Chapter 7
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stevo had been busy over the last few days. He'd completely read his first aid book from cover to cover. He'd also gone down a Youtube rabbit-hole one evening and spent a couple of hours watching first aid videos. Although he still wouldn't consider himself an expert by any means, he felt he had a basic understanding of treating minor injuries. He'd shelved the idea of building a custom first aid kit for now, instead he'd found a large kit online for sixty quid, he figured he could always add to it later. He'd also decided to keep an eye out for a first aid course. St. John's Ambulance ran them fairly regularly, so he'd find one soon on a day that suited him.

Despite his initial thoughts about getting some archery lessons. Stevo had so far been unable to find somewhere to do it. It was a good idea, he was sure of that, but he'd need to shelve it for now and keep an eye out for a course or something. As a last resort, he'd buy a bow online and try to teach himself, but he really didn't know where to start, or have space to practice.

An area where Stevo had had some success, was in improving his strength and fitness. The previous evening he'd visited the local gym, the Power Station, where a squat, chunky, guy called Kahlil had given him a tour and started him out on a basic full body workout. At the time, Stevo had enjoyed the feeling he got from the exercise, but at this exact moment he was aching in places he didn't know he had! He was planning on going twice a week to start with. Kahlil had asked him what he wanted out of his training, when he replied “To get stronger”, Kahlil had said something about “Another one for Powerlifting”, but Stevo wasn't sure what he meant by that, and didn't ask.

Work was dull as ever. The only change was that he was slightly busier. It was approaching 5pm already, and Stevo knew he'd be staying late by at least half an hour. He didn't mind that much, but the occasional “Thank you” from those in charge would be nice.

“Stay late, it doesn't get noticed, but leave 5 minutes early and there is hell to pay!” Muttered Stevo to himself.

It was actually 6pm by the time Stevo drove out of the company car park. Ordinarily after a long day at work he'd grab a take away to eat for dinner, but he was trying to be healthier so he bypassed the Chinese take-away, and the chicken shop, on the way home. He had a chicken breast, some mushrooms, and some onions at home, which he made into a stir-fry and stuffed a couple of Pitta breads with. Rather than a beer, he washed it down with a blood-orange San Pellegrino. Tory Fanta his father called it.

Food eaten, and washing up done, Stevo was at a bit of a loose end. Five minutes of channel hopping on the TV, finding nothing more appealing than an ancient episode of M*A*S*H, and he'd made the spur of the moment decision to try another mission.

He sat back in his armchair, relaxed, and opened his status screen. The first thing he did was check to see what items were for sale as he now had 4 silver coins. The items had updated since he last looked. The Gladius he was interested in was still there, and still slightly out of his reach for now. The only other item he saw that interested him was a “Minor Potion of Healing”, it cost 5 copper coins, but would immediately heal ten health points of damage, and slightly accelerate healing for a period after being taken. Stevo decided to spend the silver coin he earned last time and purchase two of these. They went into his backpack. With those potions in case of an emergency, he felt far more confident. Time to see what the options were:

Option 1. Something has been taking chickens from a farm near Green Hills. Guard the livestock overnight. Danger: Slight Reward 20xp, 1 Silver Coin.

Option 2. Several goats have been taken from a farm near Green Hills. Guard the livestock overnight. Danger: Moderate Reward 30xp, 1 silver coin, 5 copper coins.

Not much of a choice thought Stevo. Was the second mission deemed harder as it was likely to be a larger monster taking goats than chickens? Stevo decided to take the easier option once again, although he was tempted to take the second option to get the XP needed to level up. It was Saturday tomorrow, he'd do another mission tomorrow and level up, all being well. No need to hurry.

He selected the first option with his mental cursor, and felt the falling feeling once more.

“What's your name lad?” A tall, yet skinny, balding old man wearing dirty beige overalls and stout leather boots addressed Stevo. The Farmer?

“Stevo. What do you need me to do?”

Take that club of yours, and wander around the area near the chicken coop until sunrise. Just you being there should keep things quiet, but if it doesn't, give anything you see a good whack!”

“At first light, I'll come and bring you a sandwich and pay you. Good hunting lad!”

With that, the farmer wandered off towards his small stone house, and the sun dipped below the horizon. Stevo knew it would be dark shortly, so he took a look around, before grabbing a bale of straw, pulling it over to the entrance of the coop, and sitting down. The coop was surrounded by a fence made of stout upright poles, with centimetre diameter twigs woven between them. It was designed more to keep the chickens in, than keep anything else out, Stevo thought. There was a clear area about the size of a tennis court in front of the coop

Whilst he was pondering the nature of chicken coops, night had fallen. Luckily for Stevo, the large silvery moon was providing quite a lot of light, as he had no other illumination. He listened carefully, alert to any unusual sound. After a while though, his attention levels naturally began to fall, and he found himself daydreaming about being on holiday in Spain, relaxing on a sun-lounger whilst Claire who used to work in billing rubbed sun cream into his back. He'd miss her, even though she'd never really given him a second glance.

CRACK!

A twig snapped to his left, bringing Stevo back to the present. A tall dark silhouette loomed over him, he quickly jumped to his feet and drew back his club, The silhouette hissed at him, and lunged towards Stevo, whose club connected with a bony arm, obviously breaking it if the sound it made was any indication. There was a chilling scream, cut off by a thwack! As Stevo's club connected with skull this time. The creature, no THE FARMER fell to the ground.

Enemy Defeated – Reward 5xp!

As he examined the lifeless body of the farmer, it was obvious that it had undergone some changes after nightfall. Stevo could see in the moonlight that the farmer's fingers were unnaturally long, they reminded him of talons! His teeth had also become longer and more pointed. What to do now? Thinking of the RPG video games he sometimes enjoyed, he decided to “loot” the corpse, and checked the single pocket of the farmer's trousers. He was in luck, he found 3 copper coins. With a thought Stevo made them vanish, and they were added to his inventory.

Now what? He was supposed to wait until sunrise for the mission to complete. But would it complete now he'd killed the person he was working for? A nervous Stevo came to the conclusion that all he could do was wait and see. He finally noticed a countdown timer in his HUD, that reassured him somewhat, why hadn't he spotted it before? An hour and forty minutes to go apparently. He glanced over towards the corpse of the farmer, then realised his hands were shaking. He'd never taken a life before. Stevo wasn't sure if any of this was real, or some sort of simulation, but it felt real. He told himself that the farmer had obviously been possessed or something? If that were true, then he was already dead in a way? He hadn't actually killed a man?

Then Stevo realised that if society did collapse, he'd be likely to take more lives in the confusion that followed. There would be no time for introspection, or rationalisation.

He looked off towards the horizon, where the sky seemed to be lightening. The timer ticked down to zero...

Mission Complete!

Reward 20xp, 1 silver.

The sensation of falling was over almost as soon as it began. Stevo was back in his living room. According to the clock on his oversized TV, he'd been gone for about ten minutes!

He called up his status screen.

Stevo. (Citizen)

Level 0

Experience (XP) 45/50

Intelligence 12

Strength 12

Stamina 10

Agility / Dexterity 11

Health 50/50

Skills: Flee Danger level 1.

Items:

Basic Clothing

Simple Backpack

Wooden Club

Minor Potion of Healing x2

3 Silver, 3 Copper

Only 5 points away from level 1 thought Steve, and I never even got a scratch! Tomorrow, I'll do it for certain!

0