After the End C10
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a strange yet satisfying week for Debbie. It started on Monday, when she managed to get to level one at last. Then Deb's father came home from work and casually told her that he'd arranged an internship for her in his office. It was cleared with the “powers that be”, and that she could go to work with him the next day to fill out the paperwork and look around. The rest of the week had been filled with learning everyone's names, and getting to grips with the first “proper” job she'd ever had. The majority of the time, she'd spent doing data entry, but she'd answered the phone and taken a few messages as well. The job was for six weeks and only paid minimum wage, but they might keep her on if she did well.

Apart from going to work with her Dad, she'd got down to the gym a couple of times. She'd felt a bit lethargic and only really gone through the motions. Perhaps because she wasn't used to training after a day at work yet? The workouts had made her feel good though, and she was sure she'd adapt.

Despite all her enthusiasm, Deb hadn't done another mission. She was itching to get back to the other place and improve further though. Perhaps this afternoon after the gym? Kahlil had asked her to come to the gym today. He said he wanted to discuss something with her. Probably another Powerlifting contest or something. She'd be up for that, the last one she took part in was fun, and she got to really push herself and see what she could do.

So it was, that Debbie grabbed her gym-bag, her phone and her keys, before heading off to The Power Station.

Kahlil was sitting in the office at the gym, when he spotted Deb come in on the CCTV screen, a moment later she walked past his open door and said “Hi”. One here, one to go, Thought Kahlil, as he closed the bottled water and soft drink order he was doing. He'd been doing more and more around the place lately and felt like the owner was pushing his luck a bit. 11.15am, Stevo said he'd be here around midday. Time for a cup of tea. Kahlil had gone over what he was going to tell them a dozen times in his head, but he was still a little nervous.

Stevo meanwhile had woken up early, and taken advantage of the opportunity to visit Drebun. He appeared on the edge of the settlement, and quickly walked between two buildings towards the Inn. He'd met the innkeeper on his first mission, when he'd delivered a package to him at his house next door, but this was Stevo's first time inside the inn itself. He nodded and smiled at the innkeeper, before sitting on a rickety stool next to the bar.

Calling it a “bar” might be stretching the point a little. It was actually a semicircular chunk of a tree trunk, almost a metre in width, and maybe five metres long, with wooden legs driven into the underside. The top was mostly flat, although there were a few gouges and burn marks in the surface. In places it had been stained various shades by spilled drinks and other “liquids” over the years.

“Mornin' Lad, what can I get you?” asked the innkeeper with a friendly grin.

“Breakfast and a drink please!” replied Stevo, handing over the required copper coins.

The windows were small and looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in living memory. This combined with the small fire currently flickering in the grate made the inn dark and dingy. It was easy to hide in the corners should you wish to avoid attention. One person was doing just this. A young woman was perched on a stool, partially concealed behind a wooden post supporting the roof. Stevo had noticed her mostly because of the noisy way she chewed her food, and the loud slurping sound she made when she drank from her steaming mug of? Something. She wasn't unattractive by any means, but her table manners definitely needed a tune-up he thought to himself.

At that moment the innkeeper returned with Stevo's order. Breakfast appeared to be a rustic chunk of bread, a boiled egg of some sort, possibly a duck egg? And a piece of dark, meaty sausage that looked menacing, but actually tasted delicious. It was washed down with a pewter tankard of weak beer. It was surprisingly cold given the lack of refrigeration. Stevo took the opportunity to ask the innkeeper about his son, the guard, but apparently he was escorting a cart of vegetables to the coast, returning with some livestock. He'd be gone for maybe one or two days.

As Stevo had mostly come to see the guard, and also get a feel for the world before doing another mission, he finished his sausage (it was really quite good!) and left to return home. He noticed as he left the inn, the noisy woman was no longer present. He didn't notice her watching him from behind a cart laden with straw, or how as he stepped between two buildings and apparently vanished, she frowned menacingly.

Getting home, Stevo looked at the clock on his TV, and saw it was already after 11am. He'd told Kahlil he'd be at the gym around 12, so he needed to get a wriggle on! A quick in-and-out shower, throwing on his gym clothes, and grabbing his car keys took him up to 11.20am. Then a short drive, a search for a parking space, and he walked in at 11.45. Excellent.

“Morning Stevo”, greeted Kahlil as he walked in. “Go and do your workout, we'll chat in a bit.”

Stevo warmed up, noticing once again that the gym was pretty quiet as he did so. The intense girl was in again though. She looked amazing, Stevo was getting smitten. Stevo idly wondered if Kahlil knew her as he started a set of leg presses. Soon he was in the zone himself, ticking off the sets and the exercises in his notebook as he progressed through the program Kahlil had given him. He was sweating, and feeling physically drained by the time he finished. Stevo's mind however felt clear and sharp. He took a large gulp of his water, and walked over to the office to see what Kahlil wanted. As he got closer, he noticed there was someone already in with Kahlil, Stevo hesitated, not wanting to intrude, but Kahlil's bass tones called out,

“Come in Stevo, I want to introduce you to Debbie here, you guys have something in common.”

THE GIRL! Stevo was his usual calm, smooth, self. “I saw you. Training I mean.”

“People do that. In a gym.” Debbie replied coolly.

Kahlil suppressed a smile, and took control of the conversation.

“OK, now you are both here, we have a few things to discuss.”

“Powerlifting!” interjected Deb, excitedly.

“Amongst other things. I'm going to say something now, and I don't need you freaking out. I'm on your side here.”

“What?” Stevo and Deb asked in unison. They looked at each other briefly, then back at Kahlil.

The tension built for a moment as he studied them both.

“Civilization will fall. Earn the skills to build a society.”

They both looked at Kahlil in stunned silence, Stevo doing a particularly good impression of a goldfish, his mouth opening and closing soundlessly. Then they realised the full impact of what had been said, and they turned to each other.

“You!” accused Stevo.

“You?” questioned Debbie.

Kahlil continued. “I heard the call several years ago, and I've been working on getting my level up, and improving myself physically and mentally ever since. A few weeks ago, I had another dream. This time I was told I would need to mentor others. To prepare them for the challenges ahead, and guide them. I was told that the first two would come to me here. Here you are.”

Debbie And Stevo were still in shock. Stevo recovered first, and got his question out in a rush.

“What level are you?”

“There will be time for questions later, but first. What the FUCK have you been doing? Do you think this is a joke? A bit of fun?” Debbie started to respond, but Kahlil quickly cut her off.

“Civilization will fall. Not might fall. Not could fall. WILL FALL. You've both had weeks since you were recruited, and the pair of you have only just reached level one! Stop playing at it and get to work. You need to be a lot stronger for what lies ahead. We'll meet again in a week, and you both better be at least level three by then, or I'll kick your asses myself. Are we clear?”

Stevo nodded sheepishly, whilst Debbie stared intently at her feet, embarrassed to meet Kahlil's gaze.

“If you need to talk to me, need anything, or have questions, you can find me here. In the meantime, something you need to know is this... You can't die in the other place. Your health will reduce to zero, you'll feel agonizing pain that will last for hours, days even, but you won't die. On the other hand you CAN die here. Take a few risks, get strong in the other place as it will keep you alive here when it matters.”

Kahlil looked deep into their eyes, making sure they understood.

“Once you're a bit stronger, we'll talk about training together. For now though, you have work to do!”

0