Chapter 7.0 – Library, Tailing, and Stolas
239 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There weren’t any public libraries in town. The only place where one could read books happened to be a small building near the Lord’s mansion. To gain access to this library one needed to pay two large silvers and this only granted the person three hours of use. Not to mention, if you were unlucky enough to enter right before the Lord you would be unceremoniously kicked out without reimbursements.

Inside, one person sat in the far corner of the library reading a water spell book. Other than that, the receptionist and two guards made for the entirety of the building’s population. It seemed that self-learning magic fell into the expensive pass time category. This was unless you had enough potential to be admitted to a magic school.

Damon found a chair to claim as his own and opened his status screen before going to find books.

Damon Asmodeus LVL. 0 (42/520)

Charisma

Intelligence

Perception

Agility

Endurance

Strength

Mana

14

25

19

18

13

13

68

 

  • All humanoid language acquisitions
  • Arithmetic’s Lvl.6/7
  • Black magic Lvl.1/10
  • Dark magic Lvl.1/10
  • Dark spirit communication Lvl.2/10
  • Detect diseases and viruses through smell Lvl.3/5
  • Earth magic Lvl.1/5
  • Improved memory Lvl.1/5
  • Medium disease tolerance
  • Night vision
  • Telepathy Lvl.3/5 (+2)

Almost nothing had changed. Although he was pleasantly surprised to see that he gained twenty-five Exp, eight more than when they killed the bear. This probably meant that the system shared Exp equally. But he couldn’t be certain. There might be a threshold you had to pass before being entitled to the reward. Anyhow, he still had a long way to go before levelling up his magic skills. At the very least, his telepathy skill had levelled up.

Damon headed towards the magic section of the bookstore. He wasn’t very interested in history, geography, or nobility. This information might be useful if he wanted to try to become the retainer of a major noble and rise through the ranks till he became one himself.

This idea held a certain allure, especially when he considered the fact he had seven times the average human lifespan. This could let him become deeply rooted within the kingdom and have a tremendous amount of influence in all facets of its functioning. This would be a good way for him form a new religion, who knows, perhaps he could give it a try in a hundred years. After all, to start a religion one needed both wealth and influence. In such regards nobility became an alluring offer. He also considered hijacking another religion, manufacturing a schism letting which would let him cleave out his own faith. But all of that was way too far ahead. Especially when he couldn’t even kill a wolf.

The library had around twenty books on elemental magic, three on holy magic, and two on dark magic. He decided to pick the beginner’s guide to dark magic.

In general magic books never seemed to have more than three spells, the remaining pages consisted of fluff. Whether the origin of a spell, it’s significance in the history of magic, and its creator. Stolas said that all of that wasn’t of any use and to use these three hours to memorize the schematics.

The first spell made you less visible in the shade and at night. Although it didn’t explain by how much, it probably significant seeing that it was a level one spell. The second spell made the user less bright in the sun, which didn’t seem very useful to him, or anyone else. But he’d learn it since it made for an easy way to gain experience points. Perhaps that was its only use. The last spell enhanced your own agility in dark areas. This one was probably the most useful one. All in all, dark magic wasn’t half bad in this region of the world where trees cast their shadows upon all corners of the continent. This also made him wonder why they had a distinct region of the continent marked as ‘the Forest’ when there didn’t seem to be anywhere without trees and vegetation.

When Damon left the library, he heard a voice,

Done,” said Pythias through telepathic communication. “They made me do a test to prove I can fight, and then I got in a fight with some guys.”

Damon had forgotten about the mission he’d given to his friend. “Did you also save a girl in an alley way?”

… Yes”

Really? Maybe I should have gone with charisma.”

“OK, that last part was a lie, but you were right. The adventurer’s guild is linked to the crown. When I probed the receptionist, she told me that in times of war the adventurers guild is integrated into the army. You were right.”

Damon hesitated an instant. “Well, that’s too bad I honestly hoped it wasn’t the case. I went to the library and couldn’t find more than two books on dark magic; I’ve already read one, and the other is too advanced for me right now. Not to mention the distinct lack on anything related to black magic.”

I guess we really don’t have a choice, but don’t leave right now. I found a request for a caravan escort mission that leaves for the village tomorrow morning. It’s a low-ranked mission, so I doubt they’ll notice you if you tail them. It’ll be safer that way.”

“Sounds good I’ll do that. I’ll wait for you at the Inn so we can go out to eat.”

