Chapter 74: Vetis Creste
1.2k 4 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arnold ordered Lunaria to take everything to his office. He told the other servants to help her carry the stuff upstairs. He would take a look at all the items once he gets the chance.

Victoria was standing right behind Arnold as they waited for Lauran and Adrianna to come inside.

“Oh my!” A cheerful voice came from the door of the living room. Arnold’s mother’s face was full of smiles as she approached Arnold and hugged him.

“I haven’t seen you in forever so hug me back at least!” she pinched his cheeks.

“Ugh, fine.”

“So how is everything going?” Adrianna didn’t ask Arnold that question. Rather, she was looking at Victoria, “Did it work out?”

“…Not yet, madam. But I will keep on trying.”

“What are you talking about?” Arnold intervened.

“Oh, it’s just girls talk.” Adrianna shrugged it off, “Anyway, you probably haven’t heard yet but…” she stepped to the side.

“Huh…?” Arnold’s mouth gaped when he saw Lauran standing there wearing an academy uniform.

No, not just that…

‘An assistant mantle too!?’

There was a blue mantle draped over her grey student uniform. This was so that others could acknowledge that she was the assistant of a professor.

Arnold had a question when he saw the two of them together, “Is she your…”

Lauran gave a somewhat shy smile as she twirled her hair with her fingers.

“Yes, she’s now my assistant at the academy! Don’t think you can treat like you did in the past or I’ll have to step in.” Adrianna put her hand on Arnold’s shoulder and gave a bright smile.

Although Adrianna’s tone was lighthearted, Arnold knew that she was serious and would not idly let something like that be allowed.

‘So many things are happening that I can’t process this. First Victoria’s flag of wanting to kill me, then Lunaria, now this?’

Arnold actually wanted Freya York to take notice of Lauran first so that she would offer to teach Lauran magic. But his mother was a 7th star mage—an elite, so he was fine with this development.

‘I don’t have to worry for the time being… I hope.’

“So… why are the two of you here? Wait, how did you even get here so early?”

The answer he received baffled him, “Simple. We flew.”

‘She managed to maintain a flight spell that lasted a distance from the city until here!?’

The spell [Fly] wasn’t a high rank spell. In fact, it was only 2nd rank which was easy for any student of the academy to learn. But the downside was that the spell used up a lot of mana per second.

From what he could remember from the game, your mana would decrease by 5,4 milliliter every second.

Did Lauran just have a humongous pool of mana? He couldn’t remember having heard of something like that from the game. In fact, Lufulur had much more mana than even two level 100 ordinary class Mages.

One of the reasons that made an Archmage special were their natural abilities to modify a spell of any nature. Perhaps she modified [Fly] without even knowing about it.

‘My mother seems a little tired but the same can’t be said for Lauran. If anything, she doesn’t seem tired at all. Did she even use any mana for the spell?’

Arnold was beginning to worry that Lauran was progressing at a faster speed than he wanted. She might even surpass Luke before he would even wield his holy sword.

“And why are you here exactly?” Arnold rubbed his temples which were burning.

“We came to get you.” Adrianna answered as if telling him the weather.

“Huh…?”

“I won’t allow a student to miss the ceremony. We’ll be introducing a very important person today so you should be there as well. Well, that’s ‘if’ he makes it today.”

“Important person?” Arnold tilted his head.

“I heard something about the director of the academy—Freya York—that her mentor would be coming to observe the classes.”

“Observe? Why?”

“I think it’s to check if we are doing our jobs right and also to spot potential candidates to join the Wizarding Program at the Magic Tower. I’ve no idea when he’ll be coming though. It could be today or even when the next school year starts.” Adrianna continued, “I just hope he doesn’t intend on taking Lauran because I myself want to polish this gem,” Adrianna patted Lauran’s head.

The two looked like mother and daughter which sickened Arnold.

‘You didn’t bat an eye when the previous me beat the shit out of this girl. You have a really shitty personality, mother. Using this girl for your selfish desires is really pitiable.’

Of course, this was before Lauran’s powers became known. Adrianna probably wanted to turn Lauran into something she could never become.

That was why Arnold thought it was a selfish desire. She fooled Lauran into actually thinking that it was for her own benefit when it was really because of greed.

‘She wants to make Lauran a trophy. Well, I don’t need to stop this since Lauran will improve under her guidance.’

Truth was that Adrianna never gave two shits about something if it didn’t affect her career or her status as a duchess.

“Interesting. To think the Archmage’s mentor would personally visit the academy. Anyway, when are we leaving?” asked Arnold.

Lauran, who had been quiet this entire time, spoke, “Professor told me that I should be the one to transfer all three of us to the empire.”

Arnold frowned, “What…?”

Adrianna seemed to have enjoyed his reaction since she smiled amusedly, “Lauran can cast teleportation. We’ve actually been to many places in the last two months. I’m having her do the teleportation as practice.”

Arnold decided to shut his mouth instead of rebutting any further.

Lauran had already learned teleportation which was good since it would come in handy in the future.

