42. Explosive Results
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Progression into the depths of the tunnel was steady. Jake pushed into the darkness and utilized his Sensory magic to sniff out the Maedra. After clearing them out, the Warriors would push forward and secure the area. They would then set up camp and the runner would fetch the Workers and the other Warrior party. Once the Worker team was finished with the previous area, the support group would push up to the new camp. Then, Jake would scout ahead and the cycle would repeat. Jake's efficiency and the security brought by his magic meant that the teams were finding themselves advancing at an almost dangerous pace. So much so that Jake and his Warriors were resting for far longer than originally planned at each stop.

While Jake was fine to continue, he began to notice fatigue in the others. Jake managed to keep the wear on himself to a minimum through the use of Light magic. Whenever they rested, his depleted mana levels were quickly replenished. He could fight and walk with little issue over such a long period. The gear he carried was also light, so he was hardly affected by the drag of it. The Warriors, on the other hand, weren't as lucky. With each stop, they were sitting down in heavier heaps. They were drinking more water and taking longer to rest between movements. The sentry shifts were being cut down in time, and they were burning through their food supply rather quickly.

After a certain point, Jake realized that further advancement would be dangerous. However, stopping now was also just as problematic. They were well beyond the safety of the village with little protection between the start of the tunnel and their current location. While Jake doubted Maedra would appear behind them after such a short time, there were no "safe zones" to speak of. Thus, if Jake and his teams left, there was no telling whether the Maedra would reappear in the tunnel. To keep it clear and safe, Warrior checkpoints would need to be established and Workers would have to place down 'Collector' crystals. Such crystals worked to absorb the excess mana in the air, lowering the chance of Maedra appearing within previously cleared tunnels.

Slow progress in tunnels allowed the Workers to place the crystals over time, under guard, and it allowed the tunnel to be thoroughly harvested of resources. Jake's pace had placed a significant burden on the Worker team. They had cut down on their efficiency in exchange for speed and many of their usual tasks were abandoned in exchange for the basic requirements; lights, security, and collecting crystals. The Worker teams had also only brought two Collector crystals. Both had already been used. Thus, further progress was risky both in terms of a return trip to the village and for the later expeditions into the tunnel.

After clearing them out, the possibility of the Maedra returning to the tunnel was low. The lighting overhead would also expose them to the members of the next expedition, but their presence would still be a problem. Scouts would follow the lights almost blindly, fully expecting the tunnel to be cleared and Collector crystals to be placed. When, in actuality, they would be traversing a still dangerous portion of the tunnel.

Thus, Jake, Tux, and Ryn, made the collective decision to halt the expedition entirely. Once the Worker team and their escort warriors reached the scout team, the group set up a large camp within the tunnel and Jake cleared the area ahead far enough to be considered 'safe'. Then, Workers placed crystals in the ceiling ahead of the campsite, illuminating two-hundred meters into the dark. No sentries were placed so far ahead but Jake kept his Sensory magic up as a precaution. They placed the tunnel's safety sign at the front of the camp and settled in.

As they began their well-earned rest, a mixture of the more tired Warriors and several of Captain Lin's team formed a small force and left for the village. With them, a number of Workers and the Runner left as well. Leaving behind only a fraction of individuals. A small contingent to hold the campsite overnight. Though, none of those staying behind were upset or concerned. Jake's magic had proven effective thus far and unless a surprise Maudrake came charging at them, there was little doubt they would face any form of life-threatening trouble while they waited. However, that didn't mean reinforcements could take forever. The food left behind wasn't enough to sustain them for long and the sentries would inevitably tire eventually as well.

After the safe zone was established and those returning to the village departed, half of the Warriors left behind were instructed to rest. They stripped off their armor to ease their burdens and Jake planted several fire runes around the area to warm the tunnel. He created large bins that he filled with water and created a bathing area the men could wipe themselves down in. However, there was no cooking or sleeping space set up. The scent of food would attract unwanted attention and sleeping would have to be done in shifts around the fire pits.

Since he was the most rested and capable among those left behind, Jake decided to take up Sentry duty first on the danger side of the camp. Tux and Ryn were initially against it, but Jake's magic allowed him to perform the task with less impact on his own body. This would also allow the group as a whole to rest at the start. Jake could use the time alone to refine his magic and cultivate. Thus far, Jake had increased the strength of his Wind Magic, had learned a few spells, and utilized two of them in combat. Now it was time to do the same for his Fire magic.

