Chapter 43: You owe me
460 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You want us to what?” Asked Rouko when Hakuta made his request known to the group. “I can’t believe you of all people want to ask us all out.”

“Please don’t say it like that.” He replied, knowing exactly how she wanted to make it sound when she also raised her volume a bit while in class. “Besides, what’s wrong with me asking you guys to join me at some gaming tournament? It’s basically like a convention.”

“But I’m surprised you want to even go there.” Said Yuusen. “You said so yourself, it’s always just filled with a bunch of sweaty nerds.”

“I still don’t feel any differently from that.” Admittedly it was a rude way he put it out to be. But the reality was that despite playing video games all the time and lamenting that his friends didn’t share his passion. Hakuta also didn’t want to actually hang out with those who were known to be into them at school. Most of them were what he would consider a bit annoying to be around, which was funny considering he already thought most people around him were annoying. “But at least I got you guys.”

“Obviously Hakuta just wants some people he’s comfortable with if he’s going somewhere filled with strangers.” Iruka was one of the few who were on board with the plan immediately. Aside from wanting a chance to get to know someone like him. She was happy with an opportunity to not have to be the one to come up with plans for the weekend.

“That’s a good point.” Shiuka also agreed. “Plus, I think it would be fun to try something new.” While she wasn’t personally interested in some random gaming tournament. It would be cool to watch him duke it out with people who were considered good. At least it wouldn’t be her getting her butt kicked by him every time they played anything remotely competitive.

“Come on, is it that hard to do something I like for a change?” Asked Hakuta. “I’m always having to be dragged along to whatever weird things you guys want to do.”

“But there’s only one of you, and a ton of us.” Rouko countered. “It’s just a lot easier for you to adapt than the other way around.”

“Except I do that all the time for you guys.” He retorted. “I mean, at some point I need something so we can keep it even?”

“You’re not wrong about that.” Said Itsuki. “You know what? Yeah sure, me and Yuusen will join you. I mean, we’re all best buds, right?” The bigger boy wrapped an arm around each of the other’s necks to pull them into a tight group hug. Except it was a group hug where only one person was doing all the hugging.

“Sure we are.” He replied with a sarcastic tone. Sometimes it didn’t feel that way, but these were his only friends growing up. “Now maybe you could let go?”

“Yeah.” Yuusen added in. “Kind of hard to breath with you bearing over us buddy.”

“Ahaha, no problem.” He released his grip from the pair. It was a good thing they never got on his bad side. Even two versus one, they would likely lose in a battle against him. But this was Itsuki, not even a fly would be harmed by him. Not on purpose at least.

“I suppose if you girls aren’t into what I’m into, then you don’t need to come along.” Said Hakuta once he was free from the tight grip of his friend. “No point in forcing you all.”

“Are you implying that girls can’t like video games?” Rouko asked with a mischievous smile on her face. “I never took you to be the stereotypical kind.”

“That is exactly what I’m saying because you’re all making this so hard.” He argued back. “And no, playing ‘Someone’s Sus’ doesn’t make you a real gamer.”

“Oh I love that game.” Iruka giggled. “It’s funny to call people sus in real life!” He rolled his eyes. If he never heard that word ever again, it would be too soon. “Anyway, I don’t know much about video games, but I still want to go anyway.”

“I don’t have anything else planned for the weekend, so I’d like to join you too.” Said Shiuka. All there was at home was Iruka’s dad doing his job of carrying out a bunch of heavy objects out of the attic and basement to either donate to a museum or sell them to some collectors.

Surely no issues should arise while he did so alone. The worst that could happen would consist of him being cursed and chased by an evil spirit. Or perhaps accidentally unleashing upon the world an old ghost who would create an army to take over the world. That would be crazy if it did happen, and even if it did it wouldn’t matter. He was a grown man who could take care of himself.

“Well if everyone else is going, then clearly we need to join too.” Said Ninka. “Not like we have anything else planned for the weekend.”

“Sure, I’m on board with it.” Rouko followed up.

“I feel like you guys only argued with me just for the fun of it.” Hakuta sighed in a mixture of relief and disappointment. If they were all going to accept anyway, it seemed their initial hesitation was pointless. No one seemed to take him seriously half the time, only wanting to do things for fun. Even if there was no need for those kinds of fun and games. “But whatever, I’ll just need to tell you all what we need to do so no one’s surprised.”

He explained to them the plan on arriving to the location. It was simply the next town over, which meant they needed to ride on a bus to get there. The event was only to take place over the day and they would be headed home by evening. “It’s easy, I’m sure a bunch of high schoolers don’t need to worry about breaking any rules.

Of course, he knew these boys and girls well. They might as well be treated as elementary school students who needed adult supervision.

The rest of the week went by uneventfully. Nothing special happened, which was good so he didn’t have anything to worry about when Saturday finally rolled around for him to have the others join him in the morning by the bus station.

“Ugh, I hate getting up early on a Saturday.” He was accompanied by the other boys who also arrived rather early. Hakuta knew he couldn’t just leave at the same time as Shiuka. In reality no one would’ve questioned them arriving at the same time, seeing as they would all be too tired from waking up early to be suspicious. So it was an unnecessary precaution.

“Oh you guys are tired?” He responded in irritated manner. The boy had to get up hours before getting here, which was already early as it was, just so he could grab a shower before Shiuka even woke up. Then he quickly made some breakfast for the pair and left with some toast to wait here for the others. It was good he was the one who wanted to be here, or else he might be really angry.

They didn’t have to wait long as more people started to crowd the bus station. The gamer club wasn’t kidding when they said it was a major tournament. It seemed the kind of people who Hakuta had described as a ‘bunch of sweaty nerds’ were gathering around. “Hmm, maybe this wasn’t the greatest idea I could’ve come up with.” There was some doubt growing inside of him. He was concerned the girls might become creeped out and decide to dip on them.

Fortunately his worries were not fulfilled as the other girls eventually arrived. Though Rouko did come by with just minutes to spare before the bus would arrive to pick them up. He had expected it, but did wish they had some care for the schedule.

“Looks like everyone’s here.” Said Shiuka. She had taken her sweet time in freshening up after he went on ahead. Mostly thanks to his efforts in getting an early shower and making breakfast for her.

“We’re just going to a gaming tournament.” He whispered over to her. It was a bit overkill in his eyes, but it also made it difficult to keep his eyes off her. Despite seeing each other all the time at home, he felt himself blushing just watching her. “But you look nice.”

“Hehe, I can’t believe a little makeup gets you going.” She giggled and teased him for the compliment. Not that it didn’t make her really happy to get one from him.

“Okay everyone.” He exited their private conversation to state out loud for the others that their bus had arrived. “Now let’s all make sure we’re not separated from each other.” He knew from counting out in his head they were an odd number of people. So simply pairing up on the seats would not be possible.

As it would turn out, he didn’t have to worry about that when he saw three of the girls taking right to the back of the bus where there was a long bench for plenty of people. In fact, it was enough to take along the two boys as it sat five. “Lucky them.” He commented, giving them a wave. Hakuta didn’t mind sitting on his own as he took a spot a little ways in front of them. He had gotten there first, and therefore had taken a window seat. Which was no his preference, but he hadn’t seen the last girl.

Who would be that last girl, he wondered. Hakuta turned back to see who had already grabbed a seat, which was when his eyes widened in the sudden realization on who would be stuck with.

“Guess the two of us are the odd ones out.” Said Ninka as she went down to sit besides him as their bus ride got started.

15