Chapter 21
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They had been traveling for about a half hour after leaving the mesa where Elvira and the others met Virgil and Reaper. Elvira couldn’t help but feel uneasy each time Reaper cast a quick glance her way. He had a hard time accepting Nova took a supposedly ordinary girl who couldn’t even use a Longstrider Tech into their company.

He was, at least, very polite about it, not asking uncomfortable questions when he found out they would have to walk the whole distance. Virgil didn’t seem to mind at all. He spent most of the journey doing his best to get to know the whole team. Everyone warmed up to him. Everyone except Hitori. The team captain kept his answers short and his questions cutting.

Still, on average, Elvira rather enjoyed the time with them, so she was perhaps a little disappointed when they reached what appeared to be their destination. They walked around a low mesa, to a pile of heavy boulders.

“Before we go any further,” Reaper said.  “You must swear not to reveal anything you see going forward.”

“Come on,” Virgil said. “You can’t expect the city to stay a secret forever.”

“What city?” Elvira asked.

Reaper glared at Virgil. He awkwardly scratched the back of his head. Reaper turned to the team and said, “Promise not to speak carelessly about this. The city isn’t exactly… as resilient as it needs to be.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem,” Hitori said. His team added various agreements.

Reaper turned to Chandra. “You’re the one I need the most assurance from.”

“Discretion is fundamental to a Paladin’s duty,” she said. After Reaper continued to stare she added, “But I promise to keep whatever this is a secret.”

“What’s this about, anyway?” Protius said.

Virgil smiled. “You’ll see.” With that, he approached the rock wall and placed a silver token against it. A glimmering wave rippled from the disc to one of the nearby boulders. The ground and air beneath it glowed, then it rolled out of place, revealing a dark tunnel.

“What?” Chandra said. “How did you get the World Net to do something like that?”

“There are many things the White Temple doesn’t understand,” Reaper said. “Now please follow me, and… try not to make any sudden movements. People here are unaccustomed to… visitors.”

With that Hitori and his team were lead into the long passage. It slowly spiraled deep underground, illuminated by dim lamps that glowed as they approached and winked out after they passed. Elvira guessed they were a kind of natural arte.

Eventually they found themselves in a wide chamber carved from the rock, though not with great skill. Several other tunnels branched off, with bright light and chaotic noise pouring in from the largest off to the left.

“Alright kids,” Virgil said as he ushered them forward. “Try to contain your excitement.”

Hitori led his team through the main tunnel, and he was the only one not to stop after they cleared the far side of it. Elvira had to gently push her way through Gordon and Chandra to get to the front. She gasped.

In the center of a massive underground chamber was a bustling market. A multitude of wooden stalls were arranged haphazardly, with a dizzying array of goods on display from every category imaginable. In many ways it was no different from the market Elvira passed earlier that day, except for the remarkable fact it was populated entirely by a variety of metafauna.

“Pretty cool, eh?” Virgil said to her. “I was blown away the first time I saw it too.”

“I- I don’t understand,” Chandra said. “This level of behavior has never been observed before. How long has this been here?”

“Almost a century,” Reaper said. “Although I have to confess the Templar had a part in making it happen.”

“The Templar?” Hitori asked.

“It’s the organization we work for,” Virgil said. “Well, the one I work for. I suppose Reaper is in charge.”

“We are an offshoot of the White Temple,” Reaper said. “From around four hundred years ago.”

“I believe Manetho was hinting at that,” Hitori said. “Something to do with the Ex Stone.”

“That’s correct. The leader of the Temple at that time, known as Reaper as well, left before finishing the design, and founded the Templar to carry on their work. We lacked the resources to finish the stone, but when the White Temple happened to get it done, well….”

“You had an agent follow us, and she took it when she saw an opportunity.”

“Ieset has always been rather… proactive,” Reaper said. “I scolded her fiercely for tipping you off, but it worked out.”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself,” Hitori said. “I assume you want our help, but we haven’t agreed to anything.”

“Only yours,” Reaper said. “Though you are right, we have yet to discuss my request. Please, follow me. The Templar have an office nearby where we can talk.”

They followed Reaper through the busy market. Every metafauna watched as they passed, and more than a few came up to Reaper. They would speak briefly in an unknown language, then depart apparently satisfied.

