Chapter 2: As It Should Be
1.4k 7 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our literature professor stops writing on the blackboard, and turns towards us.

"And that's the basic structure of a sonnet," she says.

I dutifully scribble down some notes, even though I don't need to. Not like I have a choice, after all.

"Now for an example." The professor looks around the classroom, and her eyes settle on our protagonist. "Lady Grenier. Would you read the sonnet on page 25?"

While certain schools do not even pretend to make an effort, the Fleurs Magiques Academy has a nominal policy of equal treatment for all students. So the professors are required to address everyone as Lords and Ladies, regardless of their standing.

Emma hesitantly stands up. "I... can't find my textbook, professor."

"Again? You really need to take better care of your belongings, young lady," the professor says with a hint of exasperation.

There is snickering from some of the other students, including me. Even from here I can see Emma's cheeks glowing with embarrassment. She's so cute. I really wish I could see it from closer up.

Gabriel raises his hand, and the usually quiet boy speaks up for once. "She can borrow mine, professor."

The professor looks at him, then after a moment she says: "Alright. Proceed."

Gabriel leans over to hand Emma his book, which she opens up to page 25.

Considering her background, she sounds remarkably elegant while reading. My past self was annoyed at that part of her, but now I'm intrigued by it. It's one of the things I'm not privy to the reason behind. My best assumption is that she has practised with Valleroy. She isn't perfect, but she is certainly passable.

Maybe in an alternate world she and I could have read poetry together. Maybe I could have written embarrassing poems about her. How might she react to that, I wonder. Just the idea makes me want to giggle.

Emma turns to look at me after sitting back down. She knows I did it. Her annoyed look isn't as cute as the embarrassed one she had before, or as when she's properly angry, but it's still something. I just smirk back at her. Though I can't help glancing at her hairpin again. The flower is definitely white. I haven't been able to get a very good look since it's fairly small, and I haven't had a chance to get really close, but it looks like some sort of orchid, or hibiscus, or... lily?

* * *

The days pass, and the first event approaches: The first round of exams. It might seem very early in the year for something like that, but the thinking is that it's more about establishing what level the students are already at, than seeing how well they've paid attention so far. No one will get penalised or expelled for bad results this time, and it counts less towards the final grade than later rounds. That doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of studying happening beforehand. Most students take it quite seriously. Depending on what training and activities the player has decided to focus on, it can turn out a few different ways for Emma.

While every subject is represented on the board of results, and Arthur has the top score in most of them, there are only four that count towards game progression. The player's choices only have any real influence over those. Extra studying can raise the overall scores on other subjects, but there's no plot significance to it. My default position for those four is third, but Emma will surpass me and get third in two of them. Each of the four is connected to one of the love interests. The two she gets third in will gain her extra points with the connected boys.

There's diplomacy and social studies, which will make Arthur become interested, and take her more seriously. As heir to possibly the most influential family in the country it's important to his future, after all. He places first, and Otto places second, but if she gets third she will get a score pretty close behind them.

In nature and animal studies Arthur also places first, but Gabriel is second. If Emma gets third, Gabriel will be more willing to open up to her as someone with similar interests.

If she gets third in the sciences (maths, physics, and such) that means she has spent extra time studying with Valleroy, and eased some of his worries that they might be growing apart. Arthur places first there too, while Valleroy is second.

The final subject is magic theory, where actually Otto is first, and Arthur second. If she gets third there, Otto believes her to be a like-minded soul, and his attempts at approaching her will include trying to have more serious conversations on the subject.

She's standing there looking at the results, so I purposefully nudge her aside before looking for myself. Not that I needed to do so to see, it's just one more part of establishing my character. She briefly looks at me, but doesn't say anything.

Let's see... seems like the player is aiming towards Gabriel or Valleroy this time. The route is by no means set yet, though. We're still a ways off from that. Emma can still go for any one of the four if she works for it, since new players often change their minds after getting to know the characters better, but she's gotten a bit of a head start with those two. Not the most popular combination, but a pretty safe one. One soft boy, and one protective boy.

I sort of hope we're not going with Gabriel's route, though. I actually like him, but it's the route where I see the least of Emma. I'm a pest in every route, but my level of involvement varies. And in the happy ending I get turned into a toad, which I can never quite get used to. It's a mishap with a potion I make to use on Emma. I don't even turn back before the end slate, and the credits roll. Hopefully I turn back at some point, but I don't know. I guess it doesn't matter. My existence doesn't extend beyond the end of the game anyway. Toad me could get eaten by an egret for all I know.

