Intermission – Pope Augustus
1.1k 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Cathedral. One of the most historically richest landmarks of the continent. It was located in the central part of the Juliar Theocracy’s capital. It was the place where the holy father performed ceremonies and held rituals to increase their faith in the ones above the clouds.

It had a history dating back since the founding of the Theocracy—which was formally known as the Northern Holy Kingdom.

There was a single tower standing on the same property as the Cathedral. It was known as the Holy Tower. The topmost floor was where both the Pope and the oracle of God lived. Though they lived on the same floor, their area space was separated so far apart that they rarely bumped into each other.

Well, the oracle wasn’t allowed outside because of the dangers that could befall her. If the Theocracy lost her then they would also lose a very important bargaining chip.

Thus, there was security that was sufficient enough for even a monarch. Thousands of defensive magic that only allowed those registered at the tower was planted inside the building. If anyone unregistered came inside then the entire tower would be closed down and the intruder would be killed by the Testaments.

Lancelot walked down a long, wide hallway. His posture was straight and his gaze determined as if he made up his mind about something.

There was another woman walking next to Lancelot.

She had long black hair, a bandage over her eyes and she wore a grey priest garb. The symbol of an eye on her chest told others that she was part of the highest order of priests—the people who ruled the Theocracy.

She was Ceera, also known as The Seraphim of the Theocracy, a divine magic user of the highest rank. In her hands was a small altar relic which had lost its color and was going through a special process of degradation. Which meant that it was an expendable item.

However, given the fact that the degradation was taking a while to finish, one could tell that the item was once very valuable.

The item was known as a [Copier] which requires its user to put any spell inside using runic language. Runic language was the same as magic enchantments only more ancient in terms of which came first. Unlike magic enchantments which couldn’t allow one to choose any spell you wanted, runic inscribing allowed you to choose whatever spell you wanted to inscribe in the dispensable item using the letters of runes.

Although the item was an S-rank artifact, it couldn’t withstand the power output of [Target Teleportation]. In order to use it one had to be able to cast magic. Any kind of magic was needed for the activation of the ancient spell inside: be it elemental, divine or arcane.

That was where Ceera came in since Lancelot wasn’t a traditional magic user of any of the three categories. He had divinity but he could only use it on his many special skills like his [Judgement Spears of Melis] and [Avatar Angel].

“His Holiness will not overlook us taking a divine relic without his permission,” the woman addressed Lancelot when the two of them stood in front of a large door, “Even if we did it because we were short on time, it is still an offense. Even I could lose my position.”

“….” Lancelot looked at the divine artifact that Ceera was carrying, “It can be replaced since it’s expendable.”

“But the spell we used was something that should’ve remained a national secret.”

Lancelot heard that it was a magic spell created by an unknown magic caster. He knew that they were keeping the entire truth from him but he didn’t pry. How they got the magic was honestly none of his business.

“It was still worth using it against the demon accomplice.”

“Are you listening to me? Despite all the positives, we ignored the implication our actions might’ve had in this. I was only repaying a debt I owed to you so now I’m involved in this situation,” Ceera noticed that Lancelot was staring into empty space, “You will most likely be demoted by three ranks for losing the treasure named Praise as well.”

Only then did Lancelot give a reaction. His shoulders jerked and his eyebrows arched.

‘A national treasure of our capital… In the hands of a demon factor.’

“…I shall gladly take that punishment.” Lancelot was about to knock the door but Ceera stopped him.

“Are you willing to let that man go?”

Arnold von Berkley, the demon factor.

He was able to shatter Lancelot’s special skill Harmonic Sanctuary—which was a pure divinity skill—with his demon aura enhanced strength alone. Lancelot only used that power when he faced an adversary who was a huge threat.

Thinking back, it was a good idea to use the green dome before Arnold powered up. The dome increased Lancelot’s overall divine power gained per second. This meant that his divine power recovery rate was ten times more effective if he was inside his special skill’s radius. It was especially strong in the center of the dome.

‘I doubt I would’ve been using only 70% of my full power. Perhaps I would’ve used ten percent more under normal conditions if I didn’t use my skill? That means I would’ve been forced to play my other cards.’

“I will take back what is rightfully mine someday. That future will have to wait for a while since I have other duties to attend to.”

“Duties?”

Lancelot didn’t elaborate on what he meant and ignored Ceera. She pouted but decided to not stop him anymore.

“Your Holiness, I, Lancelot Ulterian of the Inquisition have returned.”

--I permit you to come inside.

