New Life
224 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vulen made his way to Elnora's home with James walking closely beside him. While Vulen was quiet, James tried to spark conversation.

" So this fairy character, what was he like and why was he banned from the village."

Vulen looked at James with teary eyes. He couldn't control his negative emotions since they had been unsealed.

" Tanyl was the only person to treat me kindly. He fed me when the tribe starved me. He talked to me when others ignored me and saved me from their beatings."'

Vulen's voice cracked. He fell to his knees with hands covering his face, bawling in front of the surrounding elves who looked at him in disgust.

"He was banned because of me. Riggard thought that Tanyl saved my life and showed favoritism, so he got rid of him. He didn't believe that I survived with my own strength."

James kneeled in front of Vulen with an outstretched hand.

" Don't cry here. The elves around you only value strength because they are barbaric. I can tell you are different.  Showing emotion is not weak at all and it's healthy to cry. I cry when I lose my men. I cried when I lost my parents but look at me now. A strong man with morals who everybody respects. I was weak like you once, and I lost the people closest to me because of it. I look at you and see myself. Don't ever forget your goal and your true self. It'll be the key to unlocking your power. Now come on, I'm getting tired of all these eyes on us."

Vulen got up and wiped his tears away. His eyes showed a newfound determination. James' story had ignited the fire in him.

They made their way to Elnora's tree where she stood outside the door, waiting for him with her arms folded.

" I heard that you're leaving the village, boy. I don't remember giving you permission. I am your mother after all." Elnora said with a smirk.

" Riggard gave him permission to leave," James said.

Elnora's face frowned. " I'm pretty sure I was talking to my child. Not a human here to take advantage of him."

Vulen looked at James confused. ' Take advantage of me?' He took a few steps back, but James grabbed him.

" The only people here who want to harm this boy are you guys," he said, pointing his finger at Elnora.

"We're giving him a new environment. Though it may be dangerous, we're going to be hands-on training him. He'll learn actual life lessons and have actual friends. Every time he comes back here, you'll see what you jack asses have been missing out on."

Vulen looked up at the towering James. ' Friends.'

" I'm leaving, mother. I don't know when I'll return, but when I do, I'll be stronger so you can be proud of me."

" Tuhh."

Elnora turned her back on Vulen. " I'll be waiting," she said, slamming her door.

" Jeez, is being weak that much of a crime here?" James said.

" It's worse than death itself," Vulen said.

The pair made their way to James' party where Anya stood, eyeing the nearby male elves.

"  It's about time you two came. Kid, you ride on the back of my horse."

" I'm not a kid," he said in a soft tone. Since he hadn't gone through puberty yet, his voice hadn't deepened.

" Whatever. Just get on."

Vulen had to be pulled on the back of the large horse by Anya. The village people watched him leave with no farewells. Vulen looked back at the people of his village, hoping someone was kind enough to send him off, but suddenly, a familiar voice rang in his head.

" Good luck on your journey. I can't wait to see how much you improve when you come back."

Vulen's head shot around the thick forest.

" Tanyl!"

His high-pitched scream caught the attention of the party members.

"Is there anything wrong, kid? James said.

" Nothing. I thought I heard something. That's all."

The trip turned silent. Only the sounds of hooves hitting the ground could be heard, but James broke the silence.

" Well Vulen, the place we're taking you is called Aflia. One of the five great cities of Agrar. You'll be enrolling in the Magic Academy. Of course, this isn't a free ride. When you're strong enough, you'll have to work for the city or one of the houses. Agrar may not be as dangerous as Lunenmore Woods, but it's no pushover. Especially for non-nobles."

" Do you think I'll do well at the academy?" Vulen said. His voice lacked confidence. His shoulders slumped forward, staring into the back of Anya

" I think you'll do a lot better than that. Once your mana nodes are completely open and your body is fixed, you'll see that your training has paid off. I guarantee it." James looked at Vulen with a wide grin.

" I see you've already taken a liking to Vulen," Anya said.

" We are kindred spirits."

Vulen and James locked eyes. James gave him a thumbs up and Vulen replied with a smile.

The trip took almost two days, where they passed by various little towns which were protected by Aflia. The city gates were on the horizon. Vulen's eyes widened at the massive stone walls which protected the city.

" We're finally here. I can't wait to take a bath. I'm surprised that I didn't puke with this stinky elf on my back," Anya said.

" I stink?" Vulen smelled himself. ' I bathed every day.'

" Bathing in lakes doesn't make your body clean."

The party was stopped at the massive gate by the guards who let them pass after James showed them his badge. Vulen studied his new surroundings in amazement. It was the first time he'd seen so many different races. Beast-kin, high elves, humans, dwarfs, and others, all together in one place.

James patted Vulen on the back." Kid, you won't be considered a freak here. Well, you may be looked at differently with red skin and gray eyes, but they won't harass you… hopefully. Let's go register you for school. Make some friends and enjoy life. From what I saw, you deserve to live a little."

Vulen smiled at the grinning James. " Thank you."

The party split with only James, Anya, and Vulen remaining. Vulen spent his time smelling the different fragrances of food and admiring the diversity of the city.' A new life. A new beginning. I'll work my hardest and try my best to become stronger.'

He reached his hand at the sun and clenched his fist. ' I'll prove everyone wrong and force them to respect me.'

4