Chapter 9: New Year’s Celebration
1.4k 4 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I think this is the longest chapter. I vaguely remember not finding a place to split it up that I was happy with, so it became extra long instead.

The year is almost over. We've had the third and final round of exams for the first semester, and are awaiting the results. I think it should have gone well. Emma and I studied together, so hopefully her results will have improved a bit from the second round. Even though I'm glad she spent extra effort aiming for me, she fell a bit too far behind on certain other subjects.

Our calendar is similar to the one used on the outside, though not identical. One year is 364 days, divided across 13 months of 28 days each, and each month has four weeks that are 7 days long, for a total of 52 weeks per year. The full moon marks the end of a month, and the winter solstice the end of the year. Which means that coincidentally the winter solstice is always on a full moon. It's very nice and orderly that way.

The school year starts in week 31, right after the end of summer vacation. As the summer solstice at the end of week 26 is the midpoint of the year, summer vacation stretches from week 23 to 30. Four weeks before plus four weeks after the solstice. That is meant to give students enough time to relax after a year ends, and to prepare for the next one.

Next week we go on new year's break, which is two weeks: 52, and 1. Giving everyone the two darkest weeks of the year off. Though you could say we get a little more than that. We technically still have classes this week, but there isn't a lot they bother to teach after exams are over. It's mostly used for winding down. Everyone would rather start with fresh minds next semester, the professors included.

So for today's nature and animal studies class we have been taken outside to do some bird-watching. We're supposed to be observing non-migratory birds, but about half the class are taking it as an excuse to goof off, and relax. Admittedly the professor is pretty much the same. He brought a chair to keep watch from, but his binoculars are just resting on his chest while he's staring off into the sky. I think he appreciates the break from grading exams.

There hasn't been any snow yet, but the air is quite crisp and chilly. Everyone is bundled up nice and warm. Not many people have any part of their uniform visible. It's mostly the boys' trousers. Though there are a couple of girls who have just put on some thick pantyhose under their skirts, and a coat. They have to be more warm-blooded than I am. I've put on my riding leggings, as they are quite warm, and weather-resistant. And in addition to my thick coat, I have a woollen scarf that Lucille knitted for me. So I'm quite toasty.

Emma is also warmly dressed. She even has some cute ear-muffs. Apparently her ears get cold very easy. I've never really had that particular issue.

We've teamed up with Gabriel to actually do a bit of watching as intended. He knows what to look for, and where. And he is willing to work with me. Or perhaps he just said yes to make sure I don't do anything inappropriate to Emma. It's been over a month since I last did anything to hurt her. Close to two? Even though it feels like much longer. And I think watching the ping pong finale made people see me a little differently afterwards. No one expected the infamous Lady Lataille to hug her opponent after a loss. Though I am not so foolish as to think he suddenly trusts me completely. I have not earned that.

Emma, Gabriel, and I have found a small rise in the ground away from the others to get a bit of an elevated position for our watching. Granted Gabriel does most of the work for us. While I know the theory pretty well, I don't really know what to look for in practice. I think Emma might know more than me, but she also defers to Gabriel's superior knowledge.

I've been wondering if it's okay for me to do anything. With Emma, I mean. Is it okay if I hold her hand? Sit a little closer? I know there has been talk about us, especially since the game, but the rumours haven't gotten very far yet. Who would seriously believe that I would get involved with a lowborn student in any capacity? Personally I don't care whether they know, but I'm not sure how Emma feels about confirming that there's anything between us. I haven't dared ask.

There is something between us, right? I mean, she knows I'm in love with her. She didn't turn me down. I even got to squeeze her hand. She didn't pull away. I'm a love interest. Surely I'm not reading too much into things. Right? ... what if I'm reading too much into things? What if Emma just wants to be friends? Ugh...

"I see a pair of tits in that tree there," Gabriel says.

"Pardon?" What did he just say?

"In the old oak by the brook. A pair of blue tits."

Oh. Right. The birds. Get your act together, Francine.

"I want to see," Emma says.

I hand her my binoculars. "Here."

She accepts them, and has a look. "D'aw, how cute." I guess she found them.

"Looks like they're checking the bark for hibernating insects," Gabriel tells us.