“Sounds good.”

The next day Damon asked Stolas to wake him up at sun break. He felt hesitant at the prospect of tailing the caravan. However, it gave him a good opportunity to practise dark magic.

Don’t follow them on the road too long,” said Stolas, “although they are inexperienced, they’ll be able to sense you.

Then what should I do?”

Go in the forest.”

“To get eaten by a bear, no thank you.”

Stolas tapped Damon’s head, “Don’t worry I’ll fly away with you if you’re attacked.”

Damon stared dumbfounded at the owl perched on his shoulder. “That’s true. How come I’ve never thought of that. Let’s just fly back.

No, it’s time to practise. If there's anything a black mage must learn to do, it's to stalk someone, better yet a caravan. If they notice you, we’ll leave. And don’t worry they won’t start flinging spears as soon as they spot you. Do you think you’re the first one whose thought of trailing a caravan for protection?”

“That’s true.”

Damon kept using his lessen reflection magic at the cost of one mana per five minutes, this let him cast it continuously. Although the visual difference wasn't great it shouldn't be too unexpected for a level 1 spell. It would still help him increase his dark magic level and that's all that mattered.

Three hours later he headed inside the forest and used his shadow meld spell to reduce his presence in the shadows. This one spell was far more effective as he could see that his skin darkened a shade or two. However, this came at the cost of 5 mana per five minutes. He decided to only use it for three rounds as to keep his mana above seventy-five percent. He proceeded to use the lessen reflection. This had a similar effect as the shadow meld spell except that the later one made him look black and the former made him look mate. He guessed that the higher-level spells of these would result in a very different effect, but that was for another time. He decided to stick with the lessen reflection for the rest of the day.

When the caravan had started to set up camp the owl started talking, “It’s time to go.”

“Did they notice me?”

“No, they've noticed you a long time ago, the difference is that now they’re coming for you.” The owl pointed his wing to the most experienced looking adventurer in the group. “He’s assembling a small party to clear out the surroundings. They could let you stick around during the day, but to permit that at night is suicidal.

Are we flying away?”

“Hahaha, of course, not, cast shadow meld, shadow agility, and let’s high tail it out of here.”

Damon activated his skills and dashed in the same direction as the road. His body felt supple and light. He wanted to open his status screen and check by how much it had gone up, but he’d probably trip on a branch. Ten minutes later and fourteen mana points later, the owl told him he was in the clear and to walk normally from now on. He could recover his mana and catch his breath.

Damon sat down against a tree, and an incredible rush of endorphins assaulted his brain.

“That was amazing.”

What the fuck are you doing talking?”

“Sorry, it just felt so great. I can get used to it.”

“I’m glad to hear it. But of course you could. You wouldn’t have the potential if you didn’t have the proclivity for it in your soul. Remember what I said. The balance between demons and angels is fickle. Nothing can be won or be lost. Even if it’s a single idiot. It will be roped in.”

Damon couldn’t respond, he wasn’t even listening to his owls’ words. He wanted to experience the rush again, he wanted to learn new magic and try this game with new people. Perhaps he should dedicate the first century of his life to the pursuit of strength, the second to the pursuit of authority, the third to religion, and the fourth to knowledge. Plus, if the owl hadn’t lied and he could extent his lifetime, a new set of opportunities would open up. Perhaps taming dragons or starting an empire wouldn't be so far fetched. Yes, he could feel it. He believed that the extension of one’s lifespan could be attained with the power of black magic. God had given him this life, a gift he would cherish dearly above all else.

Oy mate, have you snapped out of your trans. I’ll remind you were still in a forest, and I’m not sure you can kill a single wolf. Although wolves might have a hard time seeing you, they’ll smell you.”

With this reminder Damon grabbed the hilt of his sword. “Is anything coming?”

No, it’s not coming, but we’re going to get it.”

Why? Can’t we just let it be?”

“Hahaha, it seems you’re too afraid my young prince. It’s a single wolf. He seems to be badly bruised so you should be able to do this.”

Damon nodded. “Where is it?”

“Five o’clock, about two hundred metres away.” Stolas pointed to a tree in. “your agility boost and climb it.”

Damon did as ordered. Although he struggled a bit on the press up, he managed to get up a branch. He automatically activated the shadow meld magic, for which Stolas praised him by patting his head.

