Chapter 16. My heart is busy
987 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had to summon all the remnants of my courage to take Rachel's hand like that and lead her to the center of the hall. Everyone around us immediately paid attention to us, and this only made the girl even more angry.

Many froze in fear or screamed when it turned out that the cursed daughter of Duke Cassia was also present at this ball. Naturally, no one expected to meet her here.

The silence turned into whispers, which later turned into a hum. But as soon as Rachel took one quick look at them, everyone immediately fell silent.

"Do you... do you have any idea what you just did?"

I've never seen Rachel so furious before.

She easily pulled her hand free, despite all my efforts. Then she swung, with the obvious purpose of hitting me.

I closed my eyes beforehand, expecting a painful beating on her part. But surprisingly, the hand stopped a millimeter from my face.

All because I managed to shout out softly:

— Please help me!

Rachel frowned.

The banquet hall has been completely silent since recently. Philip and Razor stood in the same place, confused, not quite understanding what was happening now. Actually, like everyone else.

Even the director shut up, apparently realizing that it was not the best time to interfere.

- what?

"Become my partner," I asked, "just for one night."

I tried to keep my voice low so that only Rachel could hear my words.

— If you help me, then I will definitely repay you later!

— With what?

— Uh-m…

— How will you repay me? Rachel asked in a more neutral tone.

I was surprised, because a second ago it seemed that she was about to tear me apart.

— Well, anything ... — I answered doubtfully.

In fact, I really didn't know exactly how I could repay Rachel. Financially, the Cassians' fortune surpassed even the imperial family, so I was useless here. And as for the rest…

— I will help you raise your status in society! — I said decisively, - My father is not the last person in the empire, and if everyone finds out that I treat you well, then others will stop being afraid of you!

Rachel looked at me like I was a fool.

— No need.

— Why...?!

— What's the use of a stupid aristocrat who hasn't even finished school? Only the Archduke's words have weight, not yours.

Rachel always spoke only the truth, but expressed it in such a rude way that it could easily be taken as an insult. So this time, I barely restrained myself so as not to be offended by her. Rachel was right, though.

At the age of seventeen, I still did not have the power to influence the wealthy aristocrats who run the empire. This will happen only after the status of Archduchess passes to me. But, however, there was still a long way to go before that moment.

"Then what do you want?" I asked resentfully, "You're right, I'm still underage, and I can't arrange a coup for you or something like that.

Rachel looked at me indifferently.

— Then let's postpone this question.

- what?

"I'll think about what I want from you. And when I make a decision, you have no right to refuse.

Strangely, I was relieved by this dangerous offer.

The most important thing is that Rachel agreed to fulfill my request. Even if she made me kneel in front of her in front of the whole academy later, I didn't mind. It's better than if those two follow me again.

— Music, please! I commanded when the musicians froze, not knowing what to do.

The order from the daughter of Archduke Ashford sounded very convincing, so they decided that this was probably how it should be. After the princes, I remained one of the most influential students of the academy, so the right of the first dance, according to theory, could pass to me.

The orchestra began to play slowly, for the first time defusing this tense atmosphere with music.

I hesitantly put my hand on Rachel's shoulder, and we began to waltz. Fortunately, there should have been no problems with this.

All aristocrats learned dancing from childhood, and Leriana was no exception. Despite the fact that I have never had to do this in my life, my body perfectly remembered all the movements, which is why I moved almost instinctively.

The only thing that gave me some awkwardness was that our faces were unnaturally close to each other. Before that, we had never had such close physical contact.

I might even have felt embarrassed if it wasn't for the fact that Rachel hissed at me all the time.

— Fool, if you step on my foot again, I will definitely strangle you...!

Her usual harsh tone sobered me up a bit, which is why I didn't think about it anymore until the very end.

During the entire dance and after it ended, the children of the aristocrats still stared at us as if we were something unimaginable. No one even dared to clap their hands when we thanked each other in a curtsy. So everything that was happening seemed strange to others.