"Do you want to see, Francine?" Emma asks as she turns towards me, and offers me the binoculars.

I can't keep a straight face any longer. The giggling starts, and I can't stop.

Emma gives me a puzzled look. "What's so funny?"

I manage to take out a mirror I brought along just for this occasion. She takes a look in it, and then gasps.

Her eyes are surrounded by black rings. Caused by the ink I applied to the binoculars I gave her.

She gives me the grumpiest look. "Francine!" She's so cute.

"I'm sorree-heeheehee." My giggling is turning into outright laughter.

"No, you're not!" she says accusingly, and I topple over.

My sides hurt.

"What's the matter?" Gabriel asks. Emma turns towards him, and I hear him cough very briefly. "Oh my."

"Don't you start too!" She's very indignant.

"I don't know what you mean," he says with remarkable composure. "Honestly, Lady Francine. Are you five?"

He's doing a good job at maintaining a chiding tone, but even in my current state I can see he's very poorly trying to hide a smile.

He does have a point. It's a childish prank, but... ever since I was reminded of how cute Emma looks when she gets embarrassed or angry, I've been trying to come up with harmless ways to bully her. Just a little. And this was too good to pass up, even if it's extremely simple humour. Besides, only Gabriel and I are here to see it. I hope this isn't ruining any goodwill I've built up, but it's like I'm incapable of stopping myself. Maybe some things sit too deep in my writing. Maybe I'm just that messed up.

Gabriel takes out his wand, and uses a spell to clean Emma's face.

"I can't believe either of you," she says, sounding very offended.

"Hey, I had nothing to do with this," Gabriel protests.

"But you laughed!"

"I most certainly did not."

I did. I still am. I can't breathe.

* * *

"Lataille!"

I look up. There's still only one person who addresses me like that.

"Valleroy."

I have been expecting this at some point. I'm surprised it took this long.

"Didn't you say you were going to stay away from Emma?" he asks in a sharp tone.

I did. "I tried."

"Doesn't seem like you tried very hard."

I genuinely tried my best, but I can see why he'd have a hard time believing that. I folded very easily, after all. My best wasn't very good.

Something that has been on my mind is that if I'm now the love interest, then who takes the role of the villain? In the original four routes most of the drama caused in the final act was spear-headed by me, but I've been clear with anyone in my social circles to not cause any trouble. So who's going to be my 'Francine'?

Valleroy is the obvious candidate. He doesn't want to see me with Emma. The last month has probably not been great for him. I imagine he's tried talking to Emma more than once, but unlike my villainy, he genuinely has good cause to be opposed to all this. For all the bad feelings between us (mostly due to the actions of my old self), I don't want him to suffer a fate similar to what I get at end of any of the boys' routes. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

So now he's come to me to try to warn me off once more. Which puts me in an awkward position. I do not want to give up on Emma, not when there's even the slightest chance of gaining her affection. But I also don't want to ruin the friendship between them. I think that would make Emma very unhappy. Is there any way for him to accept me?

"I did, but she kept coming after me. What was I supposed to do?" Maybe I'm just making excuses.

Though I can see he also seems a little troubled. "You could have turned her down. Pushed her away."

Maybe, but... "How? I don't want to hurt her again..." That I can't think of any way to turn her down without trying to hurt her probably doesn't speak well of me.

There's a pause.

"You sound serious," he says.

"I am. I... listen, I know you don't like me. And you have very good reason not to. I've done horrible things, and I don't expect you to forgive me. I know you have no reason to believe me either, but I really, truly don't want to hurt Emma ever again." I didn't mean to say quite that much, but if it can in any way convince him, then so be it.

He sits down. The way he's looking at me seems a little different. "I didn't expect to hear something like that from you, Lataille."

That's fair. But maybe that means I have a foot in the door. "As you already figured out, I like Emma. And you were right for calling out my behaviour as the twisted thing it was. I have no defence. But now that she actually wants to be near me for some reason..." I sigh. "I'm too weak to say no, I suppose. Yet I also don't want to ruin your friendship, so... is there any way we can make peace? Call a truce?"

He doesn't look pleased. "I hate that you have a point, Lataille. And that you're being so reasonable about this. Things were much easier when you were reprehensible." He grumbles.

