After the End C11
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Debbie's emotions were all over the place. She was confused, angry, embarrassed and excited in equal measure. That there were others like her, in the same town even, was mind blowing. Kahlil was a pretty cool guy, which made his obvious disappointment in her progress even more embarrassing. She didn't know that Steve or Stevo (whatever!), but he seemed a little older than her. He also seemed a bit too enthusiastic about the “building a society” thing with her. Deb thought he might want to get a bit too hands-on when it comes to population growth. Eeew.

One thing was for sure, her inbuilt competitive instinct was not going to allow Stevo, or anyone else, to leave her behind. She was going to kick some butt!

Debbie pulled up her status screen.

DEBBIE'S ATTRIBUTES:

Debbie (Citizen)

Level 1

Experience (XP) 5/60

Intelligence 12

Strength 14

Stamina 12

Agility / Dexterity 12

Luck 12 (new unlock!)

Charisma 12 (new unlock!)

Health 42/42

Skills: Sudden Strike level 1.

Items:

Basic Clothing.

Backpack

Glow Ring

Mace

2 Silver, 8 copper.

Right now, her best attribute was her strength, and her weapon was a mace. The obvious thing to level up would be to find a mission where she could smash stuff! She'd also get some XP for any kills she made. No brainer! She'd show Kahlil she was serious, and Stevo that she isn't to be messed with!

Let's see what's available:

Option 1. The Temple at Green Hills has been overrun by undead. It is now infested by skeletal creatures. Join a party to clear the Temple. Danger: Extreme! Reward: 45XP, 3 Silver coins.

Option 2. Green Hills is a hotbed of Undead activity. Patrol the streets to keep the residents safe. Danger: Moderate. Reward: 25xp 1 Silver, 3 Copper coins.

Option 3. The Mayor of Green Hills is sending his wife and young son to safety in Drebun. Escort them on the first stage of their journey. Danger: Slight. Reward:15XP, 7 Copper Coins.

Three options rather than two, interesting! Although the third option was essentially a waste of time. She'd never get the levels she needed taking safe choices! Deb was torn between the guaranteed combat, but high rewards of the first option, and the fairly generous second option. What swung the decision, was when Debbie realised that a couple of kills raiding the temple would level her up, whereas even a successful completion of the second option would leave her well short of levelling. Let's do this! She took a deep breath, and was falling....

Debbie found herself standing in a dusty courtyard, just off the main road through the centre of Green Hills. It was almost dusk, and the darkness would soon be starting to close in. There were seven others gathered with her, in a loose circle surrounding a very tall man in a white robe who was addressing the group. The Priest?

“If I can get inside, and lay my hands on the altar, I can channel holy energy through me, and drive the abominations from the building. The trick will be getting me to the altar. There are several undead townspeople in the grounds, and there are at least half a dozen skeletal warriors backing them up.”

A large, bald man, with a salt and pepper goatee, carrying an enormous, rune-covered, axe, spoke up.

“Is there another way in? Perhaps a group can attack the main entrance, whilst you slip in with one or two others?”

“Yes” replied the priest.

“There is a small doorway on the east wall, towards the rear. Inside the door there are stairs to the left that descend into the crypt. Straight ahead is a second door that takes you into the main chamber. It will be locked, but I have the key. From there it is only a few short steps to the Altar.”

“Then we have our plan. I will take the majority of our men, and attack the front door. We'll slowly fall back, and try to draw the undead to the front to fight us. While this is going on, you will slip in the east door, escorted by Debbie and Jaak, and get to the altar.

Debbie looked across at Jaak, a young boy of perhaps sixteen? He was armed with a short sword, and met her gaze with a defiant look. Perhaps there was more to him than met the eye?

There were determined nods of agreement from the group, and they grabbed their things and headed out onto the main road leading to the temple. As they got close to the arched entrance to the temple compound, the big guy with the axe bade them good luck, and pointed off to the east side of the compound. Debbie nodded silently at the man, and along with her two colleagues, they broke into a jog along the low wall to the east of the temple. Moments later they heard shouts of “Charge!” coming from the rest of the group, followed by an eerie screech.

The priest led them through a small gap in the wall, and they quietly slipped down a narrow path, walking carefully in the twilight, to a simple door ahead of them. It was down two stone steps from the path. They silently listened. There were sounds of violence coming from the front of the building, but they heard nothing nearby. The door silently opened on well-oiled hinges, and they stepped inside. Jaak turned and went down the steps quietly to check the crypt, returning with a shake of his head. Good, nothing to fear from that direction.

