Chapter 25: Breaking Point
20 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 


Time: 2:00pm-4:00pm


 

Two armed guards awaited Artie outside of the facility. They explained their orders were to escort him to Wana, then led him away. Said guards did not speak to him or cause any trouble, nor did they ever remove their hands from the handles of their weapons.

Their destination was revealed to be the town's clinic. The structure was polluted by hunters who were beaten and bloodied. It worked in his favor since the majority was too occupied to notice him slip through the front door. Down a long hallway, standing in front of a door, was Wana in damaged gear. She'd been engaged in conversation with two bruised men but excused them once she spotted Artie.

"Report," ordered the woman.

Before one answered, both of the guards straightened their backs, then held their heads up.

"No issues."

"Oscar submitted the examination debrief, and It's ready for review."

"Summarize the information, then take the paperwork to my chambers." Commanded Wana before opening a door and directing Artie to enter.

The guards departed, and Artie warily entered the room. While he stood outside, he listened for whispers or any signs of an ambush but heard nothing unusual. Once inside the moderately lit, quiet room, a sweet and grassy smell invaded his nose.

"How is he?" Inquired Wana proceeding ahead of Artie and standing in front of a bed.

Once fully stationed in the room's center, Artie observed four pleasant faces. The man named Phillip was tucked onto the bed while Freddy and his older sister sat on his right. Paula stood on his left, holding wooden containers filled with an unknown pink substance.

"Already starting to heal; you have nothing to worry about." Assured Paula, who responded to Wana but had peeked at Artie.

"Good, I'll return later to follow up." Informed Wana before turning to exit.

Though she'd begun to leave, Artie remained and eyed the injured man on the bed. Bandages wrapped his neck and head while his leg was propped up on a pillow. The older sister had also been wounded but not as severely.

"What happened to you two" Worried Artie, who made a conscious effort to suppress his entire concern.

There was no immediate response, but the room occupants openly stared at him.

Artie returned a look of question and frustration as he awaited an explanation of their battered bodies.

There was a loud thump as Freddy hastily jolted up from his seat, knocking it over. His young face was enveloped in outright terror while he took subtle steps away until his back was against a wall. His eyes were wide, and his teeth clattered against one another while he shook his head back and forth.

"No, No." He repeatedly murmured.

Having that look of dread directed at him was crushing and petrifying. But Artie began to understand why; it wasn't anything he'd done but what he'd become.

Artie dejectedly lowered his head…

Feeling his troublesome ears and tail also slouch, he raised both hands to cover his scalp.

"I'm stil-"

"I'm still me…."

He mournfully shifted away from them, then followed Wana, who'd waited at the door.

"Hold it!" Exclaimed Paula, who'd promptly rushed over and grabbed Freddy's hand.

For reasons unbeknownst to himself, Artie stopped. Everything within him persuaded him to escape the awful situation, yet he paused.

"I'll explain things to little Freddy here outside. You kids continue." Insisted Paula, taking the child from the room.

Though her intentions were innocent, it did little to alleviate his woeful spirit. After half a minute of crippling silence, Artie dropped his arms and continued for the exit.

Wana leaned against the center of the door, peering dully at him. Even once he'd arrived within a foot of her, she'd maintained her gaze and blocked the door.

He'd unintentionally picked up on Paula's conversation outside the room and wanted to leave before it finished. Unfortunately, the woman didn't budge; instead, she slowly raised her hand and lightly pushed Artie back. Using her head, she motioned in the direction of the other two inside the room.

"You should say something…." Whispered Phillip discreetly.

It was the few times like then when Artie loathed his hearing because he could have lived without ever hearing the woman's cold response.

"No."

It hurt; it tore at his heart like sharpened claws. He felt alone, a single fish among a sea of circling sharks.

"Please," pleaded Artie, meeting Wana's fiery gaze with his sorrowful yellow eyes and vertically slit pupils.

The woman faintly sighed, then ceased her intervention. She moved from the door, then Artie dolefully left. Without a sound or looking their way, he passed Paula and Freddy.