However, this is what I wanted. I'd rather get a reputation that makes it unprofitable for Phil and Razor to mess with me. After all, because of the communication with Rachel Cassius, a variety of rumors could definitely go around me. Before that, no one had even dared to speak to her, let alone publicly invite her to dance.

The rest of the banquet was held in an extremely calm atmosphere, since the noise and fun at the beginning, due to Rachel's presence, was no longer there.

Phil and Razor had to invite other girls to the second dance, which I was very happy about. The whole event, I followed Rachel's tail so that they wouldn't suddenly come up to me.

Judging by her usual behavior, Rachel behaved quite well that evening. At least she didn't show disgust, and only insulted a couple of times. You can say that the girl took my offer to become her partner seriously.

At twelve o'clock at night, the people were already slowly beginning to disperse.

Rachel was one of the first to leave and refused when I offered to walk her to the dorm. It turned out to be some inconvenience that we lived in different buildings, because because of this we could not go home together.

However, okay. I've bothered her enough this day.

I was walking along the corridor of the academy, which at one point became completely empty. Most of all, I wanted to fall asleep in my room as soon as possible, because I had never been so tired in my life. Neither mentally nor physically.

Fortunately, the most important thing is that everything went well. So, I could even be proud of myself.

I yawned and scratched the back of my head, when at that moment someone suddenly laid a hand on my shoulder.

— Ah...!

I almost screamed, but I realized in time that in such an elite academy, a maniac simply cannot show up in the middle of the night.

And she was right. Fortunately or not, the person who caught up with me was Phil. Or, more precisely, Prince Philip.

— Leriana, I'm sorry… Did I scare you?

I exhaled.

— No, nothing, Your Highness.

Involuntarily, I emphasized the last word, which made Philippe Blanche guiltily embarrassed.

— Can we talk?

I decided to agree to this proposal in order to clarify everything right away. After all, all these omissions will eventually harm only me.

We went out into the garden, where no one was there now. At night, lanterns were lit all over the academy, so it was really beautiful here. It can be said, even better than during the day.

I sat down on a bench, but the prince was in no hurry to do the same. He stood nearby, and for a long time did not dare to speak again.

"I'm sorry," he finally said, "I'm sorry I didn't say it right away.

— Nothing. I don't hold a grudge against you.

Even if I was angry, I couldn't express it. After all, if earlier we were in the same position as ordinary aristocrats, now it was not so. The imperial word had the greatest weight in this country. Philip, being the crown Prince, had too much power for me to openly contradict him.

— I wasn't going to hide it on purpose, — the guy sighed, — Just… I was so glad when you addressed me as your friend. And I was afraid that if you found out about everything, you would... stop communicating with me.

I chuckled.

In fact, it was the perfect tie for a love affair. Where the heroine, not knowing about the true origin of her chosen one, falls in love with him. The most classic, but at the same time intriguing scenario in such stories.

As it turned out, Novella did a good job of bringing us together.

If this were the original story of Philip and Leriana, it would really come out very romantic.

That's just… I knew perfectly well what would follow.

A fleeting love wasn't worth my life. Becoming the companion of Prince Philip, in the future I will have to pay a huge price for it.

And I definitely wasn't ready for it.

—I understand you, Your Highness," I said dryly, trying to end this pointless conversation as quickly as possible.

I got up from the bench and was going to say goodbye to him. But as it turned out, the prince wasn't going to let me go so soon.

— Wait! — he said when I almost turned my back on him, - Even though I lied about my origin, but everything else was true. I like you!

- what?

— I hope that we can forget all this and start all over again.

Philip looked at me with hope, expecting me to get into his words and give him a second chance.

But I had other plans.

"I'm sorry, Your Highness, but I can't be with you. My heart has been busy for a long time.

At first, the guy seemed taken aback by my words. After which, anger took hold of him.

— What...?! — Prince Philip was furious, — Who is this?! Tell me his name, and I will fight him in a fair fight! You'll see that I'm much better than him!

"Your Highness, you see, it's not really a man…

— What are you talking about?

"I'm afraid that the daughter of the cursed duke stole my heart at first sight.

24