Chapter 42: Gamers!
433 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hakuta never asked for it in the first place, but it seemed that Iruka would become a part of his life despite his personal feelings on the matter. Not that it was all a bad thing. She was a nice girl who just wanted friends and it was easy considering their circumstances.

That said, he did take note when telling Shiuka about it that she wasn’t has happy about the news as the others. Perhaps she was just concerned about keeping their secret, he thought. But it shouldn’t be a problem if they were good friends with her. Not to mention she didn’t even seem to dislike the girl.

These girls always confused him. Which was partly why Hakuta never wanted to be their friend in the first place. Unfortunately life always found a way to go against him at every turn. One day, he hoped, the boy would finally be able to have some command over his destiny.

Until then, it was living the life he normally did at school for now. This included Iruka still deciding it to be a good idea to try and talk with him while class was going on. Sure, they sat towards the back so the teacher shouldn’t notice, but he didn’t want to get scolded again like with what had happened on her first day.

“You know Iruka, I’m not your only friend.” He said once they finally had some freedom from lecture. “You don’t have to keep bugging me all the time.”

“But you are the only one who sits by me.” She giggled, not caring at all about the ramifications on getting in trouble. “Class is so boring, so what’s wrong with trying to spice things up?”

“The most important part is that you need to pay attention or else you’ll be a failing student.” He talked to her as if he were a parent, not a classmate. “I don’t want to get stuck tutoring you, because we all know I’m the first person you’re going to run to if you’re struggling.” It was funny about this fact as well seeing as Hakuta was far from the smartest in class. All those hours playing video games might’ve held his potential back a bit.

“It’s not like we’ll be stuck in school all the time.” She laughed off the idea of harming her future. In a sense, he wished she understood they really won’t be stuck at school for the rest of their lives. At least maybe she might consider the fact that him being available when classes were over an option.

Though perhaps it wouldn’t last that long when a bunch of boys came up to him. If there was one way to describe them it would be they were not the type people liked to look at all the time. Funny enough, Hakuta would likely fit in more with them, at least because he also wore glasses.

“What do you all want?” He asked with concern in his voice. Even though Hakuta was already aware of their answer well before they had even stepped foot into his classroom.

“Can you please join our club!?” They all asked and bowed in unison. “We could really use you!”

“Uh… What’s going on?” Asked Iruka. To her, this was a foreign sight. For Hakuta and the rest of his classmates, this was what one would call a Tuesday afternoon.

“For the millionth time, the answer’s no.” He responded politely, but firmly. “I don’t want to join the gamer club, how many times do I need to say it to make that clear?”

“But there’s going to be a major tournament coming up this weekend.” One of them said, explaining their so-called desperation. Even though this was a weekly occurrence and there was always a gaming tournament coming up. “Come on, you’re pretty much the best gamer in the whole school.”

“Okay, please don’t say something like that to try and puff up my ego. You’re not going to convince me through flattery.” He replied, adding under his breath the next sentence. “Honestly because it sounds terrible when it’s coming from you.”

Skillwise, he would put himself above everyone he knew. But that was only because most people in his class didn’t play video games. Or if they did, then they only did it as a means of casual fun from time to time. So he plainly had the advantage simply thanks to all the time he put into enjoying it as a hobby.

When it came to the more competitive side, Hakuta would find himself becoming a bit too invested in the matter. It was fun, the rush of being on the edge of winning or losing was exhilarating. But he could also turn into a bit of a jerk and get angry really easily as well. So high pressure situations were avoided and if he did want to scratch the competitive itch, then he could just find something on his game console.

Actually, considering what was considered popular in the so-called esports scene. Hakuta had also strongly considered buying a computer to play those games from time to time. Preferably when Shiuka wasn’t around to hear him yell.

“Please!?” All the boys knelt down onto the ground to beg him once more to reconsider and join their gaming club. It was a display he got used to, but wished this wasn’t the case.

“How many times do I need to tell you to stop harassing my classmates?” Another voice spoke up. It was Ino, their representative doing her job on these people who were not part of the class. “All of you, leave or I’m going to call for a teacher.” They took her treat seriously and all obeyed her commands. In quick fashion the boys all rushed out of the class back to wherever their club room happened to be located at.

“Sheesh, they just do not know how to take no for an answer.” Hakuta quipped now free from their incessant begging. “Thanks for helping me out, again.”

“It’s my duty.” She downplayed her efforts in coming in to save him. “I just want to make sure no one here is being harassed. You are fine now, correct?” Ino glanced over quickly at Iruka. “No one else is bothering you?”

“No?” He responded, bewildered as he didn’t notice her making a quick look at the person sitting behind him. “Thanks for being kind, but I don’t want to be a bother to you.” Without saying it openly, it did embarrass him a little bit that some girl kept having to come save him from his problems. At some point he would have to return the favor or he’d learn taking being indebted to others like his father always was when it came to money.

“It’s not a bother at all.” Ino calmly replied and walked away.

“Wow, your class rep is a totally stern girl.” Iruka commented. “I guess that’s why you all voted for her.”

“We didn’t exactly vote for her.” While it was true that they cast their votes for her when it was time to decide on it as a class. Hakuta recalled back when she had nominated herself that day. Literally no one else wanted to challenge her. It wasn’t that she threatened anyone or they were scared of her. They were all more scared of what her family name brought.

Ino wasn’t a girl who held it over anyone’s head. But it was hard to ignore that she was a daughter of a prominent politician. Were she not a first year, they all knew she would eventually be running for student council later this year. It simply was a part of her blood, it seemed.

So while it was unlikely she would take issue with someone running against her. No one wanted to be the person who might’ve stood a change at beating her in a vote, so no one else nominated themselves or anyone else to become their class representative. “I mean, I guess most of us would’ve voted for her anyway.”

“Wow, I really shouldn’t be getting on her bad side then.” Iruka was surprised to hear of this. She never would’ve thought in her life she would actually be classmates with someone somewhat famous.

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that.” He assured her. “Saito’s actually a nice girl. She’s always got my back and we’re not even friends.” Hakuta did not believe he had any sort of special relationship with her. To him, Ino would do this for anyone she viewed as being in trouble. “If that’s her attempt to get people like me to vote for her for student council, then it’s working.”

“If you believe so, then I’ll do the same.” As a new student who knew about a good 10 people at this school. Iruka was far from an informed member of the voting populace. Though this was only high school, so it wasn’t that important at the end of the day.

“You can do whatever you want.” He lost focus on their conversation for a bit to stare over towards the window. Or more accurately, towards someone who sat by the window.

“Are you still worried about her?” She believed him to be looking over at Ninka, who still hadn’t given up on her chase of him. It was unknown how serious she took it and if she would continue to try until he eventually gave in. All they knew was anytime he was with her was going to lead to her making some moves on him eventually.

“No, I was thinking that maybe I should go to that gaming tournament after all.” He answered. “Not with those dudes, but you know what? I was thinking of inviting you to join me.” It was nearly unheard of that Hakuta of all people would want to invite people to join him somewhere, let alone the fact that most of them were gyarus. “I think it’s about time we all do something I enjoy for once.”

13