 


Time: 9:00pm-11:00pm


 

Daylight faded, and night befell the town. Fortunately, Artie was allowed refuge in Wana's abode. It was still a hair-raising setting that did nothing to aid his melancholy mood. He curled up in bed, surrounded by brisk darkness and chilling silence.

While he attempted, his thoughts prevented him from sleeping. When he heard creaks on the floorboards, he defeatedly and gradually rose from the bed. The door opened, and Wana entered. Red light from the connecting chamber immediately seeped into the bedroom. It revealed the woman wearing the same long gown he'd stabbed a hole in.

"Move over," voiced Wana, walking to, then climbing onto the left side of the bed.

Because of how quickly she arrived, Artie had no time to process her company. The woman lifted the cover, then her warm body collided against his and nudged him to the bed's edge. There had been a momentary consideration to dismount the bed; however, he found Wana's mild temperature bewitching. It beckoned to him like a fireplace out in a blizzard, and he inevitably settled. Artie's eyes became weighed, and within the minute, he was hauled into unconsciousness.

 


Day:12 / Time: 6:00am-8:00am


 

Three heavy knocks sounded in succession, waking Artie.

"Enter" Called out Wana, uncovering the bedsheets from her body.

The door opened, and Artie groggily leaned forward. Still thoroughly dazed from the day before, he'd yet to grasp his bearings. Wana had already risen from the bed and faced the guest who'd sought her.

"Report"

Once Artie peeked ahead, he observed Ryu standing in the doorway. The man had been addressed by Wana, yet his attention fixed on Artie. He'd yet to release the doorknob and stood entirely still with a jarring expression.

"Ryu," The woman called.

Upon hearing her, he snapped out of his fossilization and stuttered as he replied.

"Y-yes, ma'am"

"Sorry, I-"

The man gazed at Artie once more, his proud shoulders lowered and his posture sunken.

"Report," She repeated.

"Of course."

"The townspeople are acting up again. We could use your help." Answered Ryu, who'd merely mumbled aloud.

Wana nodded, then leisurely exited the room and began to dress. Meanwhile, Artie sat on the edge of the bed and stared down at the floor defeatedly. After some time, Wana announced her departure, then requested Ryu watch after Artie in her stead.

"Perfect…" Thought Artie, looking from the floor then over to the man continuing to peer at him.

Disturbed, he stood and decided to relocate to a larger space. Ryu loomed over the exit but stepped aside so he could pass.

A second after he crossed the man, he felt a ruinous sensation crawl up his back.

"Hey..." Breathed Ryu.

Artie's body tensed as he hastily turned to react to the man's foreboding call. A large and cruel hand clenched onto his face when he'd rotated a quarter of the way. The man's grip was surreal, and like child's play, Artie was ripped from the floor and plunged flat onto the ground like a stuffed toy. The wood beneath him cracked, and he felt his body ache and stiffen from the impact.

"Stay away from her!" Fumed Ryu, further tightening his ruthless grip.

Artie struggled to breathe and used his hands to tug at the overpowering man's arm. Like concrete, he didn't budge; that heavy arm solidified over his face and showed no signs of breaking.

Suffocating under his palm, Artie squirmed, balled his fist, and hammered at the man. The difference in weight class was profane, and not a single act moved the man. In his desperate attempt to free himself, he spread his fist and scratched at the man. It was thick, but the surface of Ryu's skin tore when his nails drug against it. Blood spilled from the man's arm, and for a moment, he winced and withdrew his bulky hand.

Artie sharply inhaled, then furiously swiped his black claw at him again. Swiftly and precisely, Ryu parried the attack by slapping Artie's wrist away. He then bolted inward and hammered his elbow into Artie's face. The force propelled his head against the ground, where it bounced up before settling.

"Dammit," Ryu muttered, eyeing Artie, who'd lay motionless with a bloodied nose.

 

<>

 

An unknown amount of time passed, and Artie found himself in the same spot. His nose throbbed and felt obstructed, so he felt it and learned that cotton had been stuffed inside.

"..."

At first, he was angry, but then defeat overwhelmed him. There was no fight but a battery, and he felt like a helpless victim. Not just with the brawl, but he felt victimized by everything happening.

"I don't understand…."

"Why am I being punished."

"I didn't do anything to deserve this."

