45. Shrek Academy’s Spirit King
237 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Feng Changzhi snarled. His companions looked just as unhappy. Ru Shenqi rolled her eyes.

"Older Cousin, if you really want to fight me, then make it to the finals. Until then, you have no qualification to fight me. Goodbye."

She brushed past him, but he caught her arm. Alarmed, she spun around.

"You-!"

Her eyes lighted with fury. A memory bubbled up from far down in her mind.

A lecherous young man stumbled, drunk, along the streets of Vast Sea City. He saw young Ru Shenqi and swayed over to her. Grabbing her arm, she yelped and dried to pull away. But he held on tight.

"Little girl, why do you pull away from me?"

His breath reeked of alcohol, and she recoiled. "Don't touch me! HELP! HELP! HELP!"

But who would help a poor, homeless, street rat?

She flicked out her wrist, and her golden wire tangled around his neck. Ru Shenqi pulled hard, digging the wire into his flesh, cutting and bleeding him. Finally, he released her, and she yanked even harder. Finally, the drunken young man fell to the ground. His wide eyes were frozen with surprise.

He never moved again.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" Ru Shenqi screeched at her cousin. She tried to pull away, but he held on tighter. Panic settled in her eyes.

"XINGYUN!"

Immediately, Gu Xingyun released his spirit. "Second spirit skill, Heavenly Lion Thunder! Fourth spirit skill, Raging Heavenly Lion!"

Before Yu Xiaogang could stop him, he already went rushing towards Feng Changzhi. Huo Wu moved to protect her son, but Feng Xiaotian held her back.

"Let him learn his lesson this time."

Gu Xingyun clawed at Feng Changzhi who leapt away. "Xiao Shen, are you alright?"

But she was shaking, her eyes wide. Shu Jiaxiang, Liao Suyin, and Bai Shanxin all ran over to her. "Xiao Shen?"

"He's dead, he's dead, he's dead," she repeated quietly to herself.

"Who's dead?" Liao Suyin asked softly.

With panicked eyes, Ru Shenqi's head whipped around. Liu Erlong walked over.

"Xiao Shen, no one here is dead. Xingyun only defended you."

But memories are terrifying things.

"I killed him!" she cried. "My wire... I killed him. He's dead. He has to be dead. Don't let him touch me."

Gu Xingyun gave Feng Changzhi another punch in the face before bounding over to her. "Xiao Shen, it's alright. We're here. No one's going to hurt you again."

She continued to shake. Worry crossed Flender's face.

"Aiya, Xiaogang, what's happening?"

Feng Xiaotian stepped forward and used his spirit power to calm her mind. Once she had finally relaxed, she slumped into Gu Xingyun's arms. He stroked her head gently.

Ming Yong summoned his spirit, terrifying Xue Nuqi. He began to play a gentle melody to help Ru Shenqi relax even more. When the song came to an end, she woke up.

"X- Xingyun?"

"I'm here, Xiao Shen."

"I- I want to go back now."

He nodded and escorted her back first. Huo Wu and Feng Xiaotian approached their son.

"I hope you've learned a good lesson today, son," Feng Xiaotian began. "These kids are one. If you hurt one of them, they others will retaliate and avenge their friend. Your team is not as unified as they are. That is another reason why you've lost today."

Feng Changzhi fumed. Little cousin, I will meet you in the finals. The School of Four Elements is not inferior to Shrek Academy!

Indeed, his personality was too much like his mother's.

<><><>

Back in Shrek's area, Ru Shenqi and Gu Xingyun sat down in the main tent. He leaned forward and gazed at her with worry.

"Are you alright?"

After a moment's contemplation, she shook her head. Patiently, he waited for her to formulate her words.

Finally, she asked, "Have you ever wondered how I was able to survive in Slaughter City at seven years old and pass the Hell Road at eight?"

"I was a young teenager back then, so I slightly understand, but yes. You were so young. I couldn't believe Slaughter City didn't faze you that much. I was horrified by it and what it forced me to become: a cold-blooded killer."

Ru Shenqi looked down, unable to meet his eye. She murmured, "I wasn't fazed because Slaughter City wasn't the first place I've killed."

His eyes widened. "Xiao Shen?"

She softly explained, "I was five. A young man was drunk and thought I was his dead sister come back to life. He tried to get me to follow him, but I refused. He grabbed me and wouldn't let go. To save myself, I used my golden wire and strangled him. I killed him."

Her golden eyes glanced up. "His death haunted me for many nights. I feared his ghost would take revenge on me or something. I already lived through the horror of killing in Vast Sea City. That's why Slaughter City didn't faze me. Killing to survive had already become a necessity for me."

