Chapter 60: Misunderstood
292 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Um, what?” Now it was Ino’s turn to be confused. While she couldn’t deny being a little glad he agreed with her. She didn’t expect him to do this so easily. And if he did agree with her, then why was he so defensive for Shiuka’s sake before?

“I said I agree with you.” He clarified, ensuring there was no confusion on her end. “When I think of Shiuka, she really is hard to deal with sometimes. That girl is loud, kind of dumb, a slob…” He then proceeded a bunch of things he knew about her after living with her. Of course he left out parts that would not make sense to someone who wasn’t aware of this fact.

“Wow, now it’s my turn to say you’re being a bit harsh.” Said Ino once he finished off his list. “But when you say it like that, it doesn’t sound like you even like her.”

“Because I realize even though we’re similar, there is one major difference between us.” He responded to her. Hakuta knew Ino was someone who he used to be, probably someone he still was. “I’ve gotten to know Shiuka.” Ino’s eyes widened as she swore he seemed to glow in admiration as his mind was filled with thoughts about Shiuka.

“You really have gotten to know her well, haven’t you?” Ino had her suspicions on their relationship. But one thing she knew, but couldn’t possibly understand in her position, was what exactly it was they went through together. That somehow along the way he went from hating girls like Shiuka, to wanting to be her friend.

“Even though she might be silly.” He stood tall in recounting all the parts he liked of the girl. “I know she has a big heart. And she’s someone who cares about everyone, even you.” It had surprised him that day, to realize that despite all their differences. Shiuka had treasured moments, memories of all her classmates. No matter how small or little they should mean in her life.

From someone whom she had a contentious relationship with like him from back then, to Ino whom she rarely talked with at all, to even that classmate C or D that Ninka dated for a bit. Though perhaps that last bit might’ve been more for her friend’s sake than anything else. “She’s a good gal who wants to live life as fully as she can. Meanwhile, I’m just some guy who wants to shut himself away for his own personal fun.”

He paused in speaking for a bit, thinking on what got him to this point in life. Maybe this was why she was mad at him the most compared to everyone. Even though he hadn’t suffered any consequences of his recent actions, and therefore had no belief they were bad. There could still be something unforeseen in the future should he continue on this path. An opportunity cost, per say, that could only be known upon looking back when he was much older.

“Wow.” Ino was awestruck to see him so enamored with one single girl. “I’ve never thought of it like that.” She sighed, standing up from her desk. “I see you never need my advice in the first place.” She said, picking up her bag.

“That’s not true.” He said, but it didn’t stop her from continuing to make her way out of the classroom. “You might feel like you didn’t do anything for me, but I’m grateful that you took some time to hear me out.”

“I don’t need you flattery.” She replied. “Anyway, goodbye now.” With that, Ino walked out of the classroom, leaving him all alone. Of course, he would not stick around in this empty room for long. Now Hakuta had a goal in mind and it was time for him to rush back to the house to talk with Shiuka.

Which was what he did the moment he was free from Ino. He took a quick steady pace, walking fast but not running to avoid appearing strange. The boy didn’t even bother take his scenic route as she should’ve already been down this path. With little time wasted, Hakuta made it back to the house.

“Shiuka!” He called out the instant he stepped in. “Are you busy? I wanted to talk to you.” Hakuta spoke, but got no response as he closed the door behind him. The house sounded eerily silent. For a moment, he worried she was still upset with him, but quickly shook off those thoughts. It wouldn’t matter once he managed to speak with her.

Hakuta placed down his school bag as he wandered around the house in search of her. Everything felt abandoned, despite him figuring she should’ve been home by now. There was nothing about her actions when he last saw her which would suggest she would be hanging out with friends. “Shiuka, are you here?” He asked again, and yet again received no reply.

This concerned him if she was really upset enough to not want to speak with him. Hakuta didn’t want another repeat with Ninka, though fortunately that part of the story ended well for him. Slowly, he went up the stairs and gingerly made his way to her room. It was the only location he hadn’t searched that didn’t include his own personal room.

He knocked on her door after taking a long moment to prepare himself. “Shiuka, are you in there?” Hakuta knocked, but got no answer. Again he took another deep breath and gently opened the door. “Shiuka?” He had one eye closed, hoping he didn’t just accidentally catch her at an inopportune time such as when she might be changing. Yet to his surprise, her room was empty.

He opened the door completely and walked inside. “Huh?” He audibly expressed his bewilderment. For whatever reason, she wasn’t here at all. Hakuta assumed she might’ve actually left to go hang out with some friends, but something about this situation gave him discomfort.

His fears were realized when his phone sent off a ring, signaling of a message sent. He quickly pulled it from his pocket to check and saw who it had come from. Shiuka had sent him a rather lengthy email.

“Hakuta…” It began. “I’m sure you’re wondering where I am. And to tell you right now, I’ve run away.” His heart sank upon reading this sentence. She had already hit him with hard information, but his pain would only grow as he continued reading. “You don’t need to look for me, not that I think you will.”

He couldn’t understand why she would believe that. Even though he had been spending less time with her lately, it didn’t mean he wanted to spend no time with her. “I heard what you said with the class rep today.” His eyes widened in disbelief. Hakuta had no clue she was there watching them the entire time.

***

In all honesty, even Shiuka didn’t expect herself to stay back to watch them. She had planned on doing what she had already had in mind since the day had begun. That she would go home on her own and then see him come back only to lock himself in his room to play video games with that new friend of his.

It was because of that, that thing had been hard with her. Shiuka wasn’t naive to realize her relationship with Hakuta had become strained. They were supposed to be close friends. They even lived with each other, even if not by choice. Even if it sounded selfish, a part of her thought she was high on his list of important people. Yet it seemed like she had been thrown to the wayside recently.

It wasn’t just him gaming a bunch with this stranger. This had been happening for a while now, likely ever since Iruka came along. Of course he just had to be her friend despite rejecting her prior. Then there was everything with Ninka, where her own friend had been bragging about giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Everything here only served to cause her a bit of distress that she felt she could do nothing about. So Shiuka had been bottling up her emotions because there was nowhere else for it to go. Sometimes she did lose control of them, such as the moment we she turned back from walking home to spy on his conversation with Ino.

She had come back just in time to hear the class representative speak rather poorly of her. It upset her, but in her mind only confirmed her point that this girl was someone whom Hakuta shouldn’t associate with. Seeing as she had shown her true colors to the boy, all she had to do was wait for him to come to her defense.

“Heh, Actually, I think you’re completely right about girls like Shiuka.” Except he didn’t at all. Instead he agreed with her and proceeded to list out a bunch of things he didn’t like about her. Each word felt like a dagger being stabbed into her heart as she stood around the door silently. She kept a hand over her mouth so they wouldn’t be able to hear her as tears formed in her eyes. Shiuka wanted to bawl her eyes out.

Eventually she couldn’t take it anymore and ran off as he continued to speak badly of her. It was pointless, she thought. Hakuta never was her friend after all. And now knowing this, she had little clue on what to do next. All she knew was she couldn’t possibly bear to see his face anymore.

Which was why she came up with the idea to run away.

7