Chapter 81: The Other Guys
226 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Hakuta laid on the hard rough surfaces of the rocks by the ocean. He pondered on what it was his friends were doing at this moment. They had sent him here just for the sake to not get in their way, supposedly, when it came to making any moves. He wasn’t against them doing that despite all his constant whining about how they acted. The boy simply wished they’d just do it rather than worry about his impact on things.

“If you promise me you won’t leave right now.” Ninka spoke up as they continued being in the resting positions they were in. “I promise no more fooling around with you. We can just chill and chat about whatever.” It was a suggestion he didn’t expect would come from this girl of all people. Especially after everything she had just put him through. But this was definitely a welcome change for him.

“Beach and chill? Now that’s something I can get behind.” He got himself comfortable in his laying spot. Well, at least as comfortable as one could get on a sharp rocky terrain. “...Maybe we should move somewhere else first.”

Elsewhere, Yuusen and Itsuki were ready to make this day one of the greatest of their lives. Without Hakuta around to get in the way, which was ironic since they were always asking him to join them whenever they were with the girls. The pair felt confident they could really show themselves off in a different light to the girls. Perhaps that might impress them and see they could be more than just friends.

“I hope you don’t mind if I try and talk with Rouko first.” Said Itsuki. There was one matter they still needed to work on and wished they could’ve planned this out ahead of time. “Now that I think about it. I don’t think you’ve really talked with Iruka that much at all.”

“That’s because she’s closer to Hakuta.” He replied. “Personally, even though she doesn’t say it. I think she’s interested in him.” Yuusen sighed over the matter as they looked at the trio of girls by the beach. If what he said was true, that would be two girls Hakuta basically took from him. Even though none of them were dating anyone and his friend spoke often on his desire to not be involved with the gyarus. “Man, it’s no fair. When did he become a chick magnet?”

“I think we’re just overthinking things there bud.” Itsuki gave him a pat on the back for assurance. “She’s just the new girl who wants to get all friendly with someone she sits next to. But that’s just friend zone material, it’s time you show her what boyfriend material is.”

“You’re right.” He stood up after being given a bit of a pep talk. “Hakuta’s just that nice guy girls hang with, but won’t consider dating.” He said, despite knowing full well that Ninka wanted to date that boy in particular. “I mean, I’m good looking and I’m near the top of the class… Oh why do they always ask for his help instead then.”

It was true that he was much smarter than Hakuta. So being aware of this fact and still losing in the tutoring battle was painful. Still, this didn’t mean he was going to give up against his rivalry that didn’t even exist in his friend’s mind. “Now let’s go!”

The pair got themselves hyped up, this would be the time that Hakuta told them to take their chance and make a move. So they walked along the hot sand on the beach towards the three girls to say something, even though there was no need for any dramatics as they all already came here together as a group.

“Finally you guys decided to stop sitting around staring and do something.” Rouko greeted them not so warmly. “We were starting to wonder if you actually thought being at the beach was lame or something.”

“Anyway, I’m glad you finally joined us.” Said Iruka, who was much more bright about the matter. She was also already enjoying most of what the beach had offer as the girl waded into the waters. “It’s great out here, you should join me.” She gave them the offer and Yuusen immediately went and snatched the opportunity.

“Don’t mind if I do.” He spoke with a bravado as the boy headed into the water and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “Come on, let’s go swimming.” She giggled in response and immediately went in deeper to splash water onto him in a bit of a water fight.

“So Rouko, how have you been?” Itsuki took advantage of his prior time with the girl as an excuse to continue speaking with her. “You like building sandcastles?”

“Do I ever!” She replied excitedly, pulling out some buckets to pick up some sand.

“Yeah, it’s pretty nice to…” Shiuka spoke up, but her gyaru senses could tell there was something unique about this situation. These boys weren’t just being their regular goofy selves when it came to being with the girls. There was an air of intentness to their actions. That they had a goal in mind as they spend time here and she wasn’t a target for them.

She had gone through this song and dance before. Ninka and Rouko were outgoing girls and the former had even gone through plenty of boyfriends in the past. Shiuka was more than experienced when it came to getting out of the way to allow some romance to grow. They even did the same for her, if only she had done it all that often. “Have fun you guys.” She sat back down under the umbrella to cover her from the sun’s rays.

It was boring to live life like this, but it seemed she had become a bit of an outsider for this moment. The girl had no clue where Ninka and Hakuta had wondered off to, but she could assume they were together considering the context of the situation. Which only served to hit her with the cold fact of being single without a guy interested in her. A weird position to be in as a gyaru. “I’ll just go get some drinks.” She announced, leaving the group for the spot with an array of vending machines.

It was a simple, though long process as it was a busy day at the beach. There were dozens of people ranging from young and old enjoying the summer days with food, drink, and fun in the sand. Shiuka got a popular soft drink for herself and leaned against a nearby wall to enjoy it, which got the attention of few.

“What’s a cute girl like you doing all by yourself?” A boy her age approached, getting rather close. She had seen this game played a million times now. There wasn’t anything wrong with him in particular, one could call him handsome and his body was nice on the eyes in his swimsuit. But at the end of the day, she simply wasn’t feeling into him.

“Nothing.” She replied, not forcing him away, but also being apathetic. “Do you normally look for girls all on their own?” She responded in coy fashion. A part of her wanted to mess around a bit. Shiuka had been left out of the group by now, so it only seemed fair. Yet at the same time, it didn’t feel right.

“Only if they’re like you.” He answered, leaning up against the wall. “Just wondering, your friends abandon you or something?”

“Eh, you could say that.” She replied. “But look, I can tell what you’re doing and I’m not going to fall for it.” Shiuka didn’t want to lead him on either. She thought about the situation and finally decided on backing off. She was here on a group outing with the rest of her friends. But more importantly, she knew she wasn’t looking for any other boys right now.

“Are you sure?” This didn’t stop the boy from continuing to be a bit pushy, testing his luck a bit. She had no idea what went on through his mind, but it was likely hoping for that chance she might reconsider if he went on being assertive. “You really do look lonely here. Why just give up the chance for some fun?” His tone indicated something of a bit more than just being friendly.

“No, I can’t.” She responded firmly. It was time to hit him with her classic counter. “I have a boyfriend, and I love him a lot. There’s nothing you can do to change my mind.”

“A boyfriend who just leaves his girl all alone here on the beach?”

“You mean a boyfriend who’s been looking for her.” Another voice spoke up from besides them. She recognized it instantly and turned in shock to see Hakuta standing next to them. “Come on Shiuka, let’s get out of here.” He took her arm firmly and led her away from the boy attempting to flirt with her.

The way he held her hand and the manner in which he guided her to safety got Shiuka’s heart to flutter. Hakuta was rarely this kind of assertive, but he certainly knew how to step up when needed. “I guess you were getting a drink when he decided to start harassing you.” He said once they were free.

“I wouldn’t say harassing.” She took a sip to calm her nerves. “And besides, I can take care of myself… But thanks for helping me out.” Shiuka sighed, hiding away a subtle smile to see him come rescue her. “Where have you been?”

“With Ninka.” He answered. “She needed to use the restroom, so that's why we’re here.” He also wanted to come by here when the boy learned of a lounge area he could sit back and relax on. After all, those rocks really did a number on his back.

8