The priest pulled a sturdy iron key from his robe and confidently unlocked the door, like a flash, the three of them were inside the main chamber. Debbie's eyes were quickly glancing in every direction, before settling on a horrifying sight. Between them and the altar stood a creature that radiated pure evil. Standing at least seven feet in height, it's skin was pale and translucent, thick black veins visible in the flickering candlelight. An overly-large bulbous head, was punctuated by a single large eye. In a heartbeat, it leapt towards the priest, stunning Debbie with it's speed and agility. Jaak however was more aware of the danger, and stepped in front of the priest, his sword already mid-swing. The giant Cyclops barely flinched as Jaak's sword bit into it's forearm, before it reached out and grabbed Jaak roughly by the throat, tossing him like a limp rag doll deep into the chamber, where he landed lifelessly in a crumpled heap.

Deb hadn't been idle, whilst this was happening she had stepped to the side and brought her mace back to strike at the back of the beast's neck. Unfortunately it turned at the last minute, and Debbie landed only a weak glancing blow, before a calloused fist pounded into her nose. There was an audible crack, a spray of blood, then for Debbie, darkness......

…....

….

Enemy Defeated – Reward 45XP

Mission Complete! Reward 45XP, 3 Silver Coins!

Level Up!

“Oooow! What happened?” Asked Debbie weakly.

“You are a hero young lady! The beast was distracted enough by you that I was able to get to the altar!” Replied the priest, who was gently pressing his hand against her forehead.

“You should have seen it Deb!” Exclaimed one of the others, whose club had several deep gouges in it, looking about ready to break.

“There was a bright flash of heavenly light, and the creatures just crumbled! Incredible!”

“Jaak?” Asked Debbie, this time with a little more strength in her voice.

“I'm sorry, there was just too much damage. I couldn't bring him back. He gave his life for a greater good, he will be rewarded in the ever-after.” Replied the priest.

“We'll make sure his family are taken care of.” Added the axe-man, the others nodding in agreement.

Falling...

Debbie was slumped on her bed leaning against the headboard. “I feel terrible” she muttered to herself as she weakly got to her feet. Looking in the mirror she was shocked at her pale complexion, and the dark circles around her puffy eyes. Her nose was reddened. She looked as bad as she felt.

Debbie looked at her status:

Debbie (Citizen)

Level 2 (Can distribute 3 upgrade points)

Experience (XP) 35/70

Intelligence 12

Strength 14

Stamina 12

Agility / Dexterity 12

Luck 12

Charisma 12

Health 14/42 (regenerating)

Skills: Sudden Strike level 1.

Items:

Basic Clothing.

Backpack

Glow Ring

Mace

5 Silver, 8 copper.

No wonder she felt terrible, that Cyclops had kicked her ass with a single punch! I need to get stronger before I face one of those again, she thought grimly. Debbie checked the shopping menu, and looked under “Food/Potions”. She found the “Minor Potion of Healing” that she'd used before. This time she bought four of them, for 2 silver. She immediately used one, and felt much better. The others she'd keep for the time being, they would be handy to have available.

Now she thought, her mind a little clearer, where to allocate my points? She'd been convinced that she needed more health, and the best way of achieving that seemed to be by increasing her stamina. That would help her keep going for longer in combat, or in other demanding situations also. Three points into stamina was the way forward. She noted the 6 point increase to her health with a grin.

“Getting there! Bet Stevo isn't doing as well!” Despite the pain, and an uneasy feeling that she had a long way to go, Debbie was pleased with herself.

She sent an SMS to her father and Claire, telling them both that she was feeling unwell and was going to bed. Hopefully they would let her rest for a while without disturbing her. The potion had helped, but polite conversation would take more concentration than she felt she could manage!

Debbie (Citizen)

Level 2

Experience (XP) 35/70

Intelligence 12

Strength 14

Stamina 15

Agility / Dexterity 12

Luck 12

Charisma 12

Health 34/48 (regenerating)

Skills: Sudden Strike level 1.

Items:

Basic Clothing.

Backpack

Glow Ring

Mace

3 Potions of Minor Healing.

3 Silver, 8 copper.

0