[Chapter eleven] Guardian
588 6 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After making sure that Yahanaseara has mostly calmed down, I take a quick morning shower and then swap out all my dirty laundry for a fresh change of clothes through the amazing power of MAGIC.

Because I'm awesome like that.

Then comes the usual morning routine of tying my hair back so it's out of the way and making sure my glasses are clean and adjusting my clothes so nothing's out of place and everything else I have to do too...

...but soon enough, I'm ready to face the world.

"Hey," I glance back as we're leaving the room. "Are you fine with eating on the go?"

"Yes?"

Yahanaseara's response is much less lively than what I've grown accustomed over the not-quite-a-day that I've known her.

"I mean I'd definitely prefer to stuff myself with pancakes or whatever, but that's probably not the best idea since we're probably going to be on the road today."

Because not even the wonders of magic are capable of offsetting the horrors of having to do one's business outdoors.

"We are leaving already?"

"If possible, anyways," I shrug. "It's not entirely up to me."

"Were we not simply going to fly to our next destination as we did to arrive here?"

"No way," I shake my head. "I was gonna see if we could hitch a ride with someone headed that way who needed some extra security.  Like a caravan or something."

While I generally hate escort missions since they involve prolonged interactions with strangers, I'm more than willing to make an exception when it means that I'm actually getting paid to travel.

"You work as a bodyguard?" Yahanaseara asks with a bit more energy in her voice.

"I work as an adventurer," I correct her. "Which is why we're going to the Guild after checking out here."

And so, we make our way down to the inn's front counter so that I can do just that.

This place is a lot less packed than when we got in here last night, though from the fear in the eyes of some onlookers it does seem that a few remnants of that crowd are still around. The girl at the counter responds to my approach in much the same way, cringing as I reach out to her in order to hand over the key to our room.

And to top it all off, I hear multiple sighs of relief as we exit the building.

How rude.

"...Savior."

Yahanaseara calls out to me as we make our way down the street.

"Hm?"

I glance back at the Elemental Spirit.

"What is this 'Guild' that you mentioned earlier?"

"You mean the Adventurer's Guild?"

"...I suppose?"

She sounds completely lost.

"Oh yeah... I guess you wouldn't have heard about it.  It was only established like four hundred years ago, a little while after the Holy War."

"Holy War!?"

Her eyes grow wide.

"I, uh... guess I really should've given you a crash course on major world events last night."

Nice going, me.

"But to give as basic an explanation as possible regarding the Guild, it's a place where you can commission and take on random jobs," I say. "Bounty hunting, material gathering, bodyguarding, searching for missing persons, escort missions... they cover a lot of different areas, and they've got branches all over the continent."

"And you were planning on taking a commission from this place?"

"Yup," I nod. "And I figured that we might as well register you there too while we're at it."

"Eh? I know nothing about this 'Guild' thing, so what good would I-"

"You're traveling with me now, right?"

"For as long as you will have me, yes."

A solemn nod.

"Well that makes us a package deal. And which would you rather hire- one adventurer who has a potential liability tagging along, or an adventurer duo?"

"...ah," she nods.

"Er-"

God damn it, me.

"It's not like I'm actually calling you a liability or anything," I stammer, "it's just a hypothetical of what some random person might assume-"

"I understood your point," Yahanaseara replies, a slight smile on her face. "So you need not worry about offending me."

"If you say so," I sigh. "...come to think of it, how are you feeling today? Condition-wise, I mean."

"Oh?" her eyes widen. "I recovered enough magical energy overnight that I am no longer in any immediate danger, if that was your concern."

"That's a relief to hear."

"At present, I am..."

She looks down at herself for a little while and then stares at me for around the same amount of time.

"...about the same as you in terms of size."

"Hey.  I know I'm small, but I'm not that-"

Oh. Wait.

She was talking about my soul, not my chest.

"You know, Savior..."

That smile is giving me a bad feeling.

"...the way you get so insecure about something so meaningless is quite possibly the most adorable thing about you."

I guess I ought to be happy that her mood has recovered BUT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE AT MY EXPENSE

"Wwwaaait a minute."

"??"

A certain realization cuts through the haze of embarrassment.

"I'm no slouch, and you're saying that you match me now? After recovering for a single night?"

"Yes?" Yahanaseara tilts her head and does a cute little pout. "By all means I should have recovered more, but my absorption rate for this area's Earth-type magical energy is rather poor."

My magical reserves. Naturally at a higher level than like seventy-five percent of the population. Painstakingly built up from that already-high starting point since I was like six. The envy of a lot of mages who are twice my age. And she matches them in less than a day.

"Must be nice being an Elemental Spirit..."

For the first time in my life, I'm hit with the hard truth that there are some barriers that not even my overwhelming natural talent can surpass.

