40. Lingering Unease
31 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rather than emerge into his little rock hut like he had expected to, Jake found himself floating within a black limbo again. He stared straight ahead, his eyes glued on a foggy figure well beyond his reach, and well beyond his strength. He could feel the pressure of the individual’s presence. He could feel the fear tickling at his skin. He could feel the ever-present chill sink through his skin and encase his bones in ice. His blood ran just as cold, and he felt a shiver of terror run down his spine. Yet, terror was not the correct emotion he felt.

Unlike the last time he had come to this place, Jake was aware of his surroundings. His mana pulsed, throbbed, and he felt the power within him begin to thaw and chip at that terrible cold. His hands curled into fists as he tested the suffocating grip on him. He parted his lips partially and forced himself to inhale. The frigid air filled his aching lungs. On his exhale, Jake’s vision was blurred by the dense fog of his breath. He could breathe. He could see. Most of all, he could just barely wiggle his fingers. He was far from strong enough to break the bindings holding him still but he was not so weak that he could not withstand the immense dread floating around him.

Whatever lay beyond the shadows knew it. It lingered there, watching as Jake tested his ability to resist. It remained silent as it determined what to do next and Jake stared back as he contemplated just how he could fight it. Until now that creature had been a figure of fear, a symbol of the end. Jake had heard its voice, felt the power within it, and he thought such an individual was on par with the Gods. Now that Jake had just a very little taste of what his magic could do, of power, he had learned that there was no such thing as ‘invincible’. Thus, there was no reason to fear that shadow. If it was going to kill him, it would have done so already. The fact that Jake was still alive, still struggling, was enough proof that whatever it was, it wasn’t keen on killing Jake just yet.

You are growing.

Inching. Creeping.

But it won’t be enough.

It is never enough.

Not you.

Not those before you.

Not your Gods, your Guardians, or your Titans.

They will not stop me.

You, will not stop me.

You may be an instrument of theirs,

But their hopes in what you will become are misplaced.

Something stirred within Jake and he felt an anger bubble within his core. Whatever this creature was, it certainly had some history with the Gods, with the Overworld. From its words, it likely wasn’t an ally in the slightest. If Jake had to guess- whatever it was had likely fought the Gods before. Or maybe was on par with them. Which also got him thinking. Jake read about the Myr, about the Angel War. One detail about that war hadn’t exactly made much sense to Jake. Why had the Myr initially gone to the Overworld? What was their reason for it? What was the initial spark which drew their eye to the lower realm? The books had said it was because of magic, but for the Seraphym to suddenly turn their eyes downwards, it had to be something quite important or very powerful. Whatever it was, to them it was worth giving up immortality and magical perfection.

Jake forced his mouth open with a pop and he let out a wheeze of air, a gasp as he struggled to speak. The individual in the distance hissed and rumbled as it shifted beyond the foggy grey clouds.

Too weak to speak.

Too weak to fight.

Too weak to be a threat.

No matter how much you struggle, the end will be the same.

You will always be pathetic.

Useless.

And soon, you will be broken.

My Envoy will see to that.

And you will be no more.

A waste.

A failure.

You will become the spark.

The spark of my return.

Jake continued to struggle and tried to speak, tried to retort in some way. Jake had made progress, he had become stronger. His ability to free himself from the restraints, even if it were slight, was proof of that. To cast off his improvement with petty words and haughty emotion riled him up. Jake wanted to slug the creature in the face for daring to pass off his effort. But, Jake never got a chance to speak his peace. The individual was done with him. It waved its hand, the clouds spiraling and twisting like murky water. A moment later, Jake felt the floor beneath him fall away and he fell with it. The figure faded into the distance as Jake dropped away into the black.

He awoke with a start. His mana swirled outwards, uncontrolled and releasing a powerful gust of wind into the small room. The fire rune was snuffed out, his clothes and gear were ripped from the hooks, and the lights in the corners of the room vanished with a blink. He was cast into cold darkness, the heat in the room vanishing as the wind calmed. The boy clenched his teeth, curled his hands into fists, and he glared straight ahead into the darkness.

