Chapter 89: Young Master
567 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arnold knew the perfect place to go to when lunch break came. Lunch break was apparently 50 minutes long. That meant that the students could even go to the shopping district if they wanted to and still have some time to grab lunch at a café or do something else during their spare time.

The shopping district was in the next street over. Most of the stores were there( such as boutiques, restaurants, and shopping complexes). Such areas will typically be pedestrian-oriented, with street-side buildings, wide sidewalks, etc.

The area was large because of the sheer amount of stores one could find there. Female students were usually the majority of the customers during lunch break. This was because of the famous boutiques and cafés.

‘I wonder if that café that Arnold used to visit as a child is still open. I’m craving for something sweet.’

He also wanted to buy something for Lizette who was his temporary roommate.

Women loved sweet things apparently.

He wanted to show her that she was welcome since their first meeting was kind of abrupt and awkward.

The two of them also rarely spoke besides the usual “good morning” before he left the room. Well, it might take time before they get used to each other.

He wasn’t hoping for anything like lovers, just friends or something more than a stranger.

‘I’ll head there if I get the chance to.’

Arnold crossed the road after exiting the gate. No one was with him since he didn’t really have friends. He had a lot of female acquaintances but that was a different story.

Arnold was aware that there were a lot of girls who would swoon over him—especially the first years. They were innocent and naïve, after all.

They wouldn’t be able to resist the handsomeness of a young master from a ducal household who also happened to be the son of one of the greatest generals in the empire’s history.

Thus, Arnold had to be careful when interacting with any of the females. He was certain that there were many of them who would plot a scheme to get into his pants, get impregnated and join the Berkley family.

His father would have no choice but to accept these girls.

‘I wonder how Arnold avoided getting anyone pregnant. Was he so good at sex that he could pull out in the nick of time?’ Liam had a silly thought. But he really did admire the guy for being so smart.

Those girls claiming to have been impregnated are sapping his father for money, wherever they are.

Since Liam was already aware of the kind of snakes women can become when it comes to money and status, he had to tread carefully as well.

He continued walking down the street.

◇◇

Arnold stopped by a few stores and bought a stuffed toy, a dress, shoes, romance novels and makeup. These things were for his younger sister, Melina. He wasn’t exactly sure when he would see her so he bought those things before he forgot in the future.

He wanted to buy a sword and armor for Jack but his magic bag wouldn’t be able to hold those things as well.

Now that his first task was done, he thought of going to Lumourge and ordering a big fat steak with lots of grilled onions and the empire’s best sauces on top.

His mouth was watering just imagining how heavenly that would taste.

Lumourge was known as a place that had even served kings in the past due to its reputation. Instead of Michelin stars, this world’s best restaurants had golden crowns that was always displayed in the hallway at the front door.

Lumourge had four crowns which made it one of the most renowned restaurants on the entire continent.

Of course, with this reputation came customers of high status as well.

High birth ladies and lords, rich merchants and last but not least—

“I told you to take this disgusting watery mess back and give me back my money!”

Rich young masters.

A young man with flaming red hair pushed one of the servants to the ground and threw the soup he ordered onto her head.

By the way, that soup cost 100 gold per bowl. The ingredients used were from rare animals, the freshest vegetables and exotic herbs. Only the rich ordered this kind of soup that made their taste buds explode with flavour.

‘Why did I have to meet a douchebag from the imperial faction…’ Arnold lamented on his decision of coming to this place. His face grimaced even further when he saw the insignia of a dove on the young man’s chest.

The dove represented the Imperial Faction. Meaning this guy was one of Ronia’s followers.

The waiter looked onto the ground in disbelief as she touched her face that was dripping with lukewarm soup.

“Take this back too!” the young master threw the sticks of bread in her face, “I came here because they said that this place is the best in the empire and you guys dare have a part-time waiter serve me who can’t even get her basic orders right!?” He shoved her back to the ground when she was about to get up.

The students who were watching laughed.

Arnold could see tears come out of the girl’s eyes.

“I ought to cut off your manager’s head as punishment for your actions!” the young master unsheathed his sword.

By the way, students couldn’t walk around with their weapons unsheathed, especially heirlooms and household weapons which were always of high quality. Which meant that this guy had broken this rule.

‘I don’t really feel like meddling in other people’s business so…’ Arnold was about to leave when a familiar voice made him stop.

“Don’t hurt her! She only made a mistake!”

Arnold almost face-palmed when he saw Luke standing between the young master and the girl. Luke was glaring at the young master fearlessly.

“Huh? Who the fuck are you, kid?” one of the young master’s lackeys grabbed him by the collar.

“What does it matter who I am? Just leave her alone. I’ll pay for your meal, alright?”

