(8) He laughed, making me flush like before…
1k 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey guys! Happy Halloween~! ?
Just a quick update: starting next week the short stories will be going on a mini hiatus >< The reason is that I’ll be visiting family in Taiwan for a couple weeks, so I won’t be able to have much time to write ?? Hope you understand! But in the meantime, I'll be participating in a shortened version of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) over on my Instagram and Twitter! XD I won’t have time to reach the goal of 1600+ words per day, so I'll just be writing a very short one-sentence BL story per day, hahaha. (Feel free to check that out if you'd like :D)
So yeah, that’s kinda the plan for the upcoming weeks, LOL. Thank you all for your love and support, and happy rotten reading~! ??‍♂️✨✨

I had always been taught to kill them on sight, but I never imagined that one of them would lay before me, weak and harmless and on the brink of death, having just saved my life.

The boy looked no older than sixteen, but then again, it was difficult to tell with their kind. Skin pale as the moon and lips red as blood, they were the Night Walkers. For over a century, they terrorized and preyed on humans, living off our blood and keeping us in fear. Things would have continued were it not for a group of brave warriors, who trained in secret and developed tactics that could fight back against Night Walkers. Since then, five years ago, after the first Night Walker fell to the ground decapitated, humans have risen from the shadows and taken back what was rightfully ours.

But then...

I turned around.

The boy lay on his front, cloak torn and shredded, its edges dyed red from the pool of liquid seeping out from underneath him.

It all happened so fast...

.
.
.
.
.

I had been on duty, patrolling the village for the night, when a figure leaped out from behind a corner, silent as death.

I whipped around as quickly as I could, already unsheathing my sword, but he was faster and much stronger, and as we collided and tumbled onto the ground, he landed on my leg. Pain immediately shot up and I cried out, but there was no time to waste as we rolled around, me trying to push him off, him trying to bite my neck. Struggling to throw him off, I realized with dread that I was no match for him, especially with the condition of my leg. Ah well, guess this is it. So much for all that training... I can only hope I’ll be given a proper burial.

Accepting my fate, I closed my eyes just as he brought up a hand—

But the blow never came.

There was a yelp, and the weight pinning me down disappeared.

I opened one eye, then the other.

Standing before me, white cloak flapping in the wind, was another one of them, except this one looked younger than any I’d ever encountered before. He was holding a bow and his back was towards me, but his face was slightly turned and I caught a mischievous glint in those emerald eyes. He didn’t seem interested in me at all, and focused all his attention on the one that had attacked me, who, at that moment, was howling at the arrow sticking out his waist.

I couldn’t understand what was happening, but I knew I wasn’t safe yet. I opened my mouth, about to tell the younger one that he’s no match either, not sure why I even cared, when the pain in my leg overtook me, and I succumbed to the darkness.

.

Some time later, I woke up and found, to my displeasure, that my leg was getting worse. However, it seemed that I wasn’t in any immediate danger, because both Night Walkers were crumpled on the ground. The larger of the two was missing a head, of which I was both relieved and repulsed to see. As for the other one...

He lay on his front, cloak torn and shredded, its edges dyed red from the pool of liquid seeping out from underneath him. His head was intact, but losing all that blood would ultimately lead him to the same fate.

Perfect.

Taking out my sword, I used it as a cane and hobbled to my feet. The apothecary wasn’t far off, and I had just enough strength to pull myself over there. Looking up at the sky, I thanked the stars, then took a step forward—

The boy coughed.

I froze. Then turned around to see him.

Looking back now, I wasn’t sure what it was that made me save him. Perhaps it was the way he had appeared, sudden and quiet, like a guardian angel. Or perhaps it was because he had spared me, and, Night Walker or not, he deserved to be saved, too. 

Casting aside my sword, I crawled over and placed his head on my lap as best as I could. Rolling up the sleeve of my arm, I brought it to his lips and mumbled, “Here.”

He fluttered open his eyes, his gaze weak, until it fell over me, and his eyes widened.“Y-you...! You are...one of...th-them...”

“Yeah well, you’re also a part of them, and yet...” I shook my head. Now wasn’t the time to question him. “Look, just open your damn mouth and drink, alright? I don’t want you dying on me.”

He actually mustered up the strength to choke out a laugh. Strangely enough, his weak little laugh made me flush. “Why...would you...care...”

This brat! Why is he still talking? Does he WANT to die?

