After the End Chapter 6
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Debbie was stubborn. Some people might consider that a weakness, but she thought it was her greatest strength. She got through uni at times fueled by pure spite and bloody-mindedness. There was no way she was going to quit and allow anyone to think she wasn't good enough.

The voice in the dream was another example of her stubbornness making a difference. Whereas others accepted the words of the voice immediately, Deb's first reaction was “bullshit!” In fact it took 3 nights before she finally accepted everything and began to plan. Even then, there was a little scepticism remaining.

Although unknown to her, her starting attributes were pretty good:

Debbie (Citizen)

Level 0

Experience (xp) 0/50

Intelligence 11

Strength 14

Stamina 11

Agility / Dexterity 12

Health 38/40

Deb had slightly strained her bicep tendon the day before, and she thought this was the reason for her health not being at maximum. Although her arm was perfectly usable, it was a little uncomfortable. She wasn't surprised to see that her strength score was the best of her starting abilities, although she knew they would change, and she would unlock more, as she progressed. She was a little disappointed her stamina score wasn't higher though. She didn't realise that an average human score would be ten for each ability.

Her inventory was interesting, as well as a utilitarian set of beige clothes, and a small backpack, she'd been given a single-handed mace as a starting weapon. It consisted of a heavy wooden handle, approximately fifty centimetres long, with a copper coloured metal ball at the end. There was a cloth bound handgrip at the opposite end. Debbie imagined herself giving something a whack with it, and smiled to herself.

She mentally clicked on the link to open the shop, and was briefly excited to see that she had 3 silver coins, then less excited when she realised that the only things she could afford was a small pouch of beef jerky for 5 copper, or a Glow Ring, which would illuminate a small area surrounding her whilst worn, for 2 silver. She decided to keep her money for now.

Debbie decided to see what tasks were available to her, the options were:

Option 1. Deliver a small package to the Guard Post at South Otten. Danger: minimal. Reward: 20xp, 1 silver piece.

Option 2. There have been reports of mysterious night-time activity near the hamlet of West Otten. Patrol the area until daybreak. Danger: some risk. Reward: 30xp, 1 silver piece, 3 copper pieces.

She considered the options for a moment, before deciding that the second option would be the one most likely to give her a chance to use her mace. Deb was concerned about patrolling an area in the dark however, so she decided to purchase the glow ring. Once she'd completed the transaction, she selected the second option to begin her mission. There was a brief moment of light-headedness, almost a falling sensation...

Debbie was standing in a dimly lit room, there was a small fire burning in the grate, and an oil lamp hanging from a hook in wooden rafter above her. In front of her stood a stout, middle-aged woman, with a weathered face.

“Now then young one, be careful out there. I hesitate to send you out on a night like this, but with the men all away at the front, someone needs to do it.”

Front? Thought Debbie Like in a war?

“Don't try to be a hero. Just have a good look around and see if you can spot anything unusual. At sunrise come back here, I'll have tea and pancakes, along with your payment, waiting for you.

After smiling and nodding at the woman, Deb turned towards the heavy wooden door and stepped outside. Her first thought was Wow! It's really dark! There were only about a dozen buildings in this hamlet, and they had their windows covered with wooden shutters, blocking light from within. There were no lanterns lit outside at all. What little light there was came from the half-moon. The moon was a good clue that Debbie was no longer on Earth. It was BIG, or at least it appeared bigger, than she was used to. It could just be closer? She pondered to herself. Deb slipped on the ring she bought earlier, it fit perfectly, and was instantly surrounded by a warm glow which seemed to extend a few metres in every direction. It wouldn't be good for seeing anything outside the perimeter of the glow, but at least it would prevent her from tripping over anything and give her a second or two of warning if anything approached her.

There was a rutted cart track running through the centre of the Hamlet, with houses on one side, and several other buildings, including a stable and a blacksmith's forge on the other. There was no inn or other meeting place here. There was a mini-map on Debbie's HUD, that showed the cart track running for about 100 metres beyond the last building, before it met a small stream. If she listened carefully, Deb could hear the sound of the water in the distance. She examined the mini-map a moment longer, before deciding to follow the track to the stream, before doubling back and walking in a circuit around the hamlet, behind all of the buildings.

