Chapter 51: Connections
365 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hmm, I wonder where Yuusen and Itsuki are?” Hakuta asked as the players on stage began their match. It had been a while since he last saw them after they abandoned him to go so some random booth because it had a cutie. “They’re my friends, kind of weird to spend so little time with them.”

“You know, I don’t think I mind that at all.” Shiuka responded. Where they were in a good station as it were. Adding more people would only serve to make things more complicated when the simplicity was better for her. “I’m sure they can take care of themselves.”

“You’re only saying that because you’re not really friends with them.” He countered. Hakuta knew this group was odd with their obvious divide. At the same time, the other boys did seem to enjoy their time with the other girls. Somehow even he had gotten tangled into their misadventures.

It made him wonder about their living situation. How he always blamed it on him getting stuck with these people. But realistically was this going to happen anyway? Yuusen and Itsuki were his friends after all, so he’d probably find himself dragged along regardless?

Well, considering the girl he stood besides as they watched the match, there were certainly some major differences. For starters, Shiuka was someone he did consider a genuine friend. It wasn’t just because they lived with each other. He truly did enjoy being with her, which was helpful considering the circumstances.

“Don’t get me wrong, I like them.” She clarified to make sure he didn’t feel the need to defend the ones he was closest too. “I just guess that out of all you guys, I’m… Good with you the most.”

“Gee thanks.” He wasn’t sure why she put it in that way. Hakuta hoped she wasn’t just trying to bear his presence instead of enjoying it. “I guess in fairness, I’m pretty much the same too.” Ninka’s words repeated within his head. About how she and Rouko were just along for the ride in his world because all he cared about was Shiuka.

“You make it sound like a bad thing.” She noticed a worried look on his face. “Do you want to go somewhere else?” They were surrounded by a growing amount of people as the match went underway. The action was intense and the audience was cheering so loudly that it made it difficult to have a private conversation.

“I don’t know.” He hesitated on the offer. They weren’t in a place where one should have a serious conversation. Not only was there a lack of privacy, but he didn’t want to ruin the mood or fun they were having. “You don’t mind?”

“Hakuta, most of the stuff here isn’t for me. I’m not fussed about it.” She assured him there was no trouble for her.

“Okay.” He relented and took a step away from the crowd with her. “But only because it’s you.”

“Don’t I feel lucky.” She giggled, taking him away from the girls. Now for the first time since entering the tournament, they would be alone together. The first time when she pulled him aside over why Ninka was mad didn’t count. Since that was only a minute at most and it was for something unrelated to the pair. “So what’s bugging you?”

“It’s something that Ninka said to me earlier.” He explained to her. “Do you think she and Rouko feel a bit left out by me over you?” She stared at him for a bit while pondering his words. What did it mean for her friend to care about something like that? Sure, she knew that Ninka apparently had the plan on getting Hakuta as a boyfriend. It didn’t seem to work, but why would she care about her own relationship with the guy?

“I didn’t think they would.” She finally answered. “I mean, maybe Ninka but I’m pretty sure Rouko doesn’t care.”

“But I feel kind of bad when I think about it.” He replied. They walked about aimlessly through the somewhat more empty aisles. With most people heading off to watch the main event, it was easier to have a personal conversation more than ever. “What kind of friend group are we?”

“Oh, that makes so much sense now.” Shiuka came to a revelation on his attitude on the matter. This was apparently hilarious to her as she began to laugh. The girl had to stop walking because of how hard she was laughing at him.

“What?” He looked at her, bewildered as to why she seemed to be mocking him. However, she had still yet to complete her laughter towards him and didn’t reply to his questions. “What’s so funny?” He asked again to no avail. “Come on, I didn’t want to talk to you just so you could make fun of me.”

“I’m… I’m not making… Making fun of you.” Finally she was able to speak, though it was still a challenge to do so over her of laughing. “It’s just that you’re way too nice.”

“I wouldn’t call myself that nice.” Hakuta always viewed himself as a bit cold. At least towards a lot of people who annoyed him. Though she used to be a part of that group and now they were friends.

“I definitely know all about that.” She remembered the times before they became housemates. “But now that we are actually friends, I realize you’re a total softy.”

“I swear now you really are making fun of me.” He began to regret a bit on listening to her advice on having this conversation. He could’ve just been with the rest of the crowd enjoying the match. Considering the loud cheering going on that they could hear, even though they were far from the audience, meant it must’ve been an exciting one.

“It’s a good thing.” She assured him. “I always thought you were some anti-social boy who played video games. Now I know you’re actually a dude who wants to be nice to everyone, who also plays video games.”

“I swear you gals are always confusing.” He still couldn’t understand her position. Maybe there was a good point being made, but Hakuta didn’t feel confident that she helped him all that much. “I don’t know if this is helping. It just seems like I can’t get anywhere with you girls.”

His talk with Ninka when he wanted to try and make things good between them wasn’t great either. It felt like they had never had the chance to properly set things right. All he knew was what she said only made him feel worse about his life. Was this what being social was all about? Because if so, then he understood why he chose the side of being a bit reclusive.

“If it makes you feel better, I can get you a treat.” She pointed out one of the boots that had become empty after people went to the stage area, the only person there being the one running the stand.

“Sure.” He couldn’t deny an offer of something free. The only problem was that Hakuta didn’t realize that she would only want to grab one big cup of a milkshake. “Wow, I don’t know if I can finished all this.” He commented as she returned from the booth.

“Who said this was all for you?” She produced a pair of straws and put them both into the cup. “It’s easier to just share.” This reminded him of what Ninka had done with him that time they were at a cafe. The first time she wanted to try and flirt with him. The moment sent chills down his spine through the reminder alone, but surely Shiuka didn’t mean much about it.

“Okay…” He accepted it reluctantly. She wasn’t like Ninka, but he did know the kind of girl she was. Shiuka just liked being a bit of a tease not because of her feelings, but because of who she was. After all, she gave him a kiss on the cheek for no apparent reasons and nothing happened after that. “Just don’t make it weird.”

They sat down at one of the nearby tables to enjoy a quick treat. She went into her straw first, then he followed up much slower in comparison to try and not be in at the same time as her for long. Not that it worked since he had to hop in soon or else she’d end up taking the whole thing for herself.

So Hakuta gingerly went to his straw and sucked in some of the cold creamy milkshake. She had gotten strawberry flavor, which was real delicious. This girl certainly had some good tastes.

Speaking of good tastes, she also had a good sense of fashion too. Shiuka’s makeup and outfit was still looking great. Even after spending a day here in a somewhat hot and crowded building with a bunch of strangers. As a boy, Hakuta couldn’t deny that she was a truly beautiful girl.

Without thinking, or even realizing it by either party, the couple both stopped sipping on their straws. Their eyes looked into the others, staring quietly for a moment. Then in the next few seconds, Hakuta felt himself moving in closer to her face. They were mere centimeter apart and only closing more of this distance. It was only a matter of a mere couple of seconds before they would…

“Yo! There’s Hakuta.” A voice called out to the pair. It got the both of them to quickly snap back to reality and return back to their seats as if nothing was about to happen. He could feel his heart racing from what he nearly did.

It was Itsuki who had called out to them. Besides him was Yuusen as the boys came up to them. “So you two decided to sneak off here?” They had found the others on the main stage, but wanted to look for their best friend instead.

“Yeah.” He answered, giving them a subtle glare. “We were hanging out away from the crowd for a bit.”

14