‘Well, I can use her to come back to the city again.’

“Should I accompany you, my lord?” Victoria asked from the side.

“No, you should stay here. Oh right, go speak with the person who I spoke to earlier. I gave her instructions which she needs to follow but I want you to guide her during her stay here. Any major decisions will wait until I get into contact with you through the Message transmitter.”

“As you command, my lord.” Victoria quickly left the living room.

It was a bit regrettable that he couldn’t get a goodbye kiss but he had to bear with it. Victoria never mixed work with her personal life so he could understand.

“You may begin, Lauran.”

Lauran nodded at Adrianna’s words. She took out her wand and began waving it.

‘Chantless… As expected, she’s awakened.’

A torrent of mana surrounded the three of them, engulfing them. Arnold felt like he was underwater but he could still breathe.

The inside of the living room shone when a giant magic circle began drawing itself on the floor. Runic patterns of different letters of ancient tongue were inscribed in each of the patterns inside the pattern.

Arnold could read a few of those inscriptions since he had done a lot of runic magic experiments during his time as a sorcerer.

The spell was without a doubt [7th rank magic – Teleport].

Arnold was swallowed up by an even brighter light before his senses were completely numbed and everything went dark.

Vetis Creste was considered a monster by his own clan. He was from the infamous demon clan, the Greater Crestes. They lived on the outskirts of the demon lord, Gamakin’s territories.

There were three demon lord territories in total—the fourth one had not been claimed since there is no more fourth demon lord after they fell in battle.

The Crestes were a clan devoted to breeding powerful soldiers and selling their children to the Demon King. The first alpha made such an agreement with the Demon King. They were to send their strongest offspring to the demon army and receive protection and money in return.

What made Vetis’ clan special was their ability to transform and multiply their overall power. Vetis was already powerful to begin with but he always transformed due to the habit of wanting to crush weaker beings with his full power.

His clan had been war slaves of the demon army for generations. Their huge bodies could be used to tank enemy forces. Their natural enemies—the undead—couldn’t use their magic as effectively since the Crest clan had a very high magic resistance.

Liches were their biggest enemy since this race could reanimate the dead. Meaning that they could use the demon army against the demons by using their necromancy abilities to make the fallen demons fight for them. Even worse, they could turn their(the Crestes) fallen brothers against them by turning them undead.

Pure demons were in the minority so they were heavily underpopulated compared to halfbreeds and non-demon monsters. The demon race—which had reined supreme before the Holy War Era—was almost wiped until extinction when the first hero entered their world.

Vetis had seen this hero firsthand. His eyes alone could paralyze even Greater Demons. His hand could destroy them with just a wave. And his sword could wipe out dozens of settlements at once.

But before the demon world was completely destroyed by Promethius, a miracle—much like the first hero’s birth in the human world—befell the demon world.

The Demon King was born.

A perfect species of demon. No, an entirely new genus. She was the ultimate demon.

Arsnoria Vlur Daemon.

Vetis couldn’t remember what she looked like except for a shadowy silhouette that had horns bigger than he had ever seen but he could remember her power. No being would be able to forget such otherworldly might. Those happenings all those decades ago was fresh in his memory.

That unfathomable power.

Perhaps it was even greater than Brynhildr Selia Bloodforth but Vetis was uncertain. Thus, he assumed that they were on equal grounds.

She fought against Promethius and drove him away. Though she didn’t kill him, she ensured that the demon races would survive.

Vetis didn‘t understand why she was considered the Demon “King” and not the Demon “Queen”. Perhaps it was because her might crossed the boundary where titles even mattered between male and female.

He asked Selia this exact question.

She had responded with: “The first monarch of demons was male. They want to keep his title alive and not change it. Doing so would be equal to insulting his name.”

Thus, “King” was always behind “Demon”.

‘How utterly ridiculous.’

Stopping his train of thought, Vetis began fixing his suit before entering the throne room.

“I, Vetis Creste have returned, lady Selia.” He shouted in a clear voice that wasn’t too soft or loud. He also considered how his tone was when addressing his Master. Was it polite? Too confident? Would his master think he was too loud?

The door opened after no reply was heard.

“Lilith?” Vetis frowned when he saw his colleague open the door.

“Why are you in our Master’s throne room alone?”

He couldn’t sense any other being inside so he decided to ask her.

Lilith let out a quiet sigh seeing that it was Vetis, “Lady Selia left me in charge.”

This made veins bulge on Vetis’ temples.

Why?

Why leave a woman in charge who had the same name as the Whore of Demons? Surely Vetis would’ve been the better option?

He was smarter, stronger and better at many other things than her. Why would Selia leave Lilith in charge? He would’ve understood if it were Renogar—the strongest NPC of them all—or even Maywolf—the little brother of Berdark.

Both were great defensive NPCs who could show their full potential when protecting a fortress.

But Lilith could only show hers when she was in the company of an entire army—hence why she was the First Commander(which held the second greatest authority in the Undead Nation’s army). Sure, she had deadly skills that no average being could compete against but it was just that.

