23 – Willpower
4k 14 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Bridget -

We were on our way again at the sun’s first light. After half a day of walking, we came across a tiny village nestled in the woods. It was an area cleared of trees and filled with a series of log cabins.

The little village was filled with activity, with farmers tending to their little fenced-in gardens, and smoke billowing from chimneys where delicious meals were no doubt being prepared inside.

One of the town’s guards approached us as we neared the village. He wore drab looking armor, and he eyed Stacy especially suspiciously. “What business does a vampire have in Harthwood?”

Leslie stood forward, introducing herself. “My name is Leslie Levire, priestess of Ashmay. Stacy here has also received Ashmay’s blessing, so I would ask that you address her with the respect she deserves.”

The guard stared down at the small woman, blinking. “Levire?” she asked. “As in Saint Levire?”

“She was my mother, yes.”

“Forgive me, Miss Levire, Miss Stacy, and…” His eyes landed on me. I was hiding behind Stacy. I think he was waiting for me to give my name, but I didn’t say anything. Stacy threw me an amused smile.

The man continued, “Anyway, you’re welcome to stay in our village. We don’t have a proper temple here, but I can arrange so you can stay at our inn free of charge tonight.”

“How kind of you,” Leslie sidled up to the man’s side, whispered something into his ear, then returned to speaking at normal volume. “Would you mind escorting us to this inn?”

The guard blushed a little. “Of course, right this way.”

The inn was one of the larger buildings, constructed mostly of logs like the other buildings and with two stories. Our room was on the second floor, and Leslie elected to get a separate room.

“There’s something I wanted to ask you about,” Stacy said after we got settled in our room. We each sat on our own bed. “When you were in that cell, Dagon said he asked you something, but you couldn’t answer because you were under the effect of a spell.”

I nodded. “He asked why I washed the statue.”

“Can you tell me the answer?”

I hesitated for a moment, but this time the answer came out easily.“Dante told me to clean the temple,” I said. “Wait, why can I say it now?”

“The spell must have worn out. Most spells don’t last long if they aren’t maintained. So he approached you in the kitchen?”

“Well, he approached the other maid first. Said he wanted a maid to go with him to the temple. I volunteered.”

“So he didn’t ask for you specifically?”

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“He really is sly. I doubt he’ll face any official punishment, so I’ll have to get back at him next time I see him. In the mean time though, you need to learn how to resist domination spells.”

“How do I do that?”

“The simplest way is to just be loved by the gods. Having high favor will offer passive protection against that kind of magic. Obviously that hasn’t worked for you though. Honestly, I’m a little surprised your favor wasn’t enough to protect you. The only other way is willpower. If you have experience with domination spells then you should be able to break them through sheer force of will.”

“But I have a weak will. I don’t think I can do it.”

“That’s why we’re going to practice. We’ll work on building your willpower. Listen, I’m going to order you to do something. I want you to resist with all of your might.”

I hesitantly nodded, and stood up.

Stacy’s eyes flashed, and she gave her command. “Take off your clothes.”

“What? Why!?” I asked, throwing my arms across me chest.

“It has to be something you don’t want to do. It’s the easiest way to build your resistance. I know you’re reluctant about being seen naked.”

“Oh,” I said. Well, it’s not like this would be the first time Stacy saw me in a state of undress, and we are in private after all.

I slid the cloak off my shoulders and let it fall to the floor. Next, I moved to loosen my dress.

“Stop,” Stacy held out a hand. “You’re not resisting at all. Sorry, I shouldn’t have explained myself.”

My cheeks flashed bright red as I realized what I was doing, and I sat back on the bed, hugging a pillow against my chest.

“Sorry, I’m not good at anything,” I said.

“It’s fine, you just need more practice.”

“What’s next?”

An evil grin appeared on Stacy’s face. “Well, how about we take this outside?”

I felt the blood drain from my face. “Absolutely not!” Who knows what kind of embarrassing things she might command me to do in front of others!

Her eyes flashed. “I’ll make that an order.”

85