“Fuck,” he seethed, his anger boiling beneath his skin as his fingers dug into his palms. Every time he met someone or something in a dark, dreary place, their level of power was always well-beyond his reach. While down within the Ravine he was getting stronger, faster, and more capable- in the grand scheme of the Overworld, he was still just a rat within the walls. He was insignificant, worthless, and just another soul on the planet. He didn’t have any interest in the God Realm. He didn’t plan to become a Hero or any kind of Savior. Such ideals were not his. Jake wished simply to become a strong mage, a powerful adventurer, and someone capable of enjoying a life full of exciting events.

But, he was beginning to believe such a life wasn’t on his plate. Gods, the Seraphym, the Angel War, The Maedra, the Black Knight, that creature in the black clouds, and the individual he had come across in a dream. The one who was trapped in some sandy prison. Events with individuals well beyond his understanding were slowly moving beyond his sight. The individual in the clouds had called him an instrument and had even alluded to the idea that Jake would be the one to stop him. But how could that be possible? Whatever they were, Jake wasn’t close to being capable of such a feat.

Yet, if there was one thing Jake was becoming sure of, it was that he couldn’t be so trusting of either side. The Gods had blessed him and had given him power and strength. However, details of the Angel War seemed inconsistent and missing. The Myr had come to the Overworld for some reason but the books failed to say anything more than ‘they wanted stronger magic’, and then slapped them with the label of ‘evil’. It seemed mighty convenient.

There was always the chance that they were hiding something from him. Which even led him to question other things- Fena had mentioned the potential of a Guardian being dispatched to the Ravine. That meant Guardians were ‘assigned’ to locations, not made within them. Chul had said he was trapped within the Ravine after being sent there by Lady Rastua, but what if that wasn’t the case? Lady Rastua hadn’t explained quite why he had been bound to the Ravine either. What if Chul was assigned not to the Ravine, but to protect the God’s Summoning Circle? It certainly was a task of his, but Jake found it all too convenient for Chul to stumble into such a place and just become a powerful being within it.

However, that didn’t mean the individual in the clouds was any more of an ally or friendly. It had labeled Jake as an enemy. It even threatened Jake with death. Yet, what bothered Jake the most was how it labeled him as a tool. It had mentioned the Gods, the Guardians, and even the Titans. All three pieces. Jake knew the Titans were aligned with the Gods, Lady Ferynith specifically, but he had not believed the Guardians were entirely the same. On top of that, Jake thought the Titans were strictly protectors of the Library. Was that not true either? Or maybe was that just one of their duties?

“...”

Jake let out a sigh, a long and heavy release as he waved his hand into the air. He sprinkled mana from his fingers, reaching out to relight the corners and spark the fire rune to bring heat back into the room. He unfolded his legs and slowly worked out the stiffness in his knees as he eased himself up onto his feet.

For now, Jake needed to focus on himself, the Ravine, and the Maedra. Anything beyond that would be a waste of time and brain power. He couldn’t do anything about the individual in the fog nor could he dare question the individuals who had provided him with his blessing. They had given it to him and he had no doubt they could just as easily snatch it away from him. Plus, until now, the Gods had done nothing but support him. Turning on them over such fickle thoughts would be pathetic of him. His age and lack of life experience were showing in that regard.

Jake made his way over to his gear and neatly reorganized it, gathering it together and placing everything back on its rightful hooks. Then, he turned to the marked wall and placed his hand against it. The rock split and slowly twisted open, a doorway forming from the solid stone. Jake stepped outside to check the mana crystals and saw it was still technically nighttime. They were dim, a few even completely dark. The village was also quiet and he couldn’t hear any noise radiating from it. When he used Sensory magic to check, he saw that most people were asleep still. Thus, he decided to do the same.

