Chapter 19
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elvira had seen recordings of the White Temple, but none of them did justice to its sheer size or beauty. The architecture was unlike anything else on Esper. Giant columns of polished marble held aloft great stone ceilings. Sunlight diffused through narrow openings into the cool interior courtyards.

The walls and pillars were decorated with elaborate scenes, although to her surprise they were unrelated to Paladin history. She vaguely remembered reading this used to be a center of Northern culture before the Fading, spared from destruction when the Paladins chose it as their base. The theory was supported by what she saw, in any case.

Gordon parked their rented truck in a shaded area off to the side of the temple. Hitori wanted to head straight inside and start looking for answers, but Elvira, Protius, and even Gordon were distracted by sightseeing, so Hitori allowed them to play tourist.

Chandra, meanwhile, was doing her very best to shrink out of sight completely. For the most part she went unnoticed, but the occasional group of Paladins would erupt into whisper as she passed. Elvira resisted the urge to spin kick them into a wall.

Eventually they finished the tour and Hitori sent Protius, Chandra, and Gordon off to the Temple library. He took Elvira along to speak with the High Chaplain.

“Are we really going to walk up to the leader of the White Temple and ask if she has… um, the thing?” Elvira said once the two of them were alone.

“Not quite,” Hitori replied. “I’m certain that ‘Super Paladin’ from last night is connected to the White Temple, given how quickly she popped in and grabbed the stone. Someone must have tipped her off.”

“Do you think Pandora had something to do with it?”

“Like she sold us out?” Hitori hummed. “I don’t know I would put it past her, but she strikes me as the ‘desert ambush’ type. This felt like a crime of opportunity.”

“I see,” Elvira said. “Oh! Wait, does that mean we were being watched?”

“Most likely. Though I didn’t see any trace of her before she dropped in front of me.”

“I wasn’t even looking for something like that.”

“You’ll find a nice baseline level of paranoia will serve you well,” Hitori said with a sly grin.

“Doesn’t sound stressful at all, really,” Elvira said.

“On the subject, looks like we’re at the chaplain’s office. How’s the Masquerade Sigil holding up?”

“Uh, wh— Oh! Yeah,” Elvira remembered he was talking about the sigil Nova made to disguise her modified Vital Net from any curious Paladins. Her face pinched in concentration as she checked. “Vinni says she hasn’t stopped running it since I got it, not that she’s happy about it.”

“That’s good, but you should make a habit of checking. VNs can make funny decisions sometimes.”

“Right, yes, I’ll work on it.”

Hitori smiled, then knocked on the door as they walked up. A few seconds later a small, mousey woman opened it. She appeared to be Mairtalan, with much fairer skin than a typical Paladin and no shortage of freckles. Her hair was naturally curly and pure white, somewhat like a cloud.

“Ah, yes, you must be the… mercenaries who insisted on a meeting with Her Grace,” she said quietly. She was wearing the most Elvira had ever seen on a Paladin, a long-sleeved blouse under the mesh shirt, and a skirt that ran to the floor. “Please take a seat while I inform her of your arrival.”

She shuffled to the far door while Hitori and Elvira sat down. The woman returned to her desk without speaking, and the pair were left waiting in silence for an uncomfortably long time. Hitori didn’t seem to mind, taking a quick look around the office before reading something on his WebComm. It looked like article on new sword designs.

Finally, the receptionist stood up and said, “Her Grace will see you now.” Elvira couldn’t guess what signal conveyed that information. She joined Hitori as he walked into the next room, where they found themselves in a well decorated office. Sitting at the desk on the far side was a Bachijan woman, who stood as they approached.

Elvira stared a moment in wonder when she saw the woman towered above her. Even Hitori barely came up to her chin. She was wearing typical Paladin attire, that is, relatively little, though more ornate than usual. Several gold and silver bands decorated her body.

“Chaplain Talitha,” Hitori said. “Well met.” He bowed and made a gesture Elvira recognized from Duroterra, normally used in religious ceremonies. It was odd to see it so far from home, but it pleased the giant woman.

“You are more well mannered than agent Kalindi suggested,” Talitha said.

“I’m sure she meant only with respect to herself,” Hitori said.

The chaplain laughed. “And very generous too. In any case, I hope you aren’t here merely to make excuses. I must say, I thought rather higher of Nova’s ability. Certainly at least above delivering a package without fail.”

“Yes, indeed. By all rights it should have been a very easy mission.” Hitori gave Talitha a serious glance. “Unless there were, you might say, complications.”

