Redemption Chapter 24 – Dark Deals and Broken Promises
68 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sight of Lord Biustarn’s tower, gleaming red under the suns, filled me with anticipation. We’d already done the hard part of getting Soarister to help us, now we just had to get Biustarn to make good on his promises. After all, what choice did he have? This was his best chance, as well as ours, to curb the Ortisfel’s designs upon the surface.

Miusin’s warning about her father did cross my mind, but that was probably just an attempt on her part to manipulate us. While I couldn’t dismiss what she’d said entirely, Biustarn had given us little reason to doubt him. At least for a demon. We were approaching the base of the tower when Elmidath turned to me. “I’ll take care of this; you can wait outside.”

“Huh? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, nothing like that. I just figured I’d handle this and save you the trouble. You did more than enough with Yuriel, it’s about time I actually did something.”

Well, if Elmidath wanted to do this alone, then I had no problem with it. It’s not like I had real interest in talking with Lord Biustarn. “Okay, well, let me know if you need any help.”

“I’ll be fine.”
She went inside, leaving me alone with Tagath. Once she was gone, the old demon made a thoughtful sound. “It does my heart good to see her take responsibility like that, she really has grown.”

“I guess she has.” I hadn’t really thought about it, but she did seem more mature than when we’d first met.

“I don’t know how much of that was you and how much was all that she’s been through, but thank you for staying by her side.”

I mumbled something about him being too kind, partly out of embarrassment but mostly because I felt his praise wasn’t justified. Remaining with her had been far from my first choice for much of the time I’d known her, and it was hard to get around that fact.

“Well keep it up, she could use an ally in these dark times. As could you; there’s certainly no abundance of them to be found. You’re both lucky to have any allies at all by my reckoning.”

Tagath’s grim tone was jarring, especially after beginning on a happy note. He made it sound like he was utterly without allies. “I’ll do what I can for her, and for you.”

The old demon’s smile didn’t reach his eyes, which bored into me. “I’m beyond helping.”

Before I could ask what he meant, he shuffled off. I considered going after him, but I doubted he was in any mood for questions. Instead I decided to make myself useful and sought out the ogres. They were probably the last beings I wanted to interact with right now, short of the Ortisfel themselves, but I knew the chaos they could cause and figured someone should check on them.

I found them sitting around arguing beside mounds of food, as always. Or at least, so I thought, there was one difference from the usual; they weren’t eating. That, and as I drew closer, I realized there was a hushed tone to their argument that I’d never noticed before. Asking them what was wrong could only end poorly for me, but I couldn’t help myself.

“Is there something wrong?”

Aog narrowed his beady eyes at me. “We are simply a mirror for the world. The woes that ail us are those that beset all creation.”

His cryptic answer only confirmed my suspicions that I was going to regret this. “And what would be wrong specifically at the moment? Have you both actually eaten too much for once?”

Gurk sneered at me. “What a preposterous notion. The concept that such meagre fare could ever be enough to satisfy us is insulting enough to warrant terrible vengeance. Or it would, were we not concerned with greater things than whatever pitiful creature has chosen to pester us as is their wont when confronted with their betters.”

Gritting my teeth to stop the words that sprung to mind from coming out, I tried to phrase things in a way that the ogres were likely to respond to. “Would you be so kind as to enlighten this lesser being as to the specifics of your woes?”

Rather than addressing me, Aog instead spoke to his companion. “What a perfect illustration of inferiority.”

Gurk let out a rumble of amusement, though his features looked far from pleased. “Indeed. Despite his continued exposure to our brilliance, he is still incapable of recognizing the weakness inherent in concepts such as kindness. I struggle to see any purpose in continuing to converse with such a being, better that we lecture the dirt beneath our feet.”
If anyone else had said it, I would probably have been offended. But the ogres were so utterly disconnected from reality and any semblance of sanity, that it was impossible to take their criticism to heart. If anything, doing what they hated probably meant it was the right thing to do. However, it didn’t help me understand what the hell was going on.