He might be right about that. Back when I didn't have to feel any guilt about my actions, because I didn't have a choice. Or did I? I'm not sure if I truly want to know at this point.

"If she... if she changes her mind, and tells me to go away, I will... I will swallow my pride, and my heart, and do as she says." I don't like thinking about that, but I know it's the right thing to do. If she decides she doesn't want me, I can't imagine any way I'd be able to win her back from that. "But so long as she wants me to... allows me to stay close... I don't think I'll be able to walk away."

He looks really torn. "And it's not like my efforts to try to change her mind have gotten me anywhere," he says. "In fact I think it's upsetting her that I don't give up." He sighs, and I can practically feel the frustration emanating from him. "She probably wouldn't be happy if she knew I was here right now. Alright, Lataille." He looks me right in the eyes. "I can't say I trust you yet, but for Emma's sake I'm willing to call a truce. I don't want to hurt her any more than you say you do. I'll still be keeping an eye on you, though."

I can't help smiling. "I would expect nothing less. Thank you, Valleroy."

He grimaces. "Please don't thank me. It sounds really wrong coming from you."

I stifle a laugh. Maybe it's going to work out. Somehow.

* * *

Fleurs Magiques Academy is in a fairly isolated location. The reason for this is some matter of debate. The official story is that it's to prevent the students from sneaking off, and getting caught up in 'distractions'. Some allege that the location was chosen to avoid property taxes. Others say they were forced to build in the middle of nowhere by a spiteful monarch. More conspiratorial souls claim the site is extra rich in natural mana, making the use of magic easier. While there has been no conclusive proof that any part of the land is inherently more rich in mana than any other, it is possible they used to believe that when the academy was founded.

Regardless of the reason, the reality is that it's about an hour's travel by horse from the academy to the nearest town. Too far of a journey to reasonably be made on a broom, and going on foot is absolutely out of the question except in the most desperate circumstances. It's a little more reasonable on horseback, but not a lot of teenagers are very interested in riding a horse through a largely untouched landscape for an hour. Especially not in the cold.

The only reasonable option is going by carriage. It's about two hours of travel instead of one, but at least you're sitting in comfort for the duration, and can read, converse, nap, or whatever you'd like.

The academy became a bit less isolated about a decade ago when the trading post right outside of the grounds was established. You might find it surprising that it's that new, since it doesn't take a genius to figure out that opening a shop in the vicinity of so many wealthy teenagers is a good idea, but apparently they had a lot of trouble getting permission from the school council. They have every necessity shipped out to the academy, so they saw it as completely unnecessary, but sometimes necessity is not enough. Everyone craves some luxury. So eventually they caved to pressure, and signed the papers.

At first it was merely a space where traders could come to set up stalls to sell their goods, whatever they may be. Though it didn't take too long before a proper building was set up into a full-time shop. I believe it started out as a simple general goods store, but has expanded to selling basically a bit of everything. Anything students frequently asked for would get added to the shelves soon enough, not to mention whatever the owners thought to add on their own because they thought it would sell. I hear people even approach them to make deals about adding their products to the inventory, in the hopes it will be a hit. And they're willing to custom-order stuff if asked, since not everything is suited for permanent shelf space.

There is still a dedicated area for travelling traders to set up stalls beside the shop as well, though there are less willing to make the trip this time of year.

While some students use the new year's break to head back home, those of us who stay will often head into town for new year's eve. There is a celebration at the school as well, but it's honestly nice to get away a little while we can. There is the issue of needing to stay overnight if you want to stay past midnight, which travelling students typically want to do, so inns, boarding houses, and other accommodations are usually prepared for it.

The main reason for staying is the big launch of non-magical fireworks at midnight which is always very impressive to see. I should know, considering how many times I've seen it.

But there is something I will be doing for the very first time: Riding in Otto's magic carriage. It's one of the innovations from his country, that hasn't spread very far in ours yet. A horseless carriage powered by magic. It looks largely the same as a regular carriage from the outside, except that there's a compartment in the front for the driver, so they are also spared from the weather, and temperature. Apparently it's powered by a mana-stone that lets it run for about five hours if not pushed too hard. The stone recharges slowly from ambient mana when not in use, but can also be recharged more quickly by a wizard if necessary. It has a few drawbacks over a traditional horse-drawn carriage, but overall I think it's a marvellous invention. And according to Otto they're working on models that will be able to go even faster than a horse ever could, but so far their attempts at doing so have ended up breaking the carriages.