“Complications… such as?”

“Such as the possibility certain details were divulged outside their necessary scope.”

“Are you suggesting there’s traitor in the White Temple?” Talitha looked less than pleased. “I suppose that explains why you decided to come straight to me.”

“Yes, of course, though I wouldn’t go so far as to say a traitor,” Hitori said. “Merely that someone may have spoken carelessly. We can’t be sure the leak even came from inside the Temple, as there’s reason to suspect the lab was compromised as well.”

“So Nova’s usual abundance of caution.”

“No, not quite,” Hitori said. Talitha looked at him curiously. “What do you know about what happened last night.”

“Kalindi’s report was somewhat… sparse.”

“The woman who stole the Ex Stone was similar to a Paladin in both appearance and natural strength, and we believe she may have been working for someone known as Reaper.”

“Reaper?” Talitha said. “Ah, I see the connection, but no one has gone by that name here in the last four centuries.”

“True, but no one’s gone by it anywhere else either. Farming’s not the most glamorous profession.”

“It was a rather unusual title,” she said mostly to herself, then turned back to Hitori. “I see your concern, though I know very little myself. If you are looking for a more modern connection you can try the library.” She hummed. “Brother Manetho may also be of some use. He has a passion for early Paladin history, Reaper in particular, so if someone is using that name he is likely to know.”

“Thank you very much,” Hitori said.

“Of course,” Talitha said. “I’ll have Sister Fáelán give you a pass to the Archive. You should find the chaplain there at this hour.”

 


 

The elevator rumbled down to lowest level in the White Temple, three floors underground. Hitori and Elvira stepped into a dark passage and looked around. The only light came from a scattering of electric lamps. They shone like flickering candles.

To his right, Hitori saw a long corridor, whose end vanished in shadow. In front of him lay another hallway leading to the second elevator. It was only a minute’s walk, but in the dim air the far door seemed a world away.

Elvira hummed next to him, then said, “I see why she didn’t want to come down here.”

“Sister Fáelán?”

“Yeah, Brígh. Anyway, this place gives me the creeps, let’s hurry up and find Mr. Manetho.”

Hitori laughed and stepped to the right. Elvira tucked beside him as he walked. Randomly spaced doors lined either side of the hallway, most coated with a fine layer of dust. After a few turns they heard a faint voice echoing up the corridor. Hitori motioned for Elvira to remain silent as he took a few steps ahead.

Is that…?

Hitori canted his head and closed his eyes. He could make out two voices, too distorted to understand, but… did someone say his name? He signaled for Elvira to stay put and out of sight, then quietly ran down the hall. As he approached the corner he pulled a small mirror from a pouch.

He kneeled down and used it to look down the corridor. Two men stood talking on the other end. He couldn’t make out what they were saying, but one was an old Bachijan man in a long robe. Judging by his dress that was likely Brother Manetho. The other wore loose clothing common to desert bandits, but was somewhat taller than a typical Bachijan.

About halfway down the passage was a deep alcove, possibly another hallway. In any case it was almost completely immersed in shadow. They didn’t seem to be looking his way, so Hitori took a risk with his Dash Tech to pop into place in the blink of an eye. He smiled. A teacher once scolded him for spending Vital Memory augmenting his Dash Tech, but tuning it for stealth paid off.

Yes, yes, you’re very clever. Now be a dear and get a better look at the rogue.

Hitori poked his head out enough to see both men. They were chatting in a familiar manner about business in the city. Hitori supposed they had to mean in Bachija, but he didn’t recognize the districts. From here it was clear the old man was the historian, but the other had his head covered by a hood.

He was very animated, gesturing wildly, suggesting a foreigner. He also had a slight accent, too indistinct for Hitori to guess his origin. Eventually, the man happened to turn his head far to the left.

Virgil.

His blood ran cold. He clenched his teeth and pressed into the wall.

You! … Simpering! … Home wrecking! …

He ducked into the hallway. Where were these feeling coming from?

That son of a bitch ruined everything. Go back out there! I’ll kill him!

Hitori took a few deep breaths, as quiet as he could manage.

Insubordinate brat! He took her from me! Let me out you insufferable bastard!

After a moment Hitori was able to calm down, though he had no idea what brought on the emotional outburst. Unfortunately, whatever it was, it caused him to miss the end of the conversation. Hitori tucked into the shadows, expecting the suspicious man to walk past. To his surprise the moment never came. He checked the hallway.