And despite the ogre’s cryptic responses, I was quite sure something was going on at this point. Unless this was simply a mad flight of fancy on their part. I really hoped that wasn’t the case, otherwise this would all be a waste of both my time and my rapidly draining sanity. Reflexively being polite had clearly been a terrible mistake, so I switched to a more direct approach.

“All this just sounds like excuses for being incapable of explaining what’s going on.”

Aog surged to his feet, club in hand. “A preposterous accusation. Any rational being would see how patently absurd such a claim is.”

“Well prove it then.”

“Very well. The crux of the issue that concerns my companion and I is the darkness that has overtaken this land. It will soon consume what little value this place has to offer and we are currently determining the best course of action. I was in favour of remaining to oppose the darkness, as it would offer a perfect opportunity for destruction, while my esteemed colleague was in favour of abandonment.”

Gurk nodded, and got up as if on cue. “We have tarried here long enough and learnt all we can. There are lands far riper for both destruction and self-enlightenment beyond here.”

While I was glad to have gotten something of use out of them, most of what they’d said had little to do with what I wanted to know. Namely what the hell was going on. “That’s great and all, but what specifically do you mean about the darkness? What happened here?”

Aog grunted in dissatisfaction. “It is beyond our patience to explain such things to one of your limited intellect. If you are so insistent on discovering the truth for yourself, then you need only venture into yonder tower.”

The ogre gestured vaguely in the direction of Biustarn’s home before returning to his argument with Gurk, but it didn’t matter; I was done with them. Running towards the tower, I focused on my link with Elmidath. “Are you alright? The ogres said something about the darkness being here already.”

With each stride I took toward the tower, my dread grew but there was still no reply from Elmidath by the time I reached the door. Nor were there any guards to be seen, which alone should’ve been abnormal enough to cause alarm if I’d been paying attention earlier. It was a little late, but I was plenty alarmed now.

Unslinging my blade, I rushed inside. The ground floor was deserted and I sprinted up the stairs to the dining room. Lord Biustarn was seated at the head of the table, a cold smile appearing on his lips as he saw me. “I was beginning to think you weren’t coming.”

“Where’s Elmidath?”

“She’s having a well-deserved rest while she considers my offer.”

“I want to see her.”

“I’m afraid you’ll have to wait until she’s finished her deliberations.”

I wanted to tell him that wasn’t good enough and to hand her over this instant, but I was keenly aware of how powerless I was. Without Shotensho’s power, I could do little on my own against a Demon Lord, let alone whatever additional forces he might have at his beck and call. Instead I just sighed.

“What’s this offer then?”

He motioned for me to take a seat, and I sat down by the doorway while still holding Shotensho. Only once I was seated did he speak. “Have you ever considered that we might be going about this all wrong?”
“All the time, though you’ll have to be more specific.”

“I’m referring to our conflict with the Ortisfel. In the end, what do we truly have to gain by fighting them?”

“Oh, I don’t know. How about our continued survival and freedom?”

There was a brief glimmer of amusement before Biustarn reverted to his usual business-like expression. “A valuable prize, I’ll grant you. But working with them offers so much more.”

So this was the road we were going down. I don’t know why I’d expected anything from the demons other than the ruthless pursuit of self-interest even to the point of ruin. “No, it really doesn’t. At best working with them will grant you a temporary stay of execution. The Ortisfel see us only as either pawns or obstacles to be destroyed. Surely you’re smart enough to see that.”

“Oh I realize that much; their peculiarities are sufficiently known to me.”

I could only shake my head at that. Going into this blind or under coercion was one thing, but choosing the Ortisfel of your own free will was baffling. “Then why the hell are you going through with this insanity?”

“Because, if we do this right, then the Ortisfel’s presence here will be eminently temporary. And once they’re gone, we’ll be left in an ascendant position.”

“Alright, supposing we do join their side; what would we be doing for them?”

“There are a number of rifts in this world, formed during the merging, through which the Ortisfel have been ripped from their home. Once they’re closed and the Ortisfel’s essence is returned, they’ll bother us no longer.”