I took a deep breath and tried to remain calm. “Listen, I don’t know why you did it or what your intentions are, and maybe I’m crazy for doing this, but I will not let someone who just saved me die before my eyes.” I thrust my wrist into his face and had to refrain from prying open his lips. “So will you please just drink, damn it!”

He shook his head and chuckled. “Who said...I was...saving you...?”

What is his problem?! “F-fine! So maybe you didn’t want to save me. But can you just let me save you?” No sooner had the words left my mouth did I realize what I had just said. “I-I mean...I’m just repaying back a debt—n-nothing else...!”

He scoffed “How do you know...I don’t...want you dead...?”

I blinked. “Isn’t it obvious? You didn’t let him continue.”

He froze.

I rubbed my forehead and sighed. “Look, I don’t know who you are or why you came, but like it or not, you are dying right now and if you don’t hurry up and suck my— Aahh!! What the hell?”

His fangs pierced me by surprise. I scowled at him, but the brat just raised an eyebrow, pleased he caught me off guard. I rolled my eyes but didn’t say anymore, and let him drink in peace. In all my wildest imagination, I expected a Night Walker’s fangs to be sharp as knives, but actually, they weren’t as painful as I thought they’d be.

When he had drunk his fill, he sighed, content, and sat up and wiped an arm across his mouth. “Mmm, delicious. A little on the sour side, but I suppose beggars can’t be choosers.”

I think I’ll kill him after all. “Yeah yeah, whatever.” I took a deep breath. “Now, about what happened. Who are you? Where did you come from? And...why did you attack your own kind?”

Instead of answering, his lips curved into a sly smile. “Alright, I’ll explain everything. But first...” Reaching into his boot, he produced a small knife, blade glinting under the moonlight, “...Let’s take care of this, shall we?” and brought it down on my injured leg.

“No, wait! What are you—”

But the pain never came. Instead, he carefully cut away the fabric, exposing the skin, all swollen and purple. I watched him pass his hand over, chanting something under his breath. There was a sudden burst of heat, spreading from my leg and warming up my entire body. A moment later it vanished, and with it, the pain.

I stared in disbelief. Beside me, he chuckled. “It’s the least I can do.”

I wiggled my toes, then put weight on my leg, and found myself standing up with ease. “Holy Lord.” I looked at him. “Did you...I mean, has your kind always been able to do this?”

He shrugged. “There’s more to us than just blood and fangs, you know. That is, if your kind bothered to get to know us first instead of yelling bloody murder ever time we showed up.”

I looked over at the headless lump. “Well, you aren’t exactly approachable.”

At this he laughed, making me flush like before. Looking away, I murmured, “But anyway, thank you...for healing my leg. It’ll definitely make The Hearing more endurable.”

He stopped. “Surely they won’t sentence you? You can tell them it was you who killed him,” he nodded at the body.

“Yes, but to spare a Night Walker...that is of the highest crime.”

Green eyes flashed, and with it, blood red lips pulled into a smile, revealing those pointed tips that had graced my wrist just a moment ago. “Well then, you know what that means...” He took a step forward, closing the distance between us, then looked up at me, and even though he was a head shorter, I was suddenly intimidated. 

“Wh-what?” I asked.

He smirked, and trailed a finger down my chest. “Now that there’s a price on your head, I suppose you’ll just have to come with me.”

I pushed him away. “Are you insane? That will definitely brand me as a traitor!”

“Yes, well, at least you’ll be alive.” He stated, matter-of-factly.

I considered my options. Either I stay here and await execution for sparing a Night Walker, or run away with said Night Walker and await capture...which ends with execution.

I sighed. “How do I know I can trust you?”

He smirked. “I could ask you the same thing.”

Well, that’s no help.

“But...you did save me,” he said quietly. “So that makes you different.”

I looked at him, then at the village, and sighed again. “When do we leave?”

His face lit up. Bending down, he picked up my sword and passed it to me with a grin.

“Immediately.”

.
.
.
.
.

Looking back, I never thought in a million years I would save a Night Walker, let alone befriend one.

After we had tiptoed into a barn and made off with two horses, we began our journey under the midnight sky. As we rode, I couldn’t help but sneak little glances at him. Was I making a mistake? For so long, there has never been anything between humans and Night Walkers except war and bloodshed...

I shook my head. No. Things will be alright. I can’t explain it...but something about him makes me want to trust him, to protect him. And besides...

I blushed.

I wanted so desperately to hear that little laugh of his again.

Thank you guys for reading, and see you at the end of November~! ^^


4