Birthright Chapter 16 – Hillside Repose
242 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time we found the rest of our unit, they were locked in battle against more of the Tertiums. The red sun glinted off the steel-clad soldiers as they faced off against their larger opponents. Several had already fallen on both sides, one of the soldiers was dead while the other clutched his injured leg.

Fighting in close formation, the Primis held off the larger demons. The Tertiums’ speed and strength, combined with their natural armaments, made up for their lack of equipment. They were clearly dangerous foes, even for trained warriors.

We dashed toward the combatants, Shotensho’s blade resting against my shoulder. The rough, broken ground made for slow going but we hurried as best we could though we were lucky to arrive while the battle was still going.

I dispatched the closest with a great horizontal strike, severing its spine. The beast howled and dropped to the ground. Its body spasmed, leaking green blood. A spot of colour amongst the black rocks. Between Korzan and the four remaining soldiers, they cut down the last three demons.

The leader of the soldiers, Sezren, thanked us for our timely aid, and after ensuring their enemies were dead, the soldiers tended to their wounded companion. I stood there, chest rising and falling as I tried to get my breath back. The coppery smell of blood with a bitter tinge to it filled the air. It reminded me of when I’d first arrived in this world. At least this time I wasn’t drenched in it.

One of the fallen warriors lay near my feet, a woman with pale orange skin. Her head was tilted back, lifeless eyes staring up at the dark sky. There was a great dent in her breastplate where it had buckled inward. Beside her lay one of the Tertiums, its stinking entrails jutting from the gaping wound in its chest.

Despite the violence of their deaths, they looked peaceful, like two lovers at rest. It was a disturbing image, given the monstrous nature of her killer, but somehow it was fitting. In death all their hatred, their malice, was swept away. I shook my head and tore my gaze away from them. The dead could wait, we still had to attend to the living.

Only one of the surviving soldiers had sustained more than minor injuries, he had a long cut along his leg. The wound still bled, it didn’t seem like any of us had much idea about first aid, but he could walk and it didn’t look life threatening. Feeling lost among the unfamiliar faces, I sought out Korzan. She stood away from the others, keeping watch on the area.

“What now?”

“We’re pulling back to the village.”

“What? What about the other group?” We were running away? I’d assumed the demons would stay and fight to the last man rather than retreat. Not that I was complaining.

Korzan shrugged. “We’ll meet up with them later. Assuming they’re still alive.”

“So we’re just going to abandon them?” It didn’t sit right with me. I’d only travelled with them for a short time but they were our allies, at least in this.

“It is what it is. By the time we reach them they’ll likely have either fought their way out or gone to meet to Ortyx. Not much we can do either way.”

There was a finality to her tone, one that defied argument. Maybe she was right. She must have a lot more experience with this sort of thing than I did. Deferring to her judgement, I pushed my concern for the other soldiers aside. In hindsight it did feel a little silly to be worrying about the people I’d been trying to kill not that long ago.

But perhaps that was only fitting, not much of what’d happened since I came to this world had made sense. Bit by bit it was starting to feel normal. My old life was a distant memory, it felt like something that had happened to someone else.

Was I adjusting or losing my mind? It was hard to tell the difference between the two, but I hoped it was the former. I didn’t feel like I was losing my mind but then again, I’m not sure what that would feel like either. People probably didn’t realize when it was happening to them.

It made me wish I had someone I could talk to about it. Discussing my doubts with a demon who believed everything happened due to the will of some dark god weren’t too appealing, nor was seeking the counsel of a talking sword.

With one of the soldiers supporting the wounded man, we made our way back toward the village. The dead woman was stripped of her weapons and left behind. There was no easy to carry her back or to dig a grave and the demons seemed content to leave the body.

We were subdued as we left the hills with our tails between our legs, with barely a word spoken on the way back. Everyone kept their eyes open for more of the Tertiums, but none appeared. Hopefully the ones we’d dealt with had been the last of them. I’d had my fill of fighting for the day.

As we drew near to the village, we saw smoke rising from it. Sezren cursed and left one of his men behind with the wounded soldier. The rest of us redoubled our pace. It seemed the Tertiums had attacked while we were out hunting them.

Despite their bestial nature, they were smarter than I thought. That, or someone was controlling them. The demons did seem to do a lot of that, it wouldn’t surprise me if Lord Sarinknell’s enemy used the same methods. Their situation might be similar to my own, it made me wonder if their master gives them better treatment than what I get.

At least I wasn’t dead yet, though not for a lack of trying on the part of Elmidath or her uncle. We struggled over the last hill and looked out at the village. Every building was ablaze, and other than a few bodies of villagers strewn about, it was deserted. We were too late.

Watching the fire slowly consume the buildings, I was surprised that no one tried to do anything. I suppose no one was too keen to rush into the fire. Rather than trying to save the village or do anything of use, we just watched. It was only when the raging fires nearby died down that anyone moved.

A couple of the soldiers went over to pick through the wreckage. They returned a few minutes later, frustrated at their lack of success. I don’t know what they’d been expecting, judging by their houses the villagers must be poor. Sezren’s other two soldiers caught up and we waited for the other group.

Nightfall was approaching before Sezren decided to call it quits. Whatever fate had befallen them, it didn’t seem like they were coming. They were much too late for it to have been a simple delay. Without so much as catching sight of the other unit, we left for Lord Sarinknell’s manor.

Whoever had to explain this disaster to him was in for a hell of a time, it made me glad I wasn’t in charge. We spent another night outside and arrived back at the manor the next day. The group broke up when we reached the grounds and I stood around, not sure what I should be doing now. Sezren headed toward the manor to the Lord’s residence while the rest of his men dispersed into the other buildings. Korzan turned to me. “I’m heading off too.” She gave a little wave.

“Bye.”

Figuring I should probably wait for Lord Sarinknell’s next orders, I waited outside for Sezren to finish. Assuming he’d make it out alive. I could imagine him delivering the news to Lord Sarinknell only to be incinerated on the spot. It seemed like something a Demon Lord would do. Despite my prediction, Sezren emerged a few minutes later. He was pale-faced but unburnt. I waited until he was gone and headed inside myself. Reaching Lord Sarinknell’s office, I knocked on the door.

“Come in.”

His voice and expression were as impassive as ever but he paced like a caged lion. Considering the scale of the disaster, where he’d lost almost half his remaining forces, he seemed to be taking it well. He sighed and sat down at his desk. “Well? What is it?”

I cleared my throat. “Err, it’s nothing much. I was just wondering if you had any other tasks for me.” I was going to add ‘since we’ve finished dealing with the raiders’, but that seemed… impolite, not to mention a tad suicidal. He may have been willing to spare his last officer but that didn’t say anything for my chances.

His upper lip twitched. “Not at this time, no. I’ll let you know when you’re needed. Until then you’re free to loaf around at my expense.”

“Thank you, Lord Sariknell,” I said, feeling like I was in middle school again as I bowed my head. Outside his office, I took a deep breath. I’d dealt with one Demon Lord, now it was time to find out how Elmidath was doing. At least she wasn’t likely to burn me, not literally at least.

9