Chapter 70: Revenge
973 7 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first part of the plan was to see if there were any insiders who was involved with James’ operation.

This led Liumiala to finding one in the imperial court. He wasn’t just an associate who was part of the operation but he and James had done a number of crimes in the past which included human trafficking, narcotics production and illegal magic item smuggling.

Their crimes were part of what caused most of the empire’s economic decline in recent years. James had founded his own underground organization in the past—some of the members were the people who had just exited James’ mansion.

‘Two birds with one stone. I’ll leave it to Liumiala to get rid of the others.’

Arnold wasn’t interested in dealing with a small organization. Their crimes didn’t affect him so he didn’t care.

Since James was his primary target, nothing else mattered.

“—I advise you to just confess to your crimes, James Caervil,” the official said for the nth time. James had kept denying everything even as his crimes were being listed, “You are only wasting everyone’s time. None of these good people would like to stay until morning, correct?”

Many of them nodded.

“Confess, you scum!”

“Yeah! It’s because of you that our streets are full of criminals!”

“Our children aren’t safe on the streets because of you!”

“Die!”

“Kill him!”

The crowd sure is getting heated, thought Arnold.

“Must I repeat his offences, young lord?”

“No. Let’s just list the names of who was involved. I will hand out punishments then.”

“Understood.” The official took out another bundle of documents, “Those involved will lose their title of nobility as it is within the court’s right to punish you so,”

The nobles gave a strong reaction, “What!? But we didn’t plan the duke’s son’s murder!”

“I only gave money for support!”

“Shut the fuck up!” Arnold summoned his Aura Sword as a wave of power surged out of his body, “Say another word then I’ll cut off all your heads regardless of what you did! This is fucking mercy for you! Be grateful that I can’t outright kill you all because of the Empire’s laws!”

The ones who had mouthed out in protest now shut their mouths.

“Eek!” Even the crowd was frightened by Arnold’s killing intent.

“Continue.”

“Y-Yes,” the official spoke again, “the territories you have gained throughout your years as nobles will be given to Great Noble Marcus von Berkley. This excludes James Caervil as his territory will be handed to this young man.”

The official pointed at Arnold who was confidently smirking.

Meaning that Arnold now owned James’ villages and regions he had bought or built over the years. Even if Arnold’s city was on the other side of the empire, James’ territory would be in his name so no one would be able to take it.

“What!? But I worked hard as well to amass the wealth we have today! James isn’t the only one who brought food to the table!” a woman wearing a black dress exclaimed. She was holding onto the little girl who Arnold presumed to be James’ daughter, “Please do not take away that much!”

“Hah? You expect me to give it up just because you asked?” Arnold spat on the ground in distaste as he approached the woman.

“Although,” he looked her up and down, “why not become my wife and I’ll let you have a share of the lands? It’s a win-win, right? I get your body and you get money. Your daughters can also become my lovers if they want to.”

Arnold looked at the official who said, “Technically, yes.”

“Hear that?” Arnold put his finger on her chin, “Did you really have three kids? Your body looks amazing.”

“Kuh…!” She glared at him with hateful eyes but didn’t pull away.

She seemed to know that there was nothing she could do to stop this. The woman closed her eyes and puckered her lips but Arnold threw her face aside.

“I lost interest.”

A look of disbelief was on the woman’s face before her entire face flushed red as she stomped her feet.

Arnold looked at every member of James’ family. James’ father was only looking at his son with dead eyes. The two older daughters were hugging each other and crying.

There was another person who was standing next to the mansion. It seemed that she came from the back of the house. That person was wearing a nightgown and she had a bandage wrapped around her entire head, with only her nose, eyes and mouth visible.

She flinched when she saw Arnold look at her.

‘Is that…’

“P-please stop…” James crawled towards Arnold and begged, “P-please… I’ll admit it… I’ll admit my crimes…”

“T-That’s right! So please spare us!”

The nobles prostrated as well. They rubbed their heads on the ground.

Arnold looked at James silently.

“Stick out your hand.”

“E-Eh?”

“Do it.”

James shakenly lifted his right hand.

The next moment, a blood-curdling scream assaulted everyone’s ears.

Arnold had cut off James’ entire hand. It was sizzling on the ground and blood spurted out of his arm.

“UAAACK!?” James rolled around on the ground, clutching his arm.

“You think I’ll just spare you because you asked me to? Is the entire Caervil family consisted of a bunch of idiots?” Arnold looked at James in disgust, “You should’ve prepared yourself to face the consequences the day you tried to conspire our household’s demise.”

There was no way Arnold would simply let James roam free.

Why?

Because there was no notification of his death flag being eliminated. Even if he wasn’t a player of the game, the notification wasn’t part of his status so it should’ve shown without him having donned his helm.

