Interlude – Anna
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sure, I will have some food ready in a slow cooker for you. Just let me know once you are driving back.” My husband paused and looked me in the eyes. “You will have to ungag her if you want to learn everything. Unless you want to either skip some crucial parts or for me to guess.”

“No, I want to find out what your wives think of it too. It will make it more satisfying.” He gestured to one of his henchmen, who quickly ungagged me.

It was open for so long that I had difficulty closing my jaw. One thing I wanted the most was to make them impatient and angry. I started talking, even if a bit slow.


2 months ago:

I do not think I imagined it. There was mention of the hotel on his watch, he cleared the notification instantly. Then he lied to me that he will have to work longer. So, the bastard is cheating. I knew something was off for the last few years, it felt like there was some part of him that I didn’t see. No one did. So, he is a liar and a cheat. Which whom? Co-worker? Brian wife? No, I do not think she would do that to Brian. I will cut his family jewels once I have proof. I should poke a bit, probe him for some leads. “What project are you working currently on?”

“Anti-burglary setup for one of the houses in the suburbs, you know. Cameras, glass break detectors, burglar-resistant roller shutters, motion detectors and smoke sensors. They went full on really rich couples. Another job is to install routers across the entire campus in one of the schools. Along with the virtual desktop system. Then there is one with a full smart house system, this one even has a fridge with Wi-Fi.”

“Is the last one the reason you must stay longer tomorrow? I had a plan for tomorrow. Can it be rescheduled?” He looked at me, no trace of worry in his eyes, yet there was something different, for a second, I thought he was not my Arthur, but someone wearing his skin. That did not last for long.

“Yes, that is the one and no, sorry. It needs to be done asap.” He was nearly done with his dinner. So was I. “I will make it up for you. I can take pay leave for the next day if you want.”

“Yes, that would be great, but could you make it the day after? Thanks hubby.” I smiled at him as he nodded. I started to plot my next move. I needed to find out to have a definite proof.

I made sure to not show anything that could tip him off. I waited for his arrival the next day. He came later as he promised. I noticed he smelled of fresh bath. So, he was there. That day I lived like normal but when he was not around, I called my company and took a day off for tomorrow.

I arrived at a hotel I believe I saw on his watch. Hotel Castletown, between church street and the main Street, 3-star hotel. I went straight to reception; In my right hand I had a picture of my husband. I showed it to the receptionist and asked “Hi, this is my husband, Arthur. I knew he was booked here for yesterday, could you confirm it for me? He left his watch here.”

“Sorry, I cannot tell you,“ she said dejected. “Even if I knew him. Or company policy prevents us from mentioning anything about our clients. But please consider that we have so many clients that I would not remember even if he were here and if I were allowed to tell.”

“I was asked by my husband, but he forgot to tell me the name of the hotel, so it is either this one or the one next block. He will not complain about you telling me that. Maybe you can find his watch at least?” I asked for the watch to shift attention from me, I definitely look like another wife that suspects her husband is cheating, but has not enough proof. Considering how many cheating people visit this hotel it is very unlikely for that to work, but maybe she will do me a favour from woman to woman?

She took black box from under the front desk and checked inside. “No watch here. Between us I can tell you that I have no idea. Unless he is something eye-catching or memorable, I would not remember him next hour let alone today.” She looked at me for a second before continuing. “Was he to do anything with two hair gelled men, a dwarf, a cameraman and a hot blonde in a pink mini? Because that is the only people who I remember from yesterday. Now if you have nothing else to do could you please excuse me?”

I placed a picture on the front desk. “Could you call me next time he is around?”

“Why? Are you here for his “lost” watch?” She made an air quote and gave me back his picture. “I cannot help you there. Speak to your husband.”

That yielded nothing. I will need another plan. I will get my answer, even if I am to be forced to stalk him or to hire a detective. I started to formulate my great plan, something that he will not suspect, and something that I later regretted. What I learned changed everything and I would never look at the world the same way.


Once I finished speaking, the man. Ciaran looked at me and said nothing. That man, everyone knows him. He was suspected of leading an organized crime syndicate but was released due to not enough evidence as all witnesses either refused to collaborate, died in accidents, or committed suicide. He is not someone I ever wanted to be near, yet somehow my husband made this man his mortal enemy. Even after all I learned I have no idea what connections they share.

“Could I ask you to promise to release my wife once we are done?” asked my husband. I waited horrified for the answer.

“No, I cannot promise you anything, because whatever my answer will be. As a man of a word, I will have to stick to it. I guarantee that it will be better if you ask me once you finish your story.” He said that and the cogs in my head started turning. I was most likely going to die today, Ciaran has a certain reputation, perhaps I could use that to guarantee my survival.

0