Without a clear motive, Artie picked himself up and left. He had no clue where he'd go but was compelled to leave. He walked the town's streets, vaguely aware the direction he traveled led to the north entrance.

Unrelenting and toxic stares of strangers smothered him the entire time. There'd been no filter in their hateful words or the violence they brought upon him as they clashed against him and bluntly threw objects.

Avoiding eye contact with anyone, he only looked ahead to ensure he was going in the correct direction.

Minutes later, he noticed Rachel roaming down the same path, her head bobbing sporadically as she scanned the town. Once Artie crossed her sights, she merrily approached.

"Just the person I was looking for!" She exclaimed.

"Not now…" Muttered Artie, walking past indifferently.

"I'll escort you!" Offered Rachel, trailing behind him.

She began to ramble, but at no point was he listening. The woman's rant related to their previous experiment; however, her fascination was one-sided and only proved to distress him more.

"Com'on! Hurry and get away from that freak," Shouted a man several yards away.

The voice erupted from his rear, so Artie listless turned to observe the source. Upon inspection, he spotted the man named Skull lingering behind a building. The further they traveled, the more the man would follow and duck behind walls to avoid detection.

"Hence the nature of the last exam could be marked inconclusive until further inspection of your feline traits." Rachel continued to ramble.

"If you'd make time to return, we can initiate an inspection. I am inquisitive about what functions this tail serves," Continued the women, reaching and grabbing the dark tail at Artie's rear.

Upon her unsolicited grip, Artie snapped. He twirled around and struck the woman with his hand in a fit of rage.

"Don't touch me!" He roared, stretching open his mouth and flashing the fangs within them.

Rachel lifted a hand to touch her red cheek and frowned while dazedly staring at Artie.

Once he'd realized what was committed, he flooded with regret and inched closer with his shaky hand extended.

"I'm sorry," Mumbled Rachel, squinting while she resisted tears.

Artie sluggishly nodded his head left to right, his mouth agape while mouthing nothingness.

"I didn't mean to; I'm sor-"

An abrupt and frantic knuckle smashed against his rib, resulting in an anguished crack of the bone. Immediately after, another severe strike bulldozed the left side of his head. The unforeseen assault left no time to react, and with just two strikes, Artie collapsed.

Another crushing pain punctured his rib, waking him from the void of sleep. His body rolled over to barely observe the gray-haired hunter rewinding his leg to kick again.

The man's boot dug inward and heaved Artie across the ground.

"Stand up, bitch!" Barked the man, breaking free from Rachel, who'd attempted to contain him.

Coughing and resuming to bleed from his nose, Artie slowly rose. But, as soon as he climbed to his knees and elbows, the man launched another kick into his stomach.

"Get up!" Seethed the man, walking forward to where Artie was sent flying.

He pushed himself to stand a second time, only to be knocked back down. All the while, encouragement and cheering flushed the area. Tens to hundreds shouted in favor of violence, terrorizing his sensitive ears.

"Why…"

"I didn't do anything to you. So, why?"

His brief thought addressed multiple persons: the wolf-like creature that hunted him, the siblings, Ryu, and the hunter Skull. No matter how hard he tried, he could not justify their treatment of him, nor could he forgive them. Because when all was said and done, he, in all rightfulness, is-

"I'm a victim."

"Just leave me alone."

"Please, can you all just-"

As another strike barreled towards Artie, he screamed aloud.

"FUCK-"

An accumulation of the misery he'd faced swelled then surged madly from his chest towards his head. Once that bitterness gathered at his top, it was released.

His body quaked internally, then trembled as the dark horns protruding from his head emanated yellow light.

Crackling sounded, then subtle glimmering sparks of electricity amplified more and more before BURSTING into a whole, vibrant surge of electricity.

"OFF!"

The stringy wave of bright light recklessly projected far outward, illuminating the area and shocking everyone gathered. Bodies instinctively recoiled back and shrieked sounds of discomfort.

Mustering the strength, Artie stood and ran as fast as he could. Down the town's roads and to the exit. Even when approached by the expansive trench threat, he continued to run. Artie roared and rocketed off the ground and to the other side before landing and rolling on the dirt. And even after, he ran.

 

3