It more or less matched up with what Tagath had told me, but I was still far from convinced. “How do you know they’re not just lying to you? Do you have any proof that they’ll actually leave like you’re saying?”

“Not as much. But in my, admittedly limited, interactions with them I feel confident in saying that they possess limited intelligence. At least in the way we think of it. As such, they are incapable of such an elaborate deception.”

“Right, because they’ve been nothing but honest and forthright so far. What with all the forcibly taking over the minds and bodies of people “

Biustarn narrowed his eyes at me, managing to look both bored and disappointed at the same time. “Don’t be so naïve. Their conduct says nothing of their intentions. They have simply done what they must, just as we would have in their position.”

“That’s where you and I differ, I would never stoop that low.”

I expected my response to upset him, but he didn’t so much as twitch. “That’s precisely why I said you’re naïve. It’s not all that surprising for someone your age, my daughter is much the same. She too struggles to appreciate the opportunity we have been given.”

“Wait, what’s happened to Miusin?”

“Oh nothing of import, we simply had a disagreement. She will see sense soon enough.” He shrugged. “That, or she will come to appreciate the value of what I’ve done once this is all over. It makes little difference.”

“Do you understand what going along with the Ortisfel will mean? Even if they don’t harm or take over any of us, many people will still die. Including the ones under our own protection.”

He quirked an eyebrow. “And?”

“What do you mean ‘and’? Do you have that little regard for your own people?”
“I never said that, but you must consider the reality of the situation. If we choose to resist the Ortisfel, most if not all of those same people will still die. More if we’re unsuccessful. So why not choose the option that advances our own positions?”

“Because it would be wrong.”

Supporting his chin with a closed fist, Biustarn shook his head. “Funny, Lady Sarinknell said much the same thing. I suppose it’s no surprise that the two of you have managed to find only failure, despite my support, if this is the way you do things.”

While I disagreed with his logic, it still stung. It’s not like being more ruthless and logical would have prevented the catastrophe Elmidath’s father brought upon us. Or at least, that was what I deeply wanted to believe. “We did the right thing. It’s not our fault that things didn’t work out. Or even if it is, it’s not because we refused to compromise our values.”

“Perhaps not in the past, but not doing so now would certainly be a missed opportunity. I imagine you can at least agree to that?”

“Sure, that doesn’t mean we should do it though. It’s still the wrong thing.”

“Is that so? And how do you intend to justify it if your resistance leads to yourselves and your subjects being killed or enslaved? Will you still in the right then? Because that seems to be the most likely outcome if you continue on this course.”

“Maybe if we were alone, but we have Soarister on our side now.”

“Oh, I’m well aware of that. As are the Ortisfel. While I congratulate your budding alliance with Soarister, it will soon be stamped out.”

“Not if you help us protect his new domain.”

“Have you listened to nothing I’ve said? I won’t be helping you in the slightest, unless you’re willing to see sense.”

Me? He was the one that was trying to give the Ortisfel a free reign to dominate this land. “Why don’t you just help us instead? Surely Soarister is a better option.”

“Whatever gave you that idea? The Ortisfel wish to leave this world, while it appears Soarister won’t rest until he sees everything covered in his appalling greenery. The former seems far more preferable, no?”

“I suppose, but we’ve already made a commitment to work with them. Does that mean nothing to you?”
“Not particularly, no.”

“I thought you were supposed to be our ally.”

“I am, though not for much longer at this rate. That’s precisely why I’m trying to convince the both of you. Do you think I enjoy debating with children?”

Ridiculous as it was given the gravity of the situation, I had to suppress a bitter smile at his last comment. His frustration mirrored mine when I’d been trying to get anything useful from the ogres. “I appreciate the offer, but I simply can’t accept it and I’m sure Elmidath feels the same way. Now release her, and let us leave in peace. You owe us that much at least as our former ally.”

Lord Biustarn got to his feet and walked towards me. “You do have determination, if nothing else, though I doubt it will avail you much.”

Swallowing, I gripped Shotensho tightly in both hands. “Please, you don’t have to do this.”

“Oh, but I do.”

1