The Inside End
116 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If there was one thing Hakuta could at least have some semblance of knowing ahead of time. It was how a date with Ninka could go. While he had always maintained, and will until the end of his life, that the time they went to a popup petting zoo was not considered to be a date on his end. She made it clear she treated it as such, meaning he had an idea of how she’d act.

Especially today of all days, when they were to go on their first date considered official by him. Now it was his turn to show her how he acted during dates. In fact, it was his turn to show himself what his etiquette would be like, as this was the first time he had ever willingly gone on a date with a girl. Hopefully he wouldn’t mess things up.

“I’ll see you later, Shiuka.” He announced as he prepared to walk out the door. The boy made sure that his shirt was appropriately fitted as he headed outside. During his walk to Ninka’s house, he considered his own living situation with Shiuka.

It was admittedly a strange thing that he had now begun dating one of her friends. They had always said not to hold back, but perhaps he might’ve taken things in a direction neither of them expected. Surely that would make things a bit awkward, especially if Ninka ever showed up and they wouldn’t know who she had come for.

He was worried for Shiuka, despite her claims that she didn’t mind. The position he put her in couldn’t have been easy and the boy wished there could be another way. There was also another concern which would be put in his face as he knocked on the door to Ninka’s home.

There it was none other than that girl’s brother to answer. Shouldn’t that man be in college, he wondered and personally would’ve preferred right now.

“Ah, looks like it’s Ninka’s new boyfriend.” He had a devilish smile on his face as he invited the boy in. Kijuu stepped aside to allow Hakuta inside, who felt it was a trap despite being the one who wanted to come by her place.

“Finally.” Hakuta heard Ninka’s voice as he stepped inside. “I’ve been waiting so long now.” She had made sure to get herself ready well ahead of schedule and it showed. The boy’s jaw dropped over seeing her all dressed up so beautifully. There was no doubt at all that she was more than prepared for their date.

Maybe she had been kidding about calling their previous outing a date because Ninka definitively looked like she took this much more seriously.

“Yeah, and you haven’t even stopped talking about the guy the whole time either.” Her brother exposed her, which got the girl blushing mad.

“You’re not supposed to say that now!” She yelled at him. It was rare for Hakuta to see her so flustered. In fact, he couldn’t remember a time at all when he recalled her acting so out of control in a situation. A sign of both her confidence, but also her own guard being dropped in front of a boy she cared deeply for.

“Anyway, shall we go now?” Hakuta asked, assuming this to be the part where they departed. However Kijuu has a different idea in mind.

“Actually, any older brother with a shred of self respect has to do this.” It was his turn to be protective of his sister and ask the tough questions. One such question being very personal and unique to Hakuta’s situation. “Why should she be dating some dude who’s living with another girl?”

“Oh, you know about that too?” Hakuta responded with dread. How did he ever expect no one to ever figure out when it seemed like every week a new person learned of the truth.

“Actually, It turns out my dad knew this whole time.” Ninka interluded. “I guess cuz’ he’s friend’s with Shiuka’s dad.”

“Do those guys not care about keeping it a secret?” He would’ve imagined that his own father would want to hide it away, but it seemed that the adults in their lives just talked about it as if it were no big deal.

“Don’t think you can weasel out of this one.” Kijuu turned all attention back to himself by getting into Hakuta’s face. “You know, I wouldn’t even think of dating a girl if she lived with some guy. That just wouldn’t make any sense, so why should I let this happen?”

“Because I’m a good guy?” He had no good answers in mind as the boy wasn’t prepared to be assaulted with a line of reasonable questions given the circumstances. “And I’ve lived with Shiuka for a while. If something were to happen, don’t you think it would’ve by now?”

“Hmm?” He took a step back and thought things over. “I’ll let you go for now.” Fortunately he gave an answer which allowed Hakuta to take a sigh of relief. “But only for now, know that I got my eye on you.”

“Yes sir!” Hakuta stood up straight and gave a salute. A man who looked like a delinquent was the last type of person he’d ever consider crossing. Making Ninka sad in any situation would mean certain death with this being her big brother.

“Kijuu stop.” Ninka stepped in between them in a playful manner. “You’re going to scare him away, even though I went so far as to let you talk to him as my boyfriend?” She gave him a cute look as one with plenty of experience doing so to get what she wanted out of her big brother.

“Alright, just make sure you treat her right.” Kijuu made a motion to indicate his eyes were on him in a threatening manner.

“Great!” She gave a thumbs up, grabbed Hakuta’s hand, and rushed outside with him in tow. He was certainly glad to have a good reason on leaving the house as soon as possible while that man was inside.

“Phew, I guess that’s what it’s like to have a sibling.” He commented, being more used to being alone in the house as an only child. Even his relationship with Shiuka couldn’t reach that level. “So, did you have any plans for our date today?”

“I was just thinking maybe dinner and a movie.” It was standard, but she had promised him she’d take things slow. Not to mention that as friends, they already had done plenty of things which were a bit more exciting. “What do you think, does ‘Two Bits’ sound like a good idea.”

“I never took you for someone to like movies like that.” He said as they walked together. It was a film which was based on a long running anime series. And by long running, it had over 1000 episodes by now with not many signs of stopping anytime soon. “Or are you just doing that for me?”

“I remember I used to watch the show all the time as a kid with Kijuu. It sounded like a good idea to me since it just came out.” She looked just as giddy as she was when she watched them as a little girl.

“I guess I’m not against watching it either.” He couldn’t say that he hated the series either. As something which had existed for decades, obviously it was more likely there would be more fans than haters at this point.

“Ah, but speaking of Kijuu…” She sighed after accidentally reminding herself of her brother and his actions from before. “He’s not wrong, you know.” Ninka couldn’t deny it made her slightly uncomfortable that he lived with Shiuka. It mattered regardless of who it was, but she couldn’t help but feel as though it was much more important because it involved one of her best friends.

“I get that…” He had little explanation on telling her how this was fine. Because Hakuta couldn’t deny that he understood it wasn’t a good thing either. “Things are a little complicated right now, but I can talk to my dad about finding a new place.”

“Oooh, or maybe you can just move in to my place!” She perked up quickly as a delusional thought entered her mind after his suggestion. “It would be great seeing you everyday.”

“I don’t know if that’s for the best.” He knew for sure he didn’t want to live there given her brother. It was one thing to have him breathing down his neck, but if that man knew where he lived, which would be obvious in this situation. Then Hakuta might feel a knife on his neck as well. “I’m sure your parents would prefer your boyfriend not live with you.”

“I’m pretty sure they like you.” They were kind to him the time he had come to her house. And they all knew about her feelings for the boy and how deep they ran, but even he had his doubts any reasonable parents would want their girl living with their boyfriend at this age.

Then again, it seemed that none of the parents to his friends were reasonable either.

“Whatever, we can worry about this later.” They were still on a date. This topic didn’t fit the concept of romance, so he turned it into something which would be much more fun for them. “We got ourselves a little movie coming up, but you know there’s not a lot of people sitting in the back.” He gave her a wink as he took her hand.

“Ooh, sounds like someone’s feeling bold.” She giggled, placing a peck on his cheek as a teaser for what was to come.

4