Chapter 36: Dungeon -PT 1
12 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What Artie desired was no simple task. He alone could not conceive how to compel the advancement of technology. But, he had the support of genius allies, and with their help, a strategy was hatched.

It took time to construct, but once completed, Rachel happily and thoroughly explained it in their individual treehouse.

Everyone was seated while she stood upfront like a school teacher. Brimming with enthusiasm while she trialed on for hours.

"If we're to further our scientific knowledge, the most essential factor is communication. The distance and threat between towns are too significant to continually transverse. We will need a more perpetual method to transmit our data to our allies."

"Second, we will need to begin an intensive mining system. No mode of transport can be built without metals, and we will require tools beyond what is obtainable through this stone age."

"Third is to capture a myriad of species. Each site has its own specimen with unique characteristics. We must decipher and harness those attributes to apply them to our utilities."

"Before we can begin building, we need these resources and conveniences available. Naturally, the more hands we have, the better."

 

Educated on the direction, Artie thought about what he could do. With his heavy head eyeing the ground, he thought for a moment, then shared his first idea.

"I can recruit the elven people to our guild, then persuade the ram folk to help us."

"I think you're downplaying the severity of your mission," Mayumi professed.

"It took hundreds of years to arrive here. A couple of researchers won't cut it."

Artie, who'd sat with crossed legs, moved his hands to his knees and squeezed them. He felt awful for delivering his half-baked plan, so he apologized.

"You're right, sorry."

"I don't know how long it'll take, but I'll broaden the support search. First to those we know, then the country, and the world if necessary."

Sebastian jerked forward on both hands, then blurted.

"That's the spirit; let's create the largest guild in the history of guilds!"

"Not before you learn the language here," interjected Mayumi, tossing a book at the man.

Finding it appropriate, Artie pulled a friendly chuckle from his mouth. It was disingenuous, and he had a strong suspicion that Mayumi knew by the way she glared through the corner of her eyes.

Whether he wanted it to or not, life moved on. And for a month and a half, he studied the elven tongue while simultaneously working on fleshing out their plan.

 

<>

 

Learning a language took less time the second instance around. Once Artie was comfortable communicating, he gathered the residents outside of a public inn. Many showed up, and after a few words with his group, he climbed onto the roof of the building.

Artie wore an off-white, oversized linen tunic which tucked into his dark leather pants. He still wore the neck accessory Leia gave him, as well as his parent's necklaces. The elven people supplied the clothing to him and his group, who all dressed similarly.

"Alright."

Following a deep breath, he raised his voice confidently and then began.

"I've gathered you all here to recruit for my guild."

"Our central goal will be to advance humanity so we can one day return to Earth. You may think it's impossible, but after much discussion, I can assure you it is achievable."

"Things weren't great there, but it's no better here. We've all suffered thanks to the forces that brought us to this planet…."

Artie's voice tapered off, glancing down wistfully as he recalled his losses. But, after a few seconds, he collected himself and then gradually raised his head.

"It won't be easy."

"We have no experience in this world, no unification, no technology. That Ai has stolen everything humans have built."

 

"Still, I promise you we'll achieve our goals. Starting from zero."

Artie's solemn golden gaze lingered after his oration and stared down at the audience. Moments later, someone stepped forth. Then another, and before long, the head count succeeded thirty.

Artie jumped down from the roof, where his party awaited him with pleasant applause.

"You've gotten better," Mayumi praised.

"Inspiring!" Laria loudly exclaimed.

"We'll definitely need a guild name now," Sebastian grinned, throwing his left arm around Artie's shoulder.

"World Killers," Artie thought in secret.

"You can have the honors," he stated, slapping Sebastian's arm away.

When he did, Artie recollected the last time he saw his father and how he wished he'd hugged him more before his untimely end.

"Just make sure it's not too edgy," Artie chuckled, bumping his fist against Sebastian's chest.

"Yes, sir," the man jested, saluting with his right hand.

"Let's not keep the people waiting," advised Harvey, cordially tipping his jungle hat.

Artie nodded, then they all relocated to the front of the building where their new elven allies awaited. Rachel immediately brought out the moonstone gauge 2.0 and attempted to slap it against them, but Artie pulled her back. He wasn't going to let the woman ruin their vital first impression.

They began with introductions, then explained their guild's new structure. It was assumed they'd collect more non-combatants than hunters and prepared for such. The units were-

Monster discovery and experimentation: A role tasked with harvesting the parts of valuable creatures. Things that could generate natural elements like fire, lightning, wind, etc.

Mining and gathering: A critical role tasked with tugging humanity out of the stone age and into modernization.

Lastly, hunters would act as escorts while the non-combatants mined, gathered, and searched for unique creatures to study.

Laria was enlisted as captain of the monster unit. Harvey would lead the miners and gatherers, and Sebastian would head the hunters.

Rachel would continue to monitor growth and learn more about their unique bodies. Meanwhile, Mayumi had never officially agreed to join the guild and only went along to protect Rachel. She revealed that she'd continue to help. Yet, she would return to being the lieutenant of Ryu's guild once they reached the forest town.

Artie alone would lead contacts. As the most capable in expeditions, he would travel and recruit more members while establishing long-range communications. This was a priority for the party, so after they sorted the new followers, they departed to the forest town where Laria and Harvey had strong leads regarding a communication method.

 

<>

 

The six-man company had minimal trouble venturing with Artie's lead. However, on the fifth night of their travel, that planet revealed yet another one of its abnormalities.