Although she wasn't aware of the actual time here, she had a countdown timer showing that indicated three and a half hours remaining. With her mace in her hand, and her backpack tightened, she started walking slowly down to the stream. Deb was a little nervous, as the whole situation was completely alien to her. Unlike a few of her friends she'd never really played video games, She had a boyfriend at school a few years back who played FIFA, but this wasn't really the same thing.

As well as the darkness, Debbie was struck by how quiet it was here. Apart from the gently bubbling stream, there were no other sounds. No distant hum of traffic here. It was unnerving. What am I even looking for? Thought Deb. Will I still get rewarded if nothing happens?

Then the atmosphere took a sudden turn. The soft sound of the water running in the stream was replaced by a loud splashing. There was a deep guttural growl, then more splashing. Every fibre of her being was urging Debbie to turn around and patrol away from here. She overcame her fear however and stepped forward, towards the mysterious sounds coming from the water, slipping off the glow ring and taking a moment for her eyes to adjust as she went. There was a dark shape in the stream, as her night-vision improved she could make out its silhouette. Some sort of bear? It was shorter than her, she thought it was maybe only two-thirds her height, although it was hard to tell.

The splashing stopped, and the growling returned. Two bright ovals appeared as the beast turned its head towards her. Debbie's stomach felt like lead. She froze, but the creature didn't, it sprang towards her, making a huge leap. The beast had long, powerful legs like an over-sized frog. Debbie finally reacted a moment before it landed, drawing back her mace and swinging it overhand, bringing it down on the top of the monster's furry skull. The vibration as the metal head of the mace made contact, traveled up Deb's arm, making her sore bicep tendon complain. There was a loud, satisfying, thud. The monster fell prone to the ground. Deb hit it again, and again. A thick warm liquid splashed across her face and upper body. She realised it was blood. The creature had stopped moving.

ENEMY DEFEATED – REWARD 5XP

The message flashed up upon Debbie's HUD, she sank to her knees on the muddy bank of the stream, and started sobbing.

Time passed, finally Debbie got to her feet. She felt exhausted, and her right arm was extremely painful. Her legs were stiff and her knees ached. Something thick and disgusting was drying on her cheek. She realised the horizon was slightly lighter. How long had she been there? She checked her HUD, there were seventeen minutes left on the timer.

The glow ring slid back onto Deb's finger, allowing her to get a look at the monster she dispatched. Covered in matted brown fur, with streaks of drying blood in it, it was, as she thought, about 60-70% the size of a person. It had large, oval, eyes, and a short snout with a mouth containing interlocking dagger-shaped teeth. The most striking feature though, were its long, muscular legs, that probably made up over half the weight of the creature.

Debbie steeled herself, and grabbed the ankle of the beast with her left hand, She began dragging the carcass towards the house she started from. She had a feeling the woman would want to see this.... thing. Although she had to stop a couple of times for a break, she made it back just as the timer ran out.

The door opened, just as the sun first peaked over the horizon. The lady of the house looked at Deb, frowned, and then saw the corpse of the monster for the first time.

“By the Creator! What in the world is that?” “Well done girl! Come inside and wash yourself whilst I make you a pancake!”

Without warning, Debbie was falling. She closed her eyes, and when she opened them, she was looking at the poster of Johnny Depp on her wall.

Mission Complete!

Reward 30xp, 1 silver, 3 copper.

Skill Unlocked – Sudden Strike. Gives a 10% damage bonus, and a 5% accuracy bonus to your first attack in a fight. Melee weapons only.

Well, that wasn't so bad, Deb thought to herself, then she moved her right arm and winced with pain. She checked her status screen:

Debbie (Citizen)

Level 0

Experience (xp) 35/50

Intelligence 11

Strength 14

Stamina 11

Agility / Dexterity 12

Health 32/40

Skills: Sudden Strike level 1.

Items:

Basic Clothing.

Backpack

Glow Ring

Mace

2 Silver, 3 copper.

Only fifteen more experience and I'll reach level 1, I wonder what that will mean? Deb speculated. Perhaps I'll get more mission options? Or better stuff to buy? Although she didn't realise it, she was a gamer at heart, and she was getting hooked on a “game” for the first time.

She went to the kitchen and grabbed a couple of Ibuprofen, and a bag of frozen peas to put on her arm. I need to get this fixed so I can do another mission!

0