Chapter 7: Once Was Lost
31 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 5 / Time: 2:00pm-4:00pm


 

"Hold it!"

Artie, who'd been walking drowsily through the forest, straightened himself at the sound of a person's voice.

"Goodness, you look like shit," observed a man dressed in a leather vest.

He emerged from behind a bush and then examined Artie. After scanning his worn body, the stranger scratched the back of his head as if uncertain how to proceed.

"So, you uh…." He started, uttering nothing of value.

Artie looked at the man listlessly while analyzing his finer appearance, observing his cleanliness and heavy stomach.

"I'm hungry, please," Artie weakly pleaded.

Taking another minute to consider, the leather-wearing man placed his hand on a sheathed weapon that hung at his side and then replied-

"Come with me, and don't leave my sight," he said, forcing his tone to be more assertive than before.

With more to lose if he didn't, Artie weakly walked ahead while feeling the man's attentive gaze at his rear.

They strolled for three minutes before the number of trees started to decline. The ground raised more as they walked, and the higher they climbed, the more distinctive shapes appeared. Once closer, Artie identified them as structures made of wood. The closet was a tall, thin watchtower that stood on the edge of what seemed to be the entrance to a town.

"This can't be real," uttered Artie, jaw dropped and stupefied.

The sight did indeed look unimaginable. A mere five days had passed since arriving on that planet, yet there was a town. Or, at least it was in the process of becoming one. There was an immense amount of lumber being utilized in its construction. Artie had only seen the outskirts, but every building was made using stripped wood of varying colors. There was no defensive wall, but giant wooden spikes encompassed the town. It was simple, but the idea of a safe place on the planet made him stir.

Behind the spikes and in front of the town was a deep trench. The only way across was over a wooden bridge that was promptly laid out by guards as they arrived.

He peered down into the trench and noticed impaled monsters' bodies as he crossed. They were creatures that ultimately fell to their demise after attempting to jump across the trapped dugout. This exhilarated him; he'd finally found it, shelter from that planet's imperilment.

"Hurry up; we don't want anything coming in after you!" Yelled out a stranger in the watchtower.

Once they were across, the bridge was picked up, and the man in leather ordered Artie not to leave his position at the entrance. He then made haste deeper into the series of buildings, where he vanished. Artie had no qualms with waiting; it gave him time to process all he'd seen.

"This place looks like something straight out of a game," gawked Artie, observing the miraculous setting.

The buildings were as tall and wide as modern homes. He watched men and women carrying heavy logs and using stone tools to build.

"Carpenters?" He mumbled, watching workers climb onto and hammer rooftops.

Fascinated, he'd momentarily forgotten about his injured shoulder, hunger, and sleep deprivation. However, gloom crept up, and he detained his emotions, deliberately trying not to become too comfortable.

"You shouldn't get your hopes up. It'll be slightly less disappointing if something goes wrong."

 

 

<>

 

Ten minutes later, Artie heard the man that'd led him to town. His sight was still subpar, so he couldn't see him clearly; however, he recognized his voice. Even from several meters away.

The man was returned with a group of ten people who'd all conversed with one another in secret. Or, so they thought, because Artie inadvertently tuned in on everything they'd been saying.

"This is unusual; there hasn't been a single person found in three days."

"Sure, but it's not like we've been searching. If we sent out an expedition, we could fin-"

"No, we can't spare the hunters. We'll welcome anyone that finds their way here, but we can't go searching."

After spying on their conversation, Artie stopped and transmitted his own words.

"Can you hear me?" He asked, curious if their hearing was also heightened.

When no one responded, Artie confirmed that his hearing was abnormal from a human's perspective.

"I read somewhere that you could train your senses by using them excessively, but this is still weird."

Bizarre, but not unwelcomed. Artie relished having something that made him unique, that and he would have died ten times over without perceptive ears. While he spaced out, the group arrived, and he was addressed by a woman that stepped ahead of the pack.

"You look like you've been through a lot," she observed, wearing a colorful smile.

While most of her company wore leather coverings, she sported clothing commonly found on the first Earth. A yellow and white striped shirt, blue jeans, and white crocs. Her blonde hair was tied in a ponytail, and her glasses were thick and tapped at the center. Guessing, he settled that the woman was in her twenties.

"It hasn't been easy," Artie stated briefly, concerned that he'd accidentally overshare something strange and get booted from town.

"Clearly," she replied, quickly glancing at his tattered body.

Everything from how she sustained eye contact when speaking, to her smile, to how she examined him with her eyes like a test subject began to make him uncomfortable. So, Artie, who looked a day away from becoming a walking skeleton, moved it along.

"I know it's sudden, but I'm starving… I just need something to eat."

"I'm willing to work to pay you back."

The woman raised her gaze from Artie's bare feet, up to his arms, then back to his face. Then, she stepped within a foot of him, grabbed his filthy hand, and placed a round object on his palm.

"What are you do-"

"Level 1 hunter," she interrupted, speaking loud enough for those nearby to hear.