Almost every creature Elvira saw was an anthropomorphized animal, mostly of the desert variety. There were a few bird like creatures fluttering between the stalls, but every other one walked on two legs and had a pair of hands. She took a few quick steps to Reaper’s side.

“Is there a reason they all look vaguely human?” Elvira asked.

“That’s a good question,” Reaper said. “There is—or rather, there’s believed to be—a property of the Vital Net that biases changes towards a human shape.”

“So, like, the smarter they are, the more human they look?”

“I would suppose it’s the other way around, though admittedly the Vital Net was not designed with, ah, let’s call it particularly good software logs. A mistake in its creation.”

“I think there were a lot of those,” Elvira said.

“Yes, indeed.”

When it seemed Reaper had nothing more to say, Elvira drifted back to her team. She settled next to Gordon, who was the only one interested in conversation. They chatted a bit, speculating on the esoteric items on display. Elvira thought most were purely decorative, where Gordon suspected the bulk were Wild Artes or tags.

Before long they arrived at what could be generously called the Templar’s office. It was a simple pair of chambers attached to a small path near the market. The front room had a desk with a young woman behind it. She had white hair and silver eyes, and watched them enter with keen interest. Hitori gave her a hard look.

“There’s been a change of plans with the mercenaries,” Reaper said. He turned to face the team, motioning towards the silver eyed woman. “This is Ieset. She was the one watching over you.” He then gestured at the mercenaries. “And this is Hitori and…. I never got the rest of your names.”

The others introduced themselves, then followed Reaper into the back room. Inside they found a wide table surrounded by hardwood chairs.

Once they were sat close together, Reaper said, “Alright, let’s get to business.”

“First question,” Hitori said. “Where is the Ex Stone.”

“Not far. We have it somewhere isolated from the global web.”

“Why?” Protius said. “Are you hiding it from someone?”

Reaper hummed. “That ties into our request,” he said. “Virgil, could you handle the explanation?”

“Sure thing, boss,” Virgil said. He turned to face the mercenaries. “So, how much do you know about Arteficer history?”

“They predate Paladins by several decades,” Protius said. “They formed before most of the population died from the Fade, though I was always a bit skeptical about that. I mean, if the stories are to be believed, every major principle of modern arte design was developed in less than a decade.”

Virgil smiled. “And what exactly is suspicious about that?”

“It’s way too fast, it’s like they knew everything there was to know about artes before they even got started. It should have taken them that long to discover the properties of malhahons.”

“You’re a smart kid,” Virgil said. Protius blushed. “How much do you know about the founder?”

“Of the Black Temple?” Protius said. “Some guy, right? Very creative and insightful. Died in the first century.”

“And his successor?”

“Wasn’t he ousted from his position?” Elvira said. “By his subordinates. They didn’t like how he’d handled the war with the White Temple.”

“Yes, that’s what the history books tell us,” Virgil said. “But what if I told you they were the same person?”

“I would be a little incredulous,” Protius said. “And not only because it would be a strange thing to lie about.”

“How much do you know about Dr. Magnus?” Virgil said. Protius eyed him warily.

“He was the scientist in charge of designing the restructors, wasn’t he?” Elvira said.

“One of them,” Reaper said.

“And he was also the founder of the Black Temple,” Virgil said.

“Now that’s pushing it,” Protius said. “Dr. Magnus was at least fifty at the start of the Fading. I’ve never heard of anyone living to one hundred and seventy.”

“Then you’ll really be amazed when I tell you he’s still alive.”

No one responded for a few seconds.

“That… that has to be impossible,” Elvira said. “No one could possibly live that long.”

“Well, it might be more accurate to say he’s only technically alive,” Virgil said. “You see, the doctor was not so fortunate as to be immune to the Fade. He was, however, the only person with the knowledge to determine the cause and the skills to develop a solution.”

“A solution?” Chandra said. “Like, a cure?”

“I don’t think I’d describe it like that. I’m sure you know that in addition to causing insanity and death, the disease also gave its victims an intuition for artes. Most people didn’t know how to use that insight, but Magnus did. He realized if his entire body was made out of malhahons it would halt the process.”

“Like with the Shifting Arte?” Protius said.

“Yes, or rather a version of it.”