I glance towards the rest of the results. I'm first in history. The only subject where I'm able to beat Arthur. Even if it's pre-determined, I can't help feeling a little smug about it.

Hm? Emma is third? Is that... right? Well... I haven't really paid attention to the things that don't affect the routes in a while. Between that, and bullying Emma, my thoughts are quite occupied most of the time. So perhaps my memory is a little off. We're supposed to be pretty equal in academic results overall, after all. It's just... I could have sworn...

* * *

The lessons in practical magic are usually held outside. When you're playing with the elements, you should preferably be out in the elements. It also neatly avoids any damage that might have been done to the building due to any mishaps in the classroom. And there's more room to run away if needed.

Today we're by the pond, as we're working to manipulate water. Despite being referred to as a pond, the water is kept remarkably clean. It's impossible to stop insects from taking up abode there, but no fish or amphibians have been introduced, and cleansing magic is used every week. Aside from that they have taken strides to make it look like a natural pond, and not an artificial pool. It's fairly large. Letting vegetation grow around it more or less freely has helped sell the idea of it being natural, though it's likely also what attracts the insects. Bathing is strictly forbidden. It is only there for magic lessons, and aesthetic reasons. That doesn't stop some students, of course. It has supposedly also been used to help put out fires in emergencies, though no such event exists in the game.

Boys and girls are separated for these lessons most of the time, to discourage mischief. At least that's how the academy board puts it. It's ancient tradition at this point, and no one has put any serious effort into trying to change it. So we're on the opposite side of the pond from the boys. That does mean it's easier for me to commit mischief towards Emma without getting spotted by Arthur, or any of the other boys I would prefer didn't see, or intervene.

We're using our wands to draw water from the pond, form it into a sphere, and hold it for as long as possible. While I have an edge over Emma due to more training, her ability is not far behind my own. According to the script our close results in both academic and practical performance is a source of consternation for me. That a mere farm girl can be nearly as good as someone from a highborn family, and eventually even surpass them, is unthinkable. It's not how I actually feel any longer, but I have no choice except to play along.

At this point in the story I have gotten my pair of followers: Bella Poulin, and Eloise Arnette. Girls from families with lesser standing than my own, who wish to curry favour with me to increase their status in school. If they're connected to me, anyone who respects me will also respect them more. In theory. They're not bad girls at heart, but they're willing to let me lead them astray, and join in my schemes. That's just the kind of system we have.

And we have a plan.

As Emma is focused on her water orb, Bella and Eloise are guiding the orb very slowly to be more above her. It has to be slow, both because they have to control their own orbs, and because we don't want Emma to notice until it's too late. Then once it's close enough, I very quickly redirect some of my energy, and *pop*!

"Eeeeeeeeeeek!"

Such a delightful scream. Emma is drenched, and I'm back to innocently maintaining my own orb. Bella and Eloise snicker as the professor rushes over.

"What happened, Lady Grenier?" she asks.

"I-I don't know, i-it just suddenly collapsed." Emma is trying to push the water out of her face and hair. She looks really good when she's soaked, and the shocked expression on her face is very good too.

"You need to be more careful," the professor admonishes her. "And you shouldn't hold it close enough to get you splashed if it collapses. We already went over this, Lady Grenier."

"B-but, I didn't..." Emma tries to protest, but she can quickly tell the professor isn't interested in any excuses. She lowers her head. "Yes, professor."

"Well, we're here to learn. Just make sure you do better next time." The professor raises her own wand, and starts drawing the water out of Emma's clothes. Even drying her skin. For someone of the professor's ability such a thing is child's play.

"Yes, professor," Emma says again. She looks towards me, clearly suspecting that I had something to do with it. I shoot her a smug look as if to confirm her suspicions. What's the point of bullying someone if they don't know they're being bullied, after all?

* * *

Soon enough it's time for the second event: A broom race. The first-years race, while the older students watch. It's like a morale thing, to cheer everyone up. While people are of course aiming to win, there are no real stakes beyond gaining some admiration.