Before he went to the Library, Jake set up a small array of Alert runes. He spread them across the tunnel and generated four at the far end of the mana crystal lights, forming a net between them. Then, Jake set up a set of explosive runes and connected them to the Alert runes. A pleasant trap for the curious. He gave it all a once over before sitting down and taking his relaxed meditative posture. His hands cupped his knees and the boy took in a long, deep breath. On his exhale, he sought the Library's sigil.

When he emerged within the white tower, Jake took an extra moment at its entrance to deflate. He sat on the sigil, his eyes staring straight ahead through the archway into the open atrium. It was such a stark difference. The inviting atmosphere of the library compared to the claustrophobic tunnels. Every time he came here, it was like being released from a chokehold. The boy eased up to his feet and walked into the open space, his eyes drifting upward as he stared towards the far-off skylight. Something felt odd about the Library today, but he couldn't quite tell what it was. When he used his Sensory magic, he found himself entirely alone.

Where was Yir? Where were the other Magicians? There weren't any other fairies in sight either.

Jake's jaw tensed, and he expanded his Sensory magic, filling the lower half of the Library. When nothing came to the front of his mind, Jake quickly launched himself up, the wind at his feet sending him soaring towards the distant glass. The floors whiffed by, the air pushing his hair back, and the light of the outside dimension filled his eyes as he approached the top floor. As he neared it and his Sensory magic finally began to reach it. Jake spotted Yir's mana profile. The small, well-contained outline of the Fae popped up, and she wasn't alone. A large figure was with her, and its mana profile seemed far more... sinister.

As Jake approached, they must have noticed. Yir's profile shifted and the other individual also adjusted. They were waiting for him. Jake obliged and pushed himself over the railing of the last floor. He grabbed the clear white marble railing and cut his magic as he hopped over it. His boots tapped onto the floor as he landed and Jake withdrew the mana from his eyes.

His second trip to the top floor revealed a far different view. There were no barriers this time and the furnishings had all changed. There was no table with chairs and there were no bookshelves. The space was scarce of practically anything aside from a wide-open platform with a massive sigil in the center of it. Four other smaller circular sigils were positioned equally around the outside of the larger one. Their lines and runes were each different. A large map was sprawled over the far wall. A map of the Overworld, if Jake had to guess.

"Hello, Jake," Yir spoke flatly. The harshness of her tone was far different from the usual. As if she wanted him to leave but chose to not outright say it.

"Hello, Yir," Jake responded. Though, while he had spoken to Yir, his eyes were on the other figure. A tall woman with fiery red hair, a blazing red cloak with edges that looked singed from flame. Her nails were long, sharp, and a swirl of orange and yellow. Her eyes were red, her lipstick was red. Everything about her was red. Even the surrounding air seemed like it was on fire.

"Who's that?" Jake asked. Yir blinked and the woman scoffed.

"And who are you to ask that, brat?" The woman's eyes narrowed. Jake suddenly felt the hairs on his neck straighten as his skin rippled with the instinctive desire to run. He curled mana into his hands and tensed his jaw. "Oh, there will be none of that."

With the wave of her hand, Jake's mana dispersed. All tension on his mana flow was lost, and Jake felt his stomach flip. He collapsed to a knee, gagging as he felt light-headed. The boy's eyes widened, and he tried to correct the emptiness he felt. Whatever she had done had practically erased his magic.

"What did you do?" Without magic, he instinctively reached for his dagger. Except, it wasn't there. Outside possessions aside from clothes didn't follow the Mage into the Library. The woman noticed the movement of his hands and her burning lips curled upward.

"When a mutt keeps barking, you put a muzzle on it," the woman spat. She stepped over to the boy, her sharp heels clicking as she strode up into his face. Jake recovered to his feet and steadied himself. The boy clenched his hands into fists but restrained himself from swinging, knowing full well the consequences of such a choice. If she was able to neuter his magic like that, then he definitely wouldn't be able to beat her in a fistfight. She was also a full head taller than him and her frame wasn't quite petite.

The woman grabbed onto his face, her fingers squishing his cheeks as she forced him to look up at her. At such a close distance, Jake could see her eyes didn't match her body. They weren't human. He could see the mana radiating within them, and the black-slitted pupils pulsed with power as she looked him over.

