Chapter – 3.1: The Last Job
1.8k 6 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter - 3.1

 

With the envelope in his hand, Alexander recalled the visit from his master a few days back. It was about midnight, and Alexander was going through one of the books his master got him when he felt a presence in the room. And he knew who it was before even looking up.

 

"Master," Alexander left his bed and whispered softly to not wake up his sister.

 

"It has been seven years since I first met you," the man said, sitting on the chair by the window. It was like the favourite spot of the man.

 

"... And hardly have I ever seen you not reading something," the man pointed out, "Don't you have anything else you like to do."

 

"I just find it fascinating. Every time I feel like I found something new going through these books. There is another interpretation, a new conclusion that I arrive at," Alexander did not show it on his face, but the man felt he was excited.

 

"So, how many times has it been?" The man flicked his arm, and the book Alexander was reading came floating into his hands.

 

"I don't remember. A lot maybe," Alexander replied.

 

"Good... Good... I can at least say that in terms of just knowing about it, you are better than me," the man said, with a faint smile on his face, "But don't ever get conceited. There is always someone better than you hiding somewhere, in some corner of this world."

 

"Hmmm..." Alexander nodded.

 

"Now, coming to why I am here," the man closed the book in his hand and, crossing his legs, became more comfortable, "You do remember what we discussed the last time I was here, don't you?"

 

"About that last job?" Alexander asked, confirming.

 

The man nodded, "Yes, but before that, I want to ask you something." The man looked at Alexander raising his eyebrows. When Alexander saw the man looking at him, he did not dilly-dally and gave a quick nod.

 

"How far do you think you can go for me?" The man asked. He was trying to gauge the extent of Alexander's loyalty towards him in his own words.

 

"If I know my sister is safe. I won't die until I have exterminated every last one of those you want gone," Alexander replied. For him, to serve someone, one must not be willing to die for them. But one should strive to become stronger and keep them safe, removing all the obstructions in their way.

 

"... I want to live a peaceful life with my sister. At least until she is old and not married. After that, I want to exact revenge on those who took my life away from me. I burn with rage... Anger every time I think about them," Alexander said.

 

'Rage? Anger? Where is it?' the man thought as he looked at Alexander, amused, 'If you are going to say so with such a straight face, how am I going to believe you?'

 

"And for that, I need your help."

 

But the man knew, however, Alexander put it, and whatever his goals were, he was loyal to him. He just wanted to know what Alexander had decided for his future.

 

"Since I know where you stand, I will tell you what you have to do," the man nodded, "Soon, you will receive a letter from Hogwarts. Your final job is to protect someone there." The man told Alexander.

 

Alexander knew about Hogwarts. It was one of the few schools that take in budding wizard kids from around the globe every year. It is the Ministry of Magic that has been on the lookout for such children who have the potential to use magic. And, as soon as these kids reach that minimum age of fourteen, they receive a letter from one of these magic schools.

But in the end, the decision to enrol or not in the schools was in the hands of the students and their parents.

 

If they decided to enter the magic schools, it was all well and good. But if they choose against it, their memories are wiped out, and the families are continued to be monitored by the Ministry for the rest of their life.

 

"Who?" Alexander asked as he secretly calculated in his heart. If it's against something imminent, it won't last more than a year, but what if he had to protect that person all through until they graduate? It would be seven more years of his life. Alexander had no desire to enrol in Hogwarts or any such school for that matter. He felt that spending time in the wild and hunting beasts was faster for him to reach his goals.

 

"It's a guy. His name is Potter, Harry Potter. He will be attending the school starting this year," the man told Alexander, but his tone was solemn, "I want you to keep him out of any harm's way."

 

 

 

"Harry Potter? The same kid who was behind the disappearance of 'You-know-who'? This Harry Potter guy was on par with the legends even when he was in his diapers. Alexander had read about him in quite a few books. So, why would someone like him need protection? Alexander wanted to ask but was hesitant. So, in the end, he chose to give up on the inquiry.

 

"Hmmm," the man nodded and looked at Alexander, "Can you do it?" The man asked only to get a nod from the boy in front of him.

 

"And you are not going to ask why?" The man raised his eyebrows.

 

"You must have your reasons," though somewhere in his heart, Alexander wanted to ask. He felt it would be too bothersome to take into account other details if he knew more. More importantly, Alexander did not want to look doubtful of the man in front. He was the one who took care of him and his sister for the past few years. Yes, the man is using him, but he is also the one who gave him the means to his revenge.

 

So, all he needed to know now was what he must do. After that, how was up to him to worry about.

 

"There is no need for you to babysit him. Meddle only when he is in extreme danger or something. They want him to grow into a powerful wizard," the man said and smirked, "Maybe you will have a competition."

 

But Alexander did not respond. For him, he never really cared about such trivial things.

 

"... I am done with what I had to say. Soon, someone from the school will come and help you shop for everything you need in your first year," the man got up to leave.

 

"Master," Alexander stopped the man. When the man looked back at him, Alexander continued, "Do you know where Mr Potter lives?"

 

"He is not Mr Potter for you," the man corrected Alexander, "You don't have to be respectful or courteous towards him. Your only job is to keep him safe. If for that, you have to beat him up and lock him in a room, so be it, I don't care. As for his address," the man waved his arm and the pen kept on the table nearby floated in the air and scribbled something on the notepad there.

 

"Anything else?" The man asked.

 

"No," Alexander shook his head.

 

And with that, the man was gone. Alexander, on the other hand, turned his attention to the notepad on the table.

 

It was an address Number 4, Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey.

 

'It's not far from here,'

 

* * * * *

For regular and advance updates as well as my other stories, do check out my Patreon: patreon.com/thelonelyguy

59