Chapter 3: Artifact
187 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Log Data/key015-7/grim_sarcophagus]: A psionic coffin attuned to "death" energy.

Water splashed onto the bathroom floor as Eon pulled the shower curtain back and jumped out of the tub, surprised by what he had heard. Standing over the counter that his watch rested on, he tapped on the screen and a hologram hovered before him.

Item selected: [Grim Sarcophagus]

The coffin was fashioned from a dark colored stone, almost volcanic in nature. Demonic creatures akin to gargoyles were carved into the stone, leaving no corner left untouched. Together their forms blended into inscriptions and created archaic symbols, none of which Eon recognized.

The face of the sarcophagus bore a grotesque smile where dark smoke leaked out from a hole behind a fanged maw. Eon wasn't sure if he was looking at a devil or the stylized depiction of the beings it belonged to. But either way, the sarcophagus was a psionic artifact—unlike one he had ever seen before.

Artifacts were strange objects constructed solely out of arc energy, often found inside the portals that form around Nexus Veins. Their unique composition bound themselves to psionics, granting the ability to form eternal bonds that created a connection that could only be split through death. 

Using these rare artifacts, psionics discovered new applications of arc energy, and enhanced the limits of their control. Eon had heard of psionics who gained the ability to heal others, applying golden flames to wounds that regenerated near fatal damage. Was this "death-energy" the opposite?

"Read the full description," Eon directed, watching the stone coffin exhale smoke.

Item: Grim Sarcophagus

Date received: 2773/03/04

Status: Sold

Recipient: Vorn

Dimensions: 3m × 1.5m × 1.5m

Weight: 907kg

Material: Unknown

Origins: Unknown

Appraisal: Complete - Parek Qorbin

Notes: 1/1 available - audio record

"Play record," Eon said.

A slight static echoed as the file started, then Eon heard the voice of Parek Qorbin.

"Discovered in a new sector beyond the Outer Rim, this coffin is by far the strangest thing I've ever encountered. Well, maybe not. Solman and his crusty ass breath still holds that medal, but this sure is a close second."

A low hum filled the room, like an intake of breath.

"What you just heard was air being sucked into the mouth on the coffin's lid. After inhaling, black smoke is exhaled as if the coffin itself is breathing. The smoke consists entirely of arc energy, yet maintains its altered shape without a will to guide the process."

"This phenomena isn't unusual with psionic artifacts, however the potency of this… "death-energy" is quite frightening. One small whiff and it has drained the lives of my poor subjects, Mr. and Mrs. Whiskers. Vitality was sucked out of their small bodies until they shriveled up into dry husks. Further tests revealed that the smoke can wilt plants, and is capable of eroding arc crystals."

"Aside from the unique energy, the engravings on the stone exterior lead me to believe this artifact comes from an advanced psionic civilization. Perhaps the First Empire. Tool marks are nonexistent, suggesting a Binder or equivalent molded the stone to form."

"A seamless line connects the two halves of the sarcophagus with extreme precision. Attempts at opening the lid have failed. The material also seems impervious to damage, and maintains a thin protection of unattuned arc energy refilled by the ghastly smoke. Somehow the artifact is converting the attuned death-energy back to its original state."

"Conclusion: Unless this is some sort of bed, I think it's safe to assume we're dealing with a coffin. However, zombies are unable to be ruled out."

The hologram rotated one final time before it blinked out. Eon's last image of the sarcophagus was the grim visage on the front. It stared back at him like a reflection, like a dark omen for what was to come. He had unknowingly stepped into a pot of boiling water and it was about to overflow. Estera hid a new type of power, and he just sold the location less than five hours ago.

On top of that he had the Emberlord contract to worry about. Dropping the contract now would put another target on his back, and if he completed it he would find himself in even deeper waters—having sold the information to two competing parties. Playing both sides never worked out.

"Damnit Saul," Eon said, growing anxious. "Okay, don't panic. I'm jumping to conclusions. The Revenant has held up so far, and what the Guild doesn't know won't hurt them. I'll report back in a week. By then word should have slipped. No one can keep their lips shut about that sarcophagus after seeing the smoke it emitted."

Stepping back into the shower to finish rinsing himself off, Eon jumped in alarm when his holo-watch rang. Apparently his nerves weren't under control. Currently, he was one of the few people on Typhon with information about the strange new artifact, and he didn't want to know what others would do to obtain that information. Had he already been exposed?

Leaning out of the shower to check the caller ID, Eon sighed with relief. Luckily, there was no mysterious number that he had to worry about.

"Hello?" he said, answering the call.

"She's missing!" a frantic A'steri yelled.

"What?" Eon frowned.

"Bun, we can't find her!"

Eon stood frozen as a small face appeared in his mind.

"Elijah kept her company," A'steri continued. "You know how she gets around too many people. But when…" her voice grew distant to Eon's ears.

The face was none other than Bun, a child no older than ten, and slightly small for her age. Their paths collided four years ago on a bright and sunny, yet dark day. Bun, short for Bunny, was wearing rabbit pajamas while buying a cone of vanilla ice cream and sprinkles, before her world changed.

Eon was coming back from an errand when the girl's parents were killed directly in front of her, as she turned around to see her father shielding her mother from a gunman. However, the heated plasma rifle wouldn't be denied, leaving them filled with smoking holes. A grim pair of rings for the dead couple.