The object in his hand was smooth and resembled a large pebble. Interestingly, it had the number "one" at its center, and it emitted a dim blue glow. The light only lasted while it rested on his palm, and the moment the woman lifted the stone, it dissipated.

"What level? I don-"

Without letting Artie complete his sentence, a man from the group spoke up in a stony tone.

"Your alignment is with the hunters; are you proficient with any weaponry?"

Muddled, Artie looked over the woman's shoulder to the man behind and shook his head.

"Hunters? Weaponry? I don't know what your deal is, but none of this is making sense."

"No one gets to leech off the whole. Everyone has to pull their weight to stay here," replied the same stern individual, his voice becoming more aggressive.

The salty, towering man didn't have a shred of patience or empathy. He had a messy man bun and was covered neck down in leather armor. He was fit, tan, and had greasy jet black hair and a jawline that reminded Artie of American actors. The man's sharp gaze would have scared the old him. However, compared to the monsters he'd faced, that person was a rabbit.

Despite his previous failed attempts, Artie tried to lean into the conversation a little.

"You built all of this in five days?" He asked, withstanding his urge to curse the man out.

"We? no, the craftsmen built this town, and we hunters will guard it," responded the greasy-haired man.

After a blunt reply, he walked up and grabbed Artie's torn shirt collar before pulling him. His body had no choice but to follow the rugged man's lead; the power he displayed with one arm was more than Artie could deliver with his entire body. Nevertheless, this act infuriated him; he wanted to kick the man's shins and rearrange his perfect white teeth. But, the thought of being kicked out of the fantasy-like town deterred him from the deed.

As he was pulled along, he was able to see more of the town being built. Buildings were mostly one- and two-story, and all obeyed the same structural design. What set the buildings apart was the color of lumber used. Most were built with solid browns, while others used dark reds and oranges. In addition, there were painted signs outside of each structure stating its use. "Leatherwork shop, Armory, Ingredients, Innkeep, Trade, etc." At that time, they were steering for the building labeled "Armory."

 

<>

 

With an astute shove, Artie was sent through the building's door. As the sign wrote, it was indeed an armory. There were wooden weapons on the leftmost wall, stone weapons center, then a few bows on the rightmost wall. Artie glanced from the furthest left wall, then towards the right before the man once again grabbed him. This time, his large hand forcefully turned Artie's head toward the left wall with the wooden weapons.

"Grab whatever one you want. But from that wall," he nagged.

Artie was again enraged at the man's forcefulness and his blunt disregard for personal space. He slapped the man's grip away and then wandered toward the left wall. There were shelves along the floor but of individual components like cut stone, sword hilts, and string, among other things. It could be described as the DIY section of the store.

DIY: Do It Yourself

When Artie arrived at the wall, he studied the weapon choices and reached up.

"I've already held a spear, so-"

He halted, letting his brain process what'd been transpiring.

"Hunter... All the crap about pulling weight. They're trying to draft me into the town's personal army. Hell no-" Thought Artie, heatedly turning to the man and the allies.

"No thanks, I can do anything else, but I won't fight. I was a cleaner on Earth, so I'll do that here too."

The salty man's face became more agitated as he stormed toward Artie as if he were due for another rough encounter. Artie clenched his fist and readied to engage, thinking to himself clearly.

"If this asshole touches me again, town be damned, I'm going to wreck his face."

"Hold it, let me handle it from here," interjected another woman.

The large man stopped, and his ally approached. She looked spiritually damaged but not as tense as her companion. In terms of age, she was in the same bracket as Artie and the jerk leading them. Asian, pale skin, and dark almond-shaped eyes. She was around 5'10 and had short black hair with blue highlights that gave off real rockstar vibes.

"This is my friend Tom-" She began but stopped herself and looked sarcastically at the man next to her.

"I mean, Ryu, his name is Ryu," corrected the woman.

"My name is Mayumi. It's been a while since anyone new has arrived, so our "good guy, bad guy" routine is a little rusty."

She took several more steps forward and held her bare hands in front of her chest. Trying to appear harmless, she spoke with diligence and empathy as she focused on Artie.

"We mean no harm. You clearly aren't the type to respond to force, so let's talk, okay?"

Artie's wound had begun to flare during the encounter, and he contorted in pain while making unattractive faces.

"Sure..." He answered, his voice faltering and fading out.

The woman nodded and then continued.

"Allow me to take a moment to clarify a few things. First, the stone you held earlier had a number, yes? That simply meant you're gifted with a more capable body on this Earth. If it had remained blank, you would have been aligned with the town's workers. Cleaning jobs are reserved for the elderly and children, and seeing how you are neither, you are with us."

She extended one of her hands and pointed behind Artie, redirecting him to the wall.

"Now, if you could please choose a weapon," she insisted as if a trivial matter.

Artie left a moment of silence after she finished; he'd been listening intently and put forth an effort to be understanding. However-

"Screw you... Do you think you can drag me here, speak nonsense, and expect me to just go into battle? Screw all of you. I hiked for days to find this place, hoping to escape danger, not seek it-"

Another sharp pain caused him to flinch, then he hunched over and clenched onto his wounded shoulder.

