Chapter 96 Part 1: Back At The Palace(1)
526 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“S-Senior!”

Lizette’s shoulders jerked up in surprise when she heard the door open.

He just returned after his meeting with Freya York. He had to admit that that woman was indeed strange. Whatever this “second reason” was probably meant that it was a very big deal.

“Ah, sorry for coming in so late,” he threw his blazer on the bed. Even though he was wearing his uniform, he never went to any of his classes.

It was redundant to have even put it on this morning.

“Oh, something smells delicious,” Arnold caught a whiff of something wonderful.

“I-I’m making something to eat.”

“Wait, you can cook?”

“I-Is that surprising?” she laughed awkwardly, “I lived alone the past few years so I taught myself at some point…”

“I’m pretty sure that there isn’t a single girl of noble birth in this academy who can cook.”

That was because they grew up privileged, never having to do anything for themselves except wipe their asses and eat. The servants basically did everything else for them.

The commoner girls could do a lot of things better than noble girls. That was why the boys at the academy preferred them over noble girls. Some nobles were very traditional, meaning that their cultures was like the earth’s middle ages. Women were considered the ones who take care of the children and their husbands, do the cooking sometimes, etc…

Although everyone could hire maids, some prefer it more if their wives did all the work. This would make them prideful about being men. That was just how noble society worked unless the woman had any real talent.

“I’ll dish some up for you too, senior.”

‘I feel a little guilty having to eat the food she spent her money on though…’

Maybe this was her thanking him for buying sweets to welcome her? He could see a few cake wrappers that were laying empty on the kitchen counter so Lizette must’ve eaten some of it.

“Can you pack it in a lunchbox? I have to go somewhere later.”

“B-But it’s almost nighttime.”

“That’s why I’m going at this time.”

‘The monsters should be more active as well.’

Arnold wanted to go into the forest. He wanted to see if he could gain some level experience when killing the monsters in the forest. If not then he could always go clear a dungeon alone.

‘No, I should wait first.’

His practical exams was next week and the written exams was two months after that. He knew that it would be a pain to clear a dungeon alone. He might even be too exhausted to do his practical exam when the time came.

That was why he stuck to going into the forest instead. He could leave anytime compared to a dungeon that would take weeks to fully explore and kill every monster. He would be wasting his own time and energy.

‘Man, and I was so enthusiastic when I heard that there were so many dungeons around the empire…’

He had to take into account the dangers as well. This wasn’t the game where he’d spawn back at a nearby temple after dying.

Arnold looked at Liz’s back as she put his share into a lunchbox.

‘Her hair is ridiculously long. What the hell…’

“Can I ask you a question?”

“…” she nodded silently.

“Why are you hiding your face with your hair? Are there people here that you don’t like and you don’t want them to recognize you?”

“T-That’s… Yes, that’s it! I was bullied a lot by those people… And now they’re here too!”

‘Ah, I see. Well, as a former loner I was also bullied in the past so I can relate.’

“Is that so. Sorry for asking something so personal. Oh, and thanks for the food.”

“Y-You’re welcome.”

‘Hmmm, she sure stutters a lot. Am I making her uncomfortable?’

“I’ll go take a quick bath before leaving,” Arnold went towards his closet and pulled out a familiar outfit and sword.

Nova’s gear and clothes.

“When will you be back?”

“Maybe a few days?”

“…Aren’t you going to attend classes?”

“I don’t need to since I’m technically recovering. Just tell whoever asks that I’m still injured.”

“O-Okay.”

Arnold headed into the bathroom to prepare to leave.

Back at the palace.

The Empire’s nobles were currently standing in front of the Emperor. Each of them came here to relay complaints of the matters that had been decided over the course of these past months.

The biggest complaint he had received from all 233 nobles who came today was—within expectations—about the Undead Queen.

Some merchant companies from other nations pulled back their support to the nobles so many of them were left with a lot of crops but nowhere to sell them to. The nobles got most of their funds from selling to others so this was a big problem.

The companies that pulled their support all had different complaints but most of them were about Brynhildr.

Many of the companies were afraid that her presence would negatively affect their business.