“I humbly express my gratitude.” Lancelot bowed even though the door was still closed.

He opened the door a moment later.

“Eek!” A young man was on the other end of the door. His clothes and hair were disbelieved and he seemed out of breath. His legs were quivering slightly as well.

“What is a lowly priest doing in—” Ceera was about to reprimand the boy but Lancelot held up his hand.

He looked the boy up and down.

It was obvious why the boy was here.

Augustus II preached to those under him to practice celibacy yet he himself had relationships with many of the young women and men who worked in the clergy. It was especially the case with new devotees.

He fed them sham words like, “This will make you closer to god”, “Our goddess has made fate to be this way”, among other things.

What a hypocrite.

The boy bowed in gratitude before running past the two of them. The stink of sweat and semen lingered.

“We apologize for coming while your holiness is busy.” Said Lancelot as he took off his mask.

“Think nothing of it. I was the one who failed to tell my secretary to turn away any visitors,” the voice of an old man came from inside the lavish room.

Crystal chandeliers hanged from the ceiling which sparkled like the surface of a lake touched by the setting sun. The inside of the room was very spacious and decorated with many paintings, vases and antiques of various kinds.

“Sit anywhere you like,” a stout old man, wearing a long white gown with a glass of wine in his hand was sitting on one of the three red couches inside the room. There was a coffee table in the middle of the couches.

Augustus’ gentle expression twisted when he saw the thing in Ceera’s hand. He pointed at it:

“Do tell me why a divine relic is in your possession, Ceera the Seraphim.”

“….” Ceera could only lower her head.

“Are you not going to speak even though I asked you a question? You may be the second highest ranked member of the Testaments but that does not mean you have the power to simply—”

“I am the one who is responsible for everything that happened,” Lancelot stood in front of Ceera who was silently standing with her head lowered, “So please allow me to speak.”

Augustus grunted, “Then speak. I will lose my good mood if the reason for taking such a precious item was idiotic.”

“Thank you.” Lancelot walked towards the couch opposite the Pope and sat down. Ceera didn’t follow to do the same. She stood behind Lancelot instead, as if she wanted to exclude herself.

“There was a tip from one of our branches in the empire about them sighting the demon accomplice,” Lancelot could see the pope’s eyes widen slightly and a smile start to form, “I found a lead to this tip. We received a sample which turned out to be aura. I deduced that it belonged to a companion of the demon accomplice since they were seen together after a recent incident in Duke Berkley’s city.”

“Hmm…”

“I found no sign of Flora Luthial but I managed to find the person that the aura belonged to,”

“Who was it? Is it someone from the empire?”

Lancelot could feel Ceera’s eyes land on him. It felt like she was burrowing a hole through his skull, “I was not able to find out the person’s identity.”

He heard Ceera sigh in relief. He was lying of course.

“That is unfortunate. Did you manage to kill this person and find out the whereabouts of the demon accomplice?”

“No.”

Augustus’ frown deepened, “Then why did you dare use such a precious spell that should only be used by the High Priests?”

“…I had to get this person alone because I could sense that they were a threat. Even to our strongest.”

“A threat?”

Lancelot didn’t see anything special in Arnold von Berkley the moment he was captured but that changed as the two continued fighting. It felt like Lancelot was fighting someone who had much more experience than himself. He could judge what actions to take in the middle of combat and he could reverse the situation even for a mere second.

Lancelot would be lying if he said that his battle with Arnold von Berkley wasn’t enjoyable.

Lancelot was powerful.

He knew that so he had never faced someone who could make him try his best in a fight. He hadn’t even met anyone who could push him to his full strength.

‘In all my years as a level 82 Holy Knight, I have never even known defeat. But there were several moments when I imagined my demise while fighting him.’ Lancelot felt his spine tingle back when the two of them released their final attacks, with Lancelot being the victor.

Had Arnold’s power not disappeared at the last second then he would probably be laying in a coma.

Lancelot’s face was bitter when he remembered that chasm that was created by the shockwave of that demon aura of a demon lord alone.

‘What kind of demon lord’s power did that man inherit…’

“This person possessed a demon factor. No, he was a ‘Lord’ variant.”

“WHAT!?” the pope’s glass of wine fell onto the ground, “Why did you not capture him!?”

A demon lord factor was a person who could be used as a military tool to fight on the frontlines. Though they were rare and incarnations of powerful demons—something that followers of god should abhor—there was no doubt that they would serve as important pieces during wartime.

“Simple, I could not,”

“…What?” Augustus beckoned for Lancelot to elaborate.