"You might smell like my kind but there is very little to you other than that," the woman huffed. She jerked his head left and right, and then her hand opened, releasing him. "Show them to me." She ordered.

"Show you what?" Jake retorted.

"Your markings, boy. Show me your markings. You were blessed, weren't you?"

"Madam-" Yir opened her mouth but the woman's hand closed to a fist. Jake felt his vision shake and Yir's voice went silent.

Not wanting to test her, Jake sighed and began to strip. He released the snap of his cloak and then tugged his shirt over his head. His small, somewhat toned frame became exposed to the faint chill of the Library. And with his skin, the two markings of the Goddesses came into view. The Mark of the Arachkin on his shoulder, and the Mark of the Dragonkin on his chest. The woman in front of him placed a finger on his cheek and forced him to look to his left. The pressure eventually caused him to turn, exposing his shoulder to the woman.

"Yir," she spat.

"Yes, Madam," Yir answered.

"I thought this boy was Blessed by Ferynith? What is this?" She asked. The finger on Jake's cheek moved, and he felt a nail begin to drag over the skin on his shoulder. The feeling of the sharp edge of her nail just barely touching his skin sent a shiver down his spine. Jake's skin raised into bumps as he quivered.

"The boy met with another Guardian and Lady Rastua paired them together. That marking is their contract."

"The boy has a contract with a Guardian?" The woman hissed. Jake felt something heat up in his shoulder. He looked over to see the woman applying mana to her fingertip. Just before Jake could say anything, though, the mark on his shoulder shimmered. The eyes of the Arachkin lit up a bright red and the woman's hand was repelled with a powerful shock. She snarled and shook her hand, healing the damage.

"Is that what she told you? That bitch," she seethed.

"Y-Yes, Madam. Judging by where he said he met the Guardian, I assume it was the Arachkin."

"Obviously. Why else would the mark be one of those bugs?"

"Hey-!" Jake's mouth opened, but the woman silenced him with a harsh glare. He felt his lungs squeeze and the boy's mouth clammed shut. Her nail dug into the front side of his shoulder, and she forced him to turn to face her once more. This time, she looked down at the mark on his chest.

"And this mark is my sister's?" She asked.

"Yes, Madam. Lady Ferynith ble-" As Yir tried to speak, the woman waved her hand again, cutting the Fae off.

The woman stared down at the mark for quite a while, her jaw moving slowly side to side. She placed a nail against the mark and traced it. When her nail reached the head of the dragon, she applied just a bit of magic to it. Once more, the eyes of the Dragon lit up. There was no spark this time, as the woman pulled her finger away before she could be damaged.

"It seems both of them are quite invested in you, boy," the woman rumbled. She placed a finger on his chin, lifting his eyes to meet hers. She looked at him-no, she looked down on him. From her higher position of power, her eyes were full of pity as she peered into his own. Her right hand moved in a slow circle and Jake could feel his magic return. He didn't bother with making a spell. Doing so would have been futile.

After a few more seconds of her looking at him, the woman's nail dragged off his chin. She turned around with a huff before striding over to Yir. Her heels clicked into the floor as she planted her hands firmly at her waist. She scowled down at Yir, her expression hardening.

"And what excuse did my sister give you, again?" She asked. Yir let out a heavy sigh.

"The Titans noticed an anomaly in the north by the Cradle. She sent two of them to find out what the problem was and is awaiting their return. They are also holding a council soon to choose a new Guardian to the Ravine."

"Tell them what will be unnecessary," the woman turned around and her powerful legs carried her across the platform to the sigil array. She stepped onto one of the smaller ones on the side.

"Madam?" Yir blinked as she watched.

"The Ravine won't need a new Guardian," She called out. Jake stiffened as he felt her eyes on him. Then, the floor beneath her lit up. The red light of her mana forced it into operation and in a flash, she was gone. Jake felt the weight on his shoulders lift and the constriction of his lungs was released.

Jake gasped and grabbed at his chest. He could feel the thumping of his heart as he struggled to steady his breathing.

"Sorry about that, Jake. Terrible timing on your part." Yir fluttered over to him, and she placed a hand on his cheek. She cast a bit of healing magic to help him recover. Jake appreciated that.

"Who was that?" From what she had said, that woman was related to Ferynith. Was she a dragon, too?

"I cannot tell you, but don't worry. You'll come to know her in time." Yir gave him a smile as she helped him with his clothes. Jake found that to be an odd choice of wording.