Of course Emma gets to ride in the carriage, as do the other love interests, as Otto is gracious enough to invite them all along. In truth he wants to show it off. I usually ride in a horse-drawn one with Bella, Eloise, and a couple of others. A very classy one, but hardly innovative. This time I've been invited along too, and honestly I'm quite excited. The carriage is designed to seat six, so apparently there's no problem on that front. Thankfully Bella and Eloise were very understanding. I'll find some way to pay them back.

From the inside it's not much different from a regular carriage. On smooth stretches of road you can just barely hear the hum of the mana stone, and unless you're really listening for it, it's easy to forget you're not hearing the clippety-clop of horses in front. Of course the interior is as luxurious as you'd expect of a prince's carriage. Much fancier than anything Emma has ever ridden in.

Arthur is busy quizzing Otto about the particulars of the carriage, Gabriel has brought a book, Emma is somewhat in awe at the experience, and Valleroy is more relaxed in my presence than I think he has ever been. I'm glad he agreed to a truce. Even though he still doesn't trust me, I'm sure he knows there's not a lot I can do in here even if I wanted to. I'm simply trying my very best to not seem as excited as I actually am. Not just because I'm riding in a magic carriage, but also because I'm in here with Emma, and the others. Feeling included is a nice thing. I'll miss it when I go back to playthroughs of the original four routes.

* * *

The hours pass quickly, and we're soon stepping off into the town of Cardonne. It's hardly one of the largest in the country, but its proximity to the academy has seen it grow steadily to a respectable size. Anyone going to or from the academy pretty much has to go through the town.

The festivities are already in full swing, as they started a couple of days ago. There are decorations to be found all over, but the actual festival square is right by the town centre. Due to the increased foot traffic, it's impossible to get all the way there by carriage. So we stop by the boarding house we're staying at, and intend to walk to the square after dropping off our things.

I decide to wait for Bella and Eloise before I go in. Their carriage isn't far behind ours. Emma waits with me. She's getting along surprisingly well with those two. I think they even meet up without me sometimes, though I have no idea what they could be doing.

When we're all assembled, we start walking towards the square. While that is where most of the booths, and stands are set up, there are others who have attempted to be opportunistic by setting up along the main streets leading there. Mostly food, and drinks. There are a few selling charms, and souvenirs, but I would think most of the crafted goods are in the square.

We are still free of snow, but it's definitely gotten a lot colder. And it's already mostly dark. It's the shortest day of the year, after all. So basically every food stall has warm food. Fried meats. Warm porridge. Soups and stews. A lot of pies. Even some fruit pies. They must have set aside, and preserved the fruit specifically for this. Outside of the most decadent parts of the biggest cities, where they can afford to pay for greenhouses, there is no way to get fresh fruit this time of year.

Not exactly a lot of cold drinks being served either. There's warm milk, hot chocolate, coffee, warm juice, cider, mulled wine, and so on. I like a nice cup of mulled wine, though I'm not allowed to have the alcoholic version yet. There was one time I took some from my father, and he was furious. Even if it's technically just in my backstory, I can still hear the scolding I got quite clearly.

As we reach the festival square, and the throng of people crowding it, we start to spread out. There are different things we all want to look at, and the amount of lamps set up everywhere thankfully makes it all easy to see. Though I confess my main priority is wanting to stay with Emma. Thankfully she doesn't seem to mind. We don't really have any way to find each other in all of this chaos except by accident, so everyone agreed to just head back to the boarding house when we feel like it. And to try to not end up completely alone. While the risk of anything dangerous happening is low, it's still safer to walk with at least one other person.

It turned into just Emma, Bella, Eloise, and I walking around. I was certain that at least one of the boys would stick with us, probably Valleroy, but even he vanished into the crowd somewhere. Unexpected, but not unwelcome. We look at the game booths we pass. There is the always classic ring toss, of course. The game has probably existed longer than this town, but it's still quite popular, and crowded with kids and adults alike. I imagine I could nail it easy, but I'm not tempted to stand in line. The others agree.