He returned to his small room and sealed off the wall again. With no cushion, Jake decided instead to use mana to soften the hard stone into a sort of mushy clay. It wasn’t perfect, but it was certainly softer than a solid brick to lay on. He didn’t have a pillow either. Tomorrow, he would have to go on a mission and use the money to pay for some comfort goods. He blinked out the lights, raised the temperature of the fire rune, and then lay down on top of his stone bed. As expected, it was rough. He would be sore in the morning.


 

He slept light. When he eventually opened his eyes again, it almost felt like he hadn’t slept at all. His muscles were tense and his eyes burned as he stared over towards the blazing fire rune. His dreams had been of distant sands, clear skies, and quiet days. He dreamed that he had returned to his village. He saw Chul, laughed over meaningless stories, and ate with Yae. He even spoke to Elana again. He had felt the heat of the sand beneath his feet as he trained to become a Guard and he quenched his thirst with the clean, clear water of the Marker. Truly, a pleasant life. One without difficulty beyond the struggles of the sun and his daily training with the sword.

Except, even in his dreams he had an inkling feeling of being out of place. He knew such a life was a lie, an impossible desire. The sun was too bright. The air was too quiet. The peace was too real. It had made him feel uneasy, restless. He had found it to be unnerving and even in his dreams, Jake understood that he could never return to such a life. A life of boring, repeating days. A life full of routine.

Jake brought light to the room and eased himself off the stone bed. His muscles were tense so he quickly created a washroom in a corner of the room, cordoning off a decent space that he could utilize. He created a stone tub, smoothed the inside of the bowl, and then filled it with cool water. He used fire magic to heat the water and then stripped out of his clothes. He sank into the warm liquid, his muscles groaning as they began to relax. He let out a long, tired sigh, and closed his eyes.

After a long soaking, Jake dried himself off and dressed for the day. He then cut off the lights and snuffed out the fire rune. He created his door from the stone so he could leave, then sealed the squared hut behind him. He considered dismantling the thing but he doubted anyone would come to disturb it. With no entrance and nothing of value within it, even the capable would likely leave it alone. As he left the area, Jake cleared out the alert spell network. He cut little marks into the stone to remind himself where he had placed the sigils so he could replicate them later.

Without the noise of Yae, Tul, and Xul, Jake’s morning was fairly quiet and uneventful. His walk through the village was peaceful and as he entered the Scout Compound, he found himself undisturbed by any of the others around him. A few noticed his lonesomeness, as they looked at him strangely, but none approached or tried to talk to him. Jake didn’t bother trying to interact with any of them either. He walked to the cafeteria and kept to his own business.

Breakfast was light and didn’t take twenty minutes like usual. Clearing his plate without having to hold a conversation took a fraction of the normal time and he was up and moving again before he could even taste his food. The boy returned his tray and dishes to the cleaning area before briskly leaving. As he exited the cafeteria, a cluster of four people strolled passed him. Two girls and two boys. They were deep in their own world, laughing and joking. Their smiles and joyful faces beamed as they spoke about missions they had recently gone on. The warmth of the conversation made Jake frown and he felt his stomach twist just a bit.

Rather than wait for the potential chance of bumping into one of his friends, Jake strode quickly across the courtyard and into the main building of the Scout Association. As he walked towards the back hallway, he stole a peak at the mission boards. The number of tickets and requests placed up were much higher than the prior days and the number of red labels also seemed a bit higher. He couldn’t tell outright if that was the case or not, as he hadn’t counted for a specific number, but it certainly looked that way. The atmosphere among the lower-ranked scouts was tense as well. Maybe he wasn’t imagining it.

Jake utilized wind magic to boost himself to the second level, keeping the power low and controlled to not disturb the clerks and their paperwork. When he landed, his boots thumped roughly against the rock platform.

“Good morning, Mr. Not a Healer.” Two people were waiting for him, or just conveniently standing there. Wicks and Mora.

