Chapter 6. Phil’s Suggestion
795 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Diving into the lake, I swam a couple of meters before I reached the drowning man.

Despite the warm weather, the water here was icy, and the last thing I wanted to get sick.

Picking up the guy who had already begun to lose consciousness, I dragged him to the shore with all my strength.

He turned out to be quite heavy, while my body was very fragile, and he could easily have carried the two of us to the bottom.

In the end, having managed to drink a lot of water myself, I still threw it on the ground, and sat down next to it myself.

Once on land, the guy immediately began to spit out water, which seemed to be at least a liter.

I, wet as a cat, from head to toe, began to wring out my clothes, mentally lamenting that my beautiful school uniform now looked more like a floor rag.

For a while, we came to ourselves in silence, after which, having caught our breath, the stranger thanked me:

- thanks... Thank you for saving me...

Now, pushing my wet hair off my face, I could see him for the first time.

He was a student guy about my age, with black hair and a pretty face. His clear blue eyes seemed strangely familiar to me, as if I had seen them on someone before...

— You're welcome, — I smiled, — I couldn't just pass by. How are you doing? Should I call the school doctor?

"No, don't," he nodded his head, "I'm all right... It's just that too much water got into my lungs.

He looked confused by the situation that had occurred, and apparently did not want to continue to strain me further.

We both stood up when I decided to ask him:

— How did you get into the lake?

— Well... It was an accident. The textbook fell out of my bag into the lake, and I reached out to get it... And in the end he fell. It probably sounds very stupid...

— Not at all, — I said, — Everyone could get into such a situation, regardless of whether he can swim. But it's good that I was there, right?

— Yes, — the dark—haired guy also smiled, - It's the first time I've seen such a brave girl like you. If it wasn't for your help, I would have drowned already.

I laughed out of embarrassment.

"Is there anything I can do to thank you?" — He said guiltily, - You saved my life.

— Yes, — I smiled, — Try not to fall into the lake again, so that I don't have to save you.

Having said that, I picked up my bag from the ground, and waved goodbye to Tom, ran to the dorm.

I needed to change into dry clothes urgently so as not to get sick. Besides, I had to wash my uniform so that it could dry before tomorrow...

I hope the guy I saved will do the same. And I was still haunted by his blue eyes...

***

The next few days at the academy were quite peaceful.

On the one hand, I expected that studying at the Royal Academy would be exciting and interesting, but in fact it was not much different from the ordinary school I went to in my previous life.

In addition to improved living conditions and the fact that the children of rich aristocrats studied here, the academy was like an ordinary private school. I can't say that I complained when I got here, but I didn't feel exorbitant delight either.

After all, apart from the huge amount of money invested in it, there was nothing special about it.

After a series of subjects that I still didn't understand, I immediately wanted to go to bed, because I had to get up very early.

However, I couldn't afford to relax, because I didn't forget about my main mission here for a minute.

After a week spent in this place, I never met either Razor or Philip. Attempts to ask other students about them also did not lead to anything useful.

It so happened that until the age of seventeen, the princes rarely left the royal palace, due to the fact that the current king was very worried about their safety. And in the end, this led to the fact that very few people actually knew what they looked like.

Teenagers whose parents saw the king and saw his children said that the younger prince was "dark as night" and the older one "bright as a clear sky."

Naturally, these vague descriptions, which I already knew about, did not improve my situation in any way.

Therefore, my main fear at first was precisely that I would meet and not recognize them.

And considering that Roman will most likely do everything possible so that I, as in the original plot, get stuck between the two of them in a love triangle, I could expect a "setup" at any minute.

But, fortunately, my worries on this score did not last long.

Because news reached me pretty quickly that a banquet was to be held at the academy this month in honor of the beginning of the school year, which Philip and Razor would definitely attend.

Banquets were held at the Royal Academy twice a year. The first one is at the beginning of the year, and the second one is at the end. It was an important event, which was to be opened by the best students of the academy.

And since both princes have entered here this year, it will certainly fall to their lot to participate in the banquet.

After the welcoming speech, they will have to perform the traditional dance of Azeroth with their partners, which will mark the official beginning of the holiday.

It is for this reason that everyone was looking forward to this year's event with such impatience, and wondered who the princes' partners would be. And, more importantly, a meeting with them themselves, because this was their first official appearance outside the palace.

Naturally, I was not going to miss this event in any way.

After all, when their identities are finally revealed, I will be able to live in peace and not worry about accidentally getting close to them.

Then, my main problem will be only Rachel, and how I can make friends with her.

However, in order to make at least some steps in this direction, I first had to meet with her...

And I had no idea how to do it. The last few days, I've been looking for her all over the school, but Rachel seemed to disappear into thin air. She wasn't even in the school garden, where I had managed to see her before.

And while I was puzzling over this problem, I accidentally met Phil.

It happened in the evening when I was walking after the end of lessons, wandering through the school corridors, being completely in my thoughts.

In the end, I bumped into someone, and when I looked up, I realized that it was the same guy with whom we were traveling together in the same compartment.

However, we never saw each other after that, and to be honest, I had already managed to forget about him.

Phil, meanwhile, was glad to see me.

His fair face lit up and his blue eyes sparkled as he said:

— Leriana, what a meeting!