“That is because this person is being protected by Serz, the world’s most dangerous organization. I assumed that they also want to use him as a tool for warfare but I don’t have proof to back up that claim. Thus, to be safe and protect our nation, I chose to not pursue.”

Augustus was speechless.

“…We cannot pursue this man any further,” Lancelot looked into his eyes and said clearly, “Nor can we kill the demon accomplice while she is associated with someone like him.”

“....” Augustus’ fists were being squeezed so tightly that his skin was going white. He blew a long breath a moment later, “You’re right. Though it is regrettable, we will have to let Flora Luthial go. Chances are that this person you speak of is a Cadre rank of Serz. I do not want to antagonize those monsters like my predecessor did.”

The previous pope had unlawfully committed many atrocities that gained him the title, “Corrupted Follower”. He killed non-humans in the name of god because he believed that all races besides humans were demons.

Humans were the purest form of god.

He was killed by a ‘Cadre’ rank from Serz. The handful with that rank reported directly to their leader.

A single person had waltzed into this tower that should’ve been heavily guarded and managed to singlehandedly kill all the Holy Knights who got in their way. The Theocracy had thus avoided committing any similar crimes like the previous pope.

Unless they wanted to face an entire organization of monsters.

‘He’s accepting this rather quickly. Is he truly going to let this go?’ Lancelot thought so because he knew the kind of man Augustus was. He got heated up with so much as a mention of a being related to demons or Demihumans.

“Inform all the branches that the bounty on Flora Luthial is hereby lifted,”

“As you command,” Lancelot lowered his head and stood up. Although he was suspicious, he decided to leave it be. There was no reason for him to protect Arnold if the pope decided to pursue him. “We shall take our leave after returning this artifact.”

Lancelot could see Ceera looking at him with a grateful expression. He was able to direct the pope’s anger elsewhere and had avoided her losing her position.

“Hold on,” Augustus wasn’t finished yet, “There is another matter which I need you for. You can take this as making up for your inactivity as an Inquisitor.”

“Pardon me?”

Augustus stood up and went over to his desk. He pulled out a scroll from his drawer.

He spoke before Lancelot could ask, “This is an official declaration of war from the Demihuman Kingdom.”

“…I do not understand. Why did we receive a declaration of war?”

“The king of that nation accused us of having stolen their sacred land and driving away their kind unlawfully. We are also not allowing any of their citizens entry across the Great Ridge.”

“Then why don’t we just give them permission? Don’t tell me…”

Lancelot saw a smirk on Augustus’ face, “Why should I do that? This is the perfect opportunity to rid this continent of those beasts. I will not agree to share our land with monkeys even if the king begs me to.”

Since the Holy Kingdom and the Theocracy had a ruler each, many decisions on nation-scale had to be decided by the two rulers of these separate nations. If Augustus didn’t give his consent but the king did or vice versa then a decision couldn’t be made. This was obviously only if the decision affected both nations.

By the way, the holy king had already given his consent to remove the border that separated the humans from the demihumans.

‘So this is what you wanted in the end? You didn’t want to act first since the world would see you in a bad light… But no one would be able to blame you if you showed them this…’

It was the perfect opportunity, as one could call it.

The Pope could hide the fact that the border was the issue and tell the public that the demihumans were bastards who wanted to take over this land.

Humans are a simple species. If the words are persuasive and sounded smart enough then they would even jump straight into danger.

“So we must go forth with this war?” Ceera spoke for the first time, “Have we not shed enough blood, your holiness? Why can’t we use our power in another way which isn’t to slaughter?”

“Let me remind you, Seraphim of the Testaments,” Augustus spoke without even looking at her, “you are not in charge. All you must do is follow my orders.”

Ceera ground her teeth, “…I apologize for interrupting.”

A gust of wind suddenly blew into the room from the large French windows.

No, it wasn’t the wind that did it.

“—I am against this war as well.” Someone spoke from Lancelot’s back.

The voice and the overwhelming presence of this person was very familiar.

“Justice.” Augustus narrowed his eyes as he looked over Lancelot’s shoulders, “I made myself clear that you should not come in uninvited again. Do you find this funny?”

“I apologize for that. I came through the window because I happened to see Ceera here.”

Justice, the man who had entered the room at astonishing speeds, walked towards them.

Lancelot stood quietly, not even moving slightly. Were it any of his colleagues that they would’ve gotten on their knees. He was obviously higher in rank than an inquisitor.

The person who joined their meeting was none other than the strongest swordsman on the continent.

“Why do you oppose my decision, Justice? I made it clear to all of you that my decision is final.”