“Why can’t my son just come home and rule in my place…” Jurnick creaked his neck when all the nobles left.

Only he and his closest subordinates—the Great Nobles—remained in the throne room.

“What do you all think I should do about the complaints of my people?”

“Ignore them.” Ariane was the one who said that.

Jurnick looked at her, bewildered, “If I did that before then my head wouldn’t be on my shoulders right now.”

“What Ariane is trying to say is that if you keep listening and abiding by your nobles’ complaints then they will think you’re gullible, Your Majesty.” Vance intervened.

‘Ah, I see. Ariane has never been good with words so I can see now why she said that.’

But an emperor had to make sure that his people was happy. If he didn’t then another war might start. The previous one almost left this nation in shambles had Julius not escaped when monsters attacked the borders.

Freya was the one who handled all the monsters that crossed into this world. They were believed to have come from the 《Intermid》. This was a realm that separates man from beast and was foretold to have existed even before the ancient ones went extinct.

The realm was between this world and the demon world. It wasn’t just a few kilometers across, though. In fact, Freya had found that it was an entirely new world that exists beyond those borders.

Monsters were known to have come from that realm when time became a concept in this world. These monsters weren’t just your average level 1 rabbits or measly dungeon bosses from around the empire. No, they were monsters that were comparable to lords.

It was ridiculous for people to think a prince could handle that on his own when all his men died back then. But he now had the empire’s elite troops at his command.

Through the thousands of years of humanity’s rule on this continent, they had made new technology to detect when rifts in the barrier would open. This in turn will alert the mages enlisted in the Imperial Army and they will neutralize the threat.

If monsters were to come out in hordes then the enemy nations would take the opportunity to attack the border and cross into the empire’s lands.

The border stretched from the Intermid until the empire’s lands in a straight line. There were two sides to the border, the Empire’s troops and fortresses being on the right side and the other nations being on the left. The Province of Zrek was currently helping the Imperial Army.

If chaos were to ensue then enemies would need to defeat the Province of Zrek first before crossing the empire’s lands.

Jurnick was all the more aware that many nobles and foreign regions wanted to invade if they slip up even a little at the border.

He could only pray that his son could keep the alliance they had with the Province firm and rule the border with pride. He was bearing the name of Eulia behind him, after all. His actions impacted how the common folk and nobles see the Emperor.

If Julius wanted to be Emperor then he had to maintain the respect people had for the imperial family.

“Circumstances are different now since I sent my imperial army…” Jurnick mumbled.

“Isn’t it strange how that vampire went silent these past few months?” Feldina wondered, “I thought that she would’ve taken advantage of the peace treaty the empire made with her nation.”

“Advantage? How?” Ariane asked.

“By sinking her teeth into the other nations that we’ve allied with over the generations this empire has stood. Be it sending humanitarian aid or men to fight for them.”

‘Hmm, that does seem plausible. Many of the cities that we’ve recaptured from troublesome lords would jump at this opportunity.’

Jurnick didn’t know why but many of the cities on the land of the empire had been in a decline ever since the civil war. The imperial and crown faction’s battles had singlehandedly caused such a domino-effect.

Many competent lords had died in that two month-long war. This forced their sons or daughters to take over. Jurnick met with all of them to acknowledge that they would become the lords of their late fathers’ cities. That was an emperor’s responsibility since they were his nobles.

He could count on one hand how many of them impressed him with their capabilities. The others were just utter garbage. Education-wise and manner-wise.

There was also the cities which had been forcibly taken during the civil war. Jurnick couldn’t just take the cities back since he divided his manpower to the Great Ridge, the Intermid border and the five cities of the empire. He was like a tree without leaves to protect the birds sitting atop one of his branches.

Only the Great Nobles’ armies were protecting the imperial family against any outside threats.

“Even if Selia was that crafty, I doubt any of them would know how to use the power given to them. Idiots with power are still idiots, after all.”

‘Why am I remembering Jurius when saying that…’

Jurnick noticed that Marcus had a troubled expression on his face.

“What’s the matter, Duke Berkley?”

He didn’t call him “Marcus” since the Prime Minister was standing right next to him. There were also servants standing in multiple corners of the throne room.