“Fallen asleep yet?” Gordon said under his breath to Hitori, nudging him in the side. Hitori gave him a flat look, then leaned in to address Virgil.

“I don’t see where this history lesson is going,” Hitori said. “And I can’t rightly say I care who’s running the Black Temple.”

“Oh, the doctor isn’t in charge,” Virgil said. “He really was ousted from power, and even locked away, but not for the given reasons. It turned out Dr. Magnus’s solution to the Fade was not so complete as he thought. He somehow became convinced we had to destroy the world to save Esper.”

“How does that make sense?” Gordon asked.

“It didn’t, that’s why the Black Temple joined forces with the Paladins to stop him.”

“I’ve never heard of this,” Chandra said.

“The White Temple didn’t keep any records,” Reaper said. “I guess they felt collaborating with their enemy after a long and troublesome war might anger people more than they already were.”

“But why did the Black Temple need their help at all?” Protius said.

“I don’t think you appreciate how powerful Faded Arteficers were,” Reaper said. “They didn’t wield invisible little tools, but instead practically manifested power at will, and Magnus was the worst by far.

“There are a few recordings from that time, battles between him and the last remnants of the other Faded,” Virgil said. ”It’s apocalyptic stuff. I’m talking burning skies and seas of flame. You can still see his handiwork in the Umbra Mountains, south of Duroterra.”

“Weren’t those volcanoes?” Elvira said.

“Nope, just him.”

“And that’s why the Curse Arte was made,” Reaper said. “It closed off his natural connection to the local web and trapped him in a halfway state between malhahon and matter. Or, put another way, it greatly weakened him and made him vulnerable to bright light.”

“I’m assuming he kept all his insight and experience?” Protius said. “And that’s why the Black Temple kept him around in spite of the danger.”

“That would be my guess,” Reaper said.

“I’m still not seeing how this is related to the Ex Stone,” Hitori said. “Or our mission.”

“Ah, yes, apologies. There’s a lot of background information,” Reaper said. “It also doesn’t help that you are a dreadfully curious lot. In any case, to bring us to the point, the core principles of the Ex Stone were developed at the White Temple, centuries ago, but the finished design was handled at the Black Temple, by Dr. Magnus himself.”

“That does explain why the White Temple went through so much trouble to conceal their involvement,” Hitori said.

“Yes, unfortunately it also opened up several opportunities for the doctor,” Reaper said. “He made major additions to the design, one of which gave you a great deal of trouble recently.”

“The monster wasn’t the point?” Gordon said.

“No, that was Magnus’s handiwork. We have been analyzing the Ex Stone since last night, and it seems that was a function meant to activate the first time malhahons are fed into the crystal. I would guess he intended for it to head to his prison in the Black Temple and break him out.”

“Is… is that the only thing he added?” Hitori asked.

“There are several other components we’ve identified,” Reaper said. “Though as of yet we haven’t determined most of their purposes. We are certain one of them is a homing beacon, which ties nicely into our request. Dr. Magnus has something of ours, and we need it back.”

“And you mean to use the Ex Stone as bait?”

“Exactly.”

“How’d the dude get out in the first place?” Gordon asked. “Weird monster didn’t get far.” Elvira nodded with him, she’d also been curious about that.

Reaper spent a few minutes explaining how a Seitojin agent broke into the Black Temple and had their body taken over by Magnus.

“We believe it was a young girl,” Virgil added. “Though we don’t know what she looked like, or even if she’ll look the same now. The doctor may have figured out how to overcome his weakness to light, but we doubt he’s found a cure for the Curse Arte. Whatever body he’s in is wasting away.”

“Oh, that poor girl,” Chandra said.

“She’s long dead by now,” Reaper said. “Nothing left but a puppet, assuming Magnus hasn’t already found a new host.”

“What he take anyway?” Gordon asked. “And how’d he swipe it in the first place.”

“It would be more accurate to say he got to it before us,” Virgil said. “And it’s a Crystal Arte known as the Reaping Stone.”

“Sounds familiar.” Gordon peered at Reaper, who ignored him.

“I’m guessing my part in this plot is the hook,” Hitori said.

“Yes,” Virgil said. “We believe you are uniquely suited for the role.”