And this ugly feeling continues to loom over me until we finally reach the Adventurer's Guild office.

Despite being a branch of a continent-wide organization, the office itself isn't any bigger than any of the other stores around here... though unlike most of those, it occupies its own standalone building.

The exterior is kept nice and tidy on account of the Guild's strict standards, with its identifying nameplate still every bit as shiny as the day it was first made.

Foot traffic around here isn't too much, it's actually a step lower than most of the surrounding establishments. For various reasons, most branches get most of their visitors in the morning and evening.

...though considering that it's still morning right now, I guess this town's branch is one of the less-busy ones.

"...well crap," I mutter as we enter the building.

Because despite how little traffic there was outside, there are multiple lines to the front counter, each containing at least five people.

So much for outward appearances.

"Is there a problem?"

Noticing my irritation, Yahanaseara tugs on my sleeve.

"No," I shake my head. "I just wasn't expecting us to have to wait in line, is all."

"Ah."

But with no other choice, we take our places in the one that seems to be moving the fastest.

Peering out past the queued-up adventurers at the counter itself, I can spot three clerks manning the station.

...or womaning, I guess. Since they're all cute girls.

Places like this always prioritize the ladies when hiring, since male adventurers tend to be more pliable when dealing with attractive girls and female adventurers tend find them less intimidating to deal with than some burly muscly guy.

As for me, I don't care either way.

Because talking to strangers is still talking to strangers, regardless of sex.

I swear... if it wasn't for my boundless curiosity regarding the mysteries of the outside world, I'd just do like my father does and coop myself up in his study all day long.

"Well lookie here!"

With my antisocial thoughts are cut short by a deep booming voice, I glance back to find some big burly muscly guy now lined up behind me.

How appropriate.

"So what're you, a dancing girl or summat? You're showing an awful lot of skin there..."

Great.

As much as I already really hate having people standing behind me, this guy's trying to pick up chicks too.

...wait a minute.

"You take issue with my manner of dress?"

I turn around and find Yahanaseara looking up at the big bald idiot.

God damn it.

"Not at all, I appreciate the show," the man laughs. "What's with the fake horns, though?"

He points to the sides of her fluffy head.

"My hair ornaments were a gift from my brother," Yahanaseara replies, her neutral gaze shifting to a slight glare.

"Well if you were thinking that those'd get you some Dragon customers, you might wanna know that they don't really appreciate it when puny humans like us imitate 'em."

His massive arm slowly reaches out.

"...but I wouldn't mind payin' for a round or t-"

Before his filthy fucking hand can reach her chin, my staff darts out to block its path.

"Wha-"

"Watch it," I growl.

Before even making the conscious decision to do so, I find myself standing between them.

"Savior!?" Yahanaseara gasps.

"Savior?" The man smirks at me. "Nice name... what are you, her guardian?"

"Yeah, that's exactly right," I snap back.

"Ha!"

The muscled thug stands up straight so he can properly loom over me... but he's only got maybe two inches on me so he's not anywhere nearly as intimidating as he thinks he is.

Being tall has its benefits.

"The hell's a four-eyed beanpole like you gonna do against a Silver-ranked adventurer, huh?"

He reaches towards me with his index finger extended.

"Shade Guard."

But before that disgusting thing can get anywhere near me, my shadow shoots up and forms a solid wall that blocks its path.

"Wha-"

His face completely pale, the idiot staggers back.

"I didn't even see any Script-"

"NEXT!"

A loud shout echoes out from behind me.

Aaaand it seems like the duration of our little altercation was enough time for everyone who was ahead of me in line to finish their business.

"If you're gonna screw around, take it outside!" the clerk girl calls out.

"...sorry about that," I reply, stowing my inner embarrassment deep down where nobody will notice it.

And so, turning my back to the stupid macho moron who caused this whole thing, I motion for Yahanaseara to follow me to the counter.

"How can I help you?"

The clerk girl hits me with a glare of annoyance. Naturally, I offer another apology before continuing with my own business.

"I had two things to take care of today," I say.

"And those would be?"

Yeah, there is no love lost here.

"First, I was wondering if there were any escort mission requests heading towards Hovora. And second, I'd like to sponsor her registry into the Guild," I say, pointing to Yahanaseara.

"Alright, then," the clerk nods. "Your name?"

"Ah, she's-"

"I meant your name," the clerk sighs while pointing at me.

"Oh," I nod. "Brigitte Martine Fehrenschildt."

"Brigitte..."

I glance over at Yahanaseara and she returns a bright smile.

"...that is a very pretty name."

"Uh, thanks," I shrug.

...hold up....

oh my God we've been together this entire time and I never told her my freaking name aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

 

It only took eleven chapters for our protagonist to finally gain an actual name.

I was actually aiming for ten, but circumstances decided otherwise.

26