"What does that mean, Yir?" He rumbled, pulling his shirt over his head. "I'm getting tired of always being in the dark." Literally. The underground tunnels were always dark and it was tiring having to deal with that. He didn't want to deal with it mentally, too.

But, Yir shook her head. The fairy put some distance between them and she folded her hands neatly in front of her.

"I'm sorry, Jake, but I have been instructed to keep the details to a minimum."

"Of course you have," Jake sucked his teeth and shook his head. It seemed his concern about the Gods keeping stuff from him wasn't as far off as he originally thought. His random musings seemed to be more than just guesses. The only issue was he couldn't be sure. There was nothing definitive about anything thus far, and it was beginning to bother him. All the knowledge in the Overworld was at his fingertips within the Library, but the information he needed was locked behind the lips of the Guardian overseeing it all.

Jake's hands curled as he glared at the Fairy. Maybe it was time to start to force the key to turn.

"Yir, I've been having dreams," Jake said. Yir's eyes narrowed just slightly.

"Everyone dreams, Jake." Her tone shifted.

"A man behind black clouds. A powerful figure looming just out of reach. A stifling, dry, cold air. And nothing but black. I can't say anything back to him, but he can speak to me." As he spoke, Yir's eyes remained unblinking as she stared at him.

"He told me his Envoy is coming to kill me," Jake said. The fairy didn't flinch, and Jake held his tongue.

"And?" She responded. Jake felt that familiar tingle at the back of his neck. A bristling tickle as the mana pressure in the air shifted. Yir's eyes shimmered with mana as she glared at him. Jake's jaw tensed as he waited to see if she would do something else. She didn't.

"I'm going to kill it, Yir. And I'm going to find out what you're hiding from me," Jake spat. The Fairy's expression remained unchanging and Jake forced himself to turn away. He grabbed the railing and readied himself to jump over it.

"Tread lightly, boy. Do not grow too curious for your own good," Yir rumbled behind him. For a moment, Jake felt something hot on his back. The boy clutched the railing and his mana coiled around his fingers.

"We'll see, Guardian of the Library." With that, Jake hurdled the railing and dropped down the tower. He let the wind carry him and fell free, his arms and legs spreading as he plummeted to the lower floors. As he crossed the halfway point of the tower, the boy rotated in the air and used his magic to slow his fall. He steadied himself, stopped his fall entirely, and then looked upwards. At the top of the tower, her feet on the railing, Yir stared down at him.

The air around her was full of yellow mana, and he could see her bright golden eyes peering down at him. A warning, it seemed, but Jake wasn't afraid of it. She wouldn't touch him nor would she get in his way. Her task was to protect the Library and Ferynith had given him access to the knowledge within. Unless Ferynith stripped that access to him, Yir's role would be to provide him assistance.

Jake let out a sigh and made his way over to the study, his boots tapping the floor as he landed and walked. Inside, he sorted through the books he'd left behind and found the spell books focused on the Fire element. As he picked up the book, he frowned. The weight of the pages wasn't just pulling on his hand and arm- it pulled on his heart. Magic was a tool. Learning it made him stronger, made him more capable. Magic was supposed to be used against 'evil' or 'enemy' targets. Killing off beasts like the Maedra was what magic was meant to be used for. However, Jake felt like there might be a time when he would have to use the magic he was learning for something else.

All he could hope for was for that reason to never come to fruition. But, if it did- he would have to be ready.

Which meant continuing to climb the ranks of Magic. Where he stood now, Jake had barely begun his climb up the towering mountain. Reaching the peak of Magical power was well off in the distance but it was attainable. After learning the Stone Breaker spell, Jake finally understood that there truly were no limits to Magic. Progress would only be stagnated by his own failure to seek the proper path forward. If he wanted to deal with the individual in his dreams and if he wanted to kill the Envoy, whoever that was, Jake didn't have the luxury of stopping.

Jake pried open the Fire elemental spell book and scanned its pages slowly. He stepped into the practice room and made his way up to the raised platform. He didn't plan to cast the spells he would be learning in full, but he certainly would practice their creation and initial steps.