“I thought I said no magic?” Mora raised her eyebrow as she stared at him. Jake clenched his teeth for a moment, but he wasn’t about to argue over the jump. Not again.

“Something wrong?” He asked, curious as to why they had come out to see him rather than wait for him in the squad room.

“I was curious,” Wyicks spoke up and two of his hands found his waist. “How is a kid like you so strong with magic? I’ve never seen such a thing.” Wyick’s yellow eyes squinted as he stared down at the boy. Jake felt the weight of the question. He wasn’t particularly sure how to combat it.

“Why does it matter?” Jake didn’t plan to release information about his Blessing to a random person. His magic may have been abnormal but Jake didn’t think it warranted confrontational suspicion.

“You saved the lot of us but it still doesn’t sit right with me to see someone so young be so strong. Consider it Demon Instinct,” Wyicks stepped forward as he spoke and then squatted down in front of Jake. His bright yellow eyes glared at the boy, boring into Jake’s face. “You even smell different. You smell like the Beasts.” Wyicks took in a long, slow, purposeful breath. On his exhale, he blew on Jake’s face. The boy’s hands curled into fists and he stared back at Wyicks.

He said nothing as the two stared at one another in silence. The staring contest almost seemed like it wouldn’t end until Mora finally stepped forward and kicked Wyicks in the side of his leg. Wyicks rumbled and glared up at her.

“Leave him alone, Wyicks,” she huffed. “He’s a strong mage and he saved your ass. You should be thankful instead of questioning him.” 

“Oh, I am very thankful for this little anomaly!” Wyicks turned back to Jake and leaned in even closer. “But I’ve lived long enough to know when something just isn’t right…” he hissed, his breath once more coiling over Jake’s face. Jake’s jaw squeezed, his teeth grinding as he held back his frustration and his tongue. The temptation to bash his head into Wyicks’s face was there but such an action would lead to a brawl. One that would get them both in trouble.

Seeing that Jake wasn’t going to budge, Wyicks gave up on his interrogation and finally pulled away. He scoffed and stood up.

“My brother might have been willing to teach you and put up with your stench but I’m not so nice. I’m watching you, rat.” Wyicks seethed as he turned away, his tail snapping in front of Jake’s face. Mora stayed behind, watching the demon leave to ensure he didn’t turn around and do something stupid.

“Sorry about him. He’s been through a lot,” Mora sighed. Jake shook his head.

“He said brother. Did he mean Mur?” Jake asked. So far, Jake had come across only a handful of non-Oryks inhabitants of the village. Aside from Wyicks, Mur was the only other demon within the cavern.

“Yes. The two of them came here a long time ago. They’ve lived and fought here ever since. Why they won’t say but the Elders and the people are thankful for it.” Mora finally started to walk towards the distant team room, and Jake followed just behind her.

When they entered, Jake was greeted by what he thought was the more normal sight. Nuro sitting at his desk, Tau sleeping in the back, Fien and Pari practicing, and Lao tinkering. Wyicks looked like he was preparing to check his gear, as he was digging around in his equipment locker.

“Ah, Jake! Good morning!” Nuro’s voice was far more cheerful and high-pitched than the last time Jake saw him. His wide smile and highly expressive face was void of tension and stress.

“Good morning. Do we have any tasks for the day?” Jake stepped inside the door and stopped just at the edge of the threshold. Mora wandered over to the couch and sat down into its cushions, her body sinking into them as she made herself comfortable. Her lips parted into a large yawn.

“Nope! Feel free to rest and relax. The Council has given participants of the Operation some time for recovery.” Perfect.

“Okay, then I’m leaving.” Jake turned around and stepped towards the door.

“Whoa there!” Nuro called out, stopping him. Jake sighed and looked over his shoulder. “Where are you going? I said to rest.”

“I’ve rested enough, and I need money,” Jake said. Money for better gear. Money for bedding. Money to pay Daris.

“For what? Your gear looks fine.” Nuro eyed him oddly, checking the boy over for whatever reason he might need more money.

