Redemption Chapter 27 – The Fruits of Unity
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lord Yueryurn was already waiting for us by the time we arrived, with dozens of his soldiers in an ordered formation behind him. While it was encouraging to see that he was prepared for what was to come, it also made me think he might have joined the Ortisfel after all and he’d come to end us. I shook my head, there was no point thinking about it, we’d find out soon enough.

The three of us went to meet him and we were greeted with a warm smile. “Welcome back to my home. I had not expected to see you all again so soon.”

Elmidath greeted him with a polite smile of her own and I let her handle the formalities. “Nor did we expect to find ourselves back here after so little time has passed, but the circumstances required it. I won’t mince words, Lord Biustarn has betrayed us and gone over to the Ortisfel.”

Yueryurn’s formerly jovial features darkened. “That is most troubling. The forces arrayed against us only seem to grow by the day.”

“Indeed, but we’ve also secured the help of Soarister, who will no doubt prove a powerful ally. It is that very alliance that has brought us to you once more; we must protect Soarister’s domain while he marshals his forces before he can join us in battle.”

“An odd request. Surely Soarister can protect his own land. I’d heard he was both most capable and most motivated in that regard.”

“Normally, yes, but the region in need of our aid is a new acquisition that cannot yet defend itself.”

“So, you’re asking my men to fight and die for the sake of expanding the green lord’s reach? A rather unappealing proposition.”

“I know, but it is the only option open to us that presents any hope of victory.”

“Very well, then that is what we will do.”

Elmidath looked at little taken aback that he’d agreed so readily. “Really?”

“Yes, I believe you’ve said all that needs to be said; now is the time for action. Where do you need us?”

After giving me a quick smile, Elmidath gave him directions to Soarister’s newest territory. “How long will it take you to prepare?”

“It shouldn’t more than a day to marshal my forces, then we’ll march there with all speed.”

“Excellent. We’ll leave now then and await your arrival.”

They exchanged goodbyes, and we left Yueryurn to attend to his preparations. It all happened so far that it was only once we were walking away that it sunk in. We’d done it, we’d actually gotten Yuriel the help she needed. Or at least, it would have to be enough because it was all we had.

“Well that was easy.”

Elmidath looked back at Yueryurn’s soldiers, already scrabbling to prepare for their journey. “Indeed. For once luck was with us.”

Contrary to the both of us, Miusin look less than pleased. “Do we really have to leave now? We’ve been travelling all this time; can’t we wait here until Lord Yueryurn is ready to go?”

 Elmidath shook her head emphatically. “No, Yuriel will need our protection sooner rather than later, so it’s best that we get back as soon as possible. If we fail her, then we won’t get another chance at this.”

“Can’t I at least wait here?”

“Technically you could, but I thought you were supposed to be helping us.”

“And I am, I’m just not going to be much use once we get to the actual fighting. I could probably be more useful here.”

“Fine, go with Yueryurn then. We’ll meet you there.”

“Thank you.”

I bid her good luck, and she hurried off. Once she was gone, I looked out toward the horizon. “I guess it’s just us again.”

“Yeah. Reminds me of our first trip together, just after we met.”

“Oh right. I can’t say I remember it very fondly.”

“Me neither. Still, we’ve come a long way, huh?”

“Yeah.” I chuckled. “Mostly downhill though.”

I thought my comment might annoy Elmidath, but she also looked amused. “I guess that’s just the way it goes sometimes. Still, things will get better soon. I’m sure of it.”

I wasn’t, but it was reassuring to know someone was. Even if they were only pretending to be. “I suppose that’s the best way for us to look at it. No point dwelling on what might go wrong.”
“Exactly.”

“Speaking of things that might go wrong though; shouldn’t we have asked Yueryurn about his wife?”

“I thought about it, but I didn’t really see the point after he accepted. He’s probably still on our side and asking about him would only make him suspicious of us.”

“Then we’re just going to ignore it?”

Elmidath shrugged. “At least for now. It doesn’t seem overly important compared to everything else going on, and we can always come back to it later. If it even matters. I mean if Yueryurn hasn’t sided with the Ortisfel, which seems to be the case, then we have nothing to worry about, right?”

“That’s true.”

Maybe whatever his wife was up to had nothing to do with this after all and I was just being too suspicious. It was hard not to be in these uncertain times, right after Biustarn had betrayed us. Particularly when we’d only narrowly escaped being forced to join the Ortisfel ourselves.

“Maybe once this is over we can take a trip where imminent doom isn’t hanging over our heads.”

“If the opportunity presents itself, then I’m all for it. It would certainly make for a nice change.”

I had no idea where we might go, or what we might do there, but it was a nice thought. “Then it’s a deal.”

“Are you sure you wouldn’t rather go with Yuriel? I imagine you’d enjoy that more.”

She said it rather matter-of-factly, as if she didn’t much care one way or the other. “Maybe, but if I did then what would you do instead? It’s not like you’ve got anyone else to go with.”

Frowning, Elmidath swallowed. “You’re right, I’ve done a great job so far getting rid of my family and it’s not like I have any friends.”

“Um.” Well that got awkward fast. “What about your mother? What’s up with her? You never talk about her.”

If she was also dead then it wouldn’t be a very helpful diversion, but there was a chance she wasn’t.

“She lives pretty far away from here. I don’t talk about her because there’s not much to say, I only met her a few times when I was a kid. I assume I must’ve spent more time with her when I was younger, but I don’t remember it.”

“Did your parents break up after they had you then?”

“They did, though not for the reasons you’re imagining. They were only together for political reasons and they broke up for the same. To be honest, I don’t really want to talk about it.”

I could certainly understand that, she didn’t seem to have any fond memories of her mother. At least it was better than thinking about her dead uncle or possibly dead father. Probably.

“Fair enough, it was silly of me to bring it up. If you ever do want to talk about it though, feel free.”

“Noted, but I’m pretty sure that won’t happen.”

“Well, you never know what the future might hold. It would hardly be the most unexpected thing that’s happened, right?”

“True. I guess we’ll see then.”

Clearing my throat, I looked away. “Besides, it’s not like you’re totally alone without your family. You still have me, as well as Tagath.”

“Thanks. It’s not much but it does make a difference. I’m not sure if I could handle this on my own.”

“I’m sure you could, you seem like you could handle anything.”

“We both know that’s not even close to true, though it’s nice of you to say.”
To my surprise, she gave me a peck on the cheek and then hurried on ahead. “Huh.”

Strange as the behaviour was coming from her, it was better seeing her feeling down. We really just didn’t have time for that. It might be cynical of me to think that way, but we were in no situation to be getting distracted. Even if Elmidath could be surprisingly cute at times.

2