—Ah... oh... Hi! — when I came to myself, I said hello, — I haven't seen you for a long time.

— That's for sure. After that meeting, I looked everywhere for you, but I didn't find you. What luck that we met like this! he continued enthusiastically.

— You were looking for me...? — I was surprised.

— Of course, — the smile on his face brightened even more, — You're the first person I've made friends with here. Don't you think so?

— A... K-of course! Thanks for looking for me. How was your first week at the academy?

We went to the side to talk, and Phil began to tell me about his impressions. All this eventually lasted for almost half an hour.

— ...to be honest, these days were very busy. Maybe even better than I expected. I really like studying here.

— I probably don't either... To be honest, I can't concentrate on my studies yet," I admitted.

— Did something happen to you? He asked worriedly.

— Well... yes... There's a little problem," I admitted.

— And what is it?

— I would like to know more about one person. But... It's very difficult," I sighed.

— Who is this? I know a lot of nobles here, and maybe I can help," Phil said readily.

— Really?! I was delighted.

— Yes, — the guy laughed, — So what is the name of this person?

—Rachel,— I said, "Rachel Cassius."

Hearing that name, Phil turned pale for a moment. After that, he looked at me in surprise.

— Why... Why do you need to know about her?

Phil's strange reaction to my request didn't surprise me at all. After all, many here disliked her, if not hated her. Phil probably had the same opinion of her as everyone else.

Most likely, the real Leriana in my place would never have thought of contacting her in my life, given the vile reputation of her family. But I had no choice.

In order to avoid a future clash with her tyrant son, I was ready to spit on all the rumors and speculation.

"I'd like to be friends with her," I replied.

—W-really?" — the surprise in the guy's eyes grew more and more, — But why...? Haven't you heard what they say about her at the academy?

— It seems to me that these rumors are not entirely true, — I said, — Recently I saw her, and it seemed to me that she... Uh-M... Not such a bad person... Therefore, I am interested to learn more about her.

I lied to Phil's face and didn't blush, because in fact it wasn't like that at all.

In fact, Rachel's character was just terrible, if not disgusting. She didn't know how to communicate with other people at all, and she didn't really try to do it.

Instead of words, she preferred threats and violence. Even one of her short icy glances thrown in my direction was enough for me to remember it for the rest of my life.

But considering that I wanted to be friends with her, of course I couldn't say it out loud. I had to pretend that I really thought she was a good person.

Phil kept looking at me suspiciously, as if he didn't fully believe that anyone could really think that way about her, "So you want to become her friend?"

I nodded.

— But... You do realize that it can be dangerous, right? Haven't you heard about the curse?

"Well, I think it's just a fiction," I replied innocently.

Phil pursed his lips.

— I see that you are serious.

— Quite. So... Do you know anything about her?

Phil sighed.

— What exactly are you interested in? — he finally gave up.

— For starters... Can you tell me how Rachel got into this academy?

The guy thought about it.

— Before me, uh-M... There were rumors that it was all because of her father. Almost all the nobles were against Rachel studying with us because they are all afraid of the legend of the curse... But Duke Cassius made a deal with the director, according to which she will study here, in return for huge funding from his side.

I wondered how Phil knew such details, and began to suspect that he really came from a very influential family. Maybe even more than mine.

However, Phil's position in society did not concern me now as much as a lot of other accumulated issues.

"Do you know what grade she's in?"

"None at all," he shrugged.

— That is? I was surprised.

— Everyone here turned out to be against Rachel being in their class, and therefore teachers have to study with her separately. She also lives in a separate building.

Even I was surprised by this information.

Of course, I knew that in modern times the belief in the curse among people was very strong, but I did not suspect that to such an extent.

In this academy, Rachel was subjected to the most real persecution. For a split second, my heart even ached with pity for her.

— I see... — I muttered, — Then maybe you know where she goes most often? I looked for her all over the building, but I couldn't find her anywhere.

"I saw her in the library a couple of times when I went there," Phil said, "that's all.

— Thanks for telling me, — I smiled, — Then I'll probably go there right now.

But before I could move away, Phil suddenly called out to me.

— Leriana.

- Yes?

— In return for this information, can you promise me something?

— Promise? I was surprised.

— In a month... There will be a banquet in honor of the beginning of the school year in a month," he was embarrassed, "And in fact, I was looking for you to offer this...

I was surprised when he would finish such an unexpected phrase.

— ...In general, could you become my partner?

"A partner?" I asked.

"A dance partner," the guy clarified.

I fell into a stupor because I did not expect that he would offer such a thing to me. After all, I didn't even plan to look for someone for this purpose. Although many were going to come to this event with a couple...

But Phil and I are not a couple!

— Why me? the question came out of my mouth.

"Well, you're the only girl I know here," he continued, still slightly flushed, "and I think we'd look good together.

— Oh...

In fact, I had no idea how to react to it.

Phil seemed to me a good person, for whom I had bright feelings, but I would never have thought of going to such a holiday with him together. I don't even know why.

— Phil, can I think about this for a while...?

— Of course, — he caught himself, — The banquet will take place only in a month, so you have time. But if you still agree, then we should start preparing the dance two weeks before the event.

I was surprised that he took ordinary dancing so seriously, but I didn't show it.

— Phil, I will definitely think about your offer.

23