11 – Haimorrha’s Law
4.4k 7 134
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Stacy -

I entered the temple room where Lord Dagon awaited my presence. He was the Patriarch of our religion, the head of all priests and priestesses of Haimorrha, and the strongest vampire alive.

At the back of the room there was a pedestal that supported the stone idol that represented Haimorrha. It was stained red by the blood that we bathed it in during nightly rituals. The statue depicted Haimorrha with large bat wings and taller even than Lord Dagon, who himself was a very large and imposing man.

Dagon stood in front of Haimorrha with his back to me, red hair flowing behind him like a curtain of blood. The ceremonial robes of Haimorrha were black with red and gold accents, and Dagon’s robes were more elaborate than any of the other priests kneeling in the room.

I approached Dagon, wearing my own robes over my usual clothing, and sat on the floor before him. “The tribe of lowlifes has been subjugated as requested,” I reported.

Dagon nodded, half-turning to face me. “It took you longer than expected. I assume there’s a reason?”

“About that, if it’s all right with you I’d like the discuss the matter in private.”

He eyed me for a second before nodding. “Very well.” He sat a goblet of blood down at Haimorrha’s feet, and I followed him through one of the side doors into a private room.

The walls of the room were lined with various ritual tools, such as those for extracting and collecting blood, as well as several religious and historical texts. He seated himself behind the desk at the edge of the room and I sat in front of him.

“So what is it then?”

I bowed my head slightly. “The lowlifes were in possession of an immortal. She’s under my care now, but I would prefer that word not spread of her status.”

Dagon nodded without hesitation. “By the law of Haimorrha, anything of the lowlifes’ is now rightfully yours. You may do with her as you please, and I will honor your request for secrecy.”

Haimorrha’s law prohibits stealing, but encourages conquest. By defeating an opponent in combat, you earn the right to claim their possessions as your own. By defeating the lowlifes that captured her I had every right to take Bridget as my slave, but I much preferred our current relationship.

I bowed my head again. “Thank you, Lord Dagon. I am honored by your understanding.”

“Drop the formality. We’re alone here.” He folded his hands on the table, leaning forward. “So, tell me about this immortal. A woman I presume?”

“How did you know?”

He rubbed a hand through his well-trimmed beard, grinning. “I saw you arrive through the window of my private quarters. You seem quite close with her.”

I nodded. “We’ve spent a few days together already. I fear her mind has been severly damaged, perhaps even before she arrived in this world. I want to help her.”

“Oh? Were you aiming to gain Chercella’s favor? Or is there something more in it for you?”

My eyes darted to the side at his teasing. “Well, she has agreed to give me her blood.”

He grinned. “There, now you’re sounding more like a servant of Haimorrha.”

With my business with Lord Dagon concluded, I excused myself from the room and began my way to the guest house. On my way there though, I ran into an unpleasant face.

“What was that about?” Dante called to me from behind. “Something happen that you can’t say in front of the rest of us?”

“I just wanted to hang out with Lord Dagon. Jealous as usual?”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “It’s about that new pet of yours isn’t it? What’s special about her?”

I shrugged. “She’s just my new lover. You know me, I can’t turn down a pretty girl.” I smiled. “If you want her, you’ll have to fight me. You know the law.”

He scoffed. “Don’t worry, I’m not interested in your whore.”

“Whatever,” I waved him off and continued on my way.

Of course in reality that law didn’t really apply here, since I haven’t taken ownership over Bridget. It technically wouldn’t be illegal for him to conquer her. He didn’t need to know that though. And if he did try anything like that… Well, for his sake, let’s hope he doesn’t.

Priscilla bowed her head when she saw me enter the guest house. “Lady Bridget is eating dinner. After she finishes I plan to show her to the bath house.”

“Good.” I patted her on the shoulder. “I’ll let you two get to your bath then. Can you tell Bridget I’ll see her afterward?”

She bowed. “If I may, Lady Stacy, there was something I wanted to ask you about. It’s about Lady Bridget.”

Priscilla told me about her conversation with Bridget. It was concerning to say the least, but my suspicions were confirmed. Pulling her from misfortune wasn’t enough to help her. Something was fundamentally broken inside her, and it would take more than just kindness to heal her.

134