They were gone. He stepped to the edge of the junction. Looking left, he saw the old man shuffling towards an open door. Bright light from inside flooded the corridor. That would be his office. In the other direction there was no one to be seen.

Hitori stared down the passage in wonder. That way led into an underground annex, and according to the map, one with no way out. Problems for later. For now he returned to Elvira, who eyed him with relief as he stepped into view.

“What did you find?” She asked as he approached. After a moment she added. “Uh, Hitori, you alright there boss?”

He looked up. “Oh, yes, I… think I found a lead.”

Are you going after that jackass? Don’t bother. He’s nothing… don’t even know why he’s here…

“Really? Did you run into to Mr. Manetho?”

“No.” Hitori shook his head. “Not quite anyway. For now let’s grab the rest of the team.”

 


 

“How good do you think security is down here?” Chandra asked. They were standing in front a giant metal door embedded into a rock wall. It was the round kind that would roll into the wall to open.

“You asking us?” Gordon said.

“It was never a concern for me,” she shrugged, a hint of color touched her cheeks.

“Haven’t seen any cameras,” Hitori said. “I suppose this level isn’t worth guarding.”

“That doesn’t make this door very promising,” Protius said.

“That man had to go somewhere, and this could lead outside the temple.”

“You really think he’s connected to the stone?” Elvira said.

“I… he’s definitely suspicious enough to check out.” He said. She noticed Hitori shook his head a little during the pause. It was an odd habit of his, and she wondered what secret thoughts he kept.

“Maybe,” Gordon said. “Won’t matter if we can’t beat the door.”

“Chandra?” Hitori said. He motioned to an electronic panel attached to the frame.

“I probably shouldn’t,” she replied. “Although I am dreadfully curious too. Junior Paladins have been arguing over crazy theories for ages.”

“What’s supposed to be behind it?” Elvira asked.

“The chaplains say it’s an old storehouse,” Chandra said. “From before the Temple became our headquarters.”

“And it’s no wonder the kids don’t believe such a boring story,” a voice said from behind them. The whole team turned in alarm. Elvira barely resisted a yelp. An old man stood laughing in front of her.

“Brother Herodotus!” Chandra said. “I-I mean, Hero. I was— ah, we were—“

“Taking your friends on a tour, of course,” the old man said with a toothy smile. He looked over Elvira and the others. “This big door is quite the attraction. Anyway, I’m pleased to see you with such a charming looking bunch. Are they treating you well, my dear.”

“Y-yes, of course,” Chandra smiled faintly and blushed.

“Wonderful, wonderful.” Manetho patted her arm gently before turning to Hitori. “I heard a pair of young mercenaries was coming my way, and when none arrived I figured I’d better stretch my old legs a little and make sure they hadn’t gotten lost.”

“Apologies for worrying you,” Hitori said. “I’ve never been here before, so I was curious about the layout.” He smiled. “Mercenary habit.”

“Of course, of course.” The brother grinned. “A terribly adventurous sort, mercenaries.”

“So what’s behind it old man?” Gordon said. Hitori cut him a sharp glare.

“You really need me to tell you?”

“No.” Gordon continued to stare at Manetho expectantly. The two locked eyes a moment, before the Paladin laughed.

“Oh, later, later,” he said. “How about you all tell me why you’re here first.”

“The High Chaplain suggested you were the one to ask about Reaper,” Hitori said.

“Reaper?” Manetho said. Elvira caught a glimmer of amusement in his eyes. “Yes, I suppose I would be the one to ask. I can’t imagine why you’d need to know about him though.”

“We have reason to believe someone is operating under that name. Given its rarity, a connection to the White Temple seems likely.”

“Hm, very interesting. Unfortunately, there’s not much to tell. Even when he was alive Reaper was a mysterious figure. He came, seemingly out of nowhere, with the first Paladins in tow, protecting people from metafauna. At the time their abilities seemed almost miraculous.

“At some point they must have passed on the title to a trusted successor, as Reaper continued well into the dawn of the second century, which would have made him more than a hundred years old.”

“That’s hardly impossible,” Elvira said.

“It is for a Paladin,” Manetho said.

“It is? Why?”

“Paladins have very high malhahon concentrations in their body,” Protius said, “because of how their Vital Net works. It causes cumulative damage over time, and since their VN’s are unable to add new restructors it eventually overwhelms them.”

“It happens some time in their eighties,” Manetho added.

“So… does that mean… I—“ Elvira began.

“Chandra is going to die before we do?” Hitori said.

“Ah, uh, yeah.”

