Vol 1 – Chapter 24 (Battle Royale 2)
169 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
  • 3rd Person POV

“What’s that?”

Dyne mid-comments stopped upon hearing that word as he looks to the source of that voice.

One of the spectating players point his index finger at something above the 3D holographic image of Section C. It shows on the projected sky that eerie grey clouds begun to gather on the sky unnaturally. Creating a whirlpool in the sky accompanied by several flashes of bright light.

Dyne follows that direction as he sees what’s happening. His mind begin to think, he vaguely remembers something familiar at the back of his mind. As if like a scratch he can’t itch, pondering for a while something dawned upon him.

He recognizes this spell, but its name escape his memory. He certainly knew it as it was casted by one of the high-level players in MeTube during guild war that got captured in MeTube.

In ‘Eidolon’ spells are categorized based on their levels. From Level 0 which is the lowest or known by players as ‘Cantrip’ to the highest which is Level 11. Aside from that, it is further generalized by Lo-Tier, Mid-Tier, Hi-Tier, & God-Tier for ease of memorization.

Lo-Tier spells encompasses from Level 0 to Level 3, Mid-Tier spells are from Level 4 to 7, while Hi-Tier spells are 8 & 10, and lastly God-Tier is Level 11. It is already common knowledge in ‘Eidolon’ magic casters.

Dyne thought as he opens a panel then putting his own passcode as he’s given the instructions by the higher-ups regarding information to look up when unsure. The panel confirmed the entered password and lead to Eidolon spell’s list complete with its description & effects including the categories as he sorted it to Hi-Tier spell which he assumed it was.

There are around thousands of spells in Eidolon and almost 80% of it haven’t been discovered by players knowing that they much prefer flashy and damaging spells. But of course, Dyne can easily find the spell since it has been used before.

Upon scrolling for two seconds, he managed to find the information of the spell.

[Divine Judgement]

Category:

Arcane

Level:

10

Range:

Self

Radius:

8000 metres

Description:

Summons a volatile lightning storm. Within the radius of this spell for each two seconds passes; three massive lightning bolts will crash down to three different targets dealing high amount of Lightning damage. In addition, dealing additional True damage equal to percentage of the target’s missing HP. This spell can be cancelled early by the caster when they have no MP, voluntarily stopped, or interrupted.

Effect:

-Deals Lightning damage (200x INT)

-Deals 10% of Missing HP as True damage

Duration:

60 Seconds

Cooldown:

600 Seconds

Chanting Time:

10 Seconds

MP Cost:

1000 per Second

 

“Yeah… yeah this is the exact spell. How’s it possible? These players are only level 25 to 50 right? Is there a cheater?”

Those questions appeared on his mind as he sent the footage to the higher ups. Not knowing & unsure of what to do. It makes sense to accuse cheating since only one way to cast higher tier spells than what the players are allowed in their level.

That is the usage of ‘Meta Magic’ but it is impossible to do, the MP cost would be absurd that no players around that level can handle. Dyne looked up to the converging clouds atop the image as he continues to think.

“Maybe the aid of an item and / or skill? It’s the most likely conclusion”

He tries to put the mic trying to explain but solely interrupted as several rumbles of thunder can be heard echoing through the battlefield & arena with the spectators are baffled in what’s happening.

*PING*

A panel appeared on Dyne, a response from the higher-ups. His furrowed brows relaxes, and his expression of worry changes as he smirks looking quite excited. He stopped his decision to explain it to the watchers

The spectators converse with one another upon hearing another rumbles of thunder echoing through the arena.

“Is this what the host meant by more exciting?”

One player lean his head to the side talking to another as he nods fully believing that its what the host talked about.

Dyne’s gaze landed on top of the Section C particularly where Fantasia & Oji-san are fighting against one another. As a host of the battle royale event, he’s given several privileges for example;  the panel that shows information regarding spells and now a buff given to his avatar.

It is a [True Sight] buff allowing him to see anything invisible and pierces through illusions which helps in looking for any kind of deception the players are using in battle so that he can explain them to the spectators.

