Chapter 1: A strange new world
1k 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Authors note]: I noticed after publishing that some of the coloring that I used for fonts was either difficult or impossible to read with light mode on. I will make an effort for everything to be readable in both dark mode and light mode, and I apologize for not taking that into consideration earlier.

Chapter 1: A strange new world

I awoke abruptly, with a terrible fury as if I had just experienced a horrible nightmare. Sitting up straight and gasping like I haven't had the opportunity to breathe in a matter of days, in a shaken frenzy I took note of my surroundings. It appeared I was in some sort of barracks, with people in soldiers' armor gathering their belongings to travel elsewhere or simply having casual conversations amongst themselves. There was only one other person I saw still in bed in the same predicament as I, a female half-orc sitting in the bed diagonal of me. We made brief eye contact, not quite recognizing each other, and then we both continued assessing our own situations. 

For a few moments I had no idea how I got here, where I was, or even who I was before I awoke. But just as quickly as these questions entered my mind, answers soon replaced them. My name is Aggamar Tekrathi, a male half-orc, an aspiring warrior loyal to the divine kingdoms, and I came to the training grounds in the shining valley yesterday.

 …Oh. Of course. What was I so shaken by? Anyway, now that my mind was back on track, it was off to adventure I go! Looking at the quest list at the right side of my vision, two quests appeared, one green and one yellow. Of course that meant that the green one was ready for hand in, and the yellow one still needed to be completed. As natural as sight itself!

 

Report to Sergeant Kleo (Completed) - Report to Sergeant Kleo residing in the training hall directly east of the barracks. Reward: 50xp & Standard issue sword & shield

Practice skills (0/3) - Use the target dummy in the training hall directly east of the barracks to practice [auto-attack], [swing] and [strike]. Reward: 150xp & Standard issue backpack [8 slots]

 

The training hall seemed to be where my journey would first begin. Immediately I grabbed my small pouch containing what few belongings I had brought with me and ventured out to the training hall. On my walk I tried thinking of who I was before I ventured out here, but I held little grasp on my past self. It wasn’t that my memory was fuzzy, it seemed like I had no memory to speak of. Even as long as 24 hours ago seems like a blur. But no matter. That just means that I’m excited for my future adventures! I’m here to make new memories, not ponder old ones! Eventually I see the entrance to the training hall and head inside to find the fighters chamber.

Along with several training dummies and a few adventurers using said training dummies were two class trainers with green nametags above their head reading Sergeant Pholfir [Brute trainer] as well as Sergeant Kleo [Warrior trainer]

I approached sergeant Kleo to hand in my first quest and was prompted with a box of dialogue as well as my first weapons. Equipping my sword and shield I was introduced to my inventory. 

 

Armor

Head: [N/A]

Shoulders: [N/A]

Chest: Standard issue Chestpiece (common)

Gloves: Standard issue Gloves (common)

Belt: Standard issue Belt (common)

Leggings: Standard issue Leggings (common)

Boots: Standard issue Boots (common)

Trinket [Slot 1]: [N/A]

Trinket [Slot 2]: [N/A]

Trinket [Slot 3]: [N/A]

 

Weapons

Main hand: Standard issue sword (common)

Secondary hand: Standard issue Shield (common)

 

All of my gear seemed quite bland at the moment. All the more reasons to continue my adventure to find upgrades! Next I need to practice my abilities on the target dummies. Immediately upon this thought another window opened up, my skill book.

 

Race skills [Half-orc]

The human spirit - all base stats increased by 1.

Orcish fury - increase STR and DEX by 5 for 10 seconds (15 min cooldown)

Bilingual - Speaks common and orcish

Lightvision - Can see the full color spectrum in lit environments

Half-orc armor class - Can use cloth, leather, chainmail, and plate armor.

 

Class skills [Warrior]

Warriors strength - Increase STR and CON by 3

Auto attack - default attack of your weapon. Generates 1 courage per hit.

Swing - slice horizontally in front of you, dealing 14 damage and generating 15 courage. (10 second cooldown)

Strike - Pierce forwards dealing 21 damage. (20 courage) (4 second cooldown)

 

Seeing mention of stats in my skills [Warriors strength] and [The human spirit], I decided to check my Character sheet. 

 

General

Name: Aggamar Tekrathi

Race: Half-orc

Biological sex: Male

Subrace: [N/A]

Class: Warrior

Subclass: [N/A]

Level: 1 (50/1500)

 

Stats

STR: 14

DEX: 11

CON: 14

INT: 11 

WIS: 11 

CHA: 11

 

It seems that for level 1 my base stats are all ten, and then increase with my racial and class specific skills. Moving on to my quest, I begin auto-attacking the training dummy and cast [Swing]. After a few more auto-attacks I gather enough courage, which for the warrior class is akin to mana, to cast [Strike], and to the right side of my vision I see my once yellow Practice Skills quest turn green. I turn around to the sight of sergeant Kleo with a yellow question mark floating above his head. I hand in my quest and accept the new one he offers.

 

Culling the worg population (0/10) - Kill ten worg’s southwest of the barracks and collect their canine teeth as proof. Reward: 150xp & worg tooth pendant

 

These worg’s have been terrorizing the farmers south of here. It’s time for a mighty hero to show them that they are not welcome around our settlement! I travel about 150 paces southwest where I spot my first worg. As the beast dives towards me I [Swing] before it can reach me. For the first time I noticed my healthbar at the top left of my screen.

 

Aggamar (Level 1)

Health: (140/140)

Courage: (13/100)

 

To the right of my healthbar I can see the healthbar of the worg I am attacking, 

 

Worg (Level 1)

Health: (11/30)

 

It appears the beast doesn't have a secondary stat unlike me. And also by doing some math, it seems that every auto-attack I do does about 5 damage. It also seems that the Worg are decently weak and won’t pose much threat despite my low level. After killing the worg I gain 10xp and collect its teeth. Many of the attacks the worgs throw at me are blocked by my shield, and so I finish the quest without taking much damage whatsoever. And what damage is done to me is regenerated by the time I move on to the next worg anyhow. 

On my way back to the barracks I stumble upon a rare elite level 500 mob. It looks human, but instead of having skin it is entirely smooth gray stone. It is turned away from me and most of its body is hidden by an enchanted purple cloak, but I can still tell it is very damaged, with cracks coursing throughout its entire body. It emanates a faint purple glow from the front, though it is hard to see so far away I make an educated guess that the light is emanating from its chest. I decide to investigate and slowly approach it, silently creeping behind it. I notice it is talking to somebody, although nobody else is visible.

23