(5) A flare of heat crept up my neck…
1.6k 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey guys! Hope you had a good weekend ^^ Recently I watched a romance movie called A Walk to Remember and aahh it was so good but so sad T^T It's based on the book of the same name, and although certain parts were changed, both versions are equally good! If you're into bittersweet stories that are deep and make you think about life, then definitely check it out :')
So anyway, this week's short story is kinda angsty-er than the previous ones, but also kinda fluffy? XD And just a side note...it doesn't contain smut >< The reason for that is because I wanted to try writing a breakup/lost love kind of story ^^;; Either way, hope you enjoy, and happy rotten reading~!

“Have you heard?” my best friend suddenly asked, eyes wide, drink halfway to his lips.

“About what?”

“That new cafe across town, of course!” He started scrolling through his phone.

“No...what about it?” I took a sip from my own drink. The lemonade tasted sweeter than I expected.

“Apparently it’s a book-slash-cat cafe all rolled into one, but that’s not the point!” He held up the phone. “Look who's the owner!”

I glanced at the screen. The picture on Instagram showed a handsome young man with jet black hair and pale smooth skin, standing outside in front of the cafe, smiling up at me. It’s been three years since I last saw that face, but I could recognize it anywhere. “Don’t tell me, is that...?”

“Yes! He announced the opening this morning, and it’s all over the Internet! I mean, books and cats? That’s just asking to go viral. But anyway...” He nudged me and grinned. “Are you gonna make a reservation?”

I knew what he was getting at. “I dunno...I mean, it would be the perfect chance to finally set things right between us...” I shrugged and took another sip. “He probably doesn’t wanna see me. And anyway, we haven’t spoken since it happened.”

“Then all the more reason to go meet him and tell him the truth! Face to face!”

I sighed. “It’s not that easy, man. You don’t know how he can be.”

“Yeah, but I do know that you’ve been nothing but miserable these last three years!” He chugged the last of his drink and slammed down the cup, wiping a hand across his mouth. “Look, what happened back then wasn’t your fault. Things sort of just...happened that night. And instead of hearing you out, the guy had stormed off and blocked you across all social media!”

I sipped my drink in silence.

“Not only that, but he even moved apartments, so there really was no friggin’ way you could have contacted him.” He paused. When he spoke again, his expression softened. “Look, man, I know it’s been hard, but be honest with me—despite everything that’s happened, despite everything he’s put you through...do you still have feelings for him?”

I set down my drink, and looked out the window. Far ahead, grey clouds began rolling in.

“Well...”

.
.
.
.
.

It had been pouring that day.

I had just stepped into the bookshop and stuffed my umbrella into the umbrella stand. The shop was dimly lit, casting a soft glow onto the shelves. I remember gliding down the aisles, flanked on both sides by books, and marvelled at all the stories held within those pages. I remember breathing in the scent—the smell of magic that could only be found among books.

One had caught my eye. Sitting on the top shelf, its spine was dark blue and speckled with gold-foiled stars, just beckoning me to take it down and flip through. I reached up, and just as I touched the spine, a hand suddenly grazed mine.

Immediately I pulled back. The other hand did too.

“Oh— I’m very sorry to startled you.” His voice was deep, and it pronounced every word carefully, as if making sure each syllable was heard.

“I-It’s alright,” I said, and looked up.

A young man, probably in his early twenties, with black hair and equally black eyes, smiled at me. “Here, lemme get that for you.” He took the book down and handed it to me.

I pushed the book towards him, shaking my head. “N-no, you take it.” Turning away, I was about to head down another aisle when he grabbed me, gently, around the wrist, the book pressed into my hand. I looked at it questioningly, then back at him. “Are you sure?”

He nodded. “Please, I insist.”

My heart started picking up speed, but from what I couldn’t be certain. “No, I-I think you should—”

He snapped his fingers. “Of course! Why don’t we ask the staff if they have another copy?”

.

The cashier turned out to be quite helpful. “Ooo, that book! It seems to be a popular read among young couples. Often times, couples would each buy a copy and read together.” She sighed dreamily. “We’ve been getting lots of inquires lately, so I’ve already sent in an order for more copies.” She tapped her computer. “The books should arrive in a couple of days. If you’d like, I can enter your contact information so you’ll be notified when they’re here.”

Before I could tell her I would be the one ordering, the young man gladly gave her his email. She tapped her computer some more. “Annnnd, done! We’ll let you know as soon as the books are here.” Then, in a lowered voice, “I’m sure you two will enjoy it very much. Most couples have said it’s the best book they’ve ever read!”

I held up a hand. “Oh, n-no. We’re not—”

“Thank you very much for your assistance, miss.” He flashed her that perfect smile. “I’m sure it is, indeed, a wonderful book.”

The cashier giggled. “My pleasure.”

Turning to me, he said, “Well, that takes care of it. I had no idea we stumbled upon such a popular book!”

I fiddled with the book in my hand, not trusting myself to look at him. “You didn’t have to do that...I could’ve waited for the new batch to come in.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, well, it’s just...” he indicated his chin in the direction of the shelves, “You had such a mesmerized look upon your face as you were browsing through the store, and I didn’t wanna be the one who took away that look from you.”

Immediately, a flare of heat crept up my neck. I could only hope the dimness of the bookshop was enough to hide the effect his words had on me. “I- um-...” What should I say? “If there was maybe some way I could repay you...”

He considered it for a moment, then snapped his fingers. “I know! Here, gimme your phone.” He held out his hand. I did as instructed, albeit doubtfully. He quickly keyed in something, then handed it back to me, grinning. “Text me as soon as you’re done. We can meet up and discuss our thoughts over coffee.”

We can meet up.

By now, the heat had spread over my face. “But...what if you haven’t finished reading?”

“I think I'll be able to manage.” He winked. “So, what do you say?”

I clutched the phone to my chest, and nodded.

“Then I shall await your message.” He beamed, giving me a curt little bow.

The way he acted...the way he spoke...I had almost expected him to kiss my hand goodbye. N-no, no! What am I thinking?!

I stood there, dazed, and it wasn’t until he left the bookshop, the bell on the door tinkling softly, did I finally let out a sigh. I hadn’t even realized I was holding in my breath.

Somehow, the thought of seeing him again made my cheeks burn.

...But so did the memory of his hand lingering on mine.

.
.
.
.
.

I turned back to my best friend. “Yes...Yes, I-I think I do... I just—” My eyes suddenly blurred, and in that moment, the walls crumbled down, and everything came pouring out, like an uncontrollable wave. It was as if, saying those words aloud...finally admitting them from the bottom of my heart...it was able to unleash everything I had been holding in all this time.

I wiped a hand across my eyes. “...I just miss him so much.”

He grinned, and slapped me on the back. “Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go make that reservation!”

Hope that was...somewhat enjoyable, haha. Thanks for reading, and see you guys next week! ^^

10