Chapter 19: Sunny, With a Chance of Inferno
17 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brittle and vulnerable, Artie relied heavily on his strengths. While he wasn't physically strong, he gained confidence in his ability to stay out of harm's way, Treading carefully around any roaming or frenzied monsters. There was never a need to fight or flee against foes because there were none. Rustling, bustling, shooks, and shivers, anything that remotely resembled the sound of movement, was wholly avoided. It may not have been heroic or protagonist-like, but it was a method that allowed him to survive.

He became more and more fond of his talent as he traveled. Yes, there were other superpowers one could ask for, but not many that could ensure longevity in a world where humans are placed so low on the food chain. Supposing a mystical voice or God did exist, he'd at least thank them for his gifted hearing.

At times, Artie would become completely autonomous. His body would inspect the area ahead and then look down to avoid tripping or losing balance. These two things ran on repetition like clockwork, voiding unnecessary thoughts or functions. The limit was how far his body could manage. No amount of inhuman sense allowed him to maintain a decent balance while climbing up or downhill. Nor, could he escape the sudden dips in the land that caused him to under step and stumble. Vines and branches created walls like spider webs; he couldn't force his way through, so he'd occasionally be forced to deviate in other directions. Though slight detours weren't a grave concern, after all, "Northeast" was a vague direction to follow.

Before long, an hour of steadily marching passed. Artie felt himself reaching his limits, so he slowed and leaned against a tree. Sitting on the ground, he pulled fruit from his pouch and snacked while catching his breath.

"I wonder if I missed it…." Worried Artie, questioning if any hunter had actually ventured that far from town.

Tossing a cut of orange in his mouth, he nervously looked back the way he came.

"Wonder how far behind that thing is... Or if it's coming at all."

"Either way, this is going to suck."

He sighed and lowered his head, sweat dripping from his face onto the ground.

"It's hot…." He complained, looking up at the brilliant sun.

The star had risen well above the treeline, but the light itself barely touched the floor because of the thick wildlife. Artie found it odd how he was freezing in town an hour ago but now wanted to disrobe all of his clothes.

Noticing a stale, dirt-like taste mixing with the taste of his fruit, Artie chewed much faster.

"It even smells hot," he said agitatedly.

Swallowing the food, he made an unseemly face. The "hot smell" he referred to was the scent of burning. Since it'd become potent enough to affect the taste of his food, he ended his snack early and returned to his feet.

Deliberately scanning the land, he presumed there'd been a forest fire but could not find any traces of such. Lacking options, he cautiously continued on his unclear path.

The intensity of the smell, as well as the heat, increased. Wherever the origin was, it was getting close. Fear loomed over as the setting began to change. Seemingly every minute, the land was transforming, not for the better. The lushness of the forest was deteriorating, Drowning in the now visible smoke and heat. First, the grass became brown and dried, then trees lost their leaves, looking poisoned and sickly.

"I can't go much further than this."

Covering his mouth, he tried not to breathe in the dense smoke overpowering the air. It'd changed its form from a barely visible innocent gray to dark and malicious. This hazard only became worse as he walked; it heavily reduced his visibility and breathing ability.

 

<>

 

Artie had not been attentive enough to realize the substantial drop in his pace. Walking so slow, he didn't even have to question who was breaking branches dozens of yards away. When it was heard, fright plugged his body. It was the first sound he'd heard in quite some time, and he could only think of one individual that would willingly step into that wasteland.

"I messed up, I fucked up, I-" He panicked, stopping only to shudder at the thought of the monster catching him.

Anticipating it could pounce on him at any moment, he ran through the prickly bushes and the heavy smoke that left very little to see. It was like running through a cornfield of dusky smoke; every step he took was littered with more of it, seemingly endless.

A bright, daunting display of deep red flames began to enclose and stretch across the land from that point onward. The blaze overtook the plant life, and ash rained down on him like snow. The ground became a soft, silvery stale terrain, making it extremely difficult to run correctly. He slid and struggled not to fall, refusing to be the typical "damsel in distress" that consistently stumbles while being chased.

Frenzied, he redirected in any direction there wasn't burning, darting onward with his heart beating a mile a minute. The temperature only rose as he ran, making him sweat profusely and requiring him to wipe the salty drip from his eyes.

His anxiety couldn't have risen anymore. The darkness of the smoke, mixed with his inability to hear over his own footsteps, distressed him to no end. Turning around often, he couldn't help but question when or where that beast would appear from.

Artie ran for as long as possible, his running ability only hindered by the land's condition. The environment started to feel like a giant oven; he felt as if his flesh would cook into a medium-rare feast; Surely, his pursuer would find that favorable.

Either by luck or misfortune, the smoke started to clear as he exited the burning forest. Pesky woodland turned into a rocky field, and Artie was able to gain solid control of his footing. Unfortunately, he'd also come across the source of the fire. Further ahead, the ground tapered upward into a cliff. At the tip of that cliff was a raging ball of crimson-colored fire. Three times his size, the enormous flaming sphere hovered slightly above the ground and scorched the surrounding area.

Looking at it, Artie gained a very eerie perception that it was alive. Flames violently swirled around the fireball, emanating an angry blaze and lighting the land an unusual shade of red.

"..."

Like a child disturbed from its sleep, the fire became agitated and stirred. Artie unconsciously took a step back away from it, finding the new threat even more terrifying than the beast tracking him. It slowly flared up, then, to his surprise, it unraveled. Artie remained silent and watched. The thing no longer appeared to be a simple ball of fire but a cocoon.

The flames melted away from the anomaly, flowing onto the ground and spreading. As more of the fire dispersed, what rested beneath it became revealed.

Seven feet tall and stretching twice as long, A spine-chilling monster touched down on the floor. Its body and long tail were akin to lizards, but instead of silky-smooth skin, it had black scales covering almost every inch of its body. Only its neck was without the protection of the scales, exposing slick murky skin. The lizard-like monster focused wine-red eyes at Artie, baring its sharp teeth menacingly. He'd done nothing to agitate the creature, yet fury was broadcasted on its face, snapping its terrifying jaws. Snap, snap; the sound was low pitched and only escalated as it walked closer.

The land had become a sea of flames; almost everything capable of burning had burned. That is, all except a peculiar plant that grew on the cliff. Artie had been too frightened to thoroughly view it, but a fiery red flower with a calm white interior blossomed. The plant's existence was impractical. Somehow, it grew from solid rock and also survived flames that'd been encompassing the area. Perhaps it was because of its unusual traits that there had been spots where only the stem remained as if gathered by a human hand.

Snap! The monster closed its jaws tight and began fiercely twirling its head like a rabid animal. As if offended, it angrily stomped, shaking the ground and Artie. Its tantrum lasted a couple of seconds before the creature relentlessly slammed its head on the rocky floor.

When the vile thing's lifted its gaze, its unstable eye's latched onto Artie's and reeled him in like a harpoon. The large tail of the creature then raised, maxing its height before being slammed directly onto the floor. The impact undoubtedly activated something within the monster because its scales spread, and the unbearable smell of charcoal exuded from its body. Following the scent, diabolical flames erupted from its jagged frame.

Like pulling the emergency brake on a vehicle, Artie found himself unable to react or move. Even taking another step away from the heat became impossible. The very muscles in his body tensed up, and his mouth and eyes opened wide in terror.

"..."

Perhaps aware he was petrified, the monster slammed its head on the ground once again then charged its bright, flaming body towards him. Rendered as mobile as a stone statue, Artie could only watch the impending danger close in on him.

 

3