“Probably not, average life expectancy is around there anyway.”

“Yes, yes, of course.” Elvira nodded a little too vigorously.

“Anyway,” Hitori said to Manetho. ”I believe you were telling us about Reaper?”

“Indeed,” he replied. “Not that there is much left to tell. Around the year one hundred and ten AV, Reaper abandoned the White Temple and was never seen again.”

“Up and left for the fun of it?” Gordon said.

“The records suggest she was dissatisfied with the treaty between the temples.”

“The official records?” Hitori said. Manetho grinned and nodded. “What about the unofficial ones?”

“Now, that’s what’s so very interesting,” Manetho said. “If you’ll allow me to be so bold to admit a measure of my own… curiosity. I happen to know about your mission, or rather, about the objective thereof.”

Hitori eyed him cautiously. “Go on.”

“You see, the Ex Stone was in large part designed by none other than Reaper himself. He designed it as a tool to protect and enrich Esper, but the White Temple saw it as a weapon to use against their enemies, like the Black Temple, but in particular metafauna. With it they saw a path to their total extinction.”

“Why would that be a problem?” Chandra said. “I mean, I don’t see why Reaper would object. Protecting Esper from metafauna was the whole reason for founding the White Temple in the first place, right?”

“That is a fair point,” Manetho said. “And it would be far better, for humans at least. But Reaper, well, over time, he came to believe metafauna had as valid a claim to the world as anyone. Or, at least valid enough to be unworthy of genocide.”

Chandra frowned. “Aren’t metafauna the result of malfunctioning Vital Nets?”

Manetho shrugged. “I suppose you need to decide for yourself if that matters.”

“How do you know all this?” Hitori asked.

“Oh, places like this”—he winked—“have many connections to history. Much to be learned down here.”

“That is very interesting,” Hitori said. He and the historian shared a long look.

Manetho turned away and laughed. ”Anyway, I recall a promise to show you what’s behind the gate.” He walked to the panel and punched a few buttons. A series of heavy mechanical clanks rumbled through the doorframe. A high pitched ring slowly faded to silence.

“Gonna move sometime today?” Gordon said.

“Now, now, the locks are only part of the security,” the old Paladin said. He moved to a panel on the door itself and revealed a heavy steel bar, then wrenched it into place. “It usually takes a burly lad or two to push this thing open. Let’s see if I’ve still got it.”

Manetho slid the robe off his shoulders and stretched the hunch out of his back. His bones crinkled in time with the flexing of his muscles. He was wearing now only his leather sandals and the knee length skirt common to Bachijans. To Elvira’s surprise he was even bulkier than she was.

He let out a deep breath. “Alright, stand back kids.” Manetho braced himself against the floor, then in one motion pushed the bar hard enough roll the door into its nook. “Ah, still got it.” He pulled his robe back on then motioned forward. “So, what do you think?”

Elvira stared into the space beyond the door. The dim light barely penetrated the murky shadows on the other side. It did at least seem to be some kind of passage into the rock, though it was unclear if it was natural or artificial.

“Spooky tunnel,” Gordon said. “Good to know.”

“Would you like to explore it?” Manetho said playfully.

“And get locked in?”

“Now what would be the point of that. Sister Adina would scold me harshly if something was broken down here,” he said, then added, “And it wouldn’t be that funny anyway.”

Gordon glared at him.

“Actually, I think it’s not worth checking out,” Hitori said.

Manetho glanced at him in surprise. “Is that so?” He seemed hurt. “I thought you’d be more curious.”

Hitori gave the Paladin a bewildered look. “What do you mean?”

“We going in or not?” Gordon said.

“That’s what I just said!” Hitori frowned. “I think it would be worth exploring.” He shook his head, then smiled. “I mean, when else are we going to get a chance like this?”

Gordon sighed.

“What’s supposed to be down there?” Protius asked.

“Alas, the real story isn’t much more interesting than the cover,” Manetho said. “A few hundred years ago a Sandworm crashed into the foundations of the Temple, punching a hole in the East Annex. The tunnel was sealed with this gate in case the Temple wanted to make use of it.”

“Does it connect to more passages,” Chandra said.

“Indeed. Sometimes a few metafauna find their way inside, so it’s best the Initiates don’t go wandering around. I’m sure a handful of strapping young mercenaries shouldn’t have any problems though.”

“Alright everyone,” Hitori said. “We might as well investigate it while we’re here.”

“I’ll be sure to leave the door open,” Manetho said. “For as long as you need it.”

0