43. Battle of the Elements
219 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Shen? he thought, confused. Single channel communication!

He did what she said, and successfully trapped the Lei Ting student. After realizing her mistake, she tried to retreat, but his two blades dashed after her. Unable to block in time, she got cut up and dropped to her knees.

She grounded out, "I admit defeat."

"Another victory for Shrek Academy!" Zhou Wuting announced.

Cheers rose up from spectators. Even Xue Beng and Ning Fengzhi looked pleased.

"These children did not disappoint," Xue Beng said. "I wonder what who Grandmaster will send to fight the Chi Huo students."

Ning Fengzhi easily replied, "Knowing how the elements work, the next one up will surely be the Needle-Tailed Swift spirit master. She can outfly fire, and can use her command of the air to fan the Chi Huo students' flames out of their control. Grandmaster will definitely send her out next."

Indeed, Han Niansui conceded, and Bai Shanxin stepped out onto the stage to meet the first Chi Huo student, Feng Huizhong1凤慧中 - given name meaning "Wise and Loyal".

"Can air really beat fire?" Feng Huizhong taunted. "See if you can defeat me!"

Bai Shanxin released her spirit, and her pearly pink wings appeared on her back. Four spirit rings, two yellow and two purple, descended around her. Feng Huizhong released her Fire Demon spirit. A silhouette, completely made of burning snot green flames, emerged behind her. Two yellow and two purple spirit rings danced around her feet.

A mutant spirit? Yu Xiaogang thought in wonder.

Feng Huizhong had not competed in the Preliminary Round. Her spirit and spirit skills had never been seen before. Bai Shanxin paused for a moment.

She's also a Spirit Ancestor. We're at the same spirit rank. Can air really beat fire?

Pushing aside her doubts, Bai Shanxin took to the air.

"Begin!" Zhou Wuting declared.

Bai Shanxin launched her second spirit skill, enhancing her flying capability, maneuverability, and stamina. She looked down and locked eyes with Feng Huizhong.

"Third spirit skill, Demon Asura!"

Feng Huizhong leapt up. Her spirit turned menacing, and her attributes were boosted by thirty percent. The Fire Demon tried to grab at Bai Shanxin, but the Needle-Tailed Swift isn't the fastest speed spirit for nothing. Bai Shanxin easily escaped the fiery grasp and flew higher up. She looked down at her opponent. Their eyes locked.

Taking the opportunity, Bai Shanxin cried, "Third spirit skill, Swift Charm!"

On top of gaining another five percent increase in her speed, she also momentarily stunned Feng Huizhong, giving her the ability to initiate two attacks. She launched her first spirit skill, Swift Dive, and shot down towards the ground like a shooting star. Her descent sped up exponentially. When she got close, her fingernails lengthened into talons, and she swiped at Feng Huizhong, who finally reacted and launched her second spirit skill, which was a barrier shield.

Deciding to fan the flames a bit, Bai Shanxin quickly activated her fourth spirit skill, Swift Dance. Along with a further improvement in maneuverability, she delivered a close rang attack, Air Strike, that broke through Feng Huizhong's fiery shield. It forced the flames back on her, and she screamed. Bai Shanxin quickly retreated out of her opponent's range and paused.

Fury blazed in Feng Huizhong's eyes. "Fire feeds off of air. H- how can this be?!"

Bai Shanxin raised her chin. "Strategy. Not just power."

The Golden Iron Triangle nodded, pleased, at her words.

Flender praised, "She understands."

Yu Xiaogang added, "A battle is much more than just brute strength. Shanxin is very lucky to have attack abilities. Not every Needle-Tailed Swift spirit master in Tang Sect does. She has surpassed her older brother in this regard."

"Xiaogang," Liu Erlong began. "Can she really hold out against the last three spirit masters on the School of Four Elements' side? Who knows who else they're hiding."

Ru Shenqi stepped forward. "Grandmaster, Vice Dean Liu, if Shanxin cannot hold out, then I suggest we send Yong out. Even if the next Chi Huo is a Spirit Ancestor, Yong just recently broke through and is now a forty fifth ranked Spirit Ancestor. Surely, with his spiritual attacks, he can control them?"

Ming Yong stepped forward and saluted. "Dean Flender, Grandmaster, Vice Dean Liu, please let me compete if Shanxin wears out."

The Golden Iron Triangle eyes the two kids. Finally, Yu Xiaogang sighed.

"We revealed Hongjun in the first battle of the Ranking Round. I suppose that it's already to reveal Yong again. This time, be careful against the Tian Shui students."

Ming Yong bowed his head. "Yong understands."

"Good. It's settled then."

Meanwhile, Bai Shanxin was still flying around the stage. She had switched tactics and now was relying on just her spirit itself. As she maneuvered around, Feng Huizhong grew more and more furious. She released her spirit skills one after the next. By the time she realized Bai Shanxin's intent, it was too late.