There is ball throwing, and dart throwing. The latter of which we actually have a go at. I thought that my archery skills might give me the edge, but I only win a small charm. Eloise on the other hand completely nails it, and makes off with their biggest stuffed bear. It looks nearly as big as her, and definitely as big as Emma. I imagine it will be a pain lugging it around for the rest of the night, but she looks very proud of it.

There is no archery booth, as there's not really room to set up something like that. Apparently there used to be one when the town was smaller, and less crowded. However there is a different kind of marksman booth.

About a decade ago firearms started popping up, using basically the same gunpowder principle as non-magical fireworks. They were imported from somewhere out east, and have started being produced in this country too. They're quite expensive, and I've never actually tried firing one. I've heard it's very different from using a bow. Because of their cost they're not really a major part of any army yet, but another non-magical marksman weapon is tempting to a lot of people. There are also experiments being conducted on whether it's possible to replicate their function through magical means.

Of course, the rifles at the booth are basically just toys meant to punch holes in paper, and are not designed to kill or harm anything. They roughly look the part, so you know what it's supposed to be. You might be able to knock a pigeon out of the sky with one if you're lucky. They don't even use actual gunpowder, it's all spring-loaded action. You pull back a hammer, the trigger releases it, and it makes a pellet fly out. I'm curious how it is to aim compared to a bow though. They say it's a very different experience, but maybe I can still do it. So I give it a go.

It doesn't start out great, as I can't quite figure out how to hold it. So in my first round of five shots I hit the target once. Down, to the side. But I refuse to give up. I think I've got it now. Second round goes a lot better, though I still don't quite nail it. I get a medium prize, and pick a stuffed sheep about the size of my head, which I give to Emma. Maybe that's a bit cliche, but she blushes really pretty as she thanks me, so it's absolutely worth it. Or maybe it's just that her cheeks are red from the cold.

I guess it's time to move on, but... where are Bella and Eloise? I can't see them anywhere around us. I ask Emma, but she didn't see where they went either. She was too busy watching me. You'd think Eloise would be especially easy to spot with that giant bear of hers, but there's just no sign of them. I hope they're not in any trouble. Or... could they have intentionally decided to leave Emma and me alone? I'm not sure which option makes me the most nervous. Regardless I don't think it's possible to find them again unless we're lucky. They're probably fine.

We decide to get some food. A pair of mutton pies. Maybe a little insensitive to the poor stuffed sheep, and my parents would definitely not approve of me having one, but I have a bit of a weakness for stuff like this. I also get some mulled wine, while Emma gets a hot chocolate. When we're nice and warmed up, we hear the bell start to toll. One hour left until midnight. I ask Emma if she's willing to go somewhere with me, just outside of town. She agrees.

It's a little bit of a walk, and we'll no longer have the comfort of the town lamps, but it's a clear sky, and a full moon, so we should be able to see. More importantly we should be able to make it in time before midnight. There's a small hill out there that's perfect for watching the fireworks from. I have never actually been there personally. I only know of it due to the game's script. It's where Gabriel takes Emma in his route. So maybe this counts as cheating, but it's a really lovely place. Hopefully he won't mind.

Though I wonder... is it okay if I hold her hand as we walk? I mean, I'm taller, so I'd kinda have to bend down a little to grab it. Would that seem too awkward? I just don't know. Oh, we're already out of the gate. Let's see, it should be this way. My eyes need to adjust a little, but it shouldn't be far. Wait, maybe now is my chance to... I mean, it would be easier to not lose each other... no, I already had that excuse with the throng of people in the city. Oh well...

"Here we are," I say as we get up there. The air feels even colder out here, but the walk has warmed me up. Hopefully Emma feels the same.

"Whoa~." She sounds suitably impressed. Thank you, Gabriel.

As my eyes have adjusted, I can now basically see the whole landscape around us just from the light of the moon, and the stars. We can see across the town too, though we're not quite high enough up to see anything except all of the rooftops. The place they're launching the fireworks from is just outside of town further down. I can make out some lights that probably mark the area where they're setting up.

"So, why bring me all the way out here?" Emma asks.