“I have other things I need to buy and I could use the experience. If I have some free time, I’d rather spend it clearing the tunnels.”

“Ah, well then that’s fine. Be careful out there!” Nuro leaned back into his chair and kicked his feet back up onto the desk. He plucked a book off the side of the wooden top and spread the covers to a previously marked page. “I don’t want my precious Healer coming back injured.”

After he spoke, Wyicks sucked his teeth. Nuro glanced over but Wyicks didn’t look up from his gear.

“Thanks. I’ll be back.” Jake closed the door behind him and returned to the main area. This time, Mora didn’t chase after him.

He stepped up to the boards again and evaluated the requests available for the day. There were a large number of Beast sightings within the tunnels and there were a few pages alerting the Scouts to a change in some of the tunnel designations. Those with confirmed sightings were recategorized as Red. Those with traces of their presence were raised to Blue. Two tunnels had been reduced to White after contact with another Village’s warriors was made, and one tunnel was lowered from Blue to Green.

As if connected to the increase in Red Tunnels, the number of requests for Scouts to seek out and eliminate the Beasts had similarly increased. Those tickets, however, were untouched. As were a number of the Blue-labeled requests. Jake watched from behind the crowd as he scanned the board and he observed a number of Scout leaders discuss their work. Over and over, Jake overhead the Scouts adjusting their initial choices to avoid the possibility of running into the Beasts. The failed operation had influenced morale it seemed and the Scouts sounded as though they had lost faith in their Warrior counterparts. Their shift in mindset was fair but Jake didn’t blame the Warriors for the Operation’s failure. He blamed the Maedra and he blamed the Elders for underestimating the threat. 

Jake plucked a ticket from the top, a Red Request, and he made his way over to a clerk counter. On the other side, an Oryx with a thin framed set of glasses was waiting. She greeted him with a smile.

“Good morning, have you decided on a request?” She asked, adjusting her posture a bit as Jake hopped onto the chair. He slid the request and his identification card beneath the glass. She noticed the red mark on the request, as well as the red on his card.

“I am,” he said flatly. Her expression stiffened a bit as she read over the request.

“Um, Sir. This is a direct…” she started.

“I know. Please notify the Warrior teams.” Jake smiled softly at her, trying to reassure her a bit. He knew exactly what he was asking for.

“Understood. Runner!” The woman shouted as she quickly processed the paperwork. The runner appeared at her side, rushing along the rows of the clerks. On his way, he grabbed two other requests that needed to be processed. The clerk finished quickly, passing it along and the runner took off towards the rear section.

“Do you have all of the equipment you need? Will you need additional support?” The clerk asked.

“I have everything, and no thank you. Just the two warrior teams.”

“Are you sure? This mission is…” She glanced towards the mission request paperwork again and frowned. She seemed hesitant, which was understandable after the prior day’s news.

“I’ll be fine. The Warriors will be, too.” Jake gave her another smile just as the runner returned.

“Request approved, but on the condition that a Runner is attached in case of failure. That will be me. Sir, I’ll be going to notify the warrior teams now and we will meet you by Tunnel 12.” The Runner passed a sheet of paper to the clerk and then gave Jake what looked to be a salute. Without giving Jake any time to process the additional information, he darted off. Jake blinked as he watched the runner wrap around the far end of the clerk desks and then sprint out towards the gate of the compound.

“Is the runner attachment a new policy?” Jake asked. He didn’t recall being told of that rule when he originally signed up. Nor did a runner go with him and Mora on his first mission.

“It is. Due to the result of yesterday’s operation, the Leadership has made it a requirement for a Runner to go with teams where contact with the Beasts is guaranteed.” Her exclamation only made Jake feel even less enthused with the Elders. They had made a mistake and got out only by luck. Now, they were taking precautionary measures just to save themselves from additional embarrassment.