“Forgive my asking, Your Majesty but wouldn’t it be better if I went towards the border and took over the role as Supreme Commander?”

Ariane, Vance and even Feldina had frowns on their faces.

If Marcus left then a considerable amount of their strength as the Great Nobles would be lost.

Jurnick had expected this question. Because he expected it, he already had an answer to it.

“I need you here more than anything. Dying at a border without seeing your new son become the duke is no way to go.”

“But think about the merits in doing so,” Marcus didn’t back down, “If Julius returns then he can become the emperor. The only reason he went to fight on the border personally is because we lack a supreme commander for that division. We need a man who can protect the backs of our people while our emperor and his closest subordinates protects the front.”

“I understand where you’re coming from. Truly, I do but what made you decide this? I was under the impression that you would retire as duke in five years and live the rest of your days in the capital where you belong as a direct subordinate.”

“…I don’t need to worry about the enemies of my household anymore since Arnold won’t be succeeding me. My two wives are very capable in running the household alone. My mistresses are also there to assist. What need is there for me to be here besides protecting the crown?”

“Isn’t that an important task?” Jurnick wasn’t angry that Marcus would ask such a thing. He actually appreciated that Marcus was so frank when speaking from his heart. The flattery of nobles had gotten on his nerves lately.

“That task would be meaningless when Julius returns to rule.”

‘Hmm… He’s right. If my son returns after the duties was handed to Marcus then I can retire. Everyone—even people we’re allied with—would agree to make Julius Emperor.’

Jurnick didn’t want to rule the rest of his life and only give the throne to Julius or Ronia after he dies.

‘But if I allow this then the condition that I made beforehand would also be meaningless.’

The condition was that if Julius successfully stops the invaders across the borders for three years then he would become Emperor. But if he ran back home without having accomplished anything then Ronia would become the Emperor.

It was a risky situation that Jurnick intentionally created. This was to teach both of them that becoming the Emperor had many risks and difficult decisions. Turns out that the former applied only to Julius.

Julius could’ve rejected his father’s order, of course, but he didn’t. He knew that the support from his people would skyrocket if he returned victorious.

However.

The greater the expectation, the greater the disappointment.

“I’ll think about it, Duke Berkley. This decision would impact my son’s reputation as well. Whether that be good or bad, we’d have to find out.”

“Thank you for your understanding,” Marcus lowered his head and stood up.

“Where are you going? The meeting isn’t over yet.” Ariane grabbed Marcus’ arm as he was about to pass by Vance.

“Let him be, Countess Marldor. I’m sure all of you are tired from constantly sitting in these meetings.”

‘He’s definitely going to visit his mistress.’ Jurnick knew all too well why Marcus was in such a hurry so he made up an excuse since the four of them hadn’t rested at all ever since they came here.

A man who protected the crown daily ought to have some needs fulfilled.

“Ah, finally…”

“Yay!”

“Ah, then we shall be taking our leave.”

Ariane, Feldina and Vance answered respectively.

◇◇

Jurnick was currently sitting in his office after dismissing all the servants. The reason was because a certain someone wanted to meet with him.

He looked at the family portrait that hanged on his right side.

His entire family was there which included his three wives, Olivia, Julius, Jurius, Ronia and his remaining four children which were two boys and two girls.

‘Everyone was like a family back then.’ He remembered how inseparable his eldest four children was. Olivia, Julius, Ronia and Julius spent a lot of time together when they were young, ‘Now everything is in shambles. The memories they shared and promises that were made.’

He knew that it was the succession that divided them like this. He wouldn’t be surprised if one of his children was killed tomorrow or the next day by an opposing faction. Besides the imperial faction, there were many smaller factions—including the Commoner Faction—which supported Ronia’s rise to the throne.

The Crown Faction wasn’t as divided as they were. Instead, they were a single faction which had different opinions but the same goal. His eldest son and first born, Julius had made that possible.

“Maybe I should also just retire in five years. If my son returns from the frontlines then a bloodbath is bound to happen. Even if it won’t be on the scale of the civil war, I should still stay as the ruler until everything calms down.”

