Chapter 11: An Ordinary Father
171 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Under the full moon, Carlo was dragging Lemma and Lawrence into a dark alleyway near the mall. He aggressively pushes Lawrence into a corner and with huge panic in his eyes, he yells at Lawrence,

"WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT LEMMA?! HUH?! WHY DO YOU KNOW?" He, then, mumbles to himself, "I knew it was a mistake, I wanted to bring her to a better university, but of course it's impossible that they wouldn't know. Maybe there really is no escape? Why did I trust Yuuta? Is it time to move again?" He slams his hand into the wall, making it bleed, "FUCKING DAMN IT!"

Lemma defends Lawrence by going in front of her dad. "DON'T HURT HIM, DAD! YOU'RE MAKING A MISTAKE!" Lemma's begging to his father fell into deaf ears, a side of Carlo that she never saw before. 

"HORACE ZY! IT'S HIS FAULT! THEY RUINED MY FIRST-" As he was shouting, he sees the tears in Lemma's eyes. 

"I-I'm sorry, Lemma..." Carlo embraces her with a sense of defeat. Lawrence was on the ground crying in silence from fear he never felt before. "Dad..."

Carlo faces Lawrence and asks him again, "What do you know about her?" 

"S-sh-she just showed me her lack of heartbeat, that's all... please don't hurt me!" Carlo falls to the ground and cackles loudly, blending into the noisy city buzzing on the background. "Of course! The sins of the father doesn't apply to their children," he said to himself. 

Composing himself, he finally acts like a responsible father and asks him, "She showed you, huh... what are you doing with Lemma, young man?" 

"I was just curious about robots, seeing them always from my home. I just never saw anything like Lemma. She looks like a human, talks like a human, but she has no heart. I was just interested..."

"Hahaha! Of course a young boy like you would be interested in robots." He pats the boy in the head. "Well, it's 8:00pm and time for us to go home." Before he and Lemma walked out into the main street, he gives Lawrence a warning.

"Don't ever talk about today, Lemma, or me-" He, then pulls a gun from the pocket of his tattered pants and points it at Lawrence, saying, "or I will END you and your entire family." Lawrence was just frozen in fear.


After arriving at home and talking about school with her mom, Ile, Lemma and Carlo went into the basement room. Carlo makes Lemma sit into the upgrade chair and faces her with an expression she never saw before. 

"Lemma... it's time I told you about what I truly am. You must be constantly asking how can you, a robot, live on the slums." She nods. "Why do we have this crazy room? Are we really poor? What are you, dad? Why do you have a gun? What am I?"

"Hah, look at you. You've grown this much to ask such questions. Are you ready?" She nods.

"I... am a murderer."

6