Vetis resisted the urge to grit his teeth.

After a long silence, Vetis spoke:

“Did she inform you as to where she will go?”

“….”

Her silence alone told Vetis that Selia didn’t inform anyone of where she was going.

“I see,” he thought it was regrettable but he decided to leave it be, “My original business with our Master was to inform her of Lunaria’s mission.”

“Did that man sign the contract?”

Vetis nodded, “He did. I’ll contact her now to find out more details,” Vetis took out a scroll and tore it up.

He wasn’t a magic user so it was impossible to cast [Message] without mana. He didn’t even have demon aura which made him a very rare case of demons. His only powers were his special demon transformation which allowed him to increase his DPS and HP by a thousandth-fold, his special skills and his magic items. Of course, he had skills as well but those drained his HP and stamina bar whenever he used it so it was an inefficient way of fighting.

  • “Vetis, is that you?”

A voice came from inside the room even though no one was there besides Lilith and Vetis. It was Lunaria’s voice.

“I am currently inside the throne room along with Lilith. I would’ve liked it if you informed our Master directly but Lilith can repeat what you are about to say,” Lilith nodded at Vetis’ words.

  • “Okay. Lord Arnold agreed to the minimum period.”

“Why didn’t you persuade him into adding another five years?” asked Lilith.

  • “He doesn’t trust me. It would seem suspicious if I suggested it first. That’s why I will make him unable to refuse letting my services go.”

“That sounds like a good idea.” Lilith agreed, “It’s better to make him change the contract himself.”

“So what is your impression of him, Lunaria?” asked Vetis.

-“Well he isn’t stupid. That’s for sure. It took a while for him to even decide which means that he weighed the pros and cons of alliancing himself with us. I could sense doubt and suspicion from his fluctuating emotions. That means that he may be thinking that we want to sap him dry because he’s useful.”

‘Hmm… That was my intent from the beginning but our Master refused to accept it.’

Vetis was originally supposed to organize their alliance with Whitage City. But due to some disagreements—mostly from his Master—he decided to stand down. His Master was fully intent on making Arnold von Berkley an ally.

Ally… It was a word only used for equals. A human was being considered equal to them.

Vetis swallowed down the hate inside his heart.

“Have you located the deposits of the crystals yet?”

  • Not yet, Lilith. The area is much too large to even make a guestimate. The trees in the forest would need to be cut down first but I have no idea where to begin. My first job is to assign roles to the new inhabitants of the city. My next job would be recruiting farmers from the surrounding villages.

“Where is that man at the moment?”

  • He left earlier to go to the empire. I think that uniform he wore belonged to the academy?

‘So he’s intentionally delaying telling Lunaria where the crystals are. Is it a sign of him telling us that he doesn’t trust us yet? We are monsters, after all.’

They must’ve looked greedy from his perspective.

“There’s nothing that can be done about that. You’ll just have to wait for him, Lunaria. Have the summons mine the more dangerous areas while having the humans mine the areas where it’s relatively safe. Once he gives you permission, bring a sample to me. No, forget what I just said. I’ll come to the city and personally ask him if I may use one sample.”

  • May I ask what you will do with it?

Vetis grinned, “We must advertise the worth of these crystals to the world. I have a great idea as to how we should do it. Simply making a big announcement wouldn’t be a good idea so I will have to start small.”

“Hmm…” Lilith looked at Vetis with narrowed eyes as if to say “the audacity of this guy to decide it on his own”.

Well, he had to show his worth to both his Master and their new ally so advertising was what he would do. He couldn’t let others get the march on him. The most important thing was to make Arnold von Berkley trust them.

  • I will await your arrival, Vetis.

Lunaria cut the message off after saying farewell.

Vetis and Lilith stood in silence when the message was cut off. The two of them breathing was barely audible so the room was as silent as the night.

“I will take my leave—”

“Hold on, Vetis.”

“?”

Lilith approached Vetis and looked into his eyes. Her purple eyes sharpened.

“Why are you, the Prime Minister always outside the nation when we need you the most?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m asking you why you’re always gone. Should I remind you that something like the Luthial Kingdom’s destruction must not happen again or else you will be punished severely?”

Vetis glared at Lilith, “I am allowed to have secrets. Besides, what duties do I have at the moment in a dying nation that’s on the verge of collapsing? If I deem it necessary then I will inform all of you of what I am doing. Other than that, stay out of my personal business.”

Lilith looked like she wanted to wring his neck, “…Very well. But you will let me know first before telling our Master if anything important comes up. I am the second-in-command, after all.”

“…Understood.” He couldn’t do anything other than accept since Lilith was the leader in Selia’s absence. His title as Prime Minister meant nothing even though he should’ve been left in charge.

“I need to look over some documents about recruiting soldiers from other nations so I need peace and quiet. So leave.”

“…”

Vetis silently left the throne room. He walked down the narrow hallway with a red carpet draped over its floor.

His smile turned into a grimace and his neck bulged with veins as a frown arched on his brows.

“Little lapdog whore.”

34