“I think there’s a lot more to discuss about that little detail.” He stood up. Elvira noticed him frown and shake his head a little. “But for now, I think it’s a great plan.”

Gordon laughed. “Try-hard much?”

Hitori looked at him in confusion, then frowned harder. “I meant I think it’s a plan, certainly, but this has gotten far too complicated to decide on alone.”

“You can talk it out with your team,” Reaper said. “There’s no great hurry.”

“No, I meant you can take it up with the Headmaster. I’m sure Mr. Foster could help you find someone more suited for the job too.”

“Don’t sell yourself short, kid,” Virgil said. “I’m sure you’re—“

Hitori cut him off. “Like I said, take it up with my boss. You can follow us to Nova Academy and I’ll introduce you.” He motioned for his team to stand up.

“Giving up on your mission?” Reaper said. “I thought Nova types were more persistent.”

Reaper and Hitori shared a glare.

“Ah, come on guys,” Virgil said, standing between them. He looked off to the side a second with a flat look, then shook his head. He turned to Reaper. “Let’s go with them and ask. What’s the worst that could happen?”

Reaper stared at Virgil a few seconds, then relaxed with a sigh. “Oh, fine. Let’s go.”

 


 

The boy slept peacefully in his cot. He was onboard an airship, flying to the city of Mairtala to introduce the mysterious Reaper to Nova’s miserable headmaster, Foster. Unfortunately, the simpering toad Virgil came along too. She was not at all looking forward to having the two loathsome creatures together in the same room.

Was there a way to crash their ship into the ocean? Being eaten by a Leviathan didn’t sound bad by comparison.

She laughed.

Or, well, she meant to, but all she got was the vague impression of it. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d heard laughter from her own lips.

In fact, she couldn’t remember the last time she had lips. Her ThreadLine Arte could do many things, but she couldn’t figure out how Wickham controlled those other metafauna. The Ex Stone, on the other hand….

In any case, she found herself in a peculiar predicament.

Who was she? I’m Maia… right?

Was that it? Was she the infamous ex-Nova mercenary Maia Seishin? Her memories supported the idea, up until they didn’t. Maia was unlikely to remember looking at herself from the eyes of… her son.

Am I… the boy?

She looked down at him. He was a misty figure in a world of shadows. She could see faint yellow tendrils radiating from Wickham’s tag, the one Dr. Magnus called the Oracle Stone, sitting in his hand.

If the pit of disgust in her proverbial chest was any indication, she couldn’t be him either.

If she wasn’t Maia, and she wasn’t the boy, was she no one at all?

Perhaps she was someone else entirely, someone new. Is that possible? But where did I come from?

A process of a Vital Net? Given her antagonistic relationship with the boy’s that seemed unlikely. Could she be a side effect of Maia’s strange power? That was the only remaining option she could imagine. She didn’t know a great deal about artecraft, but conversation with Virgil suggested something like it was possible.

An intelligence born entirely of malhahons, and largely twinned from Maia Seishin. She supposed that made them something like sisters.

But who am I? What is my name?

A man, Dr. Magnus in fact, asked her that… recently. At the time she feigned an air of secrecy, but in truth the question caught her off guard. That was first time she’d been free since… ever. That she might be in need of a name was a novel concept. So far she’d put off the question, content instead to wander Esper with the ThreadLine Arte whenever the boy happened to keep it near to hand.

A recent discovery, concerning that same man, created for her an opportunity. One that would be much easier to take advantage of if she could introduce herself. Also, being a nameless ghost is lame.

Not long ago, in fact only a few hours ago by the boy’s reckoning, she had been thinking of… a friend. A young man she grew up with named Hitori Taira. He once made an offer to… her sister, and she refused. Instead, ultimately, she ended up crushing his dream with her own hands.

But that was Maia’s choice. What would her own have been? Even now, she could still picture him, still recall his handsome face, his warm smile. He was the point where she and her sister diverged. Maia would go on to fall in with that odious Virgil character, but to her, Hitori had not been so easy to let go.

Hitori would never be able to see the world he dreamed of, but it wasn’t too late for her to accept his request. He wanted her to join House Taira as its Captain, as his right hand. That is, to become Taira Hitori-Gensui. Maia was too soft, too rational, to get caught up in such a mad scheme, but she didn’t share that weakness.