What he saw, is an octahedron floating about at the centre of the brewing storm currently glowing indicating that’s it is casting the spell & the focus of that magic.

The two figures looked up to the brewing clouds in confusion as with all the participating players follow suit. Flashes of light can be seen through the thick clouds and the rumble gets stronger as time goes on indicating that the spell is nearly finished. Then…

*CRASH*

Three large thunderbolts fall to different particular direction.

--

Meanwhile inside the crumbled pyramid, Magie is right in a centre of a drawing. It is a large pentagram filled with numerous runes & symbols that constantly changed its form akin to a kaleidoscope.

Beside that central magic circle, there are numerous drawings of smaller magic circles hovering in air continuously spinning around the bigger circle orbiting it.

In Magie’s vision, he can see how blue wisps of mana being weaved by the central magic circle. Then refined & poured into the smaller magic circles, so far it is working as he expected. He glances to the side seeing his MP bar dropping alarmingly fast upon casting the spell. Thankfully, he counteract it with the skill [Mana Gathering] toggled on for some time.

The large circle itself have a purpose in which allows him to cast higher tier spell than what he can do. Magic casters are allowed to use Level 10 spells when their character have reached level 70 or higher since Magie is level 40 he shouldn’t be able to.

There’s a simple method to bypassing that and that is ‘Meta Magic’. It is a way to alter spells or enhance spells to suit one’s own situation. In this case, the option is called [Breakthrough] allowing caster to use 1 spell level higher than they can.

In return, the MP cost of the spell is increased. Since he used multitude of [Breakthrough] Meta Magic option, the MP cost would be absurd, but he managed to keep supplying it due to [Mana Gathering] that have been stacked incredibly high. Allowing the spell he wanted to be casted resulting what’s happening outside.

*PING*

He can see in his peripheral vision, his points increased for each two seconds of the spell’s duration whilst maintaining the MP cost of the spell.

Although Magie is technically safe, he’s still paranoid as he knew the consequences of continuous usage of [Mana Gathering].

The [Mana Gathering] skill continuously doubled Magie’s MP regeneration exponentially but it also made him extremely vulnerable so much so that a single basic attack would’ve killed him due to the exponentially increased damage taken. That also include [Mana Shield] that constantly protecting him.

He already set up several alarms surrounding the structure to alert him of any intruders including traps to deter them but still his intrusive thoughts managed to find way into his mind.

For examples; ‘What if the duration of those spells have ended? Should I need to refresh them?’ ‘Maybe there’s a magic caster near here that identify what’s happening & have dispelled all of his alarms’

He shakes his head trying to ignore them for now as he counts on how many points he has gained. Knowing he couldn’t stop the spell since it would be a waste knowing how long the cooldown of the spell is.

“Good… I garner around 20 points for now. The spell is stronger than normal due to [Mana Mastery LV2] based on what I’m seeing. Although it helps with the MP cost since I used a lot of [Breakthrough] Its… still high”

This is the gamble that Magie have constructed in his mind to win the event. Through the POV panel of mana core, he can see some of the lightning managed to execute players. The spell is automatically assigned to target low HP players since he used another ‘Meta Magic’ option from the smaller magic circles.

Those smaller magic circles are imbued with Meta Magic [Homing]. Originally the spell [Divine Judgement] targets randomly but in this case, he made it to only target low HP players below a certain threshold.

The lightning storm continues to brew as it wreaks havoc in the dunes.

*CRASH*

“WAHHH!!!”

“GUH”

Oji-san the troubadour got hit by the lightning with Fantasia simultaneously got hit as well. Their HP meter dropped significantly from the damage leaving both of them in red.

“Wtf? Who’s fucking interrupted us”

Fantasia looked around the field while warily watch Oji-san but trying to find the caster that has just participate in their battle.

In a hurry, Oji-san brought out a lyre, it is wooden with several etchings of roses adorned in its edges as he plays a song. Indeed, his class is primarily a bard which mainly focuses on supportive magics in enhancing or restoring.