"Huh? Um... I just thought..." Pull yourself together, Francine. "There's a good view of the fireworks from here, and I thought it might be nice to watch them together... I-I'm not planning anything bad, honest!"

Emma giggles. "I see. It does seem nice here."

There's a flash. I look towards it. Fireworks are going up, but not from the main stage. They have the telltale look of magical fireworks. Possibly some students. There's always someone who starts early. The big display isn't supposed to start until the bell begins to toll, though I'm not sure whether we will hear it all the way out here. All we can really do is wait.

I take out my wand, and raise a bit of the ground to act as a bench for us, and conjure a cushion to make it less cold to sit on. It will only last for an hour, but that should be enough.

"After you, Lady Emma." I try to sound elegant.

"Francine..." She groans, and sighs. "Alright." And lets it slide this time. Unfortunately I can't tell if she's blushing. She sits down, and I follow suit.

An awkward silence descends upon us. I realise I have zero idea what to say. What do you talk about just before midnight on New Year's Eve? We have never really been quite this alone before, have we? Even in her room there was the awareness that others were just a wall or two away. But out here there's no one to see, or hear. I feel my heartbeat getting faster just from thinking about it.

"Nice weather for it," I say. It's pretty much as perfect as it can be. I guess I can be thankful to the game's creator for that.

"Mhm."

Emma doesn't say more than that. So much for my attempt at starting a conversation.

I can faintly hear the bell of the clock tower, even among the pops and crackles, saving me from having to come up with something else. Two tolls. Three. Four. Ah, there it starts. A fizzling light launches into the sky, before it explodes into a mass of sparkles that crackle as they fall back down. It's soon followed by many more. I wish I knew more about fireworks, because I suddenly find myself curious how they manage to make the different colours and shapes. It's easy enough with magic, though it would take several strong wizards, or one enormously powerful one to create a display rivalling this. I'm sure the one at the academy is also impressive, but this is something else. It almost feels like I'm seeing it for the very first time.

I suddenly feel something on my hand. "Emma?" I look to the side, and see that she has taken my hand. She's holding my hand. Oh no, my heart is starting to race.

"I'm cold," she says, and shuffles a little closer.

"O-oh..." I press a little closer too. The drumming of my heartbeat feels louder than the fireworks. I didn't expect her to... or maybe I should have. Or maybe I shouldn't read too much into it. Her hand is definitely cold, so maybe it's just for the warmth. Yeah, maybe.

"Hey, Francine?"

"Yes?"

"Happy new year."

I squeeze her hand. "Happy new year, Emma."

New year's eve is over. The solstice has passed, and the sun has turned around. The darkest part is behind us, and the days are going to get longer again. A new year awaits us. Even if it's not going to last for that long before the game ends, I still feel incredibly grateful for getting to experience it this way. If only it didn't have to end. In the next playthrough the next player will probably pick one of the other routes, and I'll have to return to being the villainess...

"Hey, Francine?"

"Hm? Yes?" Thank you for snapping me out of it, Emma. I shouldn't be thinking about that stuff, not right now.

"I've been thinking... I'm sorry it's taken me this long to give you an answer, but... I think I love you too."

"Eh?" What did she say? I think my heart stopped there for a moment. Did she just... "A... a-are you sure?" Wow, what a great response, Francine.

There's a pause. "Not really. I mean, I've never been in love before... but I think about you a lot. You make my heart beat faster. I want to spend more time with you."

Oh God. Oh God oh God oh God. Is this real? I want this to be real. But I also feel... scared. "E-even though I did so many unforgivable things?"

Emma leans against me. "I don't feel like that's the same you any longer. You've changed. I trust you." I'm not sure I've earned that. "So... even if I'm not certain... would you be willing to give me a chance?"

"Yes!" Oh God, I didn't mean to actually say that so loud, and so... my cheeks are burning. "Y-yes, of course." I try to sound more composed, even though I know that ship has already sailed.

"I guess that means we're dating, then." I can't really make out her expression, but she sounds happy.

"Yeah, I guess so."

Oh God. Does this mean I'm... I mean, is Emma actually getting the happy ending? Is that locked in now? Or can I still screw this up? Can she change her mind? Oh God. I'm freaking out. Don't screw this up, Francine. Please, for the love of God, don't screw this up.

76