It was just like Lauran’s case.

Which meant…

‘This bastard is still planning on getting revenge.’

“I could’ve met up with my father at the banquet but I chose not to,” Arnold grabbed James by the hair, “But I wanted to do this the lawful way. This is to show everyone that I am in the right to do this. Think about it, if it were my father then he would’ve killed you right here and now.”

“Due to his status as a Great Noble, the emperor would overlook the matter but not without some degree of punishment. However, that punishment would only amount to a hefty fine of a million gold.”

“Hear that? Your life is worth less than gold,” Arnold sneered and cackled, “Am I not a good person? I let the others live in exchange for your life.”

Hope filled the eyes of the nobles.

“But they will serve harsh punishments given by the court. I have no idea what it’ll be but I don’t care anyway.”

“….!”

“Don’t glare at me like that,” Arnold put his blade near James’ face.

“Now then, I will announce the sentences,” the official cleared his throat, “All those directly involved with the attempted murder will face ten years in national prison. The families of these suspects are required to provide some kind of compensation to the victim. Be it in the form of money, land or labor in his city… This matter will be discussed officially at another time. As for now…”

“Here comes my favorite part,” Arnold looked deep into James’ eyes. He couldn’t hide his smile on his face.

“—I will announce James Caervil’s fate.”

James’ father fell onto his knees, clutching the grass. His wife held tightly onto his daughter while the other elder sisters hugged the mother.

The person behind them was only silently looking at them with her hands clasped.

“NOOOOO! I CAN’T LET IT END LIKE THIS!” James, who was being held captive by two knights began struggling.

They were about to lower him on his knees and stretch out his neck but he resisted.

“Help me! Why aren’t you doing anything!?” James looked at his family.

“…dear..”

“Papa…”

“….”

His entire family stepped away from him even as he asked for their help.

“Your Highness!!!!”

Jurius’ shoulders jerked up.

“HE WAS THE ONE WHO TOLD ME TO DO IT! WHY AREN’T YOU KILLING HIM TOO!? YOU BASTARD OF A PRINCE! YOU FAILURE! INCEST BASTARD!”

“—Hahahahahahaha!” Arnold could only laugh at this comical exchange.

Why would he think an idiot like Jurius could help in this situation? Jurius was less than a piece of dirt in Arnold’s eyes.

There was no resistance from Jurius whatsoever. He just turned his head away from the scene.

“Good choice.”

‘You were disciplined nicely.’

Arnold wanted to kill Jurius as well but considering the fact that the person was a prince, he hesitated. He was only allowed to kill James because he was under protection of the law. If he were to kill a prince who was indirectly involved then his death flags would only increase.

That also contradicted his goals so he decided to let Jurius go. However, that didn’t mean he would allow Jurius to go away without paying for what he did.

Thus, Jurius would serve two months in prison and then he’d be doing labor in the mines for another two months. The emperor had to finalize this first, though.

The attack of the Berkley household would be known tomorrow. But of course, Arnold made sure his father was the first to find out.

Before swinging down his Aura Sword, Arnold looked at Liumiala who was in the crowd.

She had sent one of her people to tell Marcus of everything that transpired up until today and who was involved.

‘My guess is that he’ll go to the Imperial Court first before he comes here to get revenge.’

But there would be no one to get revenge on…

‘Since I’ll be killing the mastermind.’ Arnold looked down at the neck of the man who had wronged him.

He didn’t know why but a feeling of exhilaration was sent through his spine when he thought about killing this man.

It was in his right to do so.

Right?

“PLEASE WAIT—!”

There was no resounding boom or the dramatic effects of light. Only a dark blue arc followed the direction of Arnold’s Aura Sword.

A thumping sound resounded as James’ head fell to the ground.

“NOOOOO!”

“PAPAAAAA!”

James’ wife and two daughters screamed as tears fell from their eyes. Only the strange girl with the bandage around her head, James’ father and the little girl were silently looking at James’ corpse.

Arnold pointed his sword at the other nobles who pissed their pants after making eye contact with him.

“All of you remember this,” He spoke in a clear voice, “If you even think of trying to kill me again in the future then just know that I will get my revenge with the same intent. It doesn’t matter what method it is,”

Everyone trembled as Arnold’s overwhelming aura spread throughout the entire mansion. The dogs barked and the horses neighed in fear. The entire district sensed the killing intent of a single man.

“—I will always emerge as the victor.”

  • Death Flag has been successfully eliminated!
  • Rewards: 40 MP, 5000 XP.
  • Level up × 5!
  • Due to an error in the user’s class, MP will be added as an extra stat point.
  • Player is now level 40!
  • All stats increase by twenty points for eliminating a death flag!
42