Within the spell book, Jake found that his use of the element was fairly close already to its overall capabilities. However, he was failing to utilize the Fire element's explosive power to its highest potential. The fire ball spell was the first step. It gave him control over the flame and on impact, the ball would blow apart and spread heat over the affected area. The explosive spear he learned from mimicking Fien was a second-tier spell but it was only an elongated fire ball. It certainly was pretty strong and caused quite a bit of damage already. Jake could only imagine what the next step would be.

As he read, Jake learned that what his spells lacked was a mixture of overall impact force and the heat of the flames themselves. Upon reaching its target, his Fire spear would explode but it wouldn't melt or crater the floor. In terms of heat- if he focused on a single spell, Jake could increase the temperature of the fire, but he had trouble doing so when casting rapidly or in large numbers at once. Whenever he needed to shed quality for quantity, Jake noticed a dip in his Fire element's overall damage. Compared to Fien's spells, the loss was manageable, but the dip in efficiency was still something that bothered him.

To Jake's delight, the Fire spear was child's play compared to what the author of the book had available. The downside was the spells the author discovered were all sigil-based. Chant-based Fire spells were strong but their adjustable attributes were too simple for the element to be effective. The spells lacked both the complexity and the punch that sigil-based spells had. The runes within the sigil could be adjusted to fit the specific needs of the spell and the sigils could be stacked for an exponential increase in damage. His issue was control.

Jake could control his mana. He could control the spells easily, and he could adjust the foundations of the spells to be what he desired. But, that was only when his spells were one-dimensional. Stacking spells, enchantments, or sigils and runes, always increased the risk of his mana becoming unstable. He didn't quite understand the specifics as to why, but it was something to do with how the runes would sometimes conflict with one another. There was also the issue of having to keep the sigils properly aligned. If the mana transferring from one sigil to the next failed to do so properly, it could spark an explosion or the spell could just fail to trigger. Such risks made sigil-based spells ones that Jake didn't want to mess with.

However, the mage discovered that creating the sigils using mana aligned with the element would reduce the risks involved with the spell. As their name implied, sigil-based spells required the runes and the sigils to be drawn and written out. This took time, patience, and a lot of parchment. Mages that utilized sigil-based magic would carry books with them, with the sigils scribbled on the pages inside. To use the spell, they would turn to the proper page, apply mana, and then cast their spell by reciting a short incantation that would cause the mana to trigger.

The author discovered that runes could be created out of mana entirely. The method allowed for an array of sigil spells to be cast almost out of thin air, as long as the magician was well-trained and had memorized the sigil. By manipulating mana to take the shape of the desired sigil, the spell could be cast anywhere and at anytime.

Jake recalled seeing such a thing. When Chul fought with the Maedra, the Arachkin created numerous barriers and attack spells in the air with his mana. They were mainly sigil-based spells. The spells themselves were extremely powerful, too. Not to mention the Arachkin had covered himself with a bunch of runes and enchantments, which only added to the Arachkin's overall power. After recalling what happened to the Maedra during that battle, he could see why that form of casting would be powerful.

The author explained the method was as easy as writing with ink, except with mana instead. By using mana to trace and draw out the sigils in the air, a magician could trigger a spell just as well as if it were written or drawn on paper. The only difference was the steps in drawing the sigil were key to its creation. Taking the wrong steps would cause the sigil to destabilize and the mana would fall apart. If far enough in the process, the sigil could even explode. When stacking sigils, the risk of an explosion would increase as well. But the risk would come from failure to follow the steps, not from the mana itself.

As the boy read over the instructions and the sequence he was expected to take, he understood what the author was alluding to. The mana within the sigil needed to be contained- thus the first step was the outer circle. Next, the mana needed a way to flow within the circle so the inner lines had to be drawn. An element needed to be attached to the sigil so the elemental rune would then be drawn within its middle. The element would then define what runes could be drawn onto the sigil, and the runes would give the overall spell its attributes and power. Incorrect runes would either cause the spell to fail or the effect would come out different from expected. Thus, the magician would need to make sure the runes they attached to the sigil were the proper ones. Once those steps were followed and mana was applied to the sigil, the spell would be cast.

The issue was keeping the mana controlled and contained to the sigil through the entire process. On top of that, Jake already knew the problem with time and speed. Chul had been able to cast the sigil spells almost instantly, and he created the large sigils all in one go. In Jake's eyes, there was no process followed by the Arachkin. Likely due to the fact that the Arachkin had far more battle experience. Chul also had great mana control so Jake didn't question the Arachkin's ability to do it all at once. Replicating that amount of control and power would come with time and practice.