Then again, Jake felt it was a smart move and partially agreed with the change. The Elders had experienced the terrors of the Maedra up close. They had witnessed the dangers in the tunnels firsthand and were reacting as best as they could to continue to ensure the protection of the village. The runner was their new safety net.

The boy sighed and waited until the clerk returned to him his identification card, as well as his green card for passage. He tucked both away into his pack and hopped out of the seat.

“Uh, Sir.” The clerk’s voice made Jake pause. He looked back to see her eye full of concern. “Please be careful.” The sincerity in her voice made his stomach tense up. He stared at her, his jaw tensing up for a moment.

“I will, thanks.” He turned away and hurried out of the building, his stride widening as he stepped out into the compound. As he emerged, he heard familiar voices tickle his ears. He looked to his right and saw Tul, Xul, and Yae walking towards the cafeteria. Tul and Xul were their usual selves. They balked and argued but laughed and joked. Yae, on the other hand, looked a bit more distressed. Jake was tempted to say hello and check in on her, but he restrained himself. He needed to remain focused.

Tunnel 12 was on the same side of the village that the Operation had taken place on. The tunnel they had used for that was in sight as he approached the entrance of Tunnel 12. The path to the Operation tunnel was separate but Jake could just as easily jump across the gap using his magic to reach it. He didn’t plan to get stuck up on it so he quickly turned his attention to his gear.

He tied his boots again, adjusted his cloak, and tightened the straps for his dagger belt. For this mission, his pack was empty aside from the green permit and his identification card, but he tightened the straps on it anyway to make sure it was comfortable on his back. Then, he pulled out his dagger. He checked the enchantments, ensured the blade wasn’t chipped or rusted, and then checked its sharpness.

When he was satisfied, he sat down near the entrance and started to cultivate. The Warrior teams would likely take their time so he would take advantage of that. He set down an alert rune in front of him and modified its properties to trigger when something entered the area around him before he sought out his mana.

His mind went blank. His skin tingled from the chill of the Ravine and his breathing steadied. The power within him swirled and jostled as he refined its strength. Slowly, he could tell he was getting stronger. The growth of his mana capacity was exceeding his expectations. As he continued to empower his second flow of life, Jake created an additional mana tail to minimize the natural loss of mana. He wrapped it around his waist with the others, keeping them all tight to his body to ensure proper control.

After a while, the alert spell triggered. Jake felt a sensation run down his spine and his consciousness rattled slightly. When he opened his eyes, he spotted sixteen Warriors and the runner striding up the stone path to the tunnel. Behind Jake, three guards emerged from the entrance. Jake waited until the teams were closer before he stood up. The Oryks all looked down at him and then looked at each other with mixed expressions. They looked at him the same way the other two teams had on his first go-around.

“Are you our Scout?” One of the leaders asked. Jake nodded.

“I am. I’m Jake Furrow from Pharos Squad. I will be leading the expedition,” Jake said confidently. The Warrior team leaders stepped forward after ordering their members to make their final preparations.

“Just you?” One of the Leaders asked.

“Yes. Your names?” Jake followed his question with one of his own. The other two team leaders had made sure to introduce themselves, these two seemed a bit reluctant.

“I am Ryn. Ruby Squad leader.”

“Tux, Sin Squad leader.”

“This mission is a direct contact mission. And there’s only one scout?” Ryn’s eyebrows raised as he crossed his arms on his chest. “All you’ve got is a knife.”

“We’ll be fine. What is your preferred defense formation?” Jake brushed off their concern, which made the two Warriors both blink. Tux sighed and turned to look at his men.

“We prefer the Spearhead formation. One up front, the sides slanted, everyone else behind.” Tux spoke first as he watched his team work. They were finishing up it seemed.

“We prefer the wall,” Ryn said flatly. Jake nodded, and then he began to think.

Based on the needs of the team and his own need as a mage, the team would require a defensive wall to be formed. With sixteen Warriors, the Spearhead formation would be inefficient. However, the Wall Method would block Jake’s field of view for the most part. If the Maedra got too close, he would lose the ability to hit them, too. It seemed like he would need to create an elevated platform again.