It wasn't the first time Eon saw death and it wouldn't be the last. No, what Eon saw that day was innocence being stripped by the reaper. By the hell of living in a poor and violent society. He often wondered what path his life would have taken if it weren't for the war. And every day since the murder, he wondered what life would have been like for little Bun.

They shared similar histories, and because of that there was a fracture in the girl's soul, one he could still see through her eyes. Due to her past she had withdrawn into herself, but with the help of A'steri and Eon, she had made considerable progress. Eon didn't know if she would fully recover, but if she did, he wondered if that would help her remember her name.

In a way he was helping to heal himself, as twisted as it may sound. But now his arrogance had endangered her… or worse.

Is this a way to get back at me?

"Eon! Eon!" A'steri called.

Eon finally registered her voice when a loud knock banged on his door. "Give me a second," he said.

Paranoia he hadn't held since obtaining the Revenant returned, and his body tensed, recalling skills A'steri had trained him for. Using his holo-watch, Eon pulled up the feed for his door camera, only to see a completely black screen. The uninvited guest had covered the camera lens, hiding their identity.

"Lock everything down," Eon warned A'steri, ending the call.

Another knock hit his door as he tied a towel around his waist. [Data Breach] bypassed the firewall to his apartment complex, accessing the feed from its cameras. In front of his apartment stood a short bald man. He wore no gang affiliated colors, but the concealed pistol bulging out of his shirt didn't put Eon at ease.

Half wet, Eon equipped the Revenant and activated [Shroud]. Gripping his pistol, he ran to his balcony, leaving everything, even a set of clothes. Everything in the apartment was expendable besides the treasure strapped to his wrist.

Sliding the balcony door open, Eon remembered Mochi. He fought with himself, wondering if he should save the cat. Glancing around, he found it at the door.

"Mochi!" Eon half yelled half whispered, but the feline ignored him, flicking its tail in conjunction with the clicking of the door lock.

Time slowed as Eon questioned his next step. He could leave, escape to the nest he set up for this very occasion. But A'steri's frantic voice made him stay. He wanted to see who was behind Bun's abduction and he wanted to make them pay.

As the doorknob turned, Eon raised his pistol, squeezing the trigger. Eight supercharged bullets fused into a plasmic ball strengthened by a spark emitter that applied a kinetic field to the ionized mass. Once Eon's finger lifted off the trigger, the charged gun would shoot, and there would be a fist sized hole in whoever stepped through the door.

Eon's eyes narrowed, waiting to see the bastard's face. As the door opened, their eyes met. The short man lumbered in with a cocky smile, carrying the hat used to block the door camera. A security hat from the residential security guards.

"Shit…"

Now face to face, Eon recognized the man. Yet the Acorn released its payload; a molten ball of plasma shooting through the air, encapsulated by a rotating force of kinetic energy.

John, the off duty security guard, dropped down to the floor, barely surviving his brush with death. "What the hell was that for?!" He yelled, rising to his feet, withdrawing his own pistol. "You could have killed me!"

"S-sorry, I thought you were someone else," Eon said when he noticed John had pissed himself. The pee stain ran down his leg where a little girl hid, her eyes wide in shock and fear.

"Bun?!"

A fire alarm sounded as Eon noticed Bun, and sprinklers activated in the hallway.

"Now look what you've done!" John yelled, his pistol trained low.

Eon held his revolver low as well, ready to raise it if need be. He had started second guessing himself, but John wasn't out of the clear yet. "Get over here Bun," Eon said, keeping his eyes on John.

John stepped in between her, causing Eon to raise the Acorn higher. "You don't want to do that."

John frowned. "You're going crazy pal. I brought her here to help. She was lost looking around for this place. At this time of night, you're lucky I found her."

Eon eyes turned to Bun, who looked guilty, her disheveled blonde hair covering her blue eyes. "Is that true?" Eon asked, knowing the answer.

Bun nodded.

Shaking his head Eon sighed. "What am I going to do with you, you almost gave A'steri a heart attack."

"You're going to pay me for her protection," John butted in. "That's what you're going to do. And I've seen that beauty you've been driving, so don't skim out on me, or else." John finished with a bastard grin, pointing a thumb at the bullet hole Eon had created in the wall of his neighbor's apartment. Apparently no one was home, likely celebrating the Lunar Festival. 

"5,000 credits?" Eon offered, rolling his eyes.

John scoffed. "You best go higher, or I'll have you evicted before you can wipe your ass."

John's grin grew wider at Eon's annoyance, but the netrunner didn't care one bit.

"Fine," Eon said, tapping on his holo-watch. "What's your account?"

50,000 credits taken from the local City Guild, Estera's police force operating under Star Federation law, was transferred to John's banking account. If John knew better, he would have realized that 50,000 credits was the exact amount the Guild would start looking into fraud claims, unless they were paid to look the other way. Instead he was ecstatic, thinking he had scared Eon.

"Now get out," Eon said. "That should be more than enough."

Eon locked the door behind John, turning to scold little Bun, but after seeing her small frame hold Mochi, he didn't have it in him. "Did you at least bring your revolver?"

The birthday girl nodded.

"Good," Eon said, dialing A'steri's number. "But you're still in big trouble."

10