She felt a fire burning in her, one that threatened to wake the boy, but she let it hang for a moment, to revel in it. She would do it. She would take Hitori’s cause, and the name Mihari—a traditional name for a House Captain, and one with a pleasant similarity to Hitori’s.

Her passion flared even higher, and the boy shifted in his bunk.

Mihari stilled herself. There would be time for jubilance later, for now, she had work to do. First, she needed an appointment with the much maligned Dr. Magnus. They had business to attend to.

 


 

It had been many years since Morgan crafted a piece of arteware. In fact, it had been at least four hundred, unless he happened to make some trifle during his imprisonment. He was doing it again now and the process was surprisingly awkward considering he literally invented it.

His work bench was a simple metal table, and his shop a peculiar room. Several esoteric devices lined the white walls, in deference to the largest and strangest of them, which sat on a raised platform. The abundant signage was deceptively promising, as even with the benefit of a translator the purpose of the machines remained a mystery.

The chamber was inside the complex known in his time as the Eternal Archive, and this wasn’t his first time here. His research discovered the facility, and set the world on the path of inevitable destruction. It would be a fitting place to finally set everything right. For now he had to finish the needed tool.

“You mean the Unity Crystal?” Kimi said to him. Well, more like she thought it at him, but she judged him whenever he fretted over the distinction.

“I’m not a fan of that name,” Morgan said. He continued working despite the interruption.

“It’s a million times better than ‘GAX’, at least,” Kimi said. “And what’s not to like? It unifies three Crystal Artes into one.”

“Technically, the Oracle Stone is an ODA. And besides, it’s not made from crystal, this is artewood.”

“Yeah, I know, you love your technicalities, but sometimes you gotta have style.”

Morgan hummed. “That… is good advice, though I’m not sure it will do me any good.”

Kimi chuckled. “You’ll have more time to use it than I will, at least.”

He paused a moment, but continued working when he felt Kimi glaring at him, or at least intending to. He was using her body for arteweaving, so it would be best to finish quickly.

As he worked, he could feel Kimi watching him intently. It was her usual habit, something likely picked up from her… history, though Morgan didn’t mind. It was nice, in its own way, like having an apprentice again. It was a shame she w—

“You’ve made a lot of progress, haven’t you?” Kimi said.

“Not… as much as I would like,” Morgan said.

“But quite a lot. Don’t these things take years to make?”

“Usually, but most of that time is spent designing and prototyping. I’ve been preparing to make the, uh, Unity Crystal for longer than you’ve been alive. I thought about this so much I could make it in my sleep.”

Kimi grinned. “Please don’t, you’d be even more boring that way.”

Morgan laughed. “You’re not very generous in your compliments.”

“I can’t say I’ve had—“ she cut off at a shift from Morgan. He let go of her body for the moment. “What is it?”

“Our friend is back.”

“I knew we’d see her again,” Kimi said. “Do you have it set up so that I can hear her this time?”

“Yes, should be,” Morgan said. “And she still shouldn’t be able to hear you, though I’m not sure why you insisted on that.”

“Trust me, it’s better that way. Go ahead and put her on.”

She felt Morgan activate an arte. After a moment she heard him speak, though it wasn’t clear as usual.

“It’s good to hear from you again,” Morgan said.

“We have much to discuss,” the woman said. Kimi was hoping to gain some hint from her voice, but asides from confirming their mysterious stalker could speak Mairtalan, there wasn’t much to go on.

“Ask for her name,” Kimi said.

“Ah, well, if we’re going to talk business, perhaps it’s time for a formal introduction. I’m Dr. Morgan Magnus, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” Morgan could feel disapproval radiating from Kimi.

“I already knew that,” the woman said in a sly tone. “You’re infamous in the right circles. It is, however, a pleasure to meet you regardless. I am Taira Hitori-Gensui, though you may call me Mihari, if you prefer.”

“Gensui?” Kimi said, mostly to herself. “She’s a right hand? But the head of Taira House isn’t named Hitori.”

“Well, Mihari, I take it you’re interested in sharing that arte with us?” Morgan said.

“You mean the Oracle Stone?” Mihari said. “Yes, I may be willing to part with it, for a time, but our business goes well beyond such a trifle. You see, I’ve come with a warning… and an opportunity.”

0