Redemption Chapter 32 – Schemes Within Schemes
55 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I nervously licked my licks while I waited in the dark, wondering just what manner of creatures might lie ahead. “And what service are you performing for the Ortisfel exactly?”
“There is an enemy not far from here they wished destroyed; one of Soarister’s creations. Is that what has brought you and your companion here?”

Despite their question, there wasn’t the least hint of curiosity in their voice. It was hard to imagine they were asking just to make conversation, so what was it then? “Something like that. Speaking of which, would you mind showing us the way out?”

“Of course, though I’m afraid I can’t do so until we have a better idea of your purpose here. What precisely is your interest in these lands?”

“Lady Sarinknell’s holdings aren’t far from here, and we came to inspect this new threat encroaching upon her lands.”

It was more or less true, and hopefully made for a valid explanation. That was assuming they truly had no idea who Elmidath was, which was hard to believe given her history with the Ortisfel. Or perhaps we were really that insignificant to them, despite all our struggles.

“And? Have you seen what Soarister has wrought?”

“Not yet. We were planning to have a look when it’s light again, but then we fell down here.”

“What do you plan to do after you’ve learnt of Soarister’s presence here?”

“That depends on how strong his position here has become. If possible, we’d like to dislodge him.”

Tanith made a sound like she found what I said very interesting. “The Ortisfel are in much the same position. As a matter of fact, we’re in the process of destroying his foothold here right now. Why not join us and make it easier for the both of us?”

“We’ll have to think about that one, we can hardly just rush into a commitment like that.”

“I see. Is there anything we can do to facilitate this alliance?”

I stopped to think for a moment; this was all happening rather fast. “If you could bring us back to the surface, that would be a good show of faith.”

“What do you offer in exchange? Merely that you will look favourably on my suggestion?”

Her tone made it clear that wouldn’t be enough. I could technically offer my services, but the last thing I wanted was to be bound to yet another power. Particularly the Ortisfel, who knows what they might do with me once I was under their influence. Given how the last time had gone, I probably wouldn’t be coming back. What else could I offer them then? Not much came to mind, it’s not like I had very much going for me right now.

“Unfortunately that’s the best I can do right now. I’ll be happy to negotiate with you further once we’re out of here though.”

“Unfortunate indeed. I had hoped I might be able to coerce the both of you into a deal, but I suppose you’re not quite as foolish as that. Allow me to present my alternate offer.”

A chill went down my spine as the wall shifted beside me and a booming voice filled the tunnel. “Submit or die.”

“Ah, I’m guessing you know who we are then.”

“Of course I do you moron. You’re the very people we were sent here to kill. Or at least your mistress is, you’re more of an afterthought.”

Elmidath’s voice sounded in my mind. “Should we strike now?”

“I suggest we wait until we have no other choice, I don’t much fancy our chances down here.”

“Fine, I’ll leave it to your discretion.”

I switched my focus back to the imposing presence before us. “This might be a stupid question, but if you’re meant to kill us then why are we even talking right now? I imagine you could do it easily enough.”

There was nothing wrong with playing to their ego a little. It was probably the truth anyway.

“I was curious what manner of bumbling fool could have possibly ended up down here. You’re duller than I expected.”

“You’re welcome. So, what happens now then? I may as well save us all some time and say that we won’t submit.”

“Then you wish to die?”
I swallowed. It felt like I was on to something, I just wasn’t sure what. “Is there perhaps a third option?”

A burst of cold shrill laughter split the air. “Such as?”

I was scrambling to come up with a suitable alternative when Elmidath spoke up. “Stop me if I’m wrong, but the fact that you’re even considering making a deal with us makes me think you don’t work for the people who truly want us dead.” When no answer came, she continued. “That’s what I thought. And unless I’m off the mark, I imagine it would benefit you if these other parts of the Ortisfel were perhaps weakened?”

“Such an occurrence would not be unwelcome. Though do you truly believe you’re capable of that? I have more than a few doubts.”

“I believe we are, at least with Soarister’s help. Which is the sole reason for his presence here.”

“Somehow I doubt that. How exactly did you manage to broker a deal with them?”

“I simply told them what a threat the Ortisfel were, and they were happy to help us against them. So long as we could give them a base from which to do so.”

“I see, and what makes you think we would be go along with a plan to destroy us?”

“Because you don’t think there’s any chance we’ll succeed, and maybe we won’t. But I’m pretty sure we can at least put your rival in a worse position.”

“I wouldn’t call them our rivals exactly, though you make a compelling point. Still, we can hardly ally with you. You’re still our enemies.”

“We’re not talking about an alliance; we both know that would never work. All I’m asking is that you let us go free to continue our plan, which can only stand to benefit you.”

There was a long pause and I waited with bated breath; certain they were going to refuse. Was there any way out of this? If we rushed them was there a chance we could kill them before they knew what was happening? I was preparing myself for exactly that when Tanith spoke. “I accept your terms.”
I blinked in the dark. “Really?”

“Indeed. I have little to lose by this arrangement and much to gain. Perhaps we will speak again in the future.”

Huh, it almost seemed too good to be true. “It’s strange, you don’t seem much like the other servants of Ortisfel we’ve met.”
Tagath was the only person we’d met who’d retained any of his autonomy under the Ortisfel, and even he didn’t speak on their behalf as Tanith seemed to. “Likely because I am not. I am one of the Ortisfel. Now, go back the way you came and wait. Before I change my mind.”

I wanted to ask her more, but her tone left no room for argument. Still holding my hand, Elmidath gently tugged me back and we backtracked toward where we’d fallen in.

1