Except as far as the game is concerned it's a fixed event. Emma always wins, and everyone else's positions are fixed too. I believe the intent is to show off one of Emma's hidden skills. She used a broom to work on the farm, go to school, and she regularly raced with Valleroy and other kids in their area while growing up. According to her backstory notes, she almost always won.

And as a result of her win, the boys' estimation of her will rise a little more. Free points, basically. Gabriel cares the least, which is why it's more important to score points with him on the first exams if you want to go for his route. It's still possible to do it without, but it will take more effort from now on until the route lock if you haven't already started. For that reason experienced players often have a plan from the very start. Some players write guides for the best way to snag the love interests, so others can follow their notes. I suppose some people are in it more for the story than anything else, and would rather not agonise over the lesson plans, the activity schedule, and so on.

While in theory a fixed event is boring, I kind of think of it as a break. I can just switch off my mind, and go along with the ride.

The academy has a decently sized track, but we're still going for three laps. That gives everyone more than enough time for some exciting viewing and upsets.

All I really have to do before taking it easy is perform a minor act of sabotage on Emma's broom at the start. Nothing that permanently damages it, but it will put her behind in the first lap until the hex wears off, and she can start catching up. If it was too obvious what I'd done I might get found out, and end up in trouble. The professors checked the brooms beforehand, after all.

We all line up, and wait for the start signal. One of the professors blows a large horn, and we're off. I pay just enough attention to make sure Emma has some trouble getting started, and then I relax. Everything is as it should be.

It's a very nice day. Sunny, but not too warm, nor too chilly. No wind to affect our movement either. It's a perfect race day, really. As if it was written to be that way, heh. I like the feeling of air rushing through my hair. If the script wasn't controlling my body to stay focused on the race, I would have loved to just lean back a little.

The grouping is pretty tight during the first lap. It's only as we get into the second lap that some of us start to break away. Gabriel isn't much of a racer, so he ends up with the group that falls behind, while Arthur, Otto, Valleroy, and I are part of the group that forges ahead. There are some of the other students with us, but they gradually get left behind so it's only major characters vying for first place by the end of the second lap.

Shortly into the third lap Emma is right there with us, having finally caught up. With about half a lap left, she passes in front of all of us. Arthur and Otto try fiercely to keep up with her, and to pass her again, while Valleroy and I trail just slightly behind.

I watch her there, ahead of me. She really has quite the striking form while she flies. And she's so close. Right there. It's as if I could just... reach out and touch her. Almost. If I just stretched my arm a little further...

There's a loud noise, and I get startled out of my thoughts. It takes me a moment to realise that was the horn signalling that the winner passed the finish line. Ah... so it's over then. Well, it was a nice diversion, as always. I come to a stop along with everyone else.

"That was a very nice race, Lady Emma. Congratulations," Arthur says. He was actually the star of the racing team at his previous school, so it makes sense he would be quick to compliment Emma on her win.

"Thank you, Lord Arthur," she replies, and blushes beautifully.

"And you too, Lady Francine. Well done," he says next.

I give him a confused look. "Eh?" Since when is he supposed to say something to me? "Thank you?" I reply hesitantly.

"Yeah, you two were amazing," Otto says as he comes up to us. He's grinning even wider than usual. "First Emma flies past all of us, and then Francine gets right on her tail. You were closing in too. Another half a lap, and you might have passed her."

Eh? I am really confused now.

"I concur." Arthur nods affirmatively.

I look up towards the results board. What? I came in second? No. No no, that's not possible. I'm supposed to come in fourth, right after Otto, and before Valleroy. That's how it has always been. What is going on?

"U-um... Lady Francine?" Emma actually speaks up. To me. "That was really close. You were great," she says, and smiles at me. Her expression is slightly hopeful.

"Y-yes, thank you, I..." I don't know what's happening. Emma has never smiled at me before. Not like this. It's so bright. Has the excitement of winning gotten to her? I'll admit to feeling a bit of a rush myself. But could she be trying to...

No, I have to reassert order. We can't go outside the script. It's not possible. Pull yourself together, Francine.

"I have not given you permission to act so familiar with me, Grenier. You shall address me as Lady Lataille."

"Oh, what's the big deal, Francine?" Otto says cheerfully, and slaps me on the back.

I barely manage to not stumble. "E-excuse me?"

"It was an amazing race. You should both be proud." Otto grins wide at me.

No... this isn't how it's supposed to go.

76