He wrapped her up in his arms. "Everyone here would never let you get taken. You have the Dean, Vice Deans, Grandmaster, us Seven Tyrants, and the Shrek Seven Devils. Your aunt and uncle, too. None of us will let you be taken away from us. We will protect you."

She rested her head against his broad chest. "Xingyun, if someday, Spirit Empire comes after me like they did my mom and dad, I hope I don't drag you all down with me."

He pulled back and ruffled her hair. "Nonsense. If you're going to fight Spirit Empire, we'll willingly stand by your side and fight too. Spirit Empire has harmed Xing Luo Empire; my family bears grudges against them. I'm sure the Seven Devils will also readily fight. And plus, we Shrek Seven Tyrants are one. If one fights, we all fight."

Ru Shenqi smiled sadly. Dad said the same thing to mom. And he died with her. I can't let anyone get hurt because of me.

"Xiao Shen, take a step back."

She tilted her head, confused. But, she complied. After retreating far enough away, Gu Xingyun sat in the lotus position. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When his eyes opened, Ru Shenqi sensed a surge in his spirit power.

"Xingyun?"

He grinned. "Xiao Shen, let's go find Grandmaster."

"Why?"

"The Shrek Seven Tyrants now has a Spirit Emperor and a Spirit King."

Joy lit on her face. "That's great! Now, who will dare to doubt Shrek Academy's strength?"

He chuckled and held out his hand. She took it and ran out of the tent with him.

On their way, they nearly barreled right into Liao Suyin, Shu Jiaxiang, Bai Shanxin, Ming Yong, and Fang Youyou. "Woah, where are you two running off to?"

"Xingyun broke through!" Ru Shenqi cried. "We're going to tell Grandmaster!"

"Congratulations!"

"That's amazing!"

"Well done!"

All seven ran to go find the Golden Iron Triangle. They found their teachers walking and speaking with Ning Fengzhi and Xue Beng. The five adults gaped as seven children barged towards them.

All seven cried together, "GUESS WHO BROKE THROUGH TO A NEW RANK?!"

Flender sputtered, "S- say w- what?! Xingyun, have you really?"

Gu Xingyun nodded. "Dean Flender, Sunset Forest is closest, and I only need a decade millennium spirit beast. I only wish that Xiao Shen comes with me."

Liu Erlong turned to her lover. "Xiaogang, what do you think?"

"Truly marvelous," Ning Fengzhi breathed. He had seen Gu Xingyun's spirit ring configuration back when the Shrek Seven Tyrants battled against Sword Douluo. He couldn't believe that Shrek Academy now had a Spirit King... along with a Spirit Emperor.

Yu Xiaogang sighed. "With the confrontation with Feng Changzhi, perhaps sending Xiao Shen away for some time might be good. Flender, take Xingyun and Xiao Shen to Sunset Forest."

"Eh, Xiaogang, why me?"

"You lazy bird!" Liu Erlong cried. "Get going!"

"Aiya, Erlong, I'm getting to old for this. Give me a break!"

After Liu Erlong threatened him, Flender ran away with Gu Xingyun and Ru Shenqi racing after him.

<><><>

They left the palace grounds and headed towards the north end of Heaven Dou City where Sunset Forest resided. There, they entered and walked past the ten year and hundred year spirit beasts' territories. When they entered the decade millennium spirit beast territory, the trio slowed down.

They were a Spirit Douluo, a Spirit Emperor, and a Spirit King. Many spirit beasts on the younger range of decade millennium years avoided them.

The three wandered the forest until night fell. Then, they made camp. Ru Shenqi offered to take the first watch. Flender was already in his tent sleeping, while Gu Xingyun sat down next to her.

"Xiao Shen, what would suit me?"

"A strong attacking spirit beast. I'm not quite sure what we'll find here, but there will definitely be a spirit beast that suits you."

"I want a spirit skill that can attack multiple opponents at once. Han Niansui's Dark Quills can, Shanxin's Air Strike can, Jiaxiang and Suyin and Gong Xi's poisons can, your spiritual attacks can. But my skills so far are concentrated on attribute boosting and single attack or defense. I want a crowd attack skill."

"Then we'll look for a good spirit beast that can give you one."

He patted her head again. "Xiao Shen always looks out for us. Someday in the future, why don't you let us look out for you once?"

She shrugged. "I survived on my own. I can take care of myself."

"But you're not alone anymore. You have Shrek Academy. You have us Seven Tyrants. We are your family now. You have us and will always have us."

7