Renewal – Chapter 6
52 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kano was wandering through the much larger laboratory beyond Karen’s room, calling Nove’s name, when she heard footsteps. The sounds of several pairs of heavy boots striking the metal floor in unison were approaching. She considered trying to avoid them, so as not to waste time on unrelated matters, but she was awfully tired of trying to find her way around this stupid place. It was like the other research center all over again.

And just like last time, she was in need of a guide. If people who lived here were coming right toward her, this seemed like a perfect opportunity to secure one. Now that she thought about it, she had somewhat of a bad history with guides. Hopefully this one wouldn’t be nearly so needy as the other one. But there was probably no need to worry about whoever was coming.

Unless there were yet more Kanos approaching, which she doubted. How many could Karen have made? They were probably just the ordinary ghouls of the citadel. Leaning against one of the benchtops, she waited and was proven nearly correct when the group rounded the corner ahead. There were half a dozen armed and armored ghouls, led by the vaguely familiar face of Himin. Though they were also a ghoul, Kano doubted they were anything close to ordinary if they’d been serving Shorin personally.

“So, you’re still alive,” Himin said, signaling to the ghouls, who fanned out behind her with their weapons raised. “How wonderful.”

“Somehow I don’t think you really mean that, whatever your name is.”

“Of course I don’t.” Himin sighed. “Look, what do you want? And why are you killing my ghouls?”

“Your ghouls? I thought they belonged to Shorin.”

“They did, but now he’s dead, and I’m taking over. But seriously, what do you want?”

“Maybe I don’t want anything at all.”

Himin glared at her. “If I didn’t think you’d kill me and all the others, I would definitely tell them to shoot you right now.”

It occurred to Kano that she might actually be in danger if they did fire on her, given that her force field no longer functioned. Himin seemed open to negotiation, so maybe it was worth a try. “I’m here for Nove and ghouls with her. Hand them over, and I won’t kill you all.” Kano hadn’t realized negotiation was so easy. She’d laid out the terms in a clear, easy-to-understand manner.

“Oh, right. Them.” Himin looked away, her eyes growing distant. “I’d kind of forgotten about them to be honest. Sure, you can have them.”

“Wait, really?” Kano had expected more resistance.

“Yep.” Himin signaled for the ghouls to stand down, and they lowered their weapons.

“I have no idea why Shorin wanted them in the first place, so you may as well take them. I’ve got more important things to worry about.”

“Like what?” What did they even do around here? Kano had only the haziest idea of them supervising people doing actual work. Was that really enough to keep them busy?

“Things have gotten a bit complicated around here since Shorin died,” Himin said, rubbing the fingers of her right hand against her thumb. “I’m still trying to get everything in order within the citadel, let alone the rest of the town.”

“Uh-huh.” Whatever they were talking about, Kano was pretty sure it was none of her concern. “Then take me to where Nove and the children are, and I’ll let you get back to fixing things up.”

Himin gave her an appraising look. “Say, once your friends are free, do you think you’d be willing to do me a favor? I could use your help with something.”

Kano’s lips curled back in disgust. Whatever Himin was going to propose, it sounded an awful lot like work. But she’d already been doing a lot of that lately; maybe a little more wouldn’t hurt. She could do with more people on her side, particularly ones who weren’t necromancers. “We can talk about it after you release them.”

No point agreeing to anything yet, as she still didn’t trust Himin. Nor did she have any intention of doing so—that sort of thing was for idiots. Who knew if she really intended to hand over her prisoners? And if Kano let Himin keep them any longer, she might get the bright idea of using them as some kind of leverage over her.

Himin nodded. “Okay. I’ll take you to your friends, but it’ll be a little while. They’re being held somewhere on the lowest level.” The ghoul looked around the room. “I don’t know why you came up here. How did you even get here?”

“None of your business. Now take me.” It was unlikely that her words would do anything to lessen Himin’s suspicions, but there was no good way to explain her presence here. Telling her about Karen and the other Kanos didn’t seem like a good idea. Kano wasn’t quite sure how, but that knowledge seemed dangerous, particularly to her and those who followed her. She also had no desire to try to explain the complex situation regarding Karen, especially as she barely understood it herself.

She really needed to get Nove and the children away from all this. Things were complicated enough without them around. Now that she thought about it, it was a pity she couldn’t just leave them here. She couldn’t, right? The idea was tempting, but after thinking it over, she knew there was no way she could do that. Convenient as it may be to have someone else hold them for her, it was just too dangerous here. Though it was unlikely they’d be any safer back at her house.

Kano shook her head. She’d figure out what to do with them once they were free.

1