“Are your teams comfortable with the Box?” Jake asked. The Leaders looked at one another. Ryn nodded, but Tux shrugged. Jake looked at him.

“We generally only practice the Spearhead. The other formations don’t work well with my bigger fighters.”

“Then we’ll put them up front and on the corners to act as anchors. Will that work?” Jake originally wanted the larger warriors to make the front side of the box, but Tux was right to second-guess the tactic. The big bodies up front would stretch the line, and the smaller individuals wouldn’t be able to help. However, Tux shook his head. He didn’t seem confident in that idea.

“Can we put them at the back? They should be able to reach over top, yea?” Ryn suggested. Tux thought over it for a second, then agreed.

“Yea, that would work. We’ll form a box, my larger warriors will stand at the rear. If things go south, we can rotate behind them.”

“Perfect.” Since he wouldn’t be involved in it, Jake would trust their judgment and left the final vanguard strategy to them. “Are your teams ready?” He peeked beyond the two Leaders towards the others and saw most of them looking his way.

“Seems so. Whenever you’re ready, Scouty boy.” Ryn plucked his helmet out from beneath his arm and then stuffed it over his head. It rattled and clanged, the front grill jostling a bit before Ryn strapped it down.

“Let’s go.” Jake pulled his permit out of his pack and strode up to the guards. They checked his permit, as well as those of everyone else attached to the mission. Once they were cleared, Jake led the way out into the tunnel. The Warriors rattled and their feet echoed as they lumbered along. Jake walked in silence, his boots barely touching the ground with each step as he moved as quietly as possible.

“As a head’s up, I don’t have any flares,” Jake spoke up about his lack of signal flare and the Warriors grumbled behind him. “However, I know fire magic. I’ll use that as a signal instead. When you see the flame, move forward. I’ll illuminate the tunnel and we’ll engage the Beasts.”

“Aren’t you a Fighter? You know magic?” One of the warriors spat. Jake chuckled.

“Plenty of it.” He let himself get a little cocky but he wouldn’t let the confidence fill his head. His magic was nothing compared to other beings he’d come across.

The Warriors at his back gossiped and rumbled to each other as they moved away from the village. Once they reached the first intersection of the outer tunnels, their faint whispers faded. Jake checked the numbers over the tunnels and verified the one they were assigned. It was well lit with mana crystals embedded in the roof so there was no need for him to create a light. Jake waited and checked the teams, allowing them to adjust their gear one final time.

“We’re ready,” Tux said aloud. Jake looked around the mass of muscle and spotted the runner.

“I’m ready, too. If anything goes wrong and you cannot hold the Beasts, please shout so. I will run back to notify the guards.”

“If everyone is ready, then let’s go.” Jake turned to the tunnel and stepped off. The sound of the Warriors walking behind him vanished as he advanced. Once he was the required distance along, he used his Sensory magic to see if the Warriors had followed him in. They had, and they also organized themselves into the necessary formation for a rapid response. Jake let out a long breath. He was nervous. His hands were shaking a little and he felt his stomach tighten. Nervous and a little scared it seemed.

Even so, he trusted the Warriors at his back. Just like in the Operation and his prior mission, the Warriors had done their duties even in the face of dangerous odds. As their mage, their support, Jake’s duty was to ensure they stayed alive. From what Jake had learned so far from his mistakes, it was not the job of the mage to stand in the limelight. It was the Mage’s job to protect the Fighter’s back, to ensure they could fight with all of their might without worry. Up until now, Jake knew magic, but he was no mage. He would have to earn that title.

“One fight at a time,” he muttered. He took in another long inhale through his nose and then released a long and slow exhale out of his mouth. His heart was racing. His senses were on high alert. A good thing, all things considered. Being extra attentive would help him pick out any odd details. But, he did his best to remain relaxed, calm and focused.

All he had to do was his job. Do that, and he would be fine.

3