Gal Christmas 2
65 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ino, what do you think about Christmas?” After school, Hakuta went and asked Ino for some help. She was smart, so he figured she might be able to have some insight. Not to mention that out of all his other friends, she was likely the only one who wasn’t in love with the holiday.

“It’s a nice day to celebrate with family.” She answered as they walked outside. “Every year my father gets invited to some big event for the day, so we enjoy a nice day. Well, almost every year since we wanted to scale back a little this time.”

“Wow.” He was impressed. Hakuta only knew the day as one where he’d be stuck with his dad as they sat around with their new cheap gifts. Hers seemed so extravagant. “That must’ve sounded really nice.”

“I wasn’t that big on talking to strangers.” She admitted. “Honestly, I’m glad we’re pulling back this year. I just want to be with my parents. No servants asking if we’d like more wine or random adults talking business.” And she also wouldn’t miss the kids her age with their arrogant attitudes.

“Huh, I never would’ve thought of it like that.” He didn’t think anyone would hate it, but this was Ino he was talking to. She was much more reclusive than he would’ve expected from someone used to the public spotlight.

“Why are you asking me this?” She asked. “Seems a little out of the blue. Something on your mind?”

“I was just wondering about Shiuka.” He admitted. “Don’t tell anyone I said this to you, but she’s apparently not a fan of Christmas.”

“She doesn’t?” Now it was her turn to be surprised. The girl just seemed like she’d really love it. So to have the blues every time it came seemed the opposite of what was expected. “Knowing you, I’d bet you’re thinking of how to change her mind on that.”

“I just wanted to get an idea of why.” He responded, knowing she referred to the part where he tried to get her not to hate gyarus. “Anyway, I need to go to work. So I’ll see you in class tomorrow.” They separated and he headed off to town to get to his place of work.

This part of his day was easily the worst part of the entire Christmas season thus far. Hakuta had to put on a scratchy white beard and a red suit which made him look portly. Impressive considering he was a scrawny guy, but it was meant to give the illusion of the boy being the famed saint Nick himself.

He would then be forced to stand outside in the freezing cold to put on the act while ringing a bell. This was done to get donation, but also to promote the store’s many specialty items for sale.

His act would also get a good number of children to walk up with their parents asking about if they’d been good enough to get presents. Hakuta did his best Santa impression as to not break the illusion. He might not believe in the man, but he wasn’t about to just ruin it for the kids.

“You’re doing great out there.” The night shift manager gave him the thumbs up when the shift changed for the workers inside of the 8-Twelve. “It’s really biting cold out here. You want to take a short break and warm up a little, Santa?”

“There’s no point, I’m almost finished for the day here.” He replied in his normal voice. Hakuta liked this manager, he was very kind towards someone who was only working for a week before leaving. Perhaps it was because he was so young, despite being a manager. So he understood what life as a teen was like more readily.

“All right. If you need anything, just let me know.” The manager walked inside and Hakuta finished out the rest of his shift. Things went along uneventfully as he returned the costume and headed back home.

“I’m home.” The boy announced as he entered, closing the door behind him. “Shiuka, is there anything to eat?” Hakuta asked, but received no response. He looked around the house, but realized it was completely devoid of any signs of life. “Guess she must be shopping with the girls.”

It was normal for her not to be home and to be spending time with Ninka and Rouko. Though he thought her downtrodden attitude lately would’ve kept her more reclusive, he was glad it wasn’t the case. “Looks like I’m cooking dinner… Again.” Hakuta plopped down his things onto the couch and began to work his magic in the kitchen.

Right as he laid out all the ingredients, the boy heard the strange sound of static. It sounded similar to what one would get if they tried tuning into a radio station, but the connection was fuzzy. Where had he heard something like that before?

The radio!? Hakuta remember the radio that was used by Shiuka to contact her father whenever they were on a trip far away. Quickly he dropped what he had been doing to run over to where it was placed in the living room. The boy picked it up and scanned along the frequencies as best he could to see if it was possible to talk to them.

“Hello?” The voice of Shiuka’s father, Kankichi, finally broke through. “Shiuka? Hakuta? Is there anyone there?”

“Y-yes!” Hakuta responded loudly. “It’s me, Hakuta. Where are you two?” The two men had been gone since November, so it had been a long while since they had contact. He feared they might’ve been stuck somewhere all the way into next year.

“It’s good to hear your voice again.” He heard his dad’s voice come through. “Don’t worry about us. I bet it’s real cold where you are, but we’re stuck in the middle of a desert.” Toukou laughed, indicating he didn’t take the situation seriously regardless of how serious he might’ve actually been. “Try to stay warm up there, we’re just trying to be cool.”

“When are you guys getting back?” Asked Hakuta. “You know, since it’s almost Christmas?”

“I really wish I could confirm one way or another.” Said Kankichi. “Is Shiuka home right now?”

“Sorry, but I think she’s hanging out with some friends.” He answered.

“A shame, but a part of me is glad I’m only talking to you right now.” This news came as a surprise to him. Why wouldn’t a father who clearly loved his daughter not want to talk during this rare moment. “I feel bad because I don’t remember the last time we celebrated Christmas together.”

“Yeah, he was talking about that before.” Toukou butted into the conversation. “He told me how he wanted this year to be different and that we left so early in November that there was no way we couldn’t make it back.” At the time, Toukou assumed it was meant for him, since he didn’t want to missed the holiday with his only son. But the more they talked about it, the more it seemed to be for Kankichi instead.

“I wish I knew what she was up to during this time while I’m gone, but she doesn’t like talking about it much.” He continued. “It must be lonely here in the cold winter, so I’m sure she probably has friends come over or something.” Hakuta knew this wasn’t the case from what Ninka and Rouko told him. So now he really had to wonder what she was up to during this time.

“At least I’m here this time.” Hakuta said with unease. “So I can just tell you what she did for Christmas.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll be back in time.” Toukou declared with confidence. “I haven’t missed a Christmas with you and I’m not going to start now.”

“Though it’s looking like a near impossibility.” Kankichi was much more realistic about the circumstances. His voice through the radio sounded weak from his lack of enthusiasm. The situation had been eating away at him, from the sounds of it.

“It’ll be impossible if we keep wasting our time here.” The other man said. “Sorry Hakuta, but it’s time we end this call and get back on our journey.” Without even allowing the boy to say anything else, they had silenced the radio from their end, not even giving him any static in return.

“Well, goodbye dad.” Hakuta said in a sarcastic tone. Though he did hope for the pair of men to be able to return safely and in time for the Christmas. For him, one of the best parts was being able to see his dad and not worry about their current financial situation. It seemed that during this time, they were usually able to enjoy a few of the joys brought by the season.

Though he certainly didn’t miss the parts where their heater wasn’t good enough to keep them warm. That he was fine with leaving in the past.

4