Chapter 55: Too Much Attention
356 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once he had arrived into the classroom, Hakuta’s thoughts could only be focused on the idea of one single thing. That the masked figure could easily be someone he went to school with. Sure, they weren’t the only high school in town. So it was entirely possible they weren’t even in the building now or ever. Yet he couldn’t shake the possibility.

There were multiple reasons for him to believe this. The first was simply the desire. It truly would be a great thing in his eyes if this person went to the same school as him. Hakuta did want someone was cool as this person, but perhaps he might’ve been overhyping them seeing as the boy had yet to see their face.

Another was also a matter of pride. All this time he had assumed himself to be the best gamer in the entire school. Not really a point that made any difference in his popularity. If anything, this likely made him appear worse in some people’s eyes. Though this was a blessing for someone who didn’t want much attention on him.

But if this masked person truly was a potential classmate of his, then that belief would be shattered. Now he really did want to have his shot in proving himself the better between the two. Though that would be difficult in both the situation on meeting them once again and actually improving his skills to reaching their caliber.

Until then, he had nothing else to do but bide his time in trying to figure out the truth. Hopefully Hakuta believed he could gain their trust enough to learn of their true identity. To go to such lengths in hiding it must’ve meant they were either absurdly shy for no reason or believed people being aware of who they really were would be a problem.

He couldn’t think of a backstory where something like the latter should be the case. There likely was very few people, let alone those of his age that needed to protect who they were in the context of playing video games.

“Hakuta, are you busy right now?” A familiar face approached him with a question. It was Ino with the usual large stack of papers prepared to be delivered to the staff room. He had to wonder if there was even a point to all this paperwork or if they only had this much for the purposes of appearing like learning was being done.

“I can help carry some of that.” He answered what he knew to be her next question to him. It wasn’t as if he had much better to do during lunch outside of eating with his friends. “You know, I’m surprised you don’t ask anyone else to do this sort of stuff.” He spoke to her as they walked down the halls of the school. “I’m sure most people would be fine with giving you some of their time.”

While he wasn’t personally against helping her. It was a bit of a drain sometimes to be the only one she ever went to. Perhaps it was because he never rejected her, as there was never a reason for doing so. Though Hakuta did still have a life to attend to. “And just to let you know, you’re always free to just chat me up whenever you want. There’s no need to have any excuses.”

“Under what circumstances do you think that’s what I’m up to?” She responded in haste. Her grip onto the paper stack tightened just a bit, but only enough to leave a small crumple for when it did finally arrive at its destination. “You’re a reliable person, of course I would gravitate towards you for aid.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that.” He assured her. For a moment Hakuta worried if he had misread her and their relationship. “It’s just that I never see you talk to anyone. And the only times we’re ever talking is whenever you need my help with something.” There were also the times where she told him and others about coming to her whenever they needed help. But that was always more about her position and responsibility as class representative than being informal.

“I’m too busy for friends.” She responded. “You know how it is, always having to take care of everything at school and making sure my grades stay up by studying at home.” All of what Ino said was true. Hakuta did understand the challenges of being a high schooler. At the same time, it came across to him more as excuses to avoid having to have a social life.

“I just want to know though.” He started up a point he didn’t want to talk about. When it came to her, it worried him how much of a touchy subject it might come across as. “It’s not because of who I am, right?” Hakuta asked, referring to himself being a notable gamer in school.

“…” She sighed, not answering right away. Ino also wouldn’t answer at all as they had walked into the teacher’s office to drop off the papers at their homeroom teacher’s desk.

“Thanks again you two.” They gave their usual gratitude whenever Hakuta had the opportunity to show up. “Honestly, you two are always helping each other out. It’s nice to see classmates sticking together. Not to mention you’re always pretty cute as a couple.” He could’ve lived without that last sentence. The only thing for him to do was react with some awkward coughing to try and move things along. These comments probably shouldn’t be made by teachers, but what did he know?

“It’s no problem, we’re only doing our job.” Ino wasn’t phased by the comments at all. She simply nodded her head in respect and replied in a formal manner.

“You know, I understand your family’s unique situation.” Their teacher brought up her father being a politician. “But as your teacher, I just want you to also understand that you don’t need to act so professionally. You’re still a young girl, try to lighten up and enjoy your youth.”

“Thank you for the advice, but I can make my own choices.” While she was respectful. Ino also rejected the concept as if it was a bad idea. Personally Hakuta certainly wouldn’t mind her also being a bit more relaxed. He believed she was too concerned about how she was perceived in the public that it held her back from most social interactions. “You know, Hakuta.” She spoke up once they found themselves privacy again. “Maybe you’re right. I think I really do hold back with you.”

“If you know that, then why not just-” He was about to suggest they just make it official about being friends. Despite always harping on and on with his other friends about how he didn’t want more friends and that people annoyed him. Hakuta didn’t mind if he got closer with a girl like her.

“I can’t.” She cut him off, beginning to walk in the direction in the direction away from their classroom. “It’ll never work out.” He was stunned by her attitude. Was she torn about being with him just because he liked playing video games? Perhaps it wasn’t only gyarus like Shiuka that confused him. Maybe it really was just all girls.

Thinking it like that, Hakuta got worried that he was the problem all the along. But there was no way, it had to be them.

But either way, he chose not to follow her. Mostly because he watched her walk into the girl’s restroom and there was no possible way he’d go in there with her. So Hakuta decided to simply return back to class to eat a little bit of lunch and prepare for the next class session.

It was here where he got ambushed by Shiuka, who had taken his desk and chair while he was gone.

“Hey, where were you?” She asked him, taking away any opportunity he’d have to enjoy the rest of this lunch period in peace. “Were you just helping Saito with some more paperwork like you do every single time?”

“Yeah, is there anything wrong with that?” He asked in return. The boy motioned for her to stand up so that he could get his chair back. His attempt ended in failure as she continued talking.

“Why can’t she ask other people sometimes? Why does it always got to be you?” He couldn’t answer that question. Mostly because Hakuta had no clue as to what Ino’s intentions and motives were. “I bet she’s only doing it to give you a hard time. We all know who her dad is.”

“Relax.” He assured her nothing was wrong. Though even Hakuta had his own reservation. Her nonanswer to him made it seem like perhaps she might be struggling within herself about her opinion of him. It wasn’t often that he cared about what someone thought about him, but in this case it was due to his own worry to their well-being. “She doesn’t mistreat me in anyway. I’m perfectly fine being with her and there’s no trouble at all.”

It was interesting for him to see her apparently care so much for his status with someone else who wasn’t her friends. Hakuta also couldn’t ignore the funny irony that both girls seemed to have a poor opinion of the other. At least when it came to his own relationship with each of them.

One day he believed it would be nice to clear up those misunderstandings. Yet alas it would not be anytime soon. For he had his own secrets to hide from Ino, just as it seemed she had her own secrets holding her back.

11