Most of the songs in ‘Eidolon’ for bard have been assigned by the system as such the song is coming out from his lyre soft and calming. Upon finishing it, Green glow engulfed Oji-san healing his HP. He knew what spell this lightning storm is but he cannot afford to figure out who’s casting it at the moment.

Fantasia smirks, for PVP the act of singing for bard means they need to be locked in animation which is a chance for her to interrupt their casting, but she didn’t since Fantasia has something in her mind as she speaks.

“I have my potion right here”

Fantasia dashes forward and made a horizontal slash dealing damage to the recently healed Oji-san. Her HP meter raised up due to the life steal she has while Oji-san’s HP slowly going down then up by the green glow on his body.

*CRASH*

Another lightning hits them both dealing high amount of damage leaving them in red again from those bolts. Fantasia grew even more berserk as she slashes multiple times. Oji-san brought out his rapier and activated [Parry] skill again.

But its rather too late to activate that skill as he pursed his lips. While blocking most of Fantasia attacks, he tries to figure out a way to escape until he looked up to the converging storms as he sees something glint on the middle of it.

*CLANG*

Not knowing what it is, he trusted his instinct as he leaped over Fantasia using her shoulder as a jump pad.

“OY! WHAT GIVES”

He thrust his weapon to that glinting point. The rose briars that engulfed his rapier glowed as he emit a piercing beam of rose petals to that glinting light. Upon connecting to it, both faintly hear the sound of glass breaking apart.

After a quick second upon hearing that sound, the storm begun to disperse as the weather return to its original state with blazing scorching sun from the sky.

As always, Oji-san is grateful for his gaming instinct to assume that’s the main cause of this problem. He brought out another skill in his arsenal earning multitude of comments from his live stream.

“Well~ that’s takes care of it. Shall we amp it up?”

Oji-san smirks and Fantasia’s furrowed her brows and readied her great-sword.

“He’s gonna do it!!!” -BreadIsGud

“Wohooo, let’s jam~” -BardEnjoyer

“[Concerto]!!”

Upon his declaration of that skill, several instruments begin to appear right beside & above him. Hovering in the air aimlessly but never stray far from him. In fact, the instruments appeared to be following him as he dodges & parry Fantasia onslaught.

Music begin to be heard across the dunes giving him multitude of buffs. Although the system have already assigned default theme in their songs. Players can put their own songs instead, this garner many attention from other participating players / spectating players.

Some already starts jamming their head upon hearing the music. As they recognizes this from Oji-san, the one who earned the title ‘One-man Troupe’. He lunges forward and now facing Fantasia head-on in her bloodlust state.

--

Upon the mana core being hit, Magie can see his panel that showed the POV of mana core just vanish.

“Ah…”

In doing so, the magic circle that faintly glow blue underneath him starts to fade as the spell have stopped.

“I guess that is it for the spell. Sigh…”

Before he can ruminate on it though, he felt a sense in his mind. Like something nagging on the back of his head. This sensation is something that he’s familiar with.

The alarm spell that he deployed have been triggered, with that Umbra begun to growl. Into a direction of the entrance of this structure.

His fur bristled making the wolf look bigger than usual as Magie toggle his [Mana Gathering] skill off near instantly removing all the accumulated stacks.

A silver glint reflected from the light from the structure can be seen as a small dagger being thrown into Magie’s position.

Magie widened his eyes in surprise as accompanying that dagger are multitude of firebolts. As if in slow motion, he can see all of this, yet he doesn’t move from his position. Knowing he keep something up his sleeve.

*TING* *BAM *BAM *BAM

The blade stop in its track & the bolts of fire hit something before it reached Magie. The dagger though managed to lodge itself to the invisible wall with spider web like cracks.

This is a spell called [Barrier]

[Barrier]

Category:

Abjuration

Level:

5

Range:

16 metre

Radius:

8 metre

Description:

Choose a target location within range, An invisible barrier is erected on the chosen place. It will deflect any forces from entering the barrier. The shape of the barrier can be changed into a wall, sphere, or numerous smaller walls depending on the caster.