While Jake didn't particularly want to stray from his Chant-less magic and learn sigil magic, if he could perfect it then he knew his fire magic would soar in power. He trusted the author in his research and Chul's example had shown Jake the possibilities of sigil magic. He just didn't like the idea of taking more time with his spells. The threat of the Maedra's speed was always a factor in that. But, regardless of how he felt and the foes he faced, he needed to progress. If this was the next step, then he would take it.

The boy flipped the page and began to study the runes associated to the fire element. There were dozens of them, each with a different effect. A few were written to be paired specifically with others but overall Jake could see how sigil-based spells could be far more effective in a fight. With so many options, tweaks, and little ways to adjust the spell itself, one sigil could be made to fit a range of situations. Against the Maedra and their different forms and variations, such customization would prove useful. The issue would be memorizing the runes and not mixing them up during the spell creation process. A few of the runes were also marked and had notes for which of the others they conflicted with. So not only would he have to know the runes themselves, Jake needed to know the problematic combinations to avoid them on the fly.

"This... might take a minute," he mumbled. Jake sighed and picked up the book. He made his way out of the practice room and back into the study. While he wanted to start his practice with the spells, he didn't plan on getting blown up. Thus, he sat down and found himself a clean sheet of paper.

Just like when he learned the Seraphym and the Demon languages, Jake would use repetition to learn the runes. He would scribble down their shapes, write their names, and then read their definitions out loud to himself. It would take a lot of time but one way or another he needed to learn them. Thankfully, learning the prior two languages had helped teach him the little tricks and shortcuts to remembering new letters. Jake memorized the strokes needed for the runes, focused on their individual shapes, and he associated them with familiar shapes or objects he already knew. Magic was his strong point as well so the rune effects were easy to pick up. All he had to do was tie shape to the description.

But, writing the runes down with ink was only half of the task. Once Jake started to get the hang of the runes and could recall them more easily, he started writing in the air with mana. He never applied elemental effects to the runes nor did he connect them with spells, but Jake began sticking out a finger and would draw out the shapes of the runes. He thought of it as enchanting. Instead of enchanting an object, though, it was the air he was sticking the mana to. Thinking of it that way, Jake found it easier to visualize what he was trying to do.

Eventually, he stopped writing on the paper entirely. He stood up beside the table and kept his finger stuck out in front of him as he scribbled in the air. Thin blue shapes emerged, covering the air in front of the boy as he drew rune after rune, the shapes floating and filling the surrounding space. When there were too many runes blocking his view, he would swipe his hand through the space to scatter the mana, clearing the air, so he could continue to write.

As he was midway through his writing of another rune, Jake paused and stared upward. Quite some time had passed it seemed, and he had lost track of it. The air was filled with runes and the boy wasn't standing beside the table anymore. He was actually closer to the door of the study and as he looked around he noticed what he had done. While he had been erasing runes and scribbling over them, it seemed that over time he had just begun to wander. He could see the trail of runes in the air, the massive arrays of them drifting around the space. Older runes he had scribbled in the air had mostly begun to disperse as the mana holding them together lost its power but the recently created pulsed strongly with vigor. It was an interesting sight, but something Jake felt was happening more often. Learning magic was interesting and whenever he found himself doing something fun or difficult, he would lose himself in trying to learn it.

"Time for the next step, then." Comfortable that he'd learned all the runes, for the most part, Jake decided it was time to put the runes to work. He picked up the book and returned to the practice room. Once at his raised platform, he set down the book on his left and began the process.

First, the outline. He held up his finger and sent mana to the tip. He tapped the air and anchored the mana to the spot. Then, he traced a large circle, his arm and wrist swirling as he drew as good of a circle as he could get. When his finger tapped the anchor point again, the line tightened and straightened on its own. The wiggles and imperfections were removed as the ring established itself. Like with enchantments, Jake created a second inner circle. It too bound itself to the air and Jake could see his mana pulse as the shape stabilized. He kept his finger extended, as he could feel the mana channeling from his finger out into the air.

Next, he traced the inner lines to give the sigil its mana flow. Much like enchantment lines, the sigil lines for the Fire elemental spells were sharp and aggressive. He followed the outline on the book and his finger sliced violently at the air as he carved out the necessary shape.