Justice was a tall black haired man in his early thirties with golden eyes and a sharp chin. He wore all black—black boots, coat, black dragon scale armour and six black swords by his waist.

He was the most powerful member of the Testaments and his power could even stand on equal grounds with any one of the Great Nobles of the Empire.

“If we were to—hypothetically say—start this war and send out our troops… does Your Holiness think other nations would idly sit by and watch? The Dwarlif Kingdom and the Fairy Province would intervene and fight with the demihumans.”

Augustus’ face twisted.

‘So he didn’t think of this. He was so blinded by desires of war that he missed one of the most important part of warfare. Alliances.’

The Demihuman Kingdom was an ally of the Fairy Province and the dwarf nation known as Dwarlif were their vassals.

One nation was the most magically advanced civilization while the other was a nation which had the most mechanically advanced society of the many nations on Diacree.

Armies of magic spells and battleships from one side and teeth and fangs from the other side. How would the Theocracy, a single nation, be able to handle that?

But of course, that didn’t mean that they would lose easily. Despite being half the size of the Empire, their military might could be considered in the top five strongest.

Justice explained all this to Augustus.

“Then comes another problem. Brynhildr Selia Bloodforth. A monster that even the dragon lords can’t defeat. A small nation, sure, but they have monsters beyond all our imaginations. Her wish—as we all know—is to unite all the races in the world. Demons, undead and humanoids alike.”

Lancelot and Ceera looked at each other.

‘So she knows what Justice is implying as well.’

That was…

“Don’t you think she’ll use this declaration of war to create a scenario where they can fight together and build stronger alliances?”

“B-But she is an undead…”

“A vampire, actually. They are known as immortals and not the living dead.”

“E-even if you twist those words, she is still a monster!” Augustus pressed on, “There’s no way they would cooperate with her. No! Way!”

Justice shrugged, “I was speaking hypothetically. Take my words with a grain of salt.”

“Hng…” Augustus didn’t settle down despite his words.

“Get out. All of you. I need time to think.”

“As you wish, Your Holiness.”

◇◇◇

Lancelot, Ceera and Justice left the pope’s chambers.

‘Thank goodness. At least he managed to stall His Holiness from doing anything foolish.’ Lancelot looked at Justice.

He had arrived at the perfect time and steered the conversation in a direction which made even the pope question his actions.

But his words held some truth.

The surrounding nations wouldn’t just sit still and allow a kingdom to be invaded like the fall of the Luthial Kingdom.

“I thought you had business in another city. Why are you back?” Ceera spoke to Justice.

“Whatever business I had can wait,” said Justice, “Another, more important matter needs to be investigated. And I need all my time and energy to look into it.”

Lancelot and Ceera looked at each other. Both of them didn’t understand what he meant. If something was more important than the orders of the High Priests then that something wasn’t any ordinary matter.

Justice revealed what he meant:

“Our Lady Oracle made a prophecy.”

“Angelica did…?” Lancelot frowned.

It was the first time in a long time that something like this had happened. The goddess wouldn’t casually tell the oracle a prophecy like it was every day stuff. If one was made then it meant that it could impact the future in some way.

“What?” Ceera looked at Justice in disbelief, “Then why didn’t you tell His Holiness?”

“It’s because this prophecy of hers is a little special,” Justice looked around before whispering, “’A being looked upon favourably by the watchers of the world. A person blessed with the power of gods’. That is what she told me.”

“What does it mean, Justice?” asked Lancelot.

“It means that a Hero has been born once again,” Justice stopped and looked to his right where he could get a good look of the tower they just exited, “She wasn’t specific but I am certain that it’s the chosen one.”

“And you're intent on finding this person?”

“That's right, Lancelot. I believe it is our duty to bring this person to Lady Oracle,” He began walking again, “I think it’s time I call everyone together to inform them of my departure.”

Justice jumped off the bridge connecting the Tower to the Church. He landed perfectly on the ground before running off.

“Ah!” Ceera jogged after him, but she looked back before leaving, “What will you do for the time being?”

Lancelot wasn’t sure how to answer her.

Yes, what would he do? He would probably just go to his office and sit through boring paperwork. It was what he hated doing the most.

He looked at his hands. These hands held such power yet it was shackled by this nation and it served the goddess. Besides praying, there was probably nothing else he was looking forward to. His life only revolved around being loyal to his faith.

Lancelot slowly lifted his head to look at his old friend, “Would you like to grab some lunch tomorrow?”

Ceera smiled.

30