"I'd rather return to the forest. I'm used to managing alone anyways," spouted Artie, trying the conceal the anguish he felt.

The woman who introduced herself as Mayumi spoke once again. This time, lowering both of her hands back down to her side and addressing him less tenderly.

"Suit yourself; I'll escort you to the exit."

Artie stood taken aback as she turned and began walking away. He'd expected more of a retort, like a car salesman trying to sell an overpriced car. However, there was nothing of the sort; the woman waited outside the shop for Artie to exit on his own, then led him to the town's exit. Along the way, he spotted workers on rooftops, people directing unfamiliar animals, families conversing, and kids tossing a wooden ball. The lack of screams was refreshing, and he wanted nothing more than to live in that cozy town. But Artie knew himself well, and he was no fighter. He wasn't even a good survivor, just a simple waste cleaner thrown into a precarious world.

 

<>

 

Returning to the trench, the dark-haired woman signaled four men, and they extended the bridge.

"If you change your mind, the guards will prepare the bridge for you to return," Mayumi explained.

"R-right," hesitated Artie, considering the alternatives.

"I'll surely die if I go back out there, but the same can be said if I stay here… I don't need a job description to know what kind of work their so-called hunters do."

"It's all that stupid stone's fault."

Artie twisted his head as he reasoned with himself; he knew his face had a mind of its own and didn't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing they caused him internal strife.

"Could you give us a moment," interrupted the woman with thick glasses, pulling the Asian woman a few meters away.

Artie looked away from them but still concentrated on his hearing and infringed on their conversation.

"Mai, you can convince him to stay," she whispered, adamant about her sudden appeal.

"It's not like you to get involved with anything other than your research," Mayumi quietly replied, looking at Artie through the corner of her eyes.

"Precisely, this is why I've asked this of you," replied the blonde-haired woman, retrieving and surveying the smooth pebble.

Mayumi sighed and brushed her hair back, revealing black ear piercings. As she returned to Artie, he thought about how he'd lower the value of the car she was now intent on selling. In other words, since he had value to them, he could bargain for a better deal.

"Your injuries, you've been attacked recently?" She questioned, resting her hand on her chin as if pondering.

"I was…" Artie replied, looking over to his wrapped shoulder. He kept his response brief, allowing the woman to lead the dialogue.

"It must have been difficult for you, traveling alone all this time," She commented, raising her hand and adjusting her hair.

"I managed," he unhurriedly responded, portraying signs of disinterest.

The woman looked past Artie out towards the horizon. She placed one hand behind her back and tapped her cheek with the other.

"You managed, huh… You can do more than just manage within a community of hunters."

"Hunter's hunt, they willingly go out putting their life at risk. I've survived by avoiding danger," asserted Artie, steadfast as he peered directly at the woman.

"Whether you willingly cross that bridge or hunt with us, you will be in danger. You're no safer alone than with us," she retorted, communicating even quicker as if her response was already prepared.

"Earlier at the shop, you said you hiked for days to find this place. Exactly when did you begin searching for society?" Mayumi continued, swiftly articulating each word.

"I began to search the day we landed," he answered honestly, unaware of where the question was leading.

There was a hint of nervousness as he spoke. The woman stopped tapping her cheek and then swiped her hair back again.

"So, you're saying, the moment you were detached from civilization, you began to search for it?"

"Your first instinct was to seek out humankind. You wanted to rely on us for safety, yes?"

Artie faltered; his expression twisted into frustration as he listened to the women speak. Snapping back, he raised his voice.

"I wouldn't have searched for this place if I'd known you wanted to draft me into your army!"

With eyes closed, the woman shook her head.

"Who are you trying to convince? I think, aware of our terms or not, you would have spent the last few days searching for this location. Because no matter how much you want to persuade yourself and me, we're both well aware you are not capable of living in the forest alone."

Artie was being checkmated every time he opened his mouth, and the woman was psychologically chipping away at his ego. While he deplored her, he respected the woman for not bringing his crumbling appearance into the dispute.

"You're right. I won't make it out there alone. I'm not built like the rest of you. So, knowing that, why the hell would you insist on sending me to hunt with those more qualified!?" Fumed Artie, biting his lower lip at the end of his justification.

"Because you're here," She softly replied.

The woman inched closer to Artie, who'd been silently writhing in pain as his left hand grabbed onto his panged shoulder.

She gently placed her hand over his own without noting his apparent suffering and consoled him.

"It's because, despite your build, you made it here alive. I'm certain you're destined for something greater than just cleaning."

Her voice and touch were sympathetic. Artie knew her words were meant to seduce him into staying, yet, he couldn't help but fall for her alluring warmth.

"You don't have to suffer alone anymore," Mayumi whispered.

Neither of them spoke for a few seconds… Then, an unwanted droplet leaked from Artie's eye and cruised down his cheek.

"Let's get you patched up and fed," she voiced, standing beside Artie and lightly nudging him toward town.

"T-thank you…"

2