[Chapter twelve] Adventurer’s Guild
512 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It goes without saying that one of the most basic things that a person does when meeting someone new is to introduce themself.

For example, Yahanaseara, the Flower of the Heavens.

Even traumatized from having been trapped in a lightless prison for over a thousand years, she still had enough presence of mind to conform to this most basic of customs and introduce herself as such.

On the other hand, I am apparently so lacking in basic common sense that the thought NEVER EVEN OCCURED TO ME UNTIL JUST NOW.

All my life, I was under the assumption that my social ineptitude was exactly equal to my father's.... but it seems that I am in fact even more socially retarded than he is.

Now Yahanaseara doesn't seem to be offended by the fact that she didn't even know my freaking NAME until overhearing it just now, but that's probably just because she's latched onto me like a stray puppy. It still doesn't change the base issue at hand here.

That being that I am an idiot when it comes to interacting with others.

"Brigitte Fehrenschildt..."

The clerk's repeating of my name pulls me out of my inner panic. Fortunately, she's completely unaware of the nonsense that's currently occupying my thoughts.

At least my poker face is still on point.

"Pardon me while I confirm your identity."

The clerk picks up what looks like an oddly-shaped circlet from behind the counter, places it atop her head and then her eyes immediately glaze over.  This sudden change seems to alarm Yahanaseara quite a bit, but the clerk starts talking again before the Elemental Spirit gets a chance to speak up about it.

"Brigitte Martine Fehrenschildt," the clerk says in an almost disturbingly flat tone of voice. "Silver-rank, Class B."

Someone behind me gasps at the mention of that last bit, but it's not like it's anyone worth paying any attention to.

"Guild members above Silver-rank are able to sponsor new registries, thus bypassing skill assessment requirements," she explains. "However, please note that any requests failed or forfeited during the probationary period will affect the rankings of both the new member and the one who sponsored them."

"Understood," I nod.

"Would the new applicant being sponsored please step forward."

Clearly still apprehensive about the sudden change in the clerk girl's demeanor, Yahanaseara cautiously approaches the counter.

"Please give your full name."

"Yahanaseara, t-"

"Titles aren't included," I interject before she can finish speaking.

I can't help but be just a little paranoid about the possibility of someone recognizing that 'Flower of the Heavens' bit and causing trouble for us later.

Just a little bit.

"Ah," she nods. "Then simply 'Yahanaseara.'"

"Very well," the clerk nods. "Your sex?"

"Female."

"Age?"

"Unknown."

"Nationality?"

"...not applicable."

The frown on her face as she says that is like a knife in my heart.

"Physical data collection complete. Now assessing soul data."

The clerk then pulls a monocle out of nowhere and affixes it over her eye.

"Lightning affinity. Similar volume to that of your sponsor."

With that final remark, she puts the monocle away and starts filling out a bunch of forms at a speed that's practically inhuman.

Seriously, it's a wonder that the paper is even able to withstand the stress of being written on that quickly.

And a few seconds later...

"Congratulations, Miss Yaana Seara," the clerk says, looking up from the completed paperwork.

"Yahanaseara," the Elemental Spirit interjects. "'Ya ha na se a ra.' Not 'Yaana Seara.'"

"My apologies," the clerk bows. "So it's 'YaHAna Seara?"

"No," she heaves an exasperated sigh. "'Yahanaseara.' The 'Ya' flows directly into the 'ha' with no separation, and with the latter having no emphasis on it at all."

"'Yahana Seara?'"

"...close enough," she replies with an exasperated sigh.

Huh, I think this is the first time I've actually seen her be adamant about anything. Makes me glad I heard this exchange before I ended up screwing up her name myself and pissing her off...

...but now the evil part of my brain wants me to say it wrong on purpose so I can see her adorable little pout and then keep on pushing so she gets completely exasperated because that level of frustration is sure to make for an especially de-

STOP THAT.

Bad Brigitte.

"In any event, welcome to the Adventurer's Guild," the clerk says. "As a Copper-rank Class A, it's possible for you to rank up to Silver following the end of the probationary period provided that you have enough completed requests under your belt."

"Thank you," Yahanaseara nods.

"Were you interested in taking on a request now?"

"That actually involves the second reason I came here," I interject.

"...oh?"

The clerk turns towards me.

"Ah, yes. Escort missions towards Hovora... so you meant to form a party with Miss Seara here."

Yahanaseara's eye just twitched, but I'm going to pretend not to notice that.

"Exactly," I confirm. "So were there any...?"

"Please wait while I check," the clerk replies as her eyes glaze over once again.

And then she whips out a piece of paper and gives us another display of her high-speed writing skills. Once she's done, her gaze returns to its previous post-circlet dullness and she hands the form over to me.

According to this, it's request graded at Silver-rank, Class E... a merchant's looking for someone to escort them along the way to Hovora, as well as keep watch while they camp out overnight at the midway point.

Exactly what I was looking for.

"We'll take it."

"Very well..."

The clerk then gives us the contact information for the client, after which time she takes off the circlet and immediately segues into the usual speech about Guild regulations and penalties for failed requests and all that boring stuff that I've heard a thousand times already.

It goes without saying that we waste no time in getting the hell out of there.

Though I do shoot that muscled moron a glare along the way.

Because I'm petty like that.

"Sav-..." Yahanaseara tugs on my sleeve. "...Brigitte."

"Bwah!?"

I stumble so hard that I'm forced to use my staff as support to keep from falling over.

"Sorry, I did not mean to-"

"N- no, it's fine," I reply, desperately trying to shake it off.

Because there is no reason why hearing my own name should make me react like that, what the hell.

"...would you prefer that I not refer to you by name?" she asks. "I did not even consider that it may be considered impolite to do so."

"No, it's fine," I shake my head. "You can keep on calling me 'Savior' or call me 'Brigitte' or whatever else, it doesn't really matter to me."

Oh yeah.

"...but try to avoid referring to me by my last name," I correct myself, "since that tends to draw attention that I really don't want."

I shall keep that in mind... Brigitte," Yahanaseara replies with a bright smile.

 

Looks like this story made it to #18 on trending last week... maybe it'll crack the top ten one of these days.

23