Lastly, to finish the sigil's outline, Jake created a small circle in the center. He connected the mana lines and then quickly drew a fire rune within its core. The blue lines flared red before the color dimmed to a faint orange. It looked as if the mana within the lines was burning. Jake stared at the sigil for a moment, a bit surprised at the result in front of him. It was almost too easy, too simple. It felt almost like this was something he should have been doing long ago because of how smoothly the task came to his fingers.

Then again, this wasn't his first time using runes and sigils. The alert spell he used was a small sigil. The explosive rune was a fire rune. The fire pits he made were made using burning runes. The lights in his home were done using illumination runes. Enchantments were practically sigil spells, just more utility-focused, and the runes within them were used differently. For something so new, it felt old.

Jake shrugged off the feeling and scribbled in the runes for the spell. He defined the object he wanted to be formed, the number, the velocity, and the explosive level of the impact. To keep things simple, Jake recreated the introductory fire ball spell with the sigil. He used similar attributes and kept the rune strength low. The amount of mana within the sigil was minimal to avoid damaging the library and to ensure Jake could maintain control over it.

Once the last rune was drawn in, they all pulsed with power and the sigil shifted, rotating to the right ten degrees. The rune in its core pulsed and burned, a flame sparking on the other side of it. Jake assumed that meant it was ready. To trigger it, Jake placed his hand against the backside of the sigil and pumped in the required activation mana. The sigil flared and the runes sparked to life. A moment later, a fire ball appeared. It expanded quickly and then fired, soaring through the room towards the far wall. It impacted with a powerful smash, blowing apart and creating a dent in the wall. The result wasn't all that flashy but Jake could certainly already see the difference. If it were a normal fire ball with the same parameters the result wouldn't have been as great. Maybe a bit of charring but that would have been it.

"What if I crank that up...?" Jake looked over the runes on the sigil and rumbled a bit as he thought of how to adjust the spell. He dispersed the mana in the air, cutting the connection with his own flow, and watched the sigil fizzle away. When the air was clear, he went to work recreating it.

Following the steps to ensure he wouldn't injure himself, Jake worked slowly to fill out the lines and runes of the sigil. For his answer, he referred to the book to see how to increase the power of the spell. From what he read, doing so was easy; add more mana and write more runes. By adding more runes to the sigil, the mage added additional conduits for mana to be attached to. The spell on the other end would draw from that power. Replicated runes would work as additional sources of strength and fuel the spell even more. So, Jake did just that. Rather than write one set of runes, he wrote three. He also left behind more mana for each of the runes, giving them an even greater base level of mana.

A fire on the other side flicked to life when he was finished and the sigil rotated once more. He placed his hand against the elemental rune and fed mana into the sigil. It blazed in front of his eyes and a blue fire ball appeared on the far side. It snapped forward and the air cracked as it launched across the room. Jake's eyes widened as a trail of sparks twinkled in the air. It smacked the far wall, shattering the stone with a violent thud. The blue flames burped outwards, partially blinding Jake for a moment as they flashed brilliantly.

"That was... just three..." He mumbled, his eyes locked on the large crater on the far wall. Adding just two more sets of runes had caused the jump significantly in power. That and the increase in mana. Jake stared at the sigil floating just in front of his fingertips, his lips pressing together. He dissolved the sigil and looked at the distant crater in the wall, watching as the wall repaired itself. He let out a sigh and decided it was best to not actually fire the thing off anymore. Instead, he would practice the process up until the triggering point.

Feeling the heat and being reminded of his thist, Jake created a little cup from the ground and filled it with water. He took a long drink to refresh himself, and then he went to work. His Alert sigils had not been triggered nor had the Warriors bugged him, so he took advantage of the extra time to continue practicing. Judging from how far they had progressed and the time it would take to gather the necessary bodies, Jake assumed it would take a long while for their reinforcements to show up. There was no rush. Jake would practice until he could make the sigil without having to pause, and then he would try to learn how to form it all at once.

Though, he figured that would take a lot more skill and effort to figure out. That or there was a trick he would have to learn. The Flow of Chi technique was similar in a way. Combining the techniques together required Jake to find the similarities between them all and cut out the wasteful steps. If he focused on the basic requirements, perfected the creation process, and streamlined it all, he figured the solution followed the same train of thought. If true, and if he found a way to create the sigils rapidly enough to be combat effective, he would be able to incorporate them into his spell kit with ease.

2