She was worn out, and her spirit power was depleted. She had no way of protecting herself from Bai Shanxin's well-timed Air Strike. She was blown off the stage.

"Victory for Shrek!"

Spectators cheered as Bai Shanxin returned to the stage ground. Feng Huizhong glared at her.

"You forget that air can feed fire too much," Bai Shanxin commented. "I used your own spirit against you and also tired you out. Learn from this battle. If we meet each other in the finals, perhaps you will show some improvement."

Feng Huizhong hmphed but didn't say anything.

The next Chi Huo student climbed up. He revealed three spirit rings.

At least he was one of the ones from the Preliminary Rounds, Bai Shanxin thought. But then, she remembered what his spirit was.

Lava Tower.

A control system spirit master!

He launched his third spirit skill, and four towers appeared. Bai Shanxin got trapped in their array. She flew higher and higher, but the towers just grew taller. When she tried to break out using her Air Strike, she wasn't able to even make it waver.

The other Chi Huo student released his second spirit skill, which created an immense pressure and gravity increase. Bai Shanxin dropped to the ground and could barely stand.

Suddenly, she heard a little voice whisper in her ear, "Gather your spirit power. Envision your Air Strike hitting one very concentrated spot in the array. Pour all of your spirit power into this attack. Yong will cover for you."

Determination set in bai Shanxin's eyes. Under Ru Shenqi's guidance, she closed her eyes and condensed her spirit power. When her eyes flashed open, she launched her fourth spirit skill.

She sent Air Strike right at a weak point in the array and broke the four towers. Soaring upwards, she quickly launched her first spirit skill, Swift Dive, and went into full-on descent mode. AS she neared the Chi Huo student, her nails lengthened, and she swiped at him. With a decisive move, Bai Shanxin knocked him backwards, and he tumbled off of the stage. She dropped to a knee, but smiled a triumphant smile.

Over with the Four Halls Academy Battle Team, her grand-uncle, Bai He, watched proudly. That is the power and speed of the Needle-Tailed Swift spirit.

Zhou Wuting announced, "Another win for Shrek Academy!"

After the first Tian Shui student climbed up onto the stage, Bai Shanxin gasped out, "I concede!"

"Victory for the School of Four Elements! Shrek Academy, do you have another team member lined up?"

Flender nodded. "We do."

Ru Shenqi tugged on Ming Yong's sleeve. He turned towards her. "What is it, Xiao Shen?"

"Don't reveal your second spirit skill until the last Tian Shui student. To fully control opponents like puppets is tyrannical. For a grand finale, we'll show them the strength of Shrek Academy!"

He smiled. "Xiao Shen, you're relentless."

Yu Xiaogang looked at them. "This time, Xiao Shen has a point. Save your second spirit skill. Not only is it the most powerful, it also consumes the most spirit power. Don't forget, you need to defeat both Tian Shui students."

"Yes, Grandmaster. Yong understands."

"Good. Now, go on."

Ming Yong climbed the stairs and stood on his side of the stage. Spectators leaned forward in their seats.

"He showed up in the group battle against Blue Sunshine Academy!"

"But we haven't seen his spirit, nor his spirit skills!"

"Could he be another Spirit Ancestor?"

"Shrek Academy is too domineering!"

Xue Beng and Ning Fengzhi shared a glance. Through a private communication line, they voiced their own thoughts.

"Your Majesty, this spirit master Shrek is revealing is very interesting."

"Oh? How so, Clan Leader Ning?"

"I won't reveal too much, for I want you to experience the awe yourself. But, what I will tell you is that while he may seem to be a Control System spirit master, he is not one."

"Which route did he take then?"

"Spirit System."

Xue Beng's eyes widened. "Shrek actually has a Spirit System spirit master?"

Ning Fengzhi replied in the affirmative, "Yes, and this one is tyrannical. He's truly worthy of being in the Shrek Seven Tyrants."

Now, the representative from Spirit Empire, Xie Yue, Supreme Pontiff Hu Liena's own brother, was not privy to their conversation. He couldn't believe Shrek was so powerful again.

Their strength is astounding, but... they're all Spirit Ancestors. Spirit Empire's team has been trained by Na Na2娜娜 - Hu Liena's nickname (from original Soul Land storyline) personally. They're all Spirit Kings. There's no way Shrek can defeat this new generation of geniuses.

The first Tian Shui student eyed Ming Yong warily. "Who are you?"

"Release your spirits!" Zhou Wuting cried.

The Tian Shui student stepped forward and released her Frost Staff tool spirit. Three spirit rings descended around her feet: one white, one yellow, one purple.

Ming Yong waved his hand, and his ebony Seven Stringed Dragon Qin appeared in front of him. He casually replied, "Ming Yong, forty fifth ranked Spirit Ancestor."

His two yellow and two purple spirit rings appeared and glowed brilliantly.

"AIYA!" people cried. "IT REALLY IS ANOTHER SPIRIT ANCESTOR!"

6