Luke said with a smile directed at the young master.

‘With what money exactly?’

“Oi, oi. I just said that I’ll be making this girl’s manager pay for her mistakes. Or she’ll have to pay with her body.”

“But it’s just cold soup!”

‘No, Luke…’ Arnold shook his head. The soup wasn’t the problem. They were intentionally starting a commotion because they had the power to get away with it.

Some nobles don’t cause chaos because their actions are justified. They do it for the fun of screwing with people below them.

“Shut the fuck up!” The lackey punched Luke’s face. Blood leaked from his nose and lip but the glare on his face didn’t waver. The lackey was taken aback as a look of surprise spread on his face.

‘What the… Hasn’t this guy changed since the last time I saw him? The previous him would’ve flinched at least.’

Luke forcibly removed the lackey’s hand and freed himself. He kneeled onto the floor and took out a handkerchief.

“Are you alright, ma’am? Here, please use this. I’ll bring a towel for you in a moment.”

‘Seriously? That guy just punched you. Why aren’t you punching him back?’

Arnold would’ve broken a leg and an arm to even the odds.

“Hey, you.” the young master grabbed Luke and yanked him up. He made Luke face him.

Then—

A slapping sound resounded.

Another slap.

And another.

The young master had slapped Luke three times while gazing at him coldly.

“You dare interfere like some hero of justice?”

“Ugh…” Luke groaned. His cheeks were red from being slapped so hard, “Y-You wanted to hurt her… even though she made one mistake…”

“So!? Trash like her should know that mistakes against the nobility equates to punishments! Everyone should know that!”

Arnold had never heard that proverb before. This guy was just spouting nonsense.

Arnold sighed, ‘I guess I’ll have to stop this guy before something bad happens.’

But before he could approach, a girl with long green hair ran towards the young master, lifted her fist and…

Punched him so hard that he flew into one of the tables.

The students whose table was destroyed jumped up in fright.

“Goddamn piece of shit! What gives you the right to punch the next duke of the empire!? Are you mentally ill!?” Flora kicked his two lackeys as well when they tried to grab her.

She ripped off a piece of her long dress and lifted her hands in the air into a fighting stance.

“Your young master is knocked out cold. You also want some of this, hah?”

The two lackeys retreated backwards with fearful expressions when they saw that four of their young master’s teeth had been broken from one punch.

‘That’s some gorilla strength.’

Arnold clapped his hands which made everyone look towards him, “I think this has gone on for long enough.”

“How long have you been there!?”

Arnold ignored Flora who was glaring daggers at him, “Tell your young master that he can visit this place later and file a complaint. You’ve caused enough of a ruckus. You should know that the Berkley household also has shares in this restaurant. This kid right here is the next duke of that household.”

“Kuh…”

“Let’s just go and take lord Tyran.”

The two lackeys dragged their young master and left the restaurant. The students only gawked at this scene.

“You all may go back to eating now. The crisis has been averted,” Arnold said with a wry smile.

“Why didn’t you do anything about what happened earlier!?” Flora roared at Arnold and she hit the table.

“Calm down. Why should I interfere when it has nothing to do with me? Besides, Luke could’ve easily handled those guys.”

Arnold looked at Luke who had a bashful expression on his face, “I…I didn’t want to hurt them…”

“You’ll regret saying that if you let the wrong people go unharmed.”

“What a load of bullshit,” Flora huffed, “You were just scared shitless, weren’t you? You don’t have your precious papa to protect you under his family name anymore.”

Flora snickered. A vein popped on Arnold’s forehead.

“How amusing. Isn’t that the same for you, Flora?”

“Hngh…” she glared at him hatefully.

“And also, don’t speak so harshly when you’re dressed like a noble lady. Other women will look at you in disgust. This will diminish your chances of getting a husband.”

Almost every time she speaks she has to swear. Even Arnold was getting sad seeing such a beautiful woman speak with such a foul mouth.

“Humph.”

Flora pouted and ignored him.

Arnold mentally shook his head, “How long have you been in the capital? I heard from Lauran that you were looking for me.”

“Uhm, I wanted to know if big brother could show me around.”

“Can’t Olivia do that?”

“She’s… busy.”

“I’m busy as well. Just because I’m not an heir anymore doesn’t mean I don’t have work to do. Being a city lord is hard work. You’ll see that when you rule Lockinge.”

If Victoria heard that then she would’ve rolled her eyes. Arnold hadn’t lifted a single finger ever since Lunaria became his advisor and second-in-command. She only called him with a transmitter to go over some things with him and ask permission to do things.

That was Arnold’s life right now.