They'd found themselves in the literal middle of nowhere while steering southeast. There were no trees, mountains, or rivers, only flat grassy land and occasionally enormous boulders. The massive rocks were the closest thing they could find as a shelter, so they rested under their casted shadow.

As usual, Artie had been drained from their journeys and crashed on his sleeping pad. Even while dozing, he could decipher sounds of activity. And that night, the subtle noise of someone leaving their site awoke him.

He groggily opened his eyes and groaned, feeling an uncomfortable knot in his neck from sleeping on the ground.

The second he raised his head, it was evident that their surroundings had altered. The color of the boulder, the grass, and even the light on his allies were tinted emerald green. Concerned, Artie rushed to his feet and saw Mayumi staring at the sky several feet away. He'd worried she'd undergone another transformation, but her body was unaffected. She merely seemed immersed by the twin moon that'd appeared much closer and tense in color.

"Mayumi?" Artie had called while carefully approaching her.

She slowly turned away from the sky, then asked-

"Do you hear him?"

Artie honed in on his senses while intently listening and surveying the area. He didn't hear a peep aside from the whispers of the night, so he questioned who she referred to.

Mayumi raised her head to the oppressive moon, then mumbled-

"It's not like a voice, but more of a sense that someone is communicating with me."

"What's he saying?" Artie asked, worried by her vague but familiar explanation.

She placed her right hand over her chest, squinted at the moon, then smiled.

"He's saying."

"I'll find you."

Artie, too, peered up at the round object in the sky. But, it was in frustration. Mayumi had behaved uncharacteristically, and he believed it was due to the "role" she was cursed with.

That night he remained awake, reluctantly observing her as she received and welcomed unheard messages from the emerald moon.

When morning came, the rest of the guild was notified of what had transpired. Since only Mayumi could hear the voice, they also concluded it was a consequence of her "role."

Finding it a suitable time, Artie shared his interaction with the Ai and how he also received a role. Their reactions were initially bewilderment, but they accepted it readily and prayed he wouldn't become possessed and stand out in the rain during thunderstorms.

 

<>

 

The end of their travel brought them back to the forest zone. Artie didn't miss that area and sincerely hoped they could accomplish their objective without going into the town.

Laria and Harvey's lead referred to two different sources of unnatural sound manipulation. One was a hollow shell that Harvey tampered with before their journey, and the other was a documented bat monster that could produce sound blasts. It was too powerful to capture, so Laria could only learn about it through the reports of other hunters.

It was decided that they'd split up to tackle each lead. Sebastian, Mayumi, and Artie would explore the monster's known location. While Laria, Harvey, and Rachel would go to the nearby town and examine the shell more.

The cited location of their wild target was announced to be inside a cave. Once at the entrance, Mayumi side-eyed Artie as if analyzing him.

"Hm?" He sounded, finding the reason for her attention to be unclear.

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Mayumi questioned.

"There's still time to request help from the town's hunters."

"I don't want to worry about a stranger stabbing me in the back," Artie refused.

Sebastian leaped in front of him, raised his hands then wiggled his fingers creepily.

"There may not be any coming back from this, ya know."

"It's just a cave," Artie observed, raising his left brow while scanning a narrow dark passage.

"Normies call it a cave, but actually, It's a dungeon!" Sebastian exclaimed, jolting at Artie in an attempt to frighten him.

"A while ago, Phillip's squad explored it and became trapped. They were stuck there for two days before a search party finally found them."

"Or, at least the few survivors that remained because the rest of his party was EATEN ALIVE."

While Artie discerned the man was just duping him, he believed some of what he said was true. He'd heard about a missing squad months ago and even saw Phillip injured in a medical center.

Even after Sebastian's tale, he wasn't worried. When it was settled that they wouldn't seek outside help, Mayumi commenced a concise debrief of their objective.

"According to Phillip's report, it'll take an hour to arrive at the second chamber where our target is located."

"Neither of you was there when he explained his experience, so I'll forewarn you not to let your guard down."

 

As reassurance, Artie raised his right arm, stretched out his fingers, then faintly grunted as he flexed his palm. On command, the black, sharp nails on hand lit up and lightning emitted around the claws. It felt like a tingle to him, but he was confident it would prove much more lethal to other creatures.

"Wha-"

"When could you do that!?" Shouted Sebastian, his face opening up in astonishment.

"As annoying as it is, I realized this ability is activated through emotions."

"Once I learned to control the horns, the rest came naturally," explained Artie, shaking the lingering effects off his hand.

"You really aren't human anymore," Mayumi quietly mumbled with fixed eyes.

Her statement struck a chord, and he felt dismal. His memory of the discriminatory town and the sibling's fear of him returned and induced a frown. It was true; it wasn't normal for humans to grow horns and expel lightning from their bodies. He still loathed his dissimilarity, but at the same time, he needed that ability to achieve his goals.

Sebastian had been pouting while kicking up dirt and complaining.

"Ugh-"

"How come you two are the only ones that get powers."

"What I wouldn't give to have my level 60 fire mage class…."

Mayumi looked dismayed by his remark, then turned away. The difference between Artie and Mayumi's "power" was that he always had complete autonomy over his body. When Artie noticed her diminished spirit, he slapped Sebastian's shoulder.

"Let's just hurry and clear this dungeon."

"Worst-case scenario, she's nearby."

"She?" Both Sebastian and Mayumi synced.

Artie walked into the dungeon's entrance first, and the other two followed soon after. Prepared to confront whatever threats awaited them inside.

2