If Julius were to succeed immediately after returning home then lots of discontent would arise from his enemies. Some might even be brazen enough to actually attempt to kill a member of his family.

Besides his legitimate children from his three wives, Jurnick had twenty other children from multiple women that he met over the years. They were bastard children but that didn’t mean that they didn’t belong to the imperial family.

For some reason, all of them chose to support Ronia instead of Julius. Similarly, his four children from his second and third wives joined hands with Julius instead of Ronia.

But quantity didn’t equate to quality. This meant that the four of them had much better upbringing than the twenty bastard children.

Anyone could tell which side was better if one looked at their skills and education.

A knock came from the door, interrupting Jurnick’s thoughts.

--It’s me, Dear.

“You may come in, Roseria.”

The door opened and a woman entered soon after. She seemed to have come back from meeting someone since she was wearing a very fancy gown.

Jurnick couldn’t understand why his wife remained this beautiful and youthful the past 20 years that they had been married. She was like a flower that never withers.

“My wife is always so busy. It makes me sad that I have to leave all those things up to you.”

“Don’t fret about it,” Roseria said before sitting on one of the couches in the room, “I should serve my country in other ways if there is no need to bear heirs anymore. Well, that might change.”

“Dear…”

“When is Julius coming home?” Roseria pretended not to hear him call out to her.

“I… I’m not sure.”

A self-mocking laughter came out of her mouth.

“Five months. That’s how long it’s been since I’ve found out. Do you realize how hurtful it is for me to not know how my children are doing? Ronia never shows her own face in the palace even during our meals. Olivia outright avoids even meeting unless necessary. Then there’s my eldest who went away for whatever reason which I only found out a few months after his departure. I can’t send letters to him or have my handmaidens take clothes and necessities to him.”

“…I should’ve discussed this with you but…”

“Forget it.” Roseria quickly shut him down.

Jurnick knew that his wife was stubborn and that “Forget it” meant that she didn’t want to talk about it at all anymore.

“Haa… Then what can I do for you?”

Roseria took something out of her bag. It seemed to be a contract or something similar.

“What’s this?” Jurnick picked it up and read through it, “…What do you need this much money for?”

The paper in his hand was a request to take money from the treasury. The amount was what made him speechless.

Two million gold. Whether in supplies, materials or raw gold. The sum of it all had to add up to two million.

“I want to send this money to Arnold.”

“What…? Why would you do that?”

“The boy was kicked out of his own residence and city and told to become a fief lord with no money under his name. James Caervil’s territories belong to him, sure, but the tax payers money that he has to receive would be used to fix that dump of a city. He can’t even sell the territories since it wasn’t his to begin with but something he earned after overthrowing the original owner. Now tell me, would anyone buy those lands after hearing that the one who owns it killed the previous owner?”

Roseria spoke without delay. She didn’t give Jurnick a chance to interrupt.

“First of all…” Jurnick rubbed his eyes, “He was not kicked out of his father’s city. Marcus told me that he gave Arnold a choice. Either he works in a plot of land his father gave him or he gets his own city with its surrounding regions. The latter choice is the best since the land had been untouched by humans for decades. Only basic farms exist around the villages.”

“Do you realize how dangerous it is for him to be alone in that city without an army of his own to protect him?”

“Army… Are you thinking of hiring soldiers for him? That’s a bad investment since this request form is a fixed amount, Rose.”

“So what? I can send more in the future.”

“Rose, he is independent from this empire. This was established by the previous city lord when he rebelled against us. Since Arnold now owns that city, he is without a nation. I still consider him a Berkley but only in name.”

Meaning he didn’t see Arnold as Marcus’ son.

“What… do you mean by independent?”

“The plot of land surrounding it and the city itself is not under my or my court nobles’ control. Even the empire’s merchants dare not to travel through the city. They don’t go near it because there are rebels in that city waiting to steal their supplies. It would be even worse if they see our flag and figure out the merchants’ route.”

“Why don’t you just order a clean sweep of those people then? You do realize that ordinary citizens also live there, right?”

“My hands are tied, Rose. That city might be small but its population consist mostly of criminals. And how would my men know who are the criminals and who are the ordinary citizens?”