Of course, he didn’t tell Luke this otherwise him saying that he was “busy” would be revealed to be a lie.

“You’ll make friends with your seniors so have them show you around. Anyway, how far did you get with your training?”

“We were able to finish with basic hand to hand combat and Intermediate swordsmanship.”

“That quick?”

Two months wouldn’t be enough for anyone to be able to get that far with their training.

But considering Luke’s potential, Arnold wasn’t surprised that much.

“You’ll be surprised when you see this kid in combat. Every time he fights it seems like he’s one with the wind. This enhances his reflexes and dodging. I can’t remember how many times I tried to hit him but he keeps slipping away.”

‘So the Wind God has already given him a blessing. Although it’s not much, he can definitely use it effectively if someone attacks him from behind or ambushes him. Maybe he can even dodge arrows effortlessly.’

Arnold was curious how many gods had blessed Luke. But he wouldn’t know unless he saw Luke fight.

“It’s a little hard to use Ki, though. Sebas keeps telling me that since I don’t have a lot of aura that I should rely on fighting barehanded on some occasions.”

“Well, have you learned any martial arts then?”

“He taught me the [Flying Gale](enhances punching speed), the [Dash], among many others. Sebas said that we can continue when the final term is over. The first years are only at the academy for three weeks since we don’t have a lot to cover. I’ll head back home once that time comes.”

“What…” Flora looked at Luke as if he were a monster, “You want to continue doing that dangerous training? You almost died several times!”

“But I have to!” Luke retorted, “How else will I be able to win for real when brother and I fight again?”

‘I wasn’t being serious when I said we should have a rematch…’ Arnold wanted to say that but decided to keep quiet. If Luke was using that as motivation then Arnold didn’t need to worry.

Plus, Arnold was satisfied as long as Luke was determined to continue training, “Oh, right. How are things with Claudia and her daughters?”

“Hm? Why do you ask?” Luke tilted his head.

‘It seems he doesn’t know about the demon attack since he was secluded in the mountains with Sebas. Well, he can find out himself what happened in the village when he meets up with them.’

“Aren’t they buying a house in the empire?”

“Yes, miss Claudia had been trying to buy one for awhile now. Though I would’ve liked it better if they stayed at the castle…”

“I can tell that Claudia isn’t someone to accept help from others if she thinks that she will be an inconvenience. I wish that Norn girl would learn from her mother’s example.” Arnold smirked, “Speaking of her, have you made any plans yet for your proposal to her?”

Arnold was expecting Luke to blush ferociously but Luke’s reaction surprised him.

“Of course! But first comes asking her mother’s blessing, the preparations and even the date I have planned in my head. Everything has to go smoothly.”

“Remember that love shouldn’t be the only thing on your mind, young master,” Flora spoke sternly, “I know I was reluctant at first but I want to see to it that your training with swordsmanship is done in a few years time. Remember that it’s not an easy journey becoming one with the sword.”

“I…I know…”

Flora was completely against training Luke just a few months ago. She even said that Luke wasn’t suited for swordsmanship. But her opinion seemed to have changed immensely.

“What the hell are you grinning for?” Flora looked at Arnold in disgust, “And stop looking at me like that. My contract with you was only to train the young master and not satisfy that thing in your pants.”

“Stop assuming such things, dammit,” Arnold looked at Luke, “Anyway, what do you want to order? “

“C-Can I? We were on our way to the market to buy skewers before we noticed the trouble here.”

“Skewers? That’s not something a young master from a duke household eats. Didn’t Sebastian give you an allowance? My father trusts him with the money.”

More so than his wives since all of them were highborn and liked to spend a lot of money.

Luke shook his head.

‘It’s probably that bitch Judith who took the money. I need to do something about that woman before she becomes a nuisance in the future.’

“I did some mercenary quests on the side so this is all we have,” Flora put a small pouch on the table.

The clinking of coins didn’t match those of pure gold. Arnold opened it up and only saw copper coins. The smell of copper filled his nostrils.

With a sigh, Arnold took out ten gold coins from his magic bag and put it into the pouch.

“Take this. It might last for a while.”

“B-But.”

“The academy doesn’t allow its students to go outside the city during lunch break. And if you were to go back to the duchy then it’d take days to get back which will result in a hefty punishment. Remember that attendance points are important to students of the academy.” He pushed the pouch towards them, “What about you, Flora? Where will you be staying?”

She wasn’t a student of the academy so they wouldn’t allow her to enter the premises.

“I’ll rent an inn and become a mercenary for the time being. It’s not the first time I’ve done it.”

“I see. Well then, let’s order.”

The door of the restaurant opened up violently before Arnold could call a waiter.

“There! That’s the bitch!”

The young master had returned.

18