The wolf is heading this way. Wait until it’s under you and fall with your blade pointed towards the ground. This is how we hunt. No need for a direct fight if we can ambush it.”

Damon looked at the wolf who limped towards him. Three minutes later Damon dropped and planted the sword in the wolf’s head. The skull cracked under the enormous force and speed. It resounded in the forest. Damon quickly climbed another tree a few metres away. He was afraid that the adventurers or other beasts might come towards the sound made by the exploding skull.

His heart furiously pumped blood through his body, and his hands shook without end. He covered his nose with his bloody hands to slow his breathing. When five minutes passed and no other beast came, he released his magic, let out a quiet sigh and started wipe off his bloody hands.

However, that’s when he noticed Stola’s frown. He didn’t know why he reacted as such, but he decided to let it be, perhaps he thought of him as a bad hunter.

Finally, Stolas told him to move out but prepare for combat. They’d hunt one last beast. Since Damon’s agility wasn’t good enough, he couldn’t hop from tree to tree and had to run to his prey. After Damon followed Stolas for a few minutes, he saw a big rabbit munching on plants. Its black fur reflected a very small amount of moon light even when compared to Damon with his all his dark magic activated. Damon activated all his dark magic, and with a single thrust he pierced the rabbit’s stomach. What shocked him was that even with all his magic activated it was about to jump away. Rabbits were true prey, both in instinct and appearance.

Unfortunately, he didn’t feel the same rush this time. He turned to Stolas to ask him if they’d head to the village. However, what he saw was a shocked Stolas. The demon flapped his wings and perched itself on a nearby branch. A strong sense of dread assaulted Damon, and the nearby animals scurried away.

“What is this?” said Stolas out loud, “Why am I not receiving his soul? Have you already made a contract with another demon? No, that’s not possible there can be only one. Then that means someone else, someone other than a demon has made a contract with you. Who? Tell me right now so I can gouge out their throat?” Yelled Stolas.

Damon looked wide-eyed at the demon. After the burst of anger displayed by the owl, he guessed that the acquisition of all souls released from bodies he killed was a part of the deal. However, that couldn’t be it since it didn’t sound like a detriment to him, but everyone else. He’d have to make him talk and figure out what was the catch.

“I did sign a contract before, but it’s not like you asked me if I did.”

The pressure tripled. “Tell me who?”

Damon laughed, “You’ve already told me that you cannot kill—”

The owl flapped its wings and crashed into his chest feet first. “But I can hurt you.”

“But cannot kill—”

The claws seemed to dig inside Damon’s chest and rip into his soul.

Damon stopped playing his game. His gasps for breath stopped his speech. “I’ll still tell you. You’re my partner after all.”

“Then who?”

“God.”

Stolas released his grip on Damon and took a step back.

Damon continued, “although I do not know much about this world, from what you’ve said only angel and demons can contract humans. And since you can see my skills, you know that I have no talent in spirit magic. It can only be God.”

Stolas thought about it for a second, “So when you were speaking about worlds, I thought you had simply reincarnated and from a higher life form, but you’re telling me you’re from another Universe.”

Stolas stopped releasing his mana, Damon could now catch his breath. “Yes.”

“Tell me, what is your mission? Don’t worry I can’t interfere since it’s God. I just want to help.”

“Help?”

“Of course! If you achieve your mission, God will no longer protect the souls you kill.”

Damon still wanted to hide behind the tree after the sudden outburst of anger. Yet, he resisted the urge and answered the bird’s question. “The mission is to create a religion which worships a monotheist cerenoid God. Plus I have to observe it till I can confirm it’s stable and prosperous." He defined confirming as overlooking the religion for half of your natural lifespan, as such for me who became a dark elf it’s two hundred years. After hearing this Stolas calmed down slightly.

That’s good, I can deal with that, I have no intentions of letting you die before I make up for my expenses so it’s fine. We’ll just have to take a break for a century at some point and get the religion going.”

Damon decided not to pry any further. He could ask him later since his life didn’t seem to be in any immediate danger. Although he had a sneaking suspicion Stolas wanted his soul for some not so mysterious reason.

Thankfully, the contract stated that his soul would be protected even after the completion of the task. He could live without fear of being consumed by the devil. He just had to out play Stolas and not let the true contents of the contract leak out. Even if the owl couldn’t kill, he wanted to stay on good terms with the owl. After all, if Stolas had a way to extend his lifespan and he didn’t see why he’d refuse it.

14