“….” Roseria stayed quiet. She put her finger on her chin and frowned as if she made up her mind about something, “Then can’t we make his city a part of this empire again?”

“That’s impossible, Rose. Many would protest against that decision.”

Whitage city itself was a barren land except for its surrounding regions. The ecosystem was probably larger than even the forests surrounding the empire. The mountain ranges made the area even larger.

Arnold ruled a land almost twice the size of his own father’s regions. But that land was like an empty treasure box. It was fancy outside from a glance but had nothing of value inside.

This means that the land might be large but it couldn’t be used to benefit the empire. There were no goldmines, crystal dungeons or rare herbs that grew there. Nothing in that land was valuable besides the space.

Jurnick wouldn’t make the land part of the Empire even if he wanted to. They would only sit with a city and its surrounding land. They couldn’t even expand by cutting down the vegetation since the area was so dangerous and filled to the brim with monsters. The monster zone deep in the forest was also rather troubling.

Also, due to the difficult terrains between the city and the empire, you could only enter the city through its forest.

“If we look at the statistics, the land is useless to us. I’m not saying that Arnold doesn’t have the necessary skills to change that. In fact, being the former heir he must’ve gone through rigorous training to ensure he could manage Marcus’ city.”

Problem was that the current Arnold didn’t have a clue on how to manage a city. But they didn’t need to know that.

“The nobles who stayed behind after the slaughter of the previous ruler and his family might be of some use. I’ll take a look at their qualifications and decide whether to make them this empire’s nobles—”

Roseria suddenly stood up. She grabbed a pen and slammed in on his desk.

“Instead of trying to deviate from the subject, why don’t you just say no, dear husband?” there was a vein on her temple.

‘Not good.’

She was also smiling for some reason which gave Jurnick a bad feeling. His wife was mad at him.

“I…”

“Sign here, please.”

“Roseria.”

“Sign here, please.” She repeated while looking at him with arched eyebrows.

Jurnick held back a sigh. Of course she would be mad. He was blatantly telling her that he had no interest in helping a boy she adores with all her heart.

Jurnick couldn’t even remember a time when any of the children he had with her had happy memories with their mother. They would always avoid her due to how busy they always were.

Julius had moved out of the palace immediately after turning 15 to live in a villa in another district. This was because he was already married by that time so he didn’t need to stay at the palace as a married man.

Ronia was a recluse who only came out of her tower to eat, bathe, or go to the library. She’s been this way ever since she was a child. That meant that Roseria and Jurnick hadn’t had quality time with their daughter for 26 years besides eating dinner together.

Then there was Olivia who had lots of hobbies and wanted to be good at everything. She had no particular talent so Jurnick advised her to try out different things. He regretted telling her this since it was his fault that his daughter never spent that much time with her mother.

The three of them had their moments with Roseria but that could only be counted on one hand.

Then there was Arnold who visited the palace nearly every time he was at the capital. He had an odd way of growing up since they moved around a lot ever since he was a child. He also moved around due to educational purposes which he could only fulfil when he was in the empire.

Because he was almost always here during his youth, Arnold visited the palace every day to play with Olivia. Many times Celeste and Grace would be with him.

‘Hmm, I swear there was another boy with them but I can’t remember his name.’

If Olivia was too busy and the others couldn’t come then Arnold would stroll around the palace. He was only a child so Jurnick thought it was fine for him to wander around the imperial palace.

Arnold would go to the Inner Palace many times to eat the buns and croissants he bought for his playdates. He would share those with Roseria and the other consorts if Olivia wasn’t around.

He wasn’t just a smooth talker with girls but older women too from a young age. He was always seen laughing and sharing stories with them.

Because of this the other wives absolutely adored Arnold. Especially Roseria who was the closest to him.

He was like her fourth child. Even if he wasn’t the same as he was back then, their past together didn’t change.

Jurnick finished signing the request documents.

“Spend the money wisely, Rose…”

She didn’t even glance at him and only took the paper before leaving his office. She closed the door loudly which made a bang resonate.

Jurnick wondered to himself, ‘What will she do with the money if not to buy soldiers?’

16