Effect:

-          Create a Barrier that is able to hold (50x INT worth of Any damage)

-          The Barrier is broken when its HP reached 0 or dispelled

Duration:

Until dispelled or broken

Cooldown:

50 Seconds

Chanting Time:

5 Seconds

MP Cost:

3000 MP

 

 “TCH!”

A figure lies before Magie, from the outline he deduced that is a male wearing something that is remarkably similar to what he remembered before.

Tattered black cloak with frayed edges draped this figure body. He also wore a mask that hide his nose & mouth, but his black eyes can be seen piercing through Magie. From the creases of his mask, he can see that the assassin pursed his lips.

“Should’ve known you’re the cautious type of guy. Remember me brown rabbit?”

*FWISH*

On his left hand, multitude of small daggers appeared & his right hand is a normal looking branch if seen by naked eye. But Magie can sense that it is magical and knew that is [Branch of Firebolt]. The one he made himself to be sold.

“I see… he’s night edge”

Magie thought for a second for that realization and in that instant the assassin’s figure vanishes to thin air.

*BAM *BAM *BAM

Three daggers thrown right at Magie’s position hitting the barrier & spreading the spiderwebs crack further until…

*CRASH*

It break apart as the invisible barrier fades, a medium sized magic circle faded away. Magie knew that the barrier will withstand from that assault began to weave a spell.

“No, you don’t!”

The assassin reappears once again near him, closing the gap between the mage & rogue. But before a blade comes in contact with Magie’s body.

Night’s Edge felt a dull ache from his shoulder. As a wolf-like creature took a hefty bite on his left shoulder. Umbra’s fangs are coated with shadowy tendrils as it inflicts more damage since the wolf managed to attack from behind.

Due to that hefty amount of damage, a mechanic of the game was triggered.

“GAH!”

Night’s Edge flinched from that attack & Umbra leaped behind the mage quickly knowing what comes next as Magie completed his spell.

He clapped his hand together as a result, a shockwave of energy blast from his surroundings. The walls tremble from that energy as debris & dust fall from the ceiling.

“[Shockwave]!!”

It is a meagre Level 3 spell not many players would use those type of spells since it only deals low force damage and in close range of the caster which rarely in PVE it will be used. But in this situation, it fits the bill to use as the side-effect of the spell is significant knock back & breaking their poise.

In doing so the assassin got hit by the rippling wave of energy as his character got knocked back significantly to a wall.

The body of the assassin while being flung to that wall, he looked back for quick second of where he’s going to land as Night Edge sees from far a magical circle began to glow when he’s in proximity. Pursing his lips, he used a skill.

“[Body Double]”

Another Night Edge appeared as the real one side-step. That skill allows the user to clear themselves of any CC (Crowd Control) and in their place would be their body double.

Upon his body double contact with that, the magic circle glow even brighter and several golden chains appeared & restrained the body double inside the circle. He widened his eyes for a second but continue to keep calm. Those sets of golden chain is a unique spell that mage’s guild guards have in their arsenal.

“Shit… those are incredibly hard to escape from now as I burned one of my Crowd Control removal skill”

Since Night Edge was a criminal before, he have experienced the effects of those golden glowing chains. It simultaneously inflict [Bound], [Cripple], and [Silence].

[Bound] = Renders the afflicted unable to move.

[Cripple] = Renders the afflicted unable to use movement skills.

[Silence] = Renders the afflicted unable to use spells.

Without any CC removal skill, it would be almost impossible to escape from it. So, his alert level against the caster in front of him raised at an alarming degree.

“This newbie just suddenly get stronger like this. He must have been a special class”

Those are the deduction of Night Edge, seeing the mage in front of him. Who once before just a brown mage newbie who managed to inflict [Flee] using a simple Level 1 illusion spell to that assassin.

Special Classes in the world of ‘Eidolon’ are incredibly rare unique classes that branches from the stereotype of the normal Eidolon class. To gain a special class, it is usually something that players would encounter as they travel the world of ‘Eidolon’ & no other classes would be similar to that assigned special class.

Due to its rarity & randomness of the situation to gain a special class there’s usually no information regarding them through the net as players would